Male vs. Female in Mass Effect

• 78 results
#51 Posted by BC_ (168 posts) -

My first ME1 Shepard was female and when I tried to play as a male for a second play through, I couldn't do it. For some reason it felt too awkward. I think I somehow convinced myself that my Shepard has to be female.

#52 Posted by natetodamax (19177 posts) -

I can't play as a female.

#53 Posted by HanktheAwesome08 (35 posts) -

I'm going to go ahead and say to all of the Male Shepard players out there... 

"In general, the most passionate people are the ones who respond to surveys." 

There are plenty of male shepard players out there, but they're not the ones responding to this thread. 

P.S. I played a character named ANGRYLESBO Shepard. It was hilarious. I enjoyed paragon default Shepard way more.

#54 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

With male Shepard, I thought he was flat on a lot of the middle choices but anything overtly paragon or renegade, he was great. The one thing that still doesn't gel with me though is the pitch of his voice. It seems too high for his body and his role in the story.

#55 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

Alright, I've been convinced to play a female Shepard.  You win. 

#56 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

Jennifer Hale is a much better voice actor, and it is a lot easier to make a pretty Jane than a cool John. 

However, I, as a guy, just don't like playing as a girl in RPGs.

#57 Posted by Xolare (1274 posts) -

Listening to Naomi Hunter is orgasmic.

#58 Posted by Creamypies (4052 posts) -
@MrJared said:
" As far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing as a male Shepard. The actor for the role is so incredibly stiff and bland on his delivery that it very seriously sounds like a first read. Bioware is typically very good about their cast, but Male Shepard is unbearable in his monotony.  Female Shepard on the other hand comes across as extremely strong and confident. And while Sheppard is supposed to be something of a blank slate for the player to project themselves onto, Jennifer Hale evokes just enough of it for it to come across as a natural experience for the player.  Besides, aren't there enough bald space marines to go around? :) "
Even though I always play through those games as a male first, I've gotta agree with this. Mark Meer almost expresses zero emotion in the lines he delivers. Jennifer Hale has a much better track record, and lives up to it. She just sounds alot more comfortable in the role than the dude does.
#59 Posted by AndrewB (7519 posts) -

I think both of them are just fine. Maybe the female voice sounds a little more like she's into the role, but the way that the face editor works in Mass Effect makes her look really weird no matter how much tinkering you do. It's a little offputting.

#60 Edited by Jimbo (9776 posts) -

Jennifer Hale > Everybody that isn't Jennifer Hale.  But on the down side, my Shepard's eyelashes clipped through her head and her smile was retarded.

They should have had a great looking default female Shepard right from the start.

Edit:  Weird, I gave up halfway through as Male Shepard just like the Destructoid guy. 

#61 Posted by roroc007 (47 posts) -
@Heartbreak: someone watches noobtoob....hopefully
#62 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -

Not that the guy who voices Shepard is bad, but I simply prefer Jennifer Hale's voice work in the game. I've been playing most of the games she's been in since way back at Quest for Glory IV, Baldur's Gate, and Gabriel Knight 3. I thought the male voice work was a bit bland. But, hey, that's just me.

#63 Posted by kingkorn69 (321 posts) -

I play a gal on the 1st one and on my Bday getting the 2nd one! And when I play that one I shall play as a female too! Fo shizzle!!!!

#64 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

I played through one of each in ME1 but I think I'll stick to dude Shepard for ME2.

#65 Posted by VIGGO123 (552 posts) -

I play by Dave's rule. If you are going to spend the next 50+ hours looking at a character from behind, it might as well be a hot lady. I played both Mass Effect 1 and 2 as a female, Jennifer Hale delivers an amazing performance. I tried playing as a male, but that dude has sooo little charisma that i couldn't continue.

#66 Posted by AngeTheDude (651 posts) -

I like male Shepard's voice, especially when some Canadian accent slips through!

#67 Posted by ptys (1896 posts) -

Agree with the article... can't imagine playing as a Male Shepard, it's just so... mechanical. I did start a play-through but just missed the Fem-Shep too much. I think that she creates more of a family unit on the Normandy... you care more.

#68 Posted by BawlZINmotion (714 posts) -

I totally went female Sheppard. Male Sheppard needs more Nolan North. Regardless, whenever I see a clip of ME1/2 the character looks out of place to me because it's not my Sheppard. Weird...

