ME2 on 360 or PS3?

#1 Posted by RockAction (376 posts) -

Just finished Mass Effect 1 on 360 and really enjoyed it; really looking forward to playing ME2 as it sounds like its a better game, if not equally good, but more than anything want to see more of the story and universe.

Apologies if this has been brought up before but i didn't see a previous thread.

I am (finally) getting a PS3 soon and i was thinking of getting ME2 because of the inclusion of DLC and updated engine.

I have checked the major decisions that carry over but i was wondering if it was worth it to continue playing that file on 360 or just get the ps3 version and start cold.

Are the consequences of decisions made in ME1 major continuations or is it more referencing?

From what i have read (saving the council or not / releasing rachni queen etc) they sound like substantial choices that would affect the over arching plot or are they dealt with in side missions in ME2?

Thanks

#2 Edited by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I had to highlight your post in order to read it.

If you've completed the first on 360, then I suggest you get ME2 on 360.
#3 Posted by innacces14 (735 posts) -

Get the 360 version. There are some little things in ME1 that are carried over in the 360 version that isn't covered in the PS3 version interactive comic recap at the beginning of it. Like I said they are little things, but it definitely adds to the charm.

#4 Posted by Shuborno (938 posts) -

If you're already finished ME1 on 360, you have to get the 360 version of ME2. ME2 is a much richer experience when your choices from ME1 are carried over. Many very small details are carried over. (The the level of minor characters from optional sidequests, etc.)

#5 Edited by SethPhotopoulos (5108 posts) -

The point of the Mass Effect games is the fact that its built like a trilogy made from your choices.  Get the 360 version.

Also the 360 version is so cheap you can buy all the DLC for less than the PS3 version.  $20 new which includes the $15 cerberus network.  
Katsumi=   560 MS/BioWare Points
Overlord=   560 MS/BioWare Points
Shadow Broker=   800 MS/BioWare Points
Arrival=   560 MS/BioWare Points
#6 Posted by N7 (3573 posts) -

Depends on if you want the DLC or not. The PS3 version has all of the important story DLC for free(As well as some other DLC), except Arrival and the Appearance/Weapon packs.

But if you want to continue your characters where you left off, get the 360 version.

#7 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10475 posts) -

If you've played on 360, you gotta keep playing there. Sure, the PS3 version lets you pick the big decisions, but none of the small stuff carries over. You don't get emails from people you helped out.

Plus, you get various bonuses at the beginning depending on your level, money, paragon/renegade status, etc. 
#8 Edited by SethPhotopoulos (5108 posts) -
@N7 said:

" Depends on if you want the DLC or not. The PS3 version has all of the important story DLC for free(As well as some other DLC), except Arrival and the Appearance/Weapon packs.But if you want to continue your characters where you left off, get the 360 version. "

A new copy of ME2 for 360 with the cost of all dlc is less than the PS3 version.  That includes Arrival.  Not including the weapon dlc.
#9 Posted by N7 (3573 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" @N7 said:

" Depends on if you want the DLC or not. The PS3 version has all of the important story DLC for free(As well as some other DLC), except Arrival and the Appearance/Weapon packs.But if you want to continue your characters where you left off, get the 360 version. "

A new copy of ME2 for 360 with the cost of all dlc is less than the PS3 version.  That includes Arrival.  Not including the weapon dlc. "
I was not aware of that.

Thanks for the correction. :)
#10 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

Yeah 360 for sure you want to keep the charecter going if you can

#11 Posted by RockAction (376 posts) -

Thanks for replying.

I think i would rather continue that character and those decisions than break that for a more complete edition on PS3 on one disc.

That raises another question; is there much disc swapping on the 360 version? 

Is it like Forza 3 where you have to save a portion to the hard drive before playing or is it like Resident Evil on gamecube where at a certain point you just move on to the next disc?

#12 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

You only swap discs a couple of times. The DLC has been on sale before and likely will be on sale again. The Kasumi DLC is nice to have from the beginning. Lair of the Shadow Broker and Arrival can wait until after the main game. Overlord can be played whenever.

With the great sales on the marketplace lately I wouldn't buy any of the DLC packs until you're ready to play them, as you may end up paying more if you get it all up front.

#13 Edited by xyzygy (9893 posts) -
@RockAction: You play for a bit at the beginning, then switch to the second disc which is where the game becomes a bit more open. Then the finale is back on the first disc. It makes sense and it works because the majority of your time is spent on the 2nd disc. If you've played Star Ocean 4 on the 360 you'll know what I mean by, "it works".
#14 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

Is the black font some form of subtle, passive trolling?

