Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 20, 2007

Humanity is still a newcomer on the futuristic galactic stage, and it's up to the charismatic Commander Shepard to investigate the actions of a rogue agent while under threat from a dangerous synthetic race known as the Geth.

Just started playing Mass Effect and I'm not big on RPGs...

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Cheapoz

So a little help in this thread please. I love me some 3rd person shooters and lately I'm bored. So I've borrowed this from a friend and I think I'm prepared to give an RPG some love.

But I need some help.

1. I've got skilling up on Auto, because I can't be jack doing it myself, am I at a serious disadvantage here?
    2. Are side missions worth it? To me, anything that isn't getting to the frickin point is a waste of time.
    3. Why does it seem I deck out myself with all the latest upgrades, and within 15 minutes I've got better/different ones. Am I really going to be changing my load out every 15 minutes forever?!

Anyway. I am kinda enjoying this game. I don't like however the times where it's made longer arbitrarily. Where a character for instance will be talking to me, and then say "go to this place, and we'll talk some more", so you spend 5 minutes going there to pick up the conversation you were JUST HAVING. 

Anyway. Thanks for the help and DON'T SPOIL IT.
    gimmysumcowbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By gimmysumcowbel

1. i would recommend putting the leveling on manual because then you can form a crew to your needs.  But i have never tried it on auto so i dont know how well it works.
    2. My first playthrough i just plowed through the main quest and it was amazing!  Then i went back and did the side quests on the second playthrough.  For you i would say stick to the main quest.
    3. The loot in Mass Effect is insane.  You will constantly be getting better armor/weapons/upgrades and that is one of the great things about the game!

CharlieTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By CharlieTuna

1. I had it on auto for my team-members and I hated the results. I suggest you dedicate points to unlock new powers or weapons that might be better. It's hard to say what though, I don't know what you are playing.
    2. Honestly, no. A lot of them are just a waste of time (as in not very interesting or fun) but the cash + experience you get is a big plus. There are a few good ones.
    3. Not really, but the UI is just crap. Dedicate yourself to an ammo upgrade and then just update when you get the next iteration. Once you have over 1 million credits you can buy the most badass guns from that turian in c-sec.

It's a great game once you get into it but it also has some major major flaws, you'll spend a lot of time saying "if only they did it like this it would have been so much better".

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kmdrkul

Unless you are a completionist (clearly you aren't...) then you don't want to do the side missions.  They were, for the most part, mind-numbingly boring and monotonous. 

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mordukai

Just try to have fun with it. Don't look at it as a Third Person Action game because it's not. Immerse your self in the game universe and just explore, explore, explore.

RPG's need time and dedication and patience. 
    SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SolemnOaf

Definately change it to manual level up.  You'll need one party member who is maxed in Decryption and one member maxed in Electronics so you can aquire the artifacts you'll find, unlock storage containers, and repair your Mako effectively.  Then you'll want to focus at least some of your points on Shepard into Charm or Intimidate so you can unlock some of the more usefull dialogue options.  Plus you'll be able to choose which party members specialize in what weapons.  Auto-levelling won't handle that nearly as well as you will be able to and it only takes a few moments upon levelling anyways.

The only side-quest I really found worthwhile is the one that takes you to Earth's moon, because you unlock some specialization depending on what class you're playing.

You'll only have to worry about changing equipment often at the beginning of the game.  Later on upgrades become less frequent and I actually think I played through the entire Insane mode without ever finding better armor or weapons, which was pretty dissapointing.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Snipzor

1. Well leveling up should be left to manual, mainly because of the fact that you need some (As quickly as possible in fact) Intimidation/Charm for certain situations, Auto-levels just don't help anything.

2. Side Quests are generally for purposes of more money and experience. Only worth it in the later difficulties, and by that, I mean the hardest.

3. The upgrades happen fast only at the start, later on it becomes infrequent.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By End_Boss

1. Your skill point distribution should be set to manual at all times. Yes, you are at a serious disadvantage and are missing out on some of the fun.
    2. Side quests are a good way to prepare yourself for the more important encounters. You don't have to do all of them (though you might find yourself enjoying the game so much that you'll eventually want to), but completing a couple of them here and there is recommended.
    3. As others have said, at the beginning of the game you will get a maelstrom of upgrades, but things definitely quiet down as you start hitting the mid-to-high levels.

Plug.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Cheapoz

Okay, fine. I'll start leveling up my own team.

