Just bought this...

#1 Posted by TinBillies (13 posts) -

Hey, 

Im away on holidays at the moment but I just bought Mass Effect off ebay and it will be waiting for me when I get home =D 

Anyone got any tips for the game? *No Spoilers pls* With a game like this there is always a thing or two everyone wish they knew before they started =D 

Cheers     
#2 Posted by xyzygy (9870 posts) -

Don't rush through the game. If you can go talk to people on your ship, at the space station (called the Citadel), anything - do it. The characters are amazing when you talk to them enough and you can learn extremely interesting things about the story from them. Just basically, engross yourself in this game for the best experience. 

It's one of those games you need to play alone, in the dark, with no distractions. 

Have fun! It's my favorite game of all time by the way :P I wish I was in your shoes now, playing the game for the first time... Ahhh.

#3 Posted by natetodamax (19169 posts) -

Don't rush through the game, and play as a Vanguard

#4 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Well I made my character and chose infiltrator for sniping. Terrible choice, doesn't really improve my aim over solider, which is the setting I recommend since you can use heavy armor and stuff.

#5 Posted by pause422 (6170 posts) -

Vanguard with Singularity playing on Insanity is how its done.

#6 Posted by Jeust (10452 posts) -
@TinBillies: 

Don't think about KOTOR while playing the game

It will ruin it!
#7 Posted by Cerza (1653 posts) -

As others have said, don't rush through the game. Take your time and explore everything you can. Talk with everyone you can and immerse yourself in the game as much as you can. Have fun! It's an amazing game and one of my favorites of all time.

#8 Posted by Chaser324 (6264 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" Don't rush through the game, and play as a Vanguard "
This. Vanguard is by far the best class to play as. Also, I suggest rolling with Garrus and either Wrex or Ashley.
#9 Posted by Hyuzen (442 posts) -

I rolled solider because its pretty easy to keep track of. plus i never really liked using biotics. You're going to probably find your own favourite characters to use but I liked Garrus, Tali, and Wrex.

The main quest can be finished pretty quickly so no rush.

#10 Edited by PenguinDust (12442 posts) -
@Chaser324 said:

" @natetodamax said:

This. Vanguard is by far the best class to play as. Also, I suggest rolling with Garrus and either Wrex or Ashley. "
See I went with the two alien chicks and they rocked the battlefield.  Leveled even partially up, both can do serious AOE damage and provide healing to either individuals or the stupid car.  

I went with Vanguard, too but I think Soldier might be easier. 

Oh, and leveling up your charm will help you in many beneficial ways right up to the end.
#11 Posted by pause422 (6170 posts) -

Im glad that ME 2 will only have one talent that you level that increases your influence in either Charm or Intimidate. It was a bit dumb if you wanted to be in a more grey area, or have a chance to do both spending points individually when they could be put to better use elsewhere. Will help make a better overall character, but yes, they help a lot as well.

#12 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5374 posts) -

Focus your points on things like Charm and Intimidate. You'll miss some cool stuff, or not have control in certain important situations if you don't.

#13 Posted by raidingkvatch (1149 posts) -
@Vito_Raliffe said:
" Focus your points on things like Charm and Intimidate. You'll miss some cool stuff, or not have control in certain important situations if you don't. "
This. Character class can be really important too, but a lot of that is down to personal taste and how you like to play, the only playthrough of Mass Effect I've really regretted (and there have been a lot) is the one where I put almost no points into charm and intimidate and missed out on a load of conversation options.
#14 Posted by pause422 (6170 posts) -

The only character class that is extremely underpowered, is the Engineer. Seriously, gimped..not worth wasting your time on. Adept, Vanguard and Infiltrator I like all for different reasons, though.

#15 Posted by MetalR (422 posts) -

Vanguard, Wrex and Garrus.

#16 Posted by Chaser324 (6264 posts) -
@PenguinDust: Going with Liara and whatever that girl with the mask's name was (I feel like it's something with a Q but I can't be bothered to look right now) could definitely work. They're sort of at far ends of the spectrum though and are focused solely on biotics and techs respectively. I personally prefer the characters that are at least partially gun focused since they seem to hold up better in some of the more intense combat moments. Having said that, I did use that masked girl on my insane difficulty playthrough and some of her abilities can be extremely useful in certain situations.

Also, definitely put some points into charm and your character/specialization class attributes.

One more thing, do yourself a favor and sell or turn into omnigel any guns/armor/misc that you don't plan on using as soon as you possibly can. The inventory is the one thing in Mass Effect that I hate, and if you let your inventory fill up, it will drive you crazy and you'll end up being forced to turn some good gun or mod into omnigel just because you have no more space. Also, money is basically of no real value in the game except to use for buying the Spectre guns and equipment.
#17 Edited by Ninja (518 posts) -

Don't rush and don't plau on too hard a difficulty if you don't want to there wont really be any advantage for carrying over your save to ME2 by playing on a higher difficulty.

Remember to try and do everything, I left some things to my second playthrough so that it was a bit more unique but didn't reach level cap because of that. Not that level cap matters after you get  intimidate/charm maxed out. Finished my second playthrough yesterday cant wait for ME2!

