Mass Effect (as a MMO)

#1 Posted by VACkillers (1023 posts) -

Ever since i first ever heard about this becoming a possibility from bioware, i was AMAZED!!!
I first of all, love this game, i have it for PC (of course) and it looks stunning! just stunning, i love the universe and the way the game handles, plays, with some really gorgeous and lush enviroments. Bioware talked about the possibility of turning the Mass Effect universe into an MMO down the line just prior to the 360 release, and i have to say this idea makes my mouth water with delight !!
I'd like to know other peoples thoughts because the mass effect universe is potentially massive! if any of you have read the book on this stuff you'll know what i mean. The potential to make a really good mmo here is great, just imagine all the stuff and all the places we could potentially see and fight in? All the different weapons there could be? the character creation would be emmense!!! with all those different alien races to choose from.

what do you guys think?

#2 Posted by Rowr (5239 posts) -

to late, kotor mmo.

It would be great though, i wouldnt rule it out for the future. They still have a trilogy to finish though.

#3 Posted by lucas_kelly (769 posts) -

They probably wont make it into a MMO for a while as they are working on the KOTOR MMO.  

#4 Posted by VACkillers (1023 posts) -

yeah i know about the KOTOR, which could be something really special in itself, i think bioware will be making mass effect 2 and 3 gaming wise, but after those, that would be really kool if they made an MMO out of it all

#5 Posted by sculsoldi3r (1315 posts) -

It seems good.

#6 Posted by unclejohnny79 (685 posts) -

It would be cool but I dont think bioware would develop two sci-fi online games at the same time

and the pausing mechanic ( something i loved in the game ) dont know how they could work that

#7 Posted by VACkillers (1023 posts) -

thats true, i guess you just dont need that because your squad will be players and not AI control so you wont need to tell them what weapons or powers to use coz it'll be done much faster and on the fly.....

#8 Posted by unclejohnny79 (685 posts) -
VACkillers said:
"thats true, i guess you just dont need that because your squad will be players and not AI control so you wont need to tell them what weapons or powers to use coz it'll be done much faster and on the fly.....
"
I like the pause feature because I can think about exactly what moves I need to use and I can aim at the enemys and get all ready etc
#9 Posted by VACkillers (1023 posts) -

yes im the same haha....  i guess it would be a much more faster paced game... i dunno how or what they could do with that aspect if indeed was made into an MMO... i just love the endless possibilities they could do with the awesome planets you could visit and the bars, the night clubs, the social interaction in the mass effect universe could be really emmense!

#10 Posted by unclejohnny79 (685 posts) -
VACkillers said:
"yes im the same haha....  i guess it would be a much more faster paced game... i dunno how or what they could do with that aspect if indeed was made into an MMO... i just love the endless possibilities they could do with the awesome planets you could visit and the bars, the night clubs, the social interaction in the mass effect universe could be really emmense!
"
Yeah It would be cool but I think the Kotor mmo will be good enough seeing as it is made by they same dev
#11 Posted by VACkillers (1023 posts) -

yeah i cant wait for that game man, i think its gonna be something really special, bioware never do a bad game anyway... i just hope that they can make the action better then KOTOR, thought it felt a bit slow at times... especially when you compared it to jedi academy...

#12 Posted by unclejohnny79 (685 posts) -
VACkillers said:
"yeah i cant wait for that game man, i think its gonna be something really special, bioware never do a bad game anyway... i just hope that they can make the action better then KOTOR, thought it felt a bit slow at times... especially when you compared it to jedi academy...
"
Yeah I guess we will see, I just hope they work hard on Dragon Age tbh
#13 Posted by Ghil (229 posts) -
VACkillers said:
"yeah i cant wait for that game man, i think its gonna be something really special, bioware never do a bad game anyway...
"
Mostly true, but I still have shivers about Shattered Steel :P

And a Mass Effect MMO would be pretty nice...after Kotor. I can't wait for that one :)
#14 Posted by VACkillers (1023 posts) -

lol... ok i thought shattered steel was alright... shoot me NOW!!!!!!!!! lol

#15 Posted by deerpoob (128 posts) -

mass effects main draw was its story and characters, you would lose that in an mmo, not to say it couldnt be great, but i dont think it would feel the same as mass effect as a single player game.

