Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 20, 2007

Humanity is still a newcomer on the futuristic galactic stage, and it's up to the charismatic Commander Shepard to investigate the actions of a rogue agent while under threat from a dangerous synthetic race known as the Geth.

Just finished mass effect.

Atta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Atta

and found it severely lacking. maybe seeing you guys hype the heck out of it made me expect way too much, but still. 
    funny enough I downloaded the game (illegally of course) when it was new and managed to play a bit through Citadel and...i was amazed. i was ready to declare it the best game ever.  so naturally i bought it now that i have access to a good pc too and it was sooo underwhelming. 

i really don't understand. the first level (i forgot the name of the planet) was awesome. the action focused and throttled just enough to make your heart pound, but not too extreme on that. and the crazy universe they built and bla >_<

after you leave citadel the variety seems to take a nose dive and doesn't ever wanna come back. i enjoyed the game, sure. it was great. but not as awesome as i expected :/

PS: the topic title being similar to another recent ME topic is purely intentional. i've been thinking of starting this topic for a while now and thought that having two contrasting topics on the same subject might be a good idea

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

PS: the topic title being similar to another recent ME topic is purely intentional. i've been thinking of starting this topic for a while now and thought that having two contrasting topics on the same subject might be a good idea    

It's a bit confusing though. :P 

Too bad you didn't much care for it. No game is for everyone I suppose.
    Atta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Atta
    @JJWeatherman: 
    the confusion on the other hand...was not intentional...good point :D

the actual reason for this topic is to find out if others feel like I did about the way bioware is heading. an example: see what I said about the start of mass effect and now check out the start of Dragon Age: Origins. you start off relatively peacefully and whatnot. doing runt quests for the people in the camp at Ostagar. then shit gets real and you are treated to some epic moments. after you are done with that and you hit the free-roam part of the game it gets somewhat...meh. although I found that DA:O kicked way more ass than ME.  still, in both cases, it seems like they started making a sort of game and then went on to make another sort...if that makes sense

does anyone agree on these points or am I to picky? will the cinematic, concentrated, focused, epic, etc moments be better distributed throughout the game?
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By napalm

Well... the first missions plays like it does because it is setting up the action and the plot of the following story, so it's a little bit more... structured and less talky? I think of it more like a detective tale regarding the other planets, especially Noveria. You're not there to shoot up a bunch of shit and leave, you're there to explore, talk to people, figure out what's going on and then shoot up a bunch of shit, (if you choose to go that route). The game portion of Mass Effect isn't what drew me in, though I do find it at least a bit more than competent. The draw to Mass Effect is the story, characters and the locales. 

I don't know how you didn't find some of the set pieces in Mass Effect to be engaging and awe-inspiring. The encounter with Saren on Virmire, plunging out of the window on a devastated Citadel station and walk on it SIDEWAYS. There's a lot of amazing stuff in Mass Effect.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.