Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 20, 2007

Humanity is still a newcomer on the futuristic galactic stage, and it's up to the charismatic Commander Shepard to investigate the actions of a rogue agent while under threat from a dangerous synthetic race known as the Geth.

New character advice...

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By mike

I played through Mass Effect once around the time it first came out, but I just saw the game on my shelf and I'm thinking of giving it another playthrough. Now, I vaguely remember that there is a feature where you can choose a skill from your previous character class and have it carry over to your new character, even though that class normally would not have been able to use that skill.

Is there anything else I need to know? Which classes are the best to take to level 60? Any general leveling strategies or anything like that? I'm looking to build a fun, overpowered character and I really like using the force powers, uhh I mean biotics. What about the achievements and how they evidently unlock skill trees for use in all future characters, any input on that?

Thanks!

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By suneku

Go with Adapt then. They are full biotics and you can still level up guns to be as deadly, preferably pistol or AR. That was probably the one I had most fun with. Vanguard is also good as it's a mix of soldier and Adapt.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mike
    @suneku: Do you know how the new game plus works with multiple playthroughs? Like...would it be better to start one playthrough with a class I didn't necessarily want to play just in order to get one of their skills for the next game? I don't remember exactly how all that worked.
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By EpicSteve

Soldiers are probably the easiest characters to use. With new game plus everythingmoves over, however, you have to re-assign all your characters skill points. 

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mike

I think I played an Adept last time, it's been so long I don't remember. What I do remember is my character used pistols and had lift, singularity, and push...that's about all I can recall. I think it was an Adept.

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
    Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Agnogenic_delete
    @MB: Sounds like you played as a Vanguard. If were an Adept you would have had a lot more abilities. :)
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mike
    @Agnogenic: Nope, I just looked at the ME page and I definitely played as an Adept because I had Singularity, and Vanguards don't get Singularity. At least according to the wiki.
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

what i did is played as a solider first to get the ability to use assault rifles with any class and then a made a full biotic character  that can used that skill. its really really good 

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By Death_Unicorn

If you unlocked an achievement say the one for killing ___ many people with the shotgun, when you start a brand new playthrough you will be able to use the shotgun with a class that normally wouldn't be able to. I don't remember if it's one weapon along with one power, or just one ability in general. Overall, if you aren't playing as a soldier, the assault rifle makes everything easier.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mike

Interesting...it sounds like it may be worth playing through the game as a Soldier and then unlocking a weapon skill for a pure biotics/tech character during my next playthrough.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    @MB said:
    " Interesting...it sounds like it may be worth playing through the game as a Soldier and then unlocking a weapon skill for a pure biotics/tech character during my next playthrough. "
    its really is, also on high difficulty plays you can do some pretty badass stuff such as trapping your enemies in a gravity field that spins them around the room and then use overkill with your assault rifle and gun them all down before they hit the ground. 
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mike
    @ZombieHunter: Cool, thanks for the input. I started a Soldier.
    Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Origina1Penguin

The skills not normally available are unlocked from achievements.  This is stated on the GB Overview page for the game if you want to see which unlockables are tied to each achievement.  It comes right after the "Classes" section.

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
    Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Agnogenic_delete
    @MB: My bad. :p I remember playing through Mass Effect a bunch of times to try and get all the achievements... what a painful journey after the third time.
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    @MB said:
    " @ZombieHunter: Cool, thanks for the input. I started a Soldier. "
    its been a while since i played but you definitely  want to get the skill immunity as soon as you can, and when you get the chance to upgrade your class from solider to drop trooper or shock trooper choose the one that makes immunity better and increases you damage resistance, Immunity is by far the best skill in that game making you near unkilliable if you max it out.
    bandresen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bandresen

I started with an Adapt until I unlocked the Singularity ability and then created a Vanguard that had Singularity.

So you have nearly every Adapt power (Only one is missing, IIRC), plus medium armor and shotgun if you like that.

Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By Brundage

no point to get to 60, your lvl doest carryover to second game

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Origina1Penguin
    @ZombieHunter said:
    " @MB said:
    " @ZombieHunter: Cool, thanks for the input. I started a Soldier. "
    its been a while since i played but you definitely  want to get the skill immunity as soon as you can, and when you get the chance to upgrade your class from solider to drop trooper or shock trooper choose the one that makes immunity better and increases you damage resistance, Immunity is by far the best skill in that game making you near unkilliable if you max it out.
    "
    Yeah, Immunity + Shock Trooper + Adrenaline Rush = Invincible.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EvilTwin
    @MB: Here's a tip if you're trying to get the AR achievement quickly so you can make your Adept/Engineer.  Once you've gotten control of the Normandy, go to the Attican Beta cluster.  Admiral Hackett will give you a mission and you'll need to go to the planet Eletania in the Hercules system.  Once you get there and find the downed probe, your map will update and show some monkey colonies.  Drive to one of the colonies and save the game.  You can kill all the monkeys with your AR and reload the save as many times as you want.  It all counts towards the achievement.  Quickest way to get it. 
    cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cc23574

