Mass Effect prices. What is wrong with the world?

#1 Posted by mrcool11 (469 posts) -

So, after picking up Mass Effect 2 for a measly $20 a few weeks ago, I realized that my main Xbox profile was not the one I'd used to play Mass Effect 1, so the whole character import thing (which I really don't want to play the game without, for some reason) is unavailable to me. However, the save files still remained, so all I needed to do was pop in ME1 again, and play the last few minutes of the game and then I could import that shit. Sadly, I'd packed away the game a few months ago, thinking I probably wouldnt play it after I moved.  
   Today, in an effort to get the first game, I realized that while ME2 is being sold for $20 all over the place, ME1 was being sold for $40 new. My only question: what the fuck? 

PS: Im not from Australia
#2 Posted by InfamousBIG (3219 posts) -

God hates you.

#3 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -

I picked up ME1 a couple years back for only $10. There's always places with stupid high prices, just look around a little and you'll find a reasonable price.

#4 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Both Mass Effect 1 and 2 don't go for much more than 20 around here o.O  
Sucks to be where you're at, I guess

#5 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

It happens. Depends on where you were shopping also. When I first got Disgaea 3 used it was $17.99. I sold it along with all my other PS3 games. Now that I'm trying to get them back, I noticed it was $29.99 used.

#6 Posted by MattyFTM (14423 posts) -

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to pick it up super cheap used on ebay or somewhere similar.

#7 Posted by YetiAntics (1492 posts) -

Geez, where are you shopping? Toys R Us? 
the Platinum Hits edition of ME1 is $20 at Best Buy!

#8 Posted by crusader8463 (14427 posts) -

You didn't look hard enough.

#9 Posted by MikkaQ (10334 posts) -

I bought ME for 20 dollars months before 2 came out, so I'd look around more. Shop online or check out different games stores, you'll find something. 

#10 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1866 posts) -

Both games are $20 in Canada, that's a weird pricing disparity.

#11 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -

Buy it off the net mate, the most I have seen either game go for is £15.

#12 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

I think the more important question is why ME2 is only 20 buck. I'm pretty sure that a copy of Super Smash Bros. Melee will run you more than that.

#13 Posted by hanktherapper (383 posts) -

My guess is it has an old price label that never got replaced. ME1 has been selling for $20 for almost two years.

#14 Posted by xyzygy (10065 posts) -

Look harder, you'll find ME1 for cheap. 

#15 Edited by Tramalulz (6 posts) -

it depends on what version you want to buy.

Original (2007) sell for $50-70

Platinum Hits with the 'Bring Down The Sky' DLC (2009) sell for $20

Collectors Edition (2009) sell for $700+

#16 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

Amazon that shit.

#17 Posted by Tramalulz (6 posts) -

the prices are the same on Amazon.

#18 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1791 posts) -

Mass Effect 1 was better.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.