And those upgrades are what you refer to in RPG's as 'loot'?! And loot is supposed to be the fun/addictive part in RPGs?!! Wow, no wonder I'm turned off the genre. Hahahaha. 

Thanks so much for the help thus far! Really hoping  I can get myself through this game, it looks neat.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By End_Boss
    @Cheapoz: With things like loot, it seems like you either "get it" or you don't. I think the appeal is in maximizing your character's potential and using loot to help him/her play exactly how you want them to. Hopefully you do get through the game and more importantly start enjoying it.
    TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By TheKidNixon

A quick note on the loot system in the game:

I'd say that Mass Effect's inventory system is among the most annoying aspects of a great game. It actually is pretty frustrating because you're constantly picking up new gear  that you'll want to compare against what you're wearing currently. Seeing how you almost always have three party members to contend with and equip, times that effort three ways. It can become really tedious, especially if you pause at the end of each battle and respec.

My personal advice? Find a particular piece of gear that you like. Personally, I like armor upgrades that allow my non-soldier characters to regenerate health, and most upgrades with high shields. I like Radioactive Rounds and some Rail Extenders. But that's just how I like to play the game; you might find something else that works for you. But I can almost guarantee that you'll find one kind of gear that really clicks with you, and what you'll want to do is look for the different levels of that particular type of upgrade/loot.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By AhmadMetallic

i got that game, i started playing, made my vista crash to blue screen after 3 minutes on initiating it EACH TIME, whenever i got a chance to play for more than that it went slow and the game seemed gay and halo-like and i didnt feel like im gonna like the story and by the last crash i stopped.

do i have any help for you? certainly not.
    Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Luke

I just got the game myself.  This thread was hella helpful guys! :) 

Gewd luck Cheapoz!... maybe I'll post back with my personal results in a few months.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By End_Boss

As TheKidNixon said, I would recommend anyone on their first playthrough (or second, or third...) to maximize their character's shield potential, regardless of class. Not only will this net you an achievement (if you play your cards right) later on in the game, but I'll be damned if I've encountered a better way to increase your survivability. Also, don't underestimate the importance of using enemy-specific rounds (Tungstens for synthetics, Shredders for organics, etc.); if you're having a tough time with an encounter (this will rarely happen, but still), grit your teeth and sift through your inventory to find that special ammo. It can make all the difference in a fight.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Chummy8

Never, ever let the computer auto-level on an rpg..

Ever

sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sgjackson

I agree with the dude who said find one type of ammo/upgrade that really clicks with you and use it. Amusingly, we used the same stuff, in Rad rounds/rail extenders in guns and health regen in armor. I have no idea if they are the best for each slot but I found out pretty quickly that health regen is incredibly useful and I liked seeing the enemies melt with the rad rounds. Upgrades do slow down in frequency, and you won't touch your guns again once you get your million credit guns (you can also get these from the Normandy requisitions officer in addition to the dude in C-SEC).

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Kazona

I'll just answer the second and third question since everyone pretty much said the same about the first one.

So first of all, no the side missions aren't really worth it unless you want and need the xp or you're an equipment whore. There are some interesting ones that you can do, but for the most part they're just "go there and kill them" missions with rooms that all somehow look the same. My suggestion here is to do at least some of them because it can never hurt to have a little extra xp and cash to keep your characters in tip-top shape. Which leads me to the next question: No you do not have to upgrade your equipment every 15 minutes throughout the game. In the beginning you will constantly find stuff that's better than what you have but later on that won't happen as much.

I got two tips for you, though. First one is that each store you visit sells licenses (usually at the bottom of the list), and you need these to enable you to purchase some of the equipment in the game. Can you make it through the game without buying the licenses? I'm pretty sure you can, but it'll be a whole lot easier if you are able to buy yourself some powerful gear.

The second tip is about the leveling: Don't spread yourself (or your team members) too thin. Vanguards for instance have a lot of skills that you can put points in. The problem is that when you try to put points in every skill they have, you will eventually end up with a character that isn't strong enough in any of them. Note that not all the classes have that problem, but you should definitely try to be aware of it. My best suggestion is that if you are using a class that has a lot of skills, then try focussing on the powers that fit your playstyle. With my Vanguard I went for--and maxed out--shotguns, lift and warp as quick as possible. I'm not saying that's how you have to do it, but that is what best fit my playstyle.