#16 Posted by Ghil (229 posts) -

hmm...it really depends on how they flesh out the game. I could see this working if they put an emphasis in telling a multi-part story through all the characters (an all-out war for exemple could be a deeply engrossing storyline that would work well)

#17 Posted by VACkillers (1023 posts) -

yeah i agree with the story part totally.... its a brilliant storyline.... it would probably have to be something different, or some kind of time inbetween whats happening in the singleplayer game... like having the date set a few years prior to that... or something to that effect... Because there is a heck of a lot of history that the singleplayer really just skims through, which you could really take into more depth on how the mass effect universe came about in the first place, how the humans actually came to where they are...

#18 Posted by OGCartman (4354 posts) -

KOTOR MMO FTW

#19 Posted by VACkillers (1023 posts) -

KOTOR MMO will be very special i think, one to look out for that's for sure.... will probably get more details later next year about it im guessing

#20 Posted by sculsoldi3r (1315 posts) -

no multiplayer in mass effect!!!

#21 Posted by Lies (3866 posts) -

i'd definitely prefer a KOTOR MMO, which happily, it looks like we're getting :)

#22 Posted by sculsoldi3r (1315 posts) -
Lies said:
" i'd definitely prefer a KOTOR MMO, which happily, it looks like we're getting :)
"
me 2
#23 Posted by Manks (836 posts) -

I would want Mass Effect to stay a normal RPG, but I definitely want a KOTOR MMO.

#24 Posted by Nobility (295 posts) -

Too much, too soon.  It's only the beginning of the trilogy, they should finish it then consider MMO possibilities.  That and KOTOR comes first...ALWAYS.

#25 Posted by unclejohnny79 (685 posts) -

Yeah Im hoping they work on ME2 for now

#26 Posted by Termite (2395 posts) -

Nah, ME MMO would be kind of lame. It should stay as a singleplayer franchise

#27 Posted by VACkillers (1023 posts) -

ya know what? i've just been playing Mass Effect for the past 12/13 hours now, only thing stopping me is its 3:30am and i need to go bed lol.... but i have to say, im trying and trying to find "something", anything, doesn't matter what, thats bad about this game and i just cannot find anything i dont like about this game, i can't find a single flaw at all... everything has been implimented perfectly, there's always something you wont like about a game but this, i simply cant. I think its one of the first game i would ever rate 100% or 5 out 5 star rating, there is nothing that was done badly..... at all....

#28 Posted by peeontree1 (13 posts) -

I just want to point out some things that they would have to change, and I'm not sure they would want to put in the effort ( no offense to Bioware. They could only do it if they made it P2P) One they would have to mkae it so that you manually fly to other planets because loading time, as well appeal would be important. 100,000 people going to the same planet automatically would have huuuuge lag.  Also Bioware would need to add either TONS of planets or simply expand every single one of them. Kill stealing as well as overcrowding would kill the game due to the fact that each individual area is, right now, meant for maaaaaybe 30 people on an MMO. They would need to add dungeons, or like raider ships, to every planet as well.  To keep people playing they would need upgradeable ships, shields, and don't forgot 100's of new powers.
---------Basically what I am trying to say is that it would be impossible to make the MMO perfect without Bioware putting at least 1.1/2 years into this MMO. It would hurt their business spending so much time and it simply wouldn't be productive for them. I also dont know many people who would try this P2P. In the end, I think they would need to follow everything I said if they wanted to stay in business while/after making this game

#29 Posted by Kombat (2205 posts) -
VACkillers said:
"yeah i know about the KOTOR, which could be something really special in itself, i think bioware will be making mass effect 2 and 3 gaming wise, but after those, that would be really kool if they made an MMO out of it all"
Cool with a K
#30 Posted by lorddessan (27 posts) -

I don't think that Mass Effect will be a good MMO... It's made for Single Player and I think it would be better if it stays like that

#31 Posted by teh_destroyer (3556 posts) -
lorddessan said:
I don't think that Mass Effect will be a good MMO... It's made for Single Player and I think it ... [more]
Indeed,plus they would have to take the choice of dialog system completely out of it.
#32 Posted by TheKidNixon (1564 posts) -

My love of Mass Effect and my strong distaste for MMOs leaves me strangely indifferent to this prospect. Plus, my computer could probably never play it, so it would need a console release.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.