#69 Edited by Capum15 (4823 posts) -

I think it was mentioned in a recent bombcast, once you play, every other Shepard looks "Wrong" to you. Currently running a somewhat custom Male Shepard (and by currently I mean pretty much every Shepard I've made looks the same, and I only use one import for ME2, but I use it over and over again, and don't change my dude).

I would start a Female Shepard, but since you can't tweak everything (like Wrex and some other stuff) in ME2 for a new game, I probably won't make one.

#70 Posted by Jedted (2329 posts) -

I play a custom male Shepard and everytime i see an ME2 comercial(specifically the one with Shepard's monologue) i exclaim "That's not Commander Shepard!" 

I'm obviously in the minority here but i like Mark Meer's voice, as Shepard he's just an all-round bad ass.  Though i won't deny that here were a few "eyerolling" moments while playing ME1 but i think he conveys a better range of emotion in ME2,  he's still a jerk but he can be sensitive when he wants to be(or when you want him to be).  I also agree that Jennifer Hale is an amazing voice actress but sometimes in ME her lines just sound totally copied from Meer's lines.  It's like all of Shepard's lines were written the male VA in mind. 

#71 Posted by DavidStrauss (37 posts) -

FemShep just seemed a good fit for me, i don't like the males voice at all, esp when i first made one, he looked so badass, but his voice just did not fit, I'll remake a dude to finish out the biotic achivements, but he is gonna be one ugly shepard, lol

#72 Posted by Alphiehyr (1083 posts) -
@Bigandtasty said:
" I'm just a "play as a dude" kind of dude, but I can see why someone would like the female Shepard's voice acting and style better. "
Well, you see... if you actually played a female, it's more then just as you said: voice acting and... what the fuck did you mean by "style better"? Anyways, back on point - all those hours we get to stare at that nice waist and perfectly shaped ass.
#73 Posted by ThePencil (390 posts) -

I play as MaleShep, but i have tried and played through both games with FemSheps and, I dunno, maybe its just because my MaleShep looks too much like Chuck Norris but It's just always felt natural to me for Shepard to be a dude, that and for some reason I've never been able to play a Paragon FemShep.

#74 Posted by Bigandtasty (3202 posts) -
@Alphiehyr: By style I mean the way the voice acting makes you picture the character's personality in your head.

And while seeing some virtual booty is relatively a benefit, I don't take it into account much.
#75 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -
@MrJared said:
" As far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing as a male Shepard. The actor for the role is so incredibly stiff and bland on his delivery that it very seriously sounds like a first read. Bioware is typically very good about their cast, but Male Shepard is unbearable in his monotony.  Female Shepard on the other hand comes across as extremely strong and confident. And while Sheppard is supposed to be something of a blank slate for the player to project themselves onto, Jennifer Hale evokes just enough of it for it to come across as a natural experience for the player.  Besides, aren't there enough bald space marines to go around? :) "
This a thousand times - Male Shepard has always come across as amateur sounding at best - just because Shepard is a blank slate doesn't mean he has to be bland; the voice acting makes my choice for me, I've tried over and over to make a Male Shep and it's just painful to listen to.
#76 Posted by CaptainObvious (2995 posts) -

I can't be a srs roleplayer if i create a character of opposite sex.

#77 Posted by Alphiehyr (1083 posts) -
@EpicSteve said:
" For whatever reason I played as a female in Mass Effect, thus making all trailers for Mass Effect 2 hella awkward. I thought the story fit a female protagonist well, and the voice acting was better. Destuctoid wrote a nice article on the matter supporting a female character. What do you guys think? "
I think that I don't give a shit.
#78 Posted by Ekkena (1 posts) -

Well, I am a chick so I obviously played as femShep. I absolutely love the voice acting for her.  She can go from badass bitch to soft and caring. I felt the the voice really fit my character. I haven't played as maleShep yet (although I plan to 'cause I want to romance Tali) but I have heard him talk and I don't really care for the voice actor. His entire character from appearance to voice seems rather bland, like your standard marine. Also, I feel like this is the first time Bioware made the female characters equal to the male. Having had played previous Bioware games (Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment), I always felt the female character got screwed. I mean, Anomen, seriously? He whined more then a 6 year old girl. Not to mention he was the only option compared to the guy's three. And then you don't even get a choice in gender in Planescape. I also have to agree with all the guys about femShep's ass. I spent most of those long elevator rides in ME1 staring at her thinking, "how the hell does she make her ass look so good in that suit?" x]

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.