Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 20, 2007

Humanity is still a newcomer on the futuristic galactic stage, and it's up to the charismatic Commander Shepard to investigate the actions of a rogue agent while under threat from a dangerous synthetic race known as the Geth.

Can I talk to party members w/o romancing them?

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I'm playing through the Mass Effect games, still on the first, for the first time playing as femshep, because Jennifer Hale voice, and talking to Kaiden about maybe a fourth through the game. I wanted to delve into the personal backstory of the character like you can do with almost every character in the game, the "ask a personal question" option that so often pops up, but because he's a romance option he starts to question why I'm asking about him so much.

It gives you three options with one being the equivalent of "Yes mr game designer I would like to continue down this romance option", a neutral option, and a rather harsh renegade shutdown. When this comes up do I have to choose the harsh rejection to avoid it coming up again or can I choice the neutral option. Do I have to romance a given character to keep learning about their backstory and character?

It's not that big a deal for Kaiden as I'd be rather fine not talking to either him or Ashely for the rest of the game but this has come up with Liara as well and I actually want to learn more about her character without dealing with this.

I might be missing something obvious so forgive my ignorance with this franchise...

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I think that was mostly a problem in the first game, if I remember correctly. There will eventually be an option to shut down the romantic side of things (again, I think I remember this correctly), but until that point, some of the dialogue can seem a little too friendly and romantic. It's kinda dumb that you have to do it in that way, but I don't think there is much of a choice in the matter if you want to hear everything they have to say.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

You're not locked into a romance until a very particular moment near the end. So long as you don't pick the flirty options and keep talking to them after major missions you'll get their stories. You're never forced into romancing anyone, but if you start flirting with both romance options the game will make you choose but all that does is lock in your potential romance. You don't have to commit to anyone, even when it seems like you're about to cement the relationship. So just play it neutral if you're unsure and don't want to be a total dick to your crew.

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.