Oh and btw, I think you'll know this already, but keep in mind that if you want access to certain powers you will sometimes have no choice but to put some points into another power so you can unlock the one you really want. e.g. A vanguard needs to put a couple points into Pistols if he wants to unlock the Shotguns skill.

Ok I think that's quite enough text for you to read.. Hope you enjoy the game.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By maxszy
    @kmdrkul said:
    " Unless you are a completionist (clearly you aren't...) then you don't want to do the side missions.  They were, for the most part, mind-numbingly boring and monotonous.  "
    I disagree really. Well ok, they were boring. But I think doing a few is a good thing because you'll get a lot of extra xp. And depending on which planet he goes to first, some of those fights can be really difficult at early levels. Like if you were to go to Noveria first because you didn't know any better. Wont spoil anything but yeah...side missions would be good just for xp, even if you don't care about their stories.
    TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheKidNixon

I will defend the side missions here a little bit. Mechanically, they're all basically the same, but if you have the patience to pay attention to some of the color text and the conversations you have, you can learn a couple interesting things.

The Cerberus missions are of course the most interesting, due to the fact that they're so important in ME2. Plus, you do get to go to the Moon.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Cheapoz

GRARRRRRRRARRRARRRRRRRR!!!!

So, after playing about 70 minutes this arvo, I got to some boss fight and died. And it put me back 70 FRIGGIN MINUTES.

I'm really at the cross roads here. I've only invested 4-5 hours into the game as it stands, and I'm only borderline interested. Now I'm over the line FRUSTRATED. Where were you, AUTO SAVE?! Gack!! Really didn't want to chuck it in this early but this inconvenience is making that look appealing...

Also: What the hell is a vanguard?

Also (2): How much do you reckon RPGs just take for granted you know what the hell an RPG is and how it works? I was really surprised by the lack of any tutorials here, it just presents you with a few walls of text early on and lets you run from there. I guess RPG's are for people who like to read.
    Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Kazona
    @Cheapoz: A Vanguard is one of the classes that you can choose if you make a custom character.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mordukai
    @Cheapoz: I think you are just not an RPG type gamer. Is this the first RPG you ever played?
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By zombie2011

I got this game a week ago and im doing the same things you are except im leveling up my main dude on my own. As for side missions i only do the ones on the citidal if it requires me to go to another planet i skip it. Side missions give you exp and paragon or renegade points so i do them.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheKidNixon
    @Cheapoz said:
    "Also (2): How much do you reckon RPGs just take for granted you know what the hell an RPG is and how it works? I was really surprised by the lack of any tutorials here, it just presents you with a few walls of text early on and lets you run from there. I guess RPG's are for people who like to read. "

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Cheapoz said:
    " So a little help in this thread please. I love me some 3rd person shooters and lately I'm bored. So I've borrowed this from a friend and I think I'm prepared to give an RPG some love.

But I need some help.

1. I've got skilling up on Auto, because I can't be jack doing it myself, am I at a serious disadvantage here?
    2. Are side missions worth it? To me, anything that isn't getting to the frickin point is a waste of time.
    3. Why does it seem I deck out myself with all the latest upgrades, and within 15 minutes I've got better/different ones. Am I really going to be changing my load out every 15 minutes forever?!

Anyway. I am kinda enjoying this game. I don't like however the times where it's made longer arbitrarily. Where a character for instance will be talking to me, and then say "go to this place, and we'll talk some more", so you spend 5 minutes going there to pick up the conversation you were JUST HAVING. 

Anyway. Thanks for the help and DON'T SPOIL IT.
    "
    1. I always played so that my squad members would level automatically, and only I would be manual. There is no disadvantage, but it's nice being able to pick and choose exactly what you want. You should try it, it's not hard to get the hang of.

2. Nope. Most side missions are kinda boring in my opinion. Do whichever ones you feel are interesting, but if you don't feel like doing one, then don't do it.

3. Yeah, you get a lot of equipment first playthrough. It will be like that. I played on casual, so I usually just worried about the armor and guns I had equipped. I didn't worry as much about the ammo types.
    Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Cheapoz

Oh you choose Vanguard at the start? I just hit "create quick male" or something.

And PA nailed it, lol.
    Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Cheapoz

Okay, I keep facing (and dying against) Benezia.

I've geared up everyone in my team and they just friggin die in 2 seconds so screw them right? Or do those RB powers do something?

So I nail the first two guards, and then get surrounded and killed by the next wave. Any tips?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.