Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 20, 2007

Humanity is still a newcomer on the futuristic galactic stage, and it's up to the charismatic Commander Shepard to investigate the actions of a rogue agent while under threat from a dangerous synthetic race known as the Geth.

Mass Effect series - PC vs XBox 360?

Duncs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Duncs

Sorry if this has been asked many times. If I've missed it, please link me to an appropriate thread. 

So I'm geting pretty psyched for ME3, though it's still a long way off. A few awesome games are on the horizon before then, so to fill thegame before them (Skyrim, mainly) come out, I'm looking at sorting out my Mass Effect runs once and for all.

I played ME1 a loooong time ago on the PC, enjoyed it, finished it. When ME2 came out, I downloaded a save file similar to my previous run (I lost my previous save) and played it, also on the PC. During that run, I realised that Mass Effect is probably the best game series (or close to) I have ever played. It dismayed me that I have had such a fragmented play through so far - not carrying on a previous save, mainly - so I'm planning on playing it through entirely when the finale is released. Thinking about this, I've also decided that I will probably want to be able to come back after that run, probably a few months after that run, and do an insanity run. I'd also probably like to pick up all of the achievements for all 3 games. That means doing at least 3 runs (total) of ME1 - a Veteran run, a Hardcore run and an Insanity run. I'll probably do the Veteran run soon, and then the hardcore run of 1&2 in the run up to ME3.

ANYWAY - backstory aside - this means that I need to decide which platform to play them all on. I have both a PC and a 360, so could play on either. I borrowed the game from a friend to play it on PC, but because I enjoyed it so much I'm going to buy it on one of these platforms. So which is best? I have been told that the PC version has much better graphics, better puzzles in ME1, better mining in ME2, faster load screens, and is generally a much better game. Is this true? The benefits of the 360 seem to be that its easier to play from bed (would need an HDMI cable and a controller dongle at least, if playing on PC) and that ME3 will have Kinect support. 

tl;dr - If you had to start afresh on either PC or 360 for a full set of runs (culminating in Insanity) and with the aim of full completion, which would you choose?

tooPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By tooPrime

Mass Effect feels like a console game to me.  If I wanted to play an RPG on the PC I'd probably go back to Icewind Dale 2.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By probablytuna

I don't own a 360, so I had to play it on PC. That said, even if I did have a 360, I probably would've chosen the PC version as well, mainly because the visuals are a lot sharper, I prefer mouse and keyboard for what is a shooter at its core, load times are faster and if I want to be more picky, I don't have to change discs.

Duncs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Duncs

Ok so 1 each so far. Thanks for the response.

I've also been told that you can't play ME1 on the PC with a game pad - is that the case?

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By swoxx

I've only played em on xbox. But i havn't heard anything bad about them on the PC. So if you got a good rig. Why not? Like stated earlier, better visuals, faster loading

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NTM

If it works properly, PC. But overall, the 360 versions. I like that I don't have to buy the DLC to play it; my brother does that. But on the PC, that's a different story.

Mumrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mumrik

If you have a halfway decent PC I have no idea why the answer wouldn't be PC every single time. You can plug in your controller if you prefer and just enjoy the game at a higher resolution and general visual quality and with shorter load times. The games run great on PC and on top of that they're generally cheaper. Both have been available at or around 5 bucks a pop on PC. Dunno about ME1 and controllers on PC - you'd have to Google that.

I'm a 360 and PC gamer who wishes he'd known about L.A. Noire hitting PC before he bought the 360 version.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By BoOzak

@Duncs: I've only played the original on PC and I can confirm that you cant play it with a gamepad, since the combat interface has been redone(no more ability wheel). That was the decider for me. As much as I liked the improved visuals and better load times I prefered playing it with a controller. I also think since the games so cinematic you'll want to experience it on a big TV from the couch, but if your not bothered with that get the PC version.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Duncs said:
    The benefits of the 360 seem to be that its easier to play from bed (would need an HDMI cable and a controller dongle at least, if playing on PC) and that ME3 will have Kinect support.  
    I'm sure you can afford a cable and a usb dongle, my friend ;p and I doubt you're interested in playing this colossal game while standing up waving your arms 

But are you sure the PC version doesn't support gamepads? I never tried, because why would i wanna push sticks when i can have a mouse in my hand.. But thats very odd
    Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jazzycola

Can I say both cause I completed it on 360 first both paragon and renegade before the dlc came out then after all the dlc was out I played it on PC on a more neutral sorta tone.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gike987
    @Mumrik said:
    If you have a halfway decent PC I have no idea why the answer wouldn't be PC every single time. You can plug in your controller if you prefer and just enjoy the game at a higher resolution and general visual quality and with shorter load times. The games run great on PC and on top of that they're generally cheaper. Both have been available at or around 5 bucks a pop on PC. Dunno about ME1 and controllers on PC - you'd have to Google that. I'm a 360 and PC gamer who wishes he'd known about L.A. Noire hitting PC before he bought the 360 version.
    ME2 does not support controllers, probably the only console port in resent years to not support it, and the menus were bad with mouse and keyboard.
    metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By metalmoog

For an action type RPG like Mass Effect, I would say console for sure. Either 360 or PS3 both will be good. If we were talking about Dragon Age or a MMO then PC for sure.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BoOzak

@Ahmad_Metallic: The first one doesnt and from what i've played from the demo the second doesnt either..

