Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 20, 2007

Humanity is still a newcomer on the futuristic galactic stage, and it's up to the charismatic Commander Shepard to investigate the actions of a rogue agent while under threat from a dangerous synthetic race known as the Geth.

Does Mass Effect suck?

• 94 results
    outlawtotheend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Edited By outlawtotheend

Ok, as of now, I'm four hours into the original Mass Effect. I expected the game to have drawn me in by now but I'm not enjoying It at all. I'd heard such amazing things about this game and, although I was really late to the party, I was expecting a really good game. 
    But so far...so far the game isn't living up to my expectations at all.  
    So tell me, does Mass Effect only get good once you've played It for a while or is it just me?

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By ProfessorEss

I found the first 4 -6 hours wicked slow.
    It thought it got real good after I got out of the Citadel.

brodywb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By brodywb

I did not enjoy Mass Effect at all. I eventually gave up after driving the Mako for a while. Mass Effect 2, on the other hand, is fantastic. It is probably my favorite game that has came out this year. So even if you give up on the first one, I still recommend playing the sequel. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ryanwho

Well it actually has a main game story which is more than you can say about ME2. Niether are particularly fun to play. But if you have the PC version, I imagine there are some good mods that make it more manageable.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I enjoyed it very much from the beginning.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By Yummylee

The first is tougher for newcomers to get into in this day and age sadly. It's not a bad game imo. Infact I prefer it over ME2 but ME2 is definitely easier to just pick up and play.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RVonE

It might also be that the window to start with the first Mass Effect has passed. I mean, I still go back to ME to have a good time, but that is fueled by the fact that I played it when it first came out and that I'd been following every bit of information on that game leading up to its release. By today's standards, there are some very serious issues with that game.
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By AlwaysAngry

I fucking hate it and want to kill it and every developer at BioWare with a chainsaw. My biggest problem was that I played it for about 5-6 hours, and half of that was me being lost in the Citadel (or anywhere for that matter,) and the rest was me being completely confused as to where to go with only the thought of, "If these guys are shooting me, I guess I'm in the right place."

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By mazik765

I would say it does pick up, but if it's the gameplay and kind of sloppy shooting mechanics that is detracting from your enjoyment, they don't change. On the other hand, ME2 fixes all that stuff. But if you're going to play ME2 you are going to get way more out of it if you finish the first one and import your character.

outlawtotheend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By outlawtotheend

I'm on Noveria right now...I just drove the Mako up to...what's it called? Something 15...anyway, I'm seriously considering not finishing the game. I mean, I want to, I only just bought and started the game this week,  but I'm just finding it ridiculously boring.  
    I'm seriously considering just going back to get 100% in Red Dead Redemption

memo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By memo

its a slow game to get into.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Jeust

I felt it too boring, and it never picked up for me, still i went all the way to the ending, in hope of a major twist - never happened. :( 

Still i loved the Mako. Exploring inhabited planets is such a blast! 

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#12  Edited By Jazz

....no, its great. 
    Even from that start its great. 
    *shrugs*

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Yummylee
    @outlawtotheend said:
    " I'm on Noveria right now...I just drove the Mako up to...what's it called? Something 15...anyway, I'm seriously considering not finishing the game. I mean, I want to, I only just bought and started the game this week,  but I'm just finding it ridiculously boring.  I'm seriously considering just going back to get 100% in Red Dead Redemption "
    Noveria's one of the games weaker points too so I see where the compulsion is coming from. Play till you reach the Mining Colony and see how you feel. One of the best parts of the games for me.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I think you would like mass effect 2 more than part one. If you like one, you don't like the other one as much, vice versa.

Avatar image for 21stcenturyjesus
    21stCenturyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By 21stCenturyJesus

While neither is fun to play, they both have compelling story's, interesting characters, and all around cool looking environments to....uhhh....look at....i guesss...
    Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mrskidders

I really liked it personally.

SilentCommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SilentCommando

The first few hours are slow. Once you gain control of the Normandy, things start to pick up and get interesting. I found a lot of the charm in the characters you meet along the way.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By John1912

Just my opinion, but I thought ME was horrible.  Never finished it.  ME2 was decent, still nothing to rave about by any means.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RVonE
    @outlawtotheend said:
    "I'm on Noveria right now...I just drove the Mako up to...what's it called? Something 15...anyway, I'm seriously considering not finishing the game. I mean, I want to, I only just bought and started the game this week,  but I'm just finding it ridiculously boring.  I'm seriously considering just going back to get 100% in Red Dead Redemption "

Look, there is no need to finish any game you don't feel like finishing. It doesn't grab you? That's okay; just move on to a game that you like. Ultimately. a game either draws you in or it doesn't. If it doesn't, you can convince yourself that the game is worth playing. If you can't, move on.
    outlawtotheend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By outlawtotheend

I have always had trouble getting into older games that other people thought were great. I've picked up games like Gears and Half-Life way too late and never gotten into them.  
    I think I'll stick with ME until I reach around the 10 hour mark and if I'm still not enjoying it I'll just move on. From what I've heard on forums, the game takes up to 40 hours to complete and I'm not going to play a game I don't like for that long...

JoMate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JoMate

It's AWESOME, that is if you can get by the sometimes terrible gameplay, but story and rpg wise it's way better than ME2

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BraveToaster

Yeah it's good, but just like any other game, it might not be for everyone

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

It's better than the 2nd thats for sure..

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Yummylee
    @outlawtotheend:  
    40 hours?? If only. If you decide to rush through it like you may plan to it's around 13-15 hours long. When taking my time I could only reach the 22 hour mark at that.
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By EpicSteve

The first Mass Effect just kinda sucks due to inventory and the checkpoint system. It may have aged a little badly, however. The pacing was also pretty slow in the beginning hours of the game. 1st in the trilogy syndrome, my friend.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Azteck
    @Abyssfull said:

" The first is tougher for newcomers to get into in this day and age sadly. It's not a bad game imo. Infact I prefer it over ME2 but ME2 is definitely easier to just pick up and play. "

I agree with this man. Though I really didn't have an issue getting into it, and I've played it at least 6 times already. I adore that game.
    sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

#27  Edited By sarahsdad
    @outlawtotheend said:
    " I have always had trouble getting into older games that other people thought were great. I've picked up games like Gears and Half-Life way too late and never gotten into them.
    Funny you should mention Half-Life; reading your first original post reminded me of how I felt when I first played HL2 last year. It just didn't work for me. I'd think the first Mass Effect would be a kind of hard sell now, considering the sequel's out, but if you haven't played that yet, I think at least one play through of the original couldn't hurt.
    Nymphonomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Nymphonomicon

Arguably, if an open world game like Red Dead is your cup of tea, I seriously have to wonder why you bothered playing Mass Effect in the first place.
    You sure you're not trolling?

LeetBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By LeetBalla

I don't like the name of this blog post; furthermore, it annoys me how people believe a game to be awful simply because they do not like it. There are plenty of reasons why Mass Effect is a good game, however, if you don't enjoy it that is your own opinion. Your opinion of the game does not make the game bad; the qualities, good or bad, that the game exhibits make it good. I, for example, have always found JRPG's in general to be complete garbage. This is my opinion, not a fact. Final Fantasy VII and Chrono Trigger are both good games that I simply do not like. Blanket statements such as "Mass Effect sucks?" is not an absolute; if you like the game play it, if not, get rid of it.

outlawtotheend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By outlawtotheend

No, I'm not trolling. I'm not a one-genre man. I'm willing to try the majority of games and genres. I've only had my 360 for a year and a half so there's still a whole lot of games that I haven't gotten round to playing yet. 
    I was gonna buy ME2 a while ago but a friend of mine told me that it was a lot better if you'd played the original so I bought it at a cheap price.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By sagesebas
    @outlawtotheend: Keep up with it, definitely one of the best gaming experiences I've had in a long time
    SneakyPenguins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SneakyPenguins
    @outlawtotheend: for me the citidel was the best part and the open world exploring was just a hassle
    sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By sagesebas
    @outlawtotheend: I beat it in 18 and did everything I wanted
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Skytylz

I like the first one more than the second. 

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FacelessVixen

The first for hours are a borefest of conversations with 30 minuets of shooting, give or take, but  it packs up after that.

Avatar image for completeinanity
    CompleteInanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CompleteInanity

I thought it started out a little slow, but picked up fairly quickly, and I ended up really enjoying it quite a lot after getting to know the characters a bit.