#15 Posted by RockAction (376 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" @RockAction: You play for a bit at the beginning, then switch to the second disc which is where the game becomes a bit more open. Then the finale is back on the first disc. It makes sense and it works because the majority of your time is spent on the 2nd disc. If you've played Star Ocean 4 on the 360 you'll know what I mean by, "it works". "

Sounds weird, but i'll take your word for it.

Strange to have the start and end of the game on the first disc.

I'm not one to complain about disc swapping especially if its only two or three times in 30 hours, so i doubt i'll be put off by it

@louiedog said:
" You only swap discs a couple of times. The DLC has been on sale before and likely will be on sale again. The Kasumi DLC is nice to have from the beginning. Lair of the Shadow Broker and Arrival can wait until after the main game. Overlord can be played whenever. With the great sales on the marketplace lately I wouldn't buy any of the DLC packs until you're ready to play them, as you may end up paying more if you get it all up front. "

Yeh, it'll probably be a while until i want to play them so i'm not too concerned about DLC, having it all on one disc and the new engine sounded good but its not a deal breaker

#16 Edited by xyzygy (9893 posts) -

Oh yeah! what he said about the sales. I've seen these things go on sale often and I've gotten all the DLC while it was on sale, and right now I'm waiting for Arrival to go on sale (probably sometime in the summer if not earlier) to play them all. By the end of the day I would probably have paid less than 20 dollars for all the DLC because of the sweet sales they go on.

And also, if you're looking to expand the story and universe from the first game, just be prepared that ME2 is basically ALL about the characters. There is almost nothing added to the universe-wide story arc and there's not even really a concrete villain. It's the characters that keep this game going. Personally I liked ME1 better because of that.
#17 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5108 posts) -
@RockAction: That new engine isn't much to talk about.  It looks slightly better but not by much.
#18 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Like other people said, go with the 360 version. You get to have a better influence in what happens in the future titles. Even though I have a PS3, I wouldn't switch over to that one. The only other place to go to would be PC like I did because you can still get Mass Effect 1 for PC.

#19 Edited by MrKlorox (11206 posts) -
@Afroman269 said:

" The only other place to go to would be PC like I did because you can still get Mass Effect 1 for PC. "

No, the reason to go PC would be because you wouldn't have to replay ME1 all over again to get your decisions into ME2 thanks to the save game editor. Having the choice to re-play ME1 on PC is just a bonus that is totally unnecessary.

Too bad the PC version doesn't support a controller, so all the folks who want to kick back and play it from the couch are shit out of luck. That's the only reason I wouldn't recommend it above the 360 version for this guy.
#20 Posted by RockAction (376 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said: 

@RockAction: That new engine isn't much to talk about.  It looks slightly better but not by much. "

I wasn't expecting much from the visuals, as the art direction would have to remain but is the engine at least more reliable, i'd heard ME1 was bad at times but it was pretty terrible, once it was down to like 1 frame a second or something, really bad, of course that was just once but overall there were a lot of times when it slowed down

does ME2 on 360 suffer the same way or is that improved? and likewise does the new engine for ME2 on PS3 have a good and more importantly consistent frame rate?

@xyzygy said: 

" Oh yeah! what he said about the sales. I've seen these things go on sale often and I've gotten all the DLC while it was on sale, and right now I'm waiting for Arrival to go on sale (probably sometime in the summer if not earlier) to play them all. By the end of the day I would probably have paid less than  for all the DLC because of the sweet sales they go on.

And also, if you're looking to expand the story and universe from the first game, just be prepared that ME2 is basically ALL about the characters. There is almost nothing added to the universe-wide story arc and there's not even really a concrete villain. It's the characters that keep this game going. Personally I liked ME1 better because of that.
"
I'll keep an eye on the sales; never bought any DLC from the store but when i complete the game i'll make sure to get the DLC at a decent price

to your second point; i was wondering where the story would go, i'd always heard the reapers being mentioned, and had seen the trailer for ME3 and the thing about the reapers coming to earth or something to that extent so the twists in ME1 weren't that shocking but i did wonder what it left open for ME2; although i really enjoyed the main mission or story arch, i also really enjoyed side quests and the world, and wanted more of that, so if ME2 is more about the universe i'm sure i'll enjoy it
#21 Edited by SethPhotopoulos (5108 posts) -
@RockAction: I haven't spent to much time with the 360 version but Jeff said the frame rate is better in some places and worse than others and I can believe that.
#22 Edited by katanalauncher (215 posts) -

Go for PC if you can. Better control, graphic, framerate.
If not then get the 360 version so you can input your save.
The only must play paid DLC is the "Lair of ShadowBroker"

#23 Posted by xyzygy (9893 posts) -
@RockAction: Actually that's what I'm saying - ME2 isn't really about the Mass Effect universe, it's about the characters. ME1 focused on the universe way more and 2 focuses on the party members you get.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.