..And to answer your second question,(with another question) have you ever played a game on your TV with a M&K? it's very awkward.. only reason I play games designed for consoles on my pc is because they play better, look better & generally support gamepads.

SemiDetached

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SemiDetached

I have both Mass Effect games on the 360 and, even though I swore I wouldn't buy games I already owned again, picked up the Mass Effect pack during the Steam sale.

I just finished a play through of Mass Effect on PC and found it much better then the 360 version. It looks better, has way less texture pop-in, faster load times, and I found the UI and inventory management stuff to be much improved. After starting my Mass Effect 2 PC play through, I'm less impressed. I haven't noticed that much of a difference between the 360 version and the PC one. The mining is better with a mouse, and it does look a little sharper, but that's it so far.

Still, I'd say the PC is the way to go just because of how much better the PC version of the first game is. I'm kind of torn on which platform to get Mass Effect 3 on though, since I have played through the 360 games so many times already.

Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Liber

Why people keep starting these Game X PC vs 360 threads ?

hmmm, should I play it on a good hardware with good graphics or the shitty hardware ?

Buy a damn gamepad and enjoy the same game running native resoution, anti-aliasing and high framerate.

Duncs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Duncs

Been poking around looking into the gamepad stuff, seems @BoOzak is right. Which makes the whole thing a lot trickier. Usually, I'm a PC supporter (esp. for Elder Scrolls games), but the appeal of playing Mass Effect from the couch is pretty strong...

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I'll have a think.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @Duncs
    Yo you want them nice graphics with AA and bumpin textures n all that shit....

I'll tell you what every graphics whore on here neglected to tell you, ME1 on xbox has a framerate problem that renders it unplayable. I fucking hated spending hours playing that stuttery piece of shit, and it just so happens that when the problem is fixed (ME2) it becomes one of my favorite games of all time.
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By shiftymagician
    @gike987 said:
    @Mumrik said:
    If you have a halfway decent PC I have no idea why the answer wouldn't be PC every single time. You can plug in your controller if you prefer and just enjoy the game at a higher resolution and general visual quality and with shorter load times. The games run great on PC and on top of that they're generally cheaper. Both have been available at or around 5 bucks a pop on PC. Dunno about ME1 and controllers on PC - you'd have to Google that. I'm a 360 and PC gamer who wishes he'd known about L.A. Noire hitting PC before he bought the 360 version.
    ME2 does not support controllers, probably the only console port in resent years to not support it, and the menus were bad with mouse and keyboard.
    Not bad enough that there aren't people who can tolerate it.  I agree that the menus are annoying with the KB & M interface, but that hardly kept me from enjoying the game several times.  It's a subjective issue depending on how much you can tolerate things.
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

PC version looks better and you can download other people's saves.

Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jazzycola

@Liber: Only problem is that PC version of Mass effect 2(and maybe 3) doesn't support gamepad at least without having to program it yourself. And I don't see a problem with people asking this question cause it's a good question. 360 has the community aspect of gaming down. While PC has the ability to do those things, It's much harder to do via PC. Comparing achievos, doing party chat, and an overall easier way to buy things via xbox live(at least as far as anything Bioware) are some reasons why people might choose 360 over PC. Buying ME2 dlc was a pain having to go directly to Biowares site rather then just buy it via steam unlike the 360 version where I just hit the home button and its there within additional game content tab. Also not all console ports to PC are great on PC. I have RE5 on PC and sure it looks a lot better then the console versions but the co-op is broken with a game unable to keep a game running for longer then 5 minutes while on 360 I don't have to worry about my co-op game crashing.

cornwalliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By cornwalliz

I played it on PC with xbox controller

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Dingofighter

I have played through both ME1 and 2 several times on both PC and 360, I can't believe I've spent that much time playing Mass Effect...

And I would say the PC versions are the better versions, especially ME1 since that was released afterwards and therefore have improvements that isn't in the 360 version. For ME2 you also don't have to change discs and the load times are faster, that kinda depends on your PC actually, but still.

What really motivated me to play them on 360 was achievements, since I wanted S-Ranks, damn you Giant Bomb! Also, the fact that I didn't have to sit at a desk the whole time made it better on 360 sometimes.

Then there is also the different controls for PC and 360, which doesn't really have a definitve answer to which is best. What really makes this a differentiator is that you can't use a controller on the PC version, which actually would make that the best choice I guess, so what it really comes down to is whether you prefer mouse and keyboard or 360 controller.

I'm actually in the same position, I can't decide whether I want to buy ME3 for PC or 360, and that is actually mostly because I have S-Ranked ME1 and 2 on 360 and I kinda want to have the full trilogy S-ranked...

So, what this ridiculously long post comes down to is basically:

Choose the one with your favorite controls and decide whether you think achievements or faster load times/no disc-change is more important to you.

Duncs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Duncs

Okay. Thanks for all the advice people, very helpful. Think I'm going to have to go with the 360, shame I'll miss the prettier graphics.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MideonNViscera

I like playing on my couch, so 360 all the way.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By LiquidPrince

You would need a controller either way. I feel like achievements/trophies do a great job of making you explore the universe more, so of the two options proposed, I'd pick up 360. However you're talking to the guy who has the game on all three systems.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.