Mass Effect Configuration Utility Crash (PC)

#1 Posted by Yukoei (1878 posts) -

I just got my new PC and I was installing Mass Effect and the game crashed after I click on Play Game then the Configuration Utility  comes up and says Mass Effect Configuration Utility  has stopped working. 

I am running Windows 7 and I meet the mimium requirments. 

PS: I have re-installed the game and this never happened with my old computer. 

#2 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Set the Config utility as Vista SP1 in the Compatibility tab of Properties.  Also you don't need to use the launcher to run the game.  You can just use Mass Effect.exe and set the settings within the game.  You'll just have to restart the game for highest level textures to be enabled once you enable it in the ingame options.

#3 Posted by Yukoei (1878 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
"Set the Config utility as Vista SP1 in the Compatibility tab of Properties.  Also you don't need to use the launcher to run the game.  You can just use Mass Effect.exe and set the settings within the game.  You'll just have to restart the game for highest level textures to be enabled once you enable it in the ingame options. "

It didnt work, will running the game from Mass Effect.exe do anything differently? 

And other ideas?
#4 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Did you try running Mass Effect.exe?

#5 Posted by Yukoei (1878 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
"Did you try running Mass Effect.exe? "

Where do I find it?
#6 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

In the Mass Effect\Binaries folder

#7 Posted by Yukoei (1878 posts) -

@SeriouslyNow said:

"In the Mass Effect\Binaries folder "

Yeah it worked, but will it still - 

Work with X-Fire 

Save my files so they work with Mass Effect 2 

Is there any differences between these ways?
#8 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

X-Fire, probably, it's based on the game exe and not the launcer, but I can't be sure

Save games?  Yes.

#9 Posted by Andy1981 (1 posts) -

All you have to do is to download  a new patch Mass Effect 1.02 that will fix this problem =))

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.