Just starting this series... input appreciated

#1 Posted by Dooops (227 posts) -

So instead of playing the same ol same ol soldier class that I always do I wanted to try something new for this game. 

I was thinking of playing as a vanguard, but I dont really have a preference. The only thing is that this game will log tons of hours for me and I plan on playing it on the hardest difficulty (1st run). Did anyone play something other than soldier? If so which class did you play? Did you enjoy it? Would you do it again? Tips on the class you played? Also, I am a seasoned gamer so I do like a challenge even that means grinding something so I can move on. 

TIA

#2 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Play whatever class you want, the best advice i can give you is start with the second game, that way when you're playing the first you'll enjoy it much more, as opposed to enjoying the second a lot less.

#3 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

I played solider first time through and it was easy but also very boring. Once you got a good gun all you had to do was run into a room and hose it down with bullets. I played an Adept the second time it was a much more fun experience because even if its easy you still get to watch all the rag dolls flail around  the place. Adept was what I stuck with since, into ME2 and soon into ME3.

#4 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

I played as adept in both games. It is fun to toss guys around, warp/throw and lift are almost game killers when its leveled up, you can toss geth all over the place.

#5 Posted by natetodamax (19191 posts) -

I went Soldier for Mass Effect 1 and then Vanguard for Mass Effect 2 because you get some awesome abilities.

I think if you're going to play on Insanity (which I don't recommend) you should play as someone who can wear medium to heavy armor. Some classes, like Adept, can only wear Light Armor, and I imagine that will ultimately screw you over at some point. I tried doing Mass Effect 1 on Insanity but couldn't because there are some really messed up parts.

#6 Posted by rmanthorp (3911 posts) -

SENTINEL ALL THE WAY HOME!

For real I went one in 1 before it was OP it was fun.

#7 Posted by natetodamax (19191 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

Play whatever class you want, the best advice i can give you is start with the second game, that way when you're playing the first you'll enjoy it much more, as opposed to enjoying the second a lot less.

I would not recommend this. The second game is much more enjoyable when you see the characters and references from/to the first game.

#8 Posted by Ghostiet (5245 posts) -
@TheDudeOfGaming said:
what
#9 Posted by hexx462 (506 posts) -

My advice is to play a Soldier or Sentinel through ME1 then play the Vanguard in ME2. The ME1 version of the Vanguard is not terribly fun to play whereas in ME2 they get their amazing charge ability and become an absolute blast.

#10 Edited by Chaser324 (6405 posts) -

I'd recommend going as Soldier, Inflitrator, or Sentinel.

I enjoyed playing as Vanguard in ME1, but I really hated it in ME2. I also found it exceedingly difficult to get through ME2 on insane as a Vanguard.

Unfortunately, since you can't change your class when you carry over your Shepherd (what the hell is up with that), you really need to make sure whatever you pick in the first game is what you want to play as in the second game as well.

#11 Posted by SgtGrumbles (1024 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

This is terrible advice, ignore this man.

#12 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Oh, also, I think you can't use an assult rifle in any class besides the soldior until your second playthrough.

#13 Posted by Chaser324 (6405 posts) -

@NeverDave said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

This is terrible advice, ignore this man.

I agree. I see no logic in that comment.

#14 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10885 posts) -

For ME1, none of the powers are really good enough to negate not being able to use assault rifles, so I'd say go soldier, and then (maybe) switch it up for ME2, because they changed the powers a lot, and gave each class a unique power (I still played soldier though).  

Also, definitely play ME1 first, and make sure you play ME2 on the same platform, so all your decisions carry over (and if you get to a high enough level, you get some starting bonuses too). 

#15 Edited by spiralsin (156 posts) -
@Chaser324 said:

Unfortunately, since you can't change your class when you carry over your Shepherd (what the hell is up with that), you really need to make sure whatever you pick in the first game is what you want to play as in the second game as well.

That's strange. Pretty sure I had an option to change my class when I imported my characters. I think the only things you can't change are Name, Military profile, Psych profile, and decisons in ME1.
#16 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

Explanation is needed. Because right now you are making absolutely no sense... Or are you still bitter about them simplifying the second one? Thats the only conclusion i can come to

#17 Posted by AlwaysBeClothing (1459 posts) -

For ME1, on hardest difficultly I went soldier for survivability. I basically sent in my party to meatshield while I attacked from cover. I don't think I particularly enjoyed it but the Krogans had crazy regen. I went Vanguard for my first ME1 playthroughs though and I enjoyed it so I would pick the class that sounds the most interesting to you. ME2 on my hardest difficultly run I went Sentinel I believe. I also heard good things about Infiltraitor for hardest diff. Vanguard is not super great for ME2 since you rarely want to be in people's faces.

#18 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -

I really like Infiltrator, in both ME1 and 2, but if you're going for hardest difficulty I would suggest maybe going Soldier in ME1 since then you have the Assault Rifle and Heavy Armor, and can still use the other skills through your companions. 

The Adept in ME2 felt kinda like a waste to me, at least on harder difficulties, since the enemies would often have resistances that you couldn't use all your biotics against, therefore a big part of your arsenal is nullified as opposed to a better gun which works against everything. 
Also, Vanguard is maybe not the best class to tackle the hardest difficulty in ME2, since your special skill often leaves you out in the open, but if you know how to use it in the right way it could be a lot of fun. Wouldn't really recommend it the first time through, though. 

For maximum survivability in both games, I feel like Soldier or Infiltrator is probably the best choice.  
Other than that, I guess just look at which class looks to be the most fun in ME2, since they differentiated the classes more there than in ME1.

#19 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -
@NickL said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

Explanation is needed. Because right now you are making absolutely no sense... Or are you still bitter about them simplifying the second one? Thats the only conclusion i can come to

Thats the only thing I can think of, although this really isn't the place to bring up that little discussion.
#20 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@TheDudeOfGaming said:
That is the worst advice I have ever heard. Mass  Effect has a story, which is kinda broken if you begin with the 2nd one.
#21 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@Chaser324 said:

That is wrong. You can change your class and face of Shepard upon import.

#22 Posted by spiralsin (156 posts) -

I'll also endorse the Infiltrator. I played one in my most recent playthrough of ME1 and ME2. Very versatile class. Nice damage, tech powers, and survivability if played right.

#23 Posted by dirkfunk (175 posts) -

The inventory system in the first game is a bloody nightmare. I was so happy when I didn't have to spend half my time playing the second one, in my inventory.

I would only play the first one for the story. Play it on easy. Cruise through the game. The gameplay is very rigid and . . . well, I don't enjoy it at all after playing the second game.

#24 Posted by Dooops (227 posts) -

Thank you very much for all the suggestions! I think I might end up going Vanguard. And yes I will ignore the fool that suggested playing the second game first. 

I already have ME2 purchased.
#25 Posted by natetodamax (19191 posts) -

@Chaser324 said:

You can definitely change your class. I changed my Shepard from a Soldier to a Vanguard when I brought him over.

#26 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -
@TheDudeOfGaming: Or he'll hate it because it isn't like 2 , I really liked the first one and I played that one first.
#27 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

Don't be dumb play as a soldier. Also, ME 1 gets better as it goes on and ME 2 is amazing

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.