Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 20, 2007

Humanity is still a newcomer on the futuristic galactic stage, and it's up to the charismatic Commander Shepard to investigate the actions of a rogue agent while under threat from a dangerous synthetic race known as the Geth.

Mass Effect another terrible overrated game.

• 63 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

I'm trying to play through this terrible game, like all of Bioware's games they just don't play well and are based on mediocre mechanics. Like KOTOR for example I picked that up when it came out for the PC and all I found myself doing was talking to people and playing with some horrible combat system which put my off going any further.

Anyways I bought Mass Effect expecting  a great game and yeh at first it looked really good but then I got to the combat and it starts to fall apart. The AI are really buggy at times and just stupid, it just doesn't feel like they have any AI and Bioware set them to go crazy and run anywhere or just stand still mode. Not only that but I never got a sense I'm hitting anything cause the crosshair is so big and you don't have to be accurate like if I don't shoot them spot on then sometimes it's forgiving. I dunno theres just something about it that feels really off and not fun it's like world of warcraft mobs but killing them with a real time gun.  You'll just cycle through them and yawnnnnnn.

All I find myself doing is running to the waypoint and talking to someone and then running to another waypoint and talking to them. People don't frigging shut up and all I want to do is skip it and get on with the game and theres no option to just skip everything in one go, have to skip line by line. Lifts are another problem I had because you'll be standing in them for most of the game and it's like all they coulda done is is have you click on it and you saw a loading screen and made it quick but nooooooooooooo.

The voice acting is ok but it doesn't feel very nature and theres long pauses in between everything and it's like how could any have compared this game to Hollywood in the reviews. The Dialogue is terrible and just poorly written and theres some really cliche moments with you and some chick which just make you go wtf? Like when you have sex with her that whole seen is poorly done. I think Bioware need to look at how amazing GTA 4 is done with cutscenes because it's perfectly written and isn't all akward like Mass Effect. Even the Animations on the characters in GTA 4 feel life like in the cutscenes and I feel like they got that spot on but in Mass Effect they all stand stiff as bricks.

After the Citadel the game like turns to a grind where you have to land on 3 planets and you do the same thing on each of them with no new gamplay. It's just kill everything and listen to anyone who wants to blurt out their life story. The combat is the worst part about the game and the level design I found to be really poor for an RPG cause it's just really linear but tries to give you freedom within. So it feels very restrictive for an RPG and on the other hand it's easy to get abit lost as all the corridors look the same and you end up backtracking instead of progressing.

The vehicle is very poor to control aswel and I hate them bits the most, they're about as fun as the ones in Gears of War lol. I dunno whats up with the turret on that thing but you have to be on the esact same level as everything else or it misses cause it can't tilt up or down which for a sci-fi game seems really odd.

The actual story I thought was aload of old shit because it's your typical cliche story but has nothing interesting about it and no interesting chararcters, aleast KOTOR had HK47. I just didn't find anything interesting story or character wise and everything feels really shadow and theres not many side quests but the ones in the game are really standard and boring. I just found the whole thing less like an RPG and more like a really poor shooter.

If you like Graphics and Music then Mass Effect is great for the most part but everything else is complete shit and I hated it. I often got in knowing that I had to complete the game but just put it off for weeks of looking at the shortcut on my desktop.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By PureRok

While I agree that Mass Effect sucks, it sounds to me like you just don't like to read.

JayDubya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By JayDubya

It just shows that different people have different tastes: I thought Mass Effect was for the most part very good and that GTA is the most overrated game series ever.
    Reading your post it seems that rpg's just isn't your cup of tea.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By FlipperDesert

"Baw baw baw this RPG has too much dialogue in it! :("

Did you seriously just say you'd prefer WoW-style combat mechanics? Seriously?

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By demonbear
    JayDubya said:
    "It just shows that different people have different tastes: I thought Mass Effect was for the most part very good and that GTA is the most overrated game series ever.Reading your post it seems that rpg's just isn't your cup of tea."
    What he said.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Red

I'M NOT VERY GOOD AT THIS RPG I HAVEN'T REALLY PLAYED AND KNOW NOTHING ABOUT. I WILL COMPLAIN!

