bought off steam during sale, but won't run. :(

#1 Posted by nixatron (126 posts) -

I bought "Mass Effect" off of steam during the sale. When I try to start it up, windows 7 tells me that there is a problem. When I hit the check for solutions button it just gives me a long list of things i dont understand. what is wrong? I really want to  start playing this game so i can move on to the next one!

#2 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Well, what's your videocard? Maybe giving us more info might help, that's a start.

#3 Posted by Raakill (870 posts) -

Locate the Mass Effect .exe file then right-click it and select properties, go to the "Compatibility" tab, set it "run as administrator" try to start it again.  Once that's done come back and post about how you get the "Failed to contact key server" error like everyone else who bought it during the sale.

#4 Posted by ChristianCastillo (1178 posts) -

computer specs bro

#5 Edited by cspiffo (868 posts) -

@hematurge said:

" Locate the Mass Effect .exe file then right-click it and select properties, go to the "Compatibility" tab, set it "run as administrator" try to start it again.  Once that's done come back and post about how you get the "Failed to contact key server" error like everyone else who bought it during the sale. "

Yeah, that one drove me nuts also when I played through the game.  This dudes right.  You need to run steam as an administrator. 

btw, Mass Effect runs great under Win7.  It's faaaaaarrr less buggy than running it under XP.
#6 Posted by nixatron (126 posts) -
@hematurge: thanks for you help. I'll try this tomorrow, but now i have to sleep, as i have a social studies final at 8:30 in the morning. 

my computer specs should be fine. my video card is definitely of no worry, the thing is a ati radeon 5870. 
#7 Posted by ribeye (411 posts) -
@hematurge said:
"Locate the Mass Effect .exe file then right-click it and select properties, go to the "Compatibility" tab, set it "run as administrator" try to start it again.  Once that's done come back and post about how you get the "Failed to contact key server" error like everyone else who bought it during the sale. "

haha, so true, i'm getting the key server thing too, they'll have us fixed up soon
#8 Posted by Laharl (350 posts) -

http://news.bigdownload.com/2009/08/25/download-mass-effect-v1-02-patch/

try to download the patch(i think thats the right one) i was having trouble with the configuration menu and that patch fixed the problem.

#9 Posted by Bellum (2944 posts) -

Game crashes every thirty minutes on my computer. talk about shitty port.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.