You should play as a Vanguard,later in the game you can choose a new 'skill'.If you pick the 'skill' to use the assault rifle,you're unstoppable!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mike
    @EvilTwin: So you're saying I should just use Soldier long enough to unlock the Assault Rifle achievement, then start over with a new character?
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By EvilTwin
    @MB said:
    " @EvilTwin: So you're saying I should just use Soldier long enough to unlock the Assault Rifle achievement, then start over with a new character? "
    No, I just thought that's what you were doing.  In which case that is the fastest way to do it.  But, from my experience with all the classes, the soldier is actually the least enjoyable.  He relies on shooting which I think is the weakest part of the combat, whereas my overpowered level 60 Adept doesn't even need to fire a shot if he equips his cohorts with decent weapons. 
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mike
    @EvilTwin: I guess it is. I'm already remembering having a lot more fun using my force powers as an Adept compared to shooting with this Soldier. I think I'll take your advice and then start a new character with the assault rifle skill.

Do the carryover skills stack? Like, can I start an Adept once I unlock the AR achievement, finish the game, and then start a Vanguard with both the assault rifle skill and something from the Adept line?
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Shadow

Speaking as someone with all achievements in the game, Vanguard + Singularity = AWESOME

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mike
    @Muttinus_Rump: I was under the impression that as long as I got the Assault Rifle achievement, all subsequent characters would have that skill available to train. Is that not the case?
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By jakob187

Is this the thread where I admit that I've never played Mass Effect?    >.>   <.<   O.O

Because I haven't.
    Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

Sorry man, I deleted my post when I realised everyone above me had said the same thing. But yeah, that's the case, did I say anything otherwise?

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#28  Edited By Lies
    @MB said:
    " @Muttinus_Rump: I was under the impression that as long as I got the Assault Rifle achievement, all subsequent characters would have that skill available to train. Is that not the case? "
    No, that's not quite how it works. When you get a weapon or power achievement, you unlock the ability to give that skill to new characters. But a new character only gets ONE bonus skill- i.e., if you carry over the Assault Rifle talent, you can't choose another bonus skill. The achievement unlocks for bonus talents don't stack, you only get to choose one bonus talent on each new character.

The passive abilities you get from the Ally achievements and other achievements DO stack, but you can only choose one bonus talent for each character.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mike
    @Lies: Cool man, thanks for clearing that up for me. I think I'm going to get the Assault Rifles achievement and then start over as one of the Jedi classes.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By EvilTwin
    @MB:  As Lies said, only one bonus talent per character, period. 
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mike

Update...I'm playing an Adept with the assault rifle skill. Lots of fun so far! The AR really makes a difference in how fun this class is to play compared to the last time I went through with only a pistol.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By suneku

Yeah the AR is badass with Adept. I'm probably going to remake my character like that again before ME2 comes out.

GameFreak315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GameFreak315

Hey, just want to say this thread helped me out, too!  I'm going to start a new game soon, and I wasn't aware that skills would carry over from one game to the next.  I played a Soldier the first time around, I'm thinking about going Adept now so I can actually use some Biotics.  Thanks!  :)

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By pweidman

Great info in this thread...makes me want to break out ME and finish my second playthrough(soldier), or start a brand new character as I already have the AR achievement.  Vanguard or Adept would be my quandry.  I played the soldier to 55 so far, and always rolled w/tech and biotic characters instead....did I miss out on some great fun?

GameFreak315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By GameFreak315
    @pweidman:
    That's what I'm wondering, and I plan on finding out.  I remember playing KOTOR for the first time and being sort of intimidated by all the technical stuff, since it was my first actually RPG.  After I got comfortable with the combat, I went back and became a Sentinel.  I really enjoyed the force powers in that game, to my surprise, and I'm hoping this experience will be as fun.  (I'm sure it will.)
    GameFreak315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By GameFreak315

Bummer, looks like I can't change the class of my existing character when I start a new game.  Now I have to decide on using the same character and getting the Hardcore and level 50/60 achievements, or make a new one so I can use Biotics for a change of pace, and all those "Use [x] 75 times" achievements."  Lame.  :P

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By sickVisionz
    @Brundage said:
    " no point to get to 60, your lvl doest carryover to second game "
    This is false unless all of my second runthroughs are experiencing a glitch where they start at the level the prior game ended at.
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By zombie2011
    @sickVisionz said:
    " @Brundage said:
    " no point to get to 60, your lvl doest carryover to second game "
    This is false unless all of my second runthroughs are experiencing a glitch where they start at the level the prior game ended at. "
    I think they are talking about your level not carrying over to ME2, not your second playthrough of ME.
    sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By sickVisionz

Ahh, I stand corrected.  I remember reading that.  It kinda sucks, but I don't mind it too much if you can at least keep the perks you earn or your weapons.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.