Hint: less people will want to punch you in the face if you stop saying your opinion is fact.
    Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
    Red said:
    "I'M NOT VERY GOOD AT THIS RPG I HAVEN'T REALLY PLAYED AND KNOW NOTHING ABOUT. I WILL COMPLAIN!

Hint: less people will want to punch you in the face if you stop saying your opinion is fact.
    "
    This.
    Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

So what you're saying is you don't like RPGs, games with stories, games that aren't World of Warcraft, or dialog? How wasn't the dialog well-written, and could you do better?

SathingtonWaltz
    said:

"Red said:
    "I'M NOT VERY GOOD AT THIS RPG I HAVEN'T REALLY PLAYED AND KNOW NOTHING ABOUT. I WILL COMPLAIN!

"
    This. "
    Also this. BOLDED, ITALICIZED, AND UNDERLINED! OH SHIAT.
    TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By TheKidNixon

Reading a psuedo-review of a Bioware game where someone complains about how much reading and talking there is feels kinda like someone writing a review for a hot dog, and saying that there is way too much meat.

Mass Effect's combat isn't great, though I have come to really, really appreciate it's tactical aspects, especially on the higher difficulty settings. It isn't a "shooter" so much as a troop and abilities manager, making you use your talents and correct weaponry when needed. There is definitely some lack of heft for certain portions of the gameplay (the shotgun is the only gun class that has anything resembling feedback,) and the storyline is certainly a hodge-podge of various sci-fi tropes crammed together.

But Mass Effect is still my favorite 360 game to date, simply because it handles everything that it needs to so deftly. The sense (however false it might be) of control and choice you're given, the excellent writing and voice acting (we're just going to have to disagree on this one Lazarou; Drew Karpyshyn and his staff of writers wrote a pretty astonishing script, especially by video game standards), the surprising depth to the tactics you have to employ. Yes, the game is glitchy to all hell and the enemy AI has some serious flaws you can exploit to Ferros and back. But Mass Effects' strengths far outweight its weaknesses and the experience (including all the damned talking) easily gives you a sense of control over what feels to be a forgotten, epic piece of science fiction pop culture from an age of wonder.

Kycon90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kycon90

Dude whatevs man, Mass Effect is a kickass game man, theres nothing wrong with the combat, your just not into it, thats fine, not everyone is into everything. For instance, a chick you think is hot might be ass ugly to me or the otherway around.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Drebin_893

Urgh, so many god-damn spelling mistakes. No wonder you were complaining that you had to read.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pause422

I agree its pretty overrated...but its not a bad game by any merit.

Grim_Fandango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13  Edited By Grim_Fandango

Mass Effect is a fantastic game with a great story that was central to the game really, the gameplay, the settings, the characters, they were all central to the story, in Bioware's eyes, it was story first, then gameplay.

It was bioware's first stab at Real-Time Combat, so it's understandable that it wasn't going to break new ground, but I have come to appreciate the RPG, and story elements to it, and fortunately for me, I liked to read a good story, if you don't enjoy listening to stories, your not going to get much mileage out of this game.

I believe that you are not into it because you bend over to the shooting aspects of gaming, you rather have action over story, understandable, we all have different tastes, just don't go jumping about saying that your opinion is the fact and nothing is going to change it, don't go slamming a game without suffering any consequences, its great that you are using your freedom of speech, but in some cases, its best just to keep some opinions to yourself.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Cirdain
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By atejas

While I agree about the somewhat boring dialogue, the combat was fantastic.

Flagged for trolling/flaming.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#16  Edited By Cirdain
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Mass effect is underated, if anything that's overated, it's fallout 3, yeah I said it. 

Don't forget games like oblivion is similar, maybe your just not into wrpg games.

AutomaticSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By AutomaticSnake

Mass Effect is one of the best games i ever played in my life. OP probably just sucks and is an idiot.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By crunchUK

i haven't played mass effect but by sayong KOTOR sucked you lost all your merit anyway...

Luberik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Luberik

oe, scary girl is also brilliant! And free, love the art style.

