I Loved the mako exploration. Whats with all the hate?

• 70 results
#51 Posted by captain_clayman (3328 posts) -

the mako just drove like shit. the idea of it is cool but the execution was shitty.  and the shitty gun.  ugh.

#52 Posted by Beforet (2934 posts) -

I loved the Mako. I actually got a kick out of how bad the controls were. I did not get a kick out of a thresher maw popping up underneath me and one shotting me.

#53 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@Ragdrazi said:
" @HandsomeDevil said:
" @Ragdrazi said:
" @HandsomeDevil said:
" The amount of MAKO apologists really bothers me. I mean, mining planets wasn't great, but at least it worked as advertised. The Mako straight up didn't work.  "
Worked for me. I don't know. Maybe it was just the pc. "
Yeah I heard the game played better on the PC.  "
You know, the more I think about it, this might explain a lot. I've seen people ragging on mass effect's combat, and I haven't understood that too well either. "
You just believe whatever you need to. 
#54 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2133 posts) -
@Ragdrazi said:

" @HandsomeDevil said:

" @Ragdrazi said:
" @HandsomeDevil said:
" The amount of MAKO apologists really bothers me. I mean, mining planets wasn't great, but at least it worked as advertised. The Mako straight up didn't work.  "
You know, the more I think about it, this might explain a lot. I've seen people ragging on mass effect's combat, and I haven't understood that too well either. "
To be honest, I am getting this similar problem situation where I can sort of see where people are coming from with the complaints, yet suffered very little of it to familiarize with said complaints.  I've played ME1 on the hardest settings and done everything in that game on the PC, and only got bored with mineral collecting.  I did it really to ensure I get as much money as possible to unlock the Spectre gear which turned out easier than I thought.   ME1 on PC for a player with good reflexes will also find that they don't need to pause the screen so much due to all the hotkeys we could do in that game on even the hardest difficulty.

Also I had little issues driving my Mako, and I hardly needed to really shoot down instead of just positioning the Mako correctly to shoot my enemies without much problem.  My only real gripe is that their inventory UI was downright stupid and can be easily improved.  It was surprising that they didn't try to improve it and reduce the rate in which you get random loot and went the easy design option of simply removing it altogether.  Then again they don't seem to care for the RPG-specific game features as much if ME2 is any indicator which if true is a shame.  I would hold my judgements wisely until they officially announce the game features for ME3.
#55 Posted by Aetheldod (3735 posts) -

I like the mako , its just that the planets you drove through were uninteresting (except the main quest ones , those driving sections were awesome ) and people did you know that there is a scope view and that you can aim a bit lower??? You just press R3 (if I remember correctly) while zooming

#56 Posted by harvey_the_pooka (271 posts) -

Driving the mako was a nightmare

#57 Edited by CptBedlam (4459 posts) -

I really liked the Mako and the planet exploration as well. Sure, it was somewhat clunky but it really made the game feel more open than ME2. They should've improved on that instead of replacing it with the boring-ass planet scanning which is way worse than the Mako.

Also, I had never had trouble when driving the Mako and I did a lot of it because it was fun to jump around etc. You just had to learn how to drive it.

#58 Posted by mrfizzy (1555 posts) -

i didnt have a problem with the floaty/slippery controls, i thought that part of it, along with the rocket boosters was kinda fun. The gun is what broke it for me. 

#59 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8607 posts) -

It was a good idea, I could see past it and just accepted it as a part of the game.
But since it was more prominent then say the speeder bike races/other vehicle stuff in Kotor people got angry about it.

I loved the exploration tho, they should definitely do something with it in 3.

#60 Posted by Rubbish_ (60 posts) -

I never had a problem driving the thing.

Maybe the lot of you are all terrible.

#61 Posted by reddin (418 posts) -

Once I got the hang of it, I really enjoyed driving the Mako as well. I loved the way you could toss and bounce it around.
It was basically a big RC-car with a hover button :D
Only thing I missed was more stuff to see and do on the planets, but controlling it was fine for me.
Playing on PC by the way.

#62 Posted by sterbacblu (231 posts) -

As usual I'm the opposite of everything since I loved driving the Mako but I cannot control a Warthog in Halo for the life of me.  

#63 Posted by elko84 (1116 posts) -
@sixghost said:
" Wait until you have to try and climb a mountain and it takes you 15 minutes, only to barrel roll all the way back down."
#64 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

I liked the idea of exploring the planets in an all-terrain vehicle..  But it was the planets themselves that made it boring.  Uninteresting, often difficult to maneuver (going up 90 degree slopes very slowly then flipping back down), the combat was bad and there was never anything of interest down on the planets at all.  At most there was a few boring codex entries and a warehouse full of enemies. 

I do think this is one area that could have been improved for the second game, rather than just completely cut..  But it was no big loss.
#65 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Just imagine how much fun you could have with a game like Dark Void or Lost Planet if you went to the same extent to sweet lemons rationalize the valleys in those games.

#66 Posted by Ragdrazi (2283 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" @Ragdrazi said:
" @HandsomeDevil said:
" @Ragdrazi said:
" @HandsomeDevil said:
You just believe whatever you need to.  "
I believe that for me the combat flowed fine, and that the Mako exploration wasn't that bad at all. And, yes, I suppose I need to believe that, given that it's based off of my memory of the experience.
#67 Posted by Stefan (520 posts) -
@animathias

On like the 30th planet, after spending 30-45 minutes trying to climb a mountain to get some sort of mineral, it begins to grate on you. Then when you get the thing stuck in such a way that your only option is to reload the save and try again (yes, it is very possible,) hate is the only justifiable answer.

If you've managed to avoid such problems, then bravo, you've done something I couldn't. 

well, as long as you're in the mako you can just go back to your ship, so that isn't really a problem and never happened to me and I played through the game 6 or 7 times now.
As for me I really like the Mako though it's true that it's not perfect. I think it's comparable to an American car: it works well on straight road but has a messed up handling.
#68 Posted by animathias (1194 posts) -
@Stefan:

I couldn't remember exactly what the penalty was for getting stuck. Going back to the ship and having to re-land on the planet is still pretty bad. One time it actually did kill my character, though I have no idea why.

But you're right. The thing controls just fine on straight roads or mild terrain, but the game constantly asks you to scale 90-degree, jaggy terrain, and sometimes the "right" path is plainly visible, while oftentimes it's in some weird position or the terrain is littered with dummy paths that dead end in frustration. I imagine the half-dozen or so times I got stuck was because I tried to scale the terrain as quickly as possible instead of carefully looking for the right path.

#69 Posted by Delicious_Brains (170 posts) -

I liked the Mako, just didn't like the lack of things to do on the planets.

#70 Posted by Hairy_Fish (366 posts) -

The gun sucked.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.