It was also nice to be able to bring my ME character into ME2, and have the game remember and reference decisions that were made. If you're planning on playing ME2, it's worth sticking with it to understand the story. Personally, I think ME2 is easily one of the best games of the year, so far.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By papercut
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " I found the first 4 -6 hours wicked slow. It thought it got real good after I got out of the Citadel. "
    Yea, Citadel really drags on
    Glak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Glak

It's an amazing game, I enjoyed it from the getgo
    Although my friend hated it for the first 6 hours and then the game clicked with him and he loved it too
    And Mass Effect is not a 40 hour game, I finished it on my first playthrough on normal 20 hours, insanity later 30 hours doing 100%

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By c1337us

I really liked Mass Effect but there were parts of it that were not very good. I have yet to start playing the sequel.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#40  Edited By Daveyo520

No it does not. It is great.
    Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#41  Edited By Chris2KLee

It's great, but it's not exactly for everyone. The first one straddled the line a little wobbly between RPG and Shooter, and I can see it not pleasing either crowd that well. I found ME2 fixed a lot of those problems, but it remains a heavily story driven game with hybrid elements that don't click for everyone.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By Brendan

I loved the first and frickin loved the second even more.  The first; however, is a slightly dated game by today's standards, and would be difficult to get excited about.
    newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By newhaap

I guess if you're looking for action, the game can be slow at times. Another thing is the side missions can be a bit repetitive (same structure, same environments). But I think the people that really enjoyed Mass Effect are people who enjoy finding out more about the world by following the story and finding out more about the characters through their dialogs. Mass Effect 2 has much better pacing I think, and it's probably worth it to finish Mass Effect at least once to take your character over to ME2 :)

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#44  Edited By Sin4profit

When i played it i made the mistake of exploring planets to find better loot...that made the game really slow. Just stick with the story, the side missions aren't worth the bother.
    ME was really disappointing to me. ME2 had a much more interesting story but the combat still wasn't thrilling me.
    But, yeah, i thought Mass Effect sucked too.

Avatar image for favoritobandito
    FavoritoBandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FavoritoBandito

I absolutely dreaded Mass Effect 1 for its combat system as well as its slow progression.   Whereas Mass Effect 2 seems to address all of my concerns, (for the time I’ve put into it so far).  I finished Mass Effect 1  just for the game save.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By WickedCestus
    @RVonE said:

" It might also be that the window to start with the first Mass Effect has passed. I mean, I still go back to ME to have a good time, but that is fueled by the fact that I played it when it first came out and that I'd been following every bit of information on that game leading up to its release. By today's standards, there are some very serious issues with that game. "

@Abyssfull said:

" The first is tougher for newcomers to get into in this day and age sadly. It's not a bad game imo. Infact I prefer it over ME2 but ME2 is definitely easier to just pick up and play. "

I just played it for the first time two months ago and it really grabbed me. In my case it was the second that I played for a couple hours then quit. I came back a few months later and finished it but I still definitely liked the first one more. So, I guess I'm the opposite of everyone else.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#47  Edited By Geno

Maybe you just don't like RPGs. Whenever someone complains about a game because it's slow, it's almost inevitably an RPG. I actually found ME1 to be quite enjoyable. I spent the beginning of the game exploring and absorbing the lore and atmosphere, not looking for things to shoot. 

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#48  Edited By ArbitraryWater

To be fair, Mass Effect 1 isn't very good on the gameplay side of things. In fact, it was probably at the bottom of my Bioware list until I played Jade Empire and realized how much of a mess that game was. 

I recommend soldiering on and beating the game (it's not that long anyways. Just don't do any of the terrible cookie-cutter side missions), if only so you can see the story and then import your character into ME2, which is significantly better.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Catarrhal
    @outlawtotheend: It's certainly arguable as to whether or not Mass Effect starts slowly, but I suspect there may be a more tangible explanation for your dismay. Let me ask you a question: Are you particularly blown away with Mark Meer's interpretation of Commander Shepard? See… I, too, played Mass Effect well after its initial release and--several hours in--felt the same trepidation. Then, for the hell of it, I went back and created a female character. Literally, from that point on, I enjoyed the hell out it. And I'm definitely not alone. In fact, there was a brilliant editorial written on this very subject. I encourage anyone who found themselves unable to enjoy Mass Effect to read it immediately and consider the author's "plea."
    StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#50  Edited By StarFoxA

Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 are some of my favorite games on the 360, but they definitely aren't for everyone. I enjoyed every minute, but for some people it may take a few hours to get started, or never get started at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.