And mass effect, I played through it in 3 days, it was awesome. Finished kotor the week just before that. I thought the story was great, and above all: the emersion into the whole experience, you could really 'believe' the world they created, that's what I loved about it the most.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By turbomonkey138

Fair enough its your own opinion but still i think you making this topic means that you are somewhat trollish :O

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By CL60

Stop saying overrated that term pissed me off beyond belief, it doesn't even make any sense. Nothing is truly "overrated". You just don't like the thing while others do.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Diamond

I think a lot of people were pretty 'meh' on Mass Effect.  The only Bioware games I really liked were KOTOR and Neverwinter Nights, and NWN I stopped playing half way through the game (played some user made series call Penultima or something, they were good).

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Mass Effect a lot, but you sound like someone who doesn't like RPG's. 

Drebin_893 said:
    "Urgh, so many god-damn spelling mistakes. No wonder you were complaining that you had to read."
    Also, this. 
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Mass Effect needs a better cover system in order to succeed. Sure, many will say, "its not gears of war omg its an rpg", but when you have combat that mirrors Gears of War pretty extremely, but with worse mechanics, you have problems.

My suggestion is to read 15 pages of the Ender series (Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind), and follow that with a half hour of Gears of War.
    Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Discorsi

I think the game was overrated.  The dialogue trees were interesting but hearing people praise the story so much makes me roll my eyes.  The choices weren't really fleshed out but i did enjoy the combat.  Also the game was waaay too small.  I went into the game with the impression it was going to be hugggeeee and filled with a lot more populated planets.  Instead, I was left with a 10 hour game.  The presentation and cinematics were awesome except for the graphical hitches.

It was still a good game.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By maxszy

I admit, I am a BioWare fanboy though I will not go off here I just want to point out two things:

1) The combat system is unique and A LOT of people do enjoy it.
    2) If you don't care about story in your game (sounds like you don't) and really DO NOT want to read text in a game that is telling a story, a BioWare game is NOT for you.

You can dislike the game for numerous reasons. There were problems with Mass Effect (though I would argue it was great nonetheless) but the topics you chose to use as justification for why "Mass Effect sucks" don't work in my opinion.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By breadfan
    PapaLazarou said:
    The voice acting is ok but it doesn't feel very nature and theres long pauses in between everything and it's like how could any have compared this game to Hollywood in the reviews.
    That would probably be because you have to select a response to whoever Shepard is speaking with.  As for the rest of your post, it seems that you just don't like role playing games in general.  I loved Mass Effect
    Avatar image for theineffablebob
    TheIneffableBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By TheIneffableBob

I thought the amount of dialogue was enough. They could have made conversations more interesting, though. Maybe give them more emotion.

Personally, I'd give the game a solid 8. It was a good game, but nothing amazing. I will say that it is overrated.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I definitely thought it was solid. Not terrible, not "overrated" entirely. The mechanics can seem a bit wonky, but like Fallout 3, the player can acclimate to them with a little patience and open-mindedness.

As for the story, the thing that impresses me the most is Bioware's ability to create (and polish) such a deep mythos and such an intricate universe with a single fell swoop. I mean, the tensions between the individual races of aliens, if you're willing to explore, are pretty elaborately detailed.

At the end of the day, though, it's an RPG, and if you don't like RPG's (or have a specific hatred toward western RPG's), then you're going to have problems with this game.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31  Edited By Hamst3r

And by terrible you mean TERRIBLY AWESOME! Oh yeah!

Taler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Taler

I'm just the opposite of you. Whenever I play RPGs I find that the battles are way too long and just go on and on. I want to rip out all the combat and stick with just the dialog. That'll be my ideal RPG!