Soldier, Garrus and Wrex, if you cant be bothered working through the skills radial menu all the time, which I couldn't.

#18 Edited by skrutop (3615 posts) -
@pause422 said:

" The only character class that is extremely underpowered, is the Engineer. Seriously, gimped..not worth wasting your time on. Adept, Vanguard and Infiltrator I like all for different reasons, though. "

Definitely.  There are blended classes that have some engineering skills, but are still useful in combat.  The engineer is not well suited to this game.

@Chaser324

said:

"One more thing, do yourself a favor and sell or turn into omnigel any guns/armor/misc that you don't plan on using as soon as you possibly can. The inventory is the one thing in Mass Effect that I hate, and if you let your inventory fill up, it will drive you crazy and you'll end up being forced to turn some good gun or mod into omnigel just because you have no more space."

This is completely true as well.  Inventory management is horrible in this game.

I went through the game twice, so I could see how the game changes if you make different choices.  I recommend doing that.
#19 Edited by Yummylee (21208 posts) -

Remember that the monotonous roaming around in the Mako during the planet searching side missions is always worth the exp.
#20 Posted by lebkin (330 posts) -
@pause422 said:
" The only character class that is extremely underpowered, is the Engineer. Seriously, gimped..not worth wasting your time on. Adept, Vanguard and Infiltrator I like all for different reasons, though. "
I played an Engineer all the way up to 60th level, with three playthroughs (beating normal, hard, and insanity).  It can be a great class if you use it correctly.

That said, if you are only going to play through the game once, the Vanguard is the way to go.  You get good combat skills combined with fun biotic powers.  That is what I used for my first playthrough and had a great time.

Also recommend not sticking with any two companions to start.  Use the entire group at least a little bit.  Each is a little different, so you might be surprised how useful some are.
#21 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Focus on either charm or intimidate from the very beginning, and focus on the corresponding morality meter.

#22 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5250 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:

" Remember that the monotonous roaming around in the Mako during the planet searching side missions is always worth the exp. "

Also see how many times you can flip that piece of shit vehicle.  Along with what everyone else is saying, take your time and explore every nook and cranny and talk to everyone you come across. It's totally worth it.
#23 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -
@pause422 said:
" Vanguard with Singularity playing on Insanity is how its done. "
Above is the best advice you can get. Make a Biotics character and get singularity, spam it till you unlock the Achievement related to it, will give you option to add Singularity to any new character you make, add to Vanguard, become a God.
#24 Posted by Pantalooney (317 posts) -

At the citadel part of the game dont stop playing, i have passed this game to a couple of friends and they called me a dumbass for liking this game and they all stopped playing at the part where you walk around at the beginning of the game for 2 hours.

#25 Posted by TinBillies (13 posts) -
@Pantalooney said:
"At the citadel part of the game dont stop playing, i have passed this game to a couple of friends and they called me a dumbass for liking this game and they all stopped playing at the part where you walk around at the beginning of the game for 2 hours. "

LoL, I dont think I'll stop playing, its an RPG yoh. 

My best mate tried to get me onto this game when it first came out and I didnt even blink an eye lid at it, but of late Ive been playing alot of FPS's and being a fan of RPG's too I think this game will give me great balance. Also the fact that Mass Effect 2 is coming out... it looks sweet as pie.  

It seems everyone likens to either soldier or vangard as their class of choice. Definatley stay away from the engie. Im going the way of the dark side.... Im going to be a prick/asshole too everyone I possibly can and focus on inimidate, my second play through I'll be a goodie. Just so I have two characters to choose from when I get too ME2. 

Thanks for the tips guys and keep em coming!!
#26 Posted by Maxszy (2064 posts) -

Definitely focus on charm or Intimidate depending on what you want to do. I played as Soldier, Biotic and a Vanguard through different playthroughs. If you want the simplest and able to take ridiculous damage, a soldier is the way to go. Vanguard would be good too as it mixes soldier and biotics. A pure Biotic was awesome but I would suggest saving that for your second playthrough, once you realize how everything works.

Its a wonderful game, one of my very top favorites of this generation. Savor it and as others have said, really take your time. There's a lot to explore and learn and that makes it a much better experience than if you were to just rush through it.

#27 Posted by natetodamax (19169 posts) -
@Chaser324 said:
" @natetodamax said:
This. Vanguard is by far the best class to play as. Also, I suggest rolling with Garrus and either Wrex or Ashley. "
Ashley is crap
#28 Posted by Brendan (7667 posts) -

Do whatever you find to be the most fun, because as you can tell by reading the posts this game has been beaten be many different people many different ways.   

That being said, remember the one cross-rpg pro-tip:  Talk to as many NPC's as you cn for side missions.  Unless you don't want to.  Then don't.
#29 Posted by Griddler (3344 posts) -

I just started the game for the second game, so far, I'd say being the soldier class is the way to go.

#30 Posted by Mrbiscuit101 (104 posts) -

I played as a soldier on my first go and thought it was pretty good. Grrrr and wanna go play it now but i leant it to my mate :'(

#31 Posted by Karmum (11516 posts) -

Take your time, literally. If you decide to blast through it, you will finish it pretty quickly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.