Huh?! Did I miss something? :O

#1 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

So I've been thinking about a fourth playthrough of Mass Effect. Yes, fourth playthrough. This time I would be playing it on my new Xbox 360/new XBL account and thus I have achievements to be earned. Anyway, I decided to visit the astounding Mass Effect page to see if I was potentially unaware of any DLC packages aside from "Bringing Down The Sky." Interestingly enough, there doesn't seem to be any mention of this title update on the page. Weird, but that's irrelevent. (Edit: Nope, I'm stupid. It's there! >.<)

As I scrolled down the page, I came across this alien tidbit of information:

Reception

Mass Effect is the first in a planned trilogy of titles from Bioware, intended for release across the Xbox 360 and PC platforms. It's said that subsequent games will accept the player's save data, ensuring a cohesive experience with the same character from start to finish. BioWare invested a large amount of time and effort into establishing an expansive universe for Mass Effect, ultimately creating a world with the complexity and robustness of older franchises like Star Wars and Star Trek. This attempt at creating an intricate universe was recognized by many critics and fans alike, and the game received almost universal acclaim, selling around 1.6 million copies in six weeks from its release.

*****
Uhh...
 
Come again?! I feel like I have been living under a rock, I must have been for me to have not heard this before, especially since Mass Effect is one of my all time favorite games. As those who have played Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR) and KOTOR II may know, this form of transitional technology was not available in Mass Effect's spiritual predecessors. This is most likely because the technology did not exist at the time, but I also thought it was very much a design choice-one that we would see a return of in Mass Effect. Is this correct? If so, when was said information released? Lastly, could anyone provide a link?

Help's always appreciated! :D

P.S.

If this is correct, I may very well have to play the game again.
#2 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -

Well, KotoR I and II were made by two different companies. The technology existed long before. Suikoden II would use your save data from Suikoden I to give you bonuses to the characters that reappeared in Suikoden II.

#3 Edited by KingOfIceland (654 posts) -

Yes. Bioware went into this project exactly with that feature in mind, this series is all about your Shepard and how you shape him through the trilogy.
they've mentioned it in almost every interview: Keep your damn save file cause it's coming with you to the sequels.

How exactly they will implement it remains to be seen but hopefully it's more than just a pseudo-cheat code that only unlocks your gear and scrilla.

P.S. I have 7 completed runthroughs and 4 different characters, dog, so you should still be considered somewhat sane

#4 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

I heard when it first came out that the game is planning on keeping your progress. That would be sweet because my character is pretty decked out. Good for Bioware.

#5 Posted by Shadow (4977 posts) -

Ah.  So I didn't imagine them saying that.  For me though, the path to all achievements required 4 playthroughs....and starting several games and not finishing them.  That freezing 150 organic enemies SUCKED.

#6 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

Alright, well...

HM! >.<

Ok, you see? I have played the second to highest difficult setting and I want to play the highest for my fourth playthrough, do I have to unlock it? I really hope not!

#7 Posted by Shadow (4977 posts) -

You play through the normal game to unlock hardcore.  You play through hardcore to unlock insane.  You play through insane because you're insane.  And I'm insane

#8 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
Shadow said:
"You play through the normal game to unlock hardcore.  You play through hardcore to unlock insane.  You play through insane because you're insane.  And I'm insane"

:O

You sure about that? Especially the "normal to unlock hardcore."

/cry
#9 Posted by Lies (3866 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"Shadow said:
"You play through the normal game to unlock hardcore.  You play through hardcore to unlock insane.  You play through insane because you're insane.  And I'm insane"

:O

You sure about that? Especially the "normal to unlock hardcore."

/cry"
yes. This makes it a total bitch to get all the gamerscore for Mass Effect, as you cannot obtain all 1050 with anything less than four playthroughs.

  1. once through on normal to hit level 50, get two companion achievements, and get the specialist achievements and unlock hardcore
  2. once through on New game+ at hardcore to get two more companion achievements, hit level 60, and unlock insane
  3. once more through on insane to get that achievement, the final two companion achievements, and another set of specialist achievements
  4. one final time to get the last set of specialist achievements and any others you may have missed the first three times through
#10 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
Lies said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Shadow said:
"You play through the normal game to unlock hardcore.  You play through hardcore to unlock insane.  You play through insane because you're insane.  And I'm insane"

:O

You sure about that? Especially the "normal to unlock hardcore."

/cry"
yes. This makes it a total bitch to get all the gamerscore for Mass Effect, as you cannot obtain all 1050 with anything less than four playthroughs.

  1. once through on normal to hit level 50, get two companion achievements, and get the specialist achievements and unlock hardcore
  2. once through on New game+ at hardcore to get two more companion achievements, hit level 60, and unlock insane
  3. once more through on insane to get that achievement, the final two companion achievements, and another set of specialist achievements
  4. one final time to get the last set of specialist achievements and any others you may have missed the first three times through
"

GRRRR! I would have been totally eligible on my old save, now I'd have to play on normal? =(

Hmm, this is pretty discouraging....
#11 Posted by Jedted (2322 posts) -

Why does it have to be such a chore?  If you really wanna play on Hardcore you can just blow through the game on Casual then start a new game on Harcore to get the achievement.  Also i think it takes a little more than 4 playthroughs to get all 1000 just because it takes more than one play to reach lvl 60 and you need multiple characters to get all of the talent achievements(your squad members don't count).

#12 Posted by Lies (3866 posts) -
Jedted said:
"Why does it have to be such a chore?  If you really wanna play on Hardcore you can just blow through the game on Casual then start a new game on Harcore to get the achievement.  Also i think it takes a little more than 4 playthroughs to get all 1000 just because it takes more than one play to reach lvl 60 and you need multiple characters to get all of the talent achievements(your squad members don't count).
"
It can be done in four, you just need to powergame it- no playing as hybrid classes, use a new set of companions each playthrough, do all the sidequests each playthrough, etc. unless you set out to grab all the achievements, it'll probably take you more than four, but four is the minimum.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.