I always take trainers and hacks to that bitch. :)

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

so basically, you don't like rpgs, because most of your complaints (like grinding and long stretches with no combat, for example) are present in basically every game in the genre. i love rpgs and i love mass effect. it definitely makes my list of top 5 games i've played

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By Red
    spilledmilkfactory said:
    "so basically, you don't like rpgs, because most of your complaints (like grinding and long stretches with no combat, for example) are present in basically every game in the genre. i love rpgs and i love mass effect. it definitely makes my list of top 5 games i've played"
    Dude. There's no grinding in CRPGs. Also: let this thread die.
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By atejas
    Taler said:
    "I'm just the opposite of you. Whenever I play RPGs I find that the battles are way too long and just go on and on. I want to rip out all the combat and stick with just the dialog. That'll be my ideal RPG!I always take trainers and hacks to that bitch. :)"
    Planescape: Torment. Old Infinity Engine game that's basically a visual novel, but a brilliantly written one.
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DonPixel

I don`t agree with OP

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

I'm not reading all that.. but by the title... yeah Mass Effect sucks

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#38  Edited By mrhankey

Now i have to say, like the person posting i'm not a huge fan of RPGS, they for the most part bore me to death...save for two:
    Elder Scrolls Series & S.T.A.L.K.E.R.----yes it is an RPG/FPS hybrid-----

I will say though i didn't find Bioware Mass Effect to be medicore when it came to gameplay mechanics, i just found the story to dry and a bit, well, superficial. I didn't care for the characters nor did i care about the universe in which i played, as far as i was concerned it was just another Space RPG.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By turbomonkey138

How can you say mass effect sucks . Did you play with your eyes closed or something ?

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#40  Edited By Lazyaza

On my 4th play though of mass effect on pc right now, best rpg I've ever played. But then I haven't played many over the years, never got into jrpgs much, didn't like diablo or anything bioware released previously. Heck outside wow I've barely touched the genre until ME came along.  So in terms of my own personal experience the game was an incredible breath of fresh air. The story, the characters, the world, everything presentation and experience wise about the game made me love it.    The gameplay was definitely buggy and the ai was laughable at best. I do find it odd that PapaLaza had no interest in the dialogue of the game considering you spend like 90% of mass effect talking to characters, why bother buying the game at all? The characters were so fleshed out and interesting and at the end of all this all I know is that I want Mass Effect 2 so freaking bad.

Still kinda weirds me out that I generally dislike gears of war style games and rpgs yet mass effect some how found a way to appeal to people like me despite being an obvious mix of those genres.  I guess I just love sci-fi that much.

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BlackWaterCO

Second game will be much better

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Pibo47
    HitmanAgent47 said:
    "Mass effect is underated, if anything that's overated, it's fallout 3, yeah I said it.  Don't forget games like oblivion is similar, maybe your just not into wrpg games. "
    Completely agreed. I love everything TES though. Those are my favorite RPG's.
    Avatar image for deactivated-593d63ef3d1cf
    deactivated-593d63ef3d1cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think Mass Effect is over rated at all. It has great story and characters and the game play is fun. The music, graphics, and the overall feel of exploring the galaxy comes together really well. Plus how your decisions affect each outcome is great. It's just not your type of game. Seems you like action games and not Role Playing Games.

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By slinky6

mass effect rocks, you can shut the fuck up.

YuheJi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By YuheJi

Wow.  I loved Mass Effect and its combat was fine enough to complement the story for me.  And you said you didn't like KotOR.  How in the world did you expect that you would enjoy Mass Effect?  I guess you should stay away from Dragon Age: Origins when it comes out as well.  But I'll probably be having fun with it.

Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
    lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

i actually thought it was underated. 

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#47  Edited By AgentJ

Finally I can agree with burton on something

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#48  Edited By Jedted

I always find it funny when ignorant people compare games like Mass Effect to games like GTA4 and say that they suck.  Like they try and bundle then together in the same genre.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#49  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I personally thought Mass Effect was a great RPG and didn't experience any of the unpleasantness you seem to have TC. Although you're entitled to your opinion I do however wonder why you went into the game with such high hopes considering you didn't enjoy any of Bioware's other games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7d0bf21daac
    deactivated-5d7d0bf21daac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Omg someone has opinion about a game, lets all jump on him .. Anywho I also didn't like Mass Effect when I first played and most of the  points TC had were the same problems I had with it.  Then I wen't back to it after playing kotor and did enjoy it little more. I think Mass Effect is just one of them games were people will either love it or hate it to death

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.