Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 20, 2007

Humanity is still a newcomer on the futuristic galactic stage, and it's up to the charismatic Commander Shepard to investigate the actions of a rogue agent while under threat from a dangerous synthetic race known as the Geth.

Regarding Liara and Ashley romance

diablo47ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By diablo47ronin

I haven't done virmire yet but done most other side missions and with Liara I just said to her that I like her and she says shes going to think about it and with ashley I said I like you despite your baggage, can I have romance with either of them now or is it too late in the game? I think I didn't do enough rapport building early on.

Thanks.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By RVonE

If you've exhausted their dialogue options while doing your main missions and your side quests, you'll be able to proceed with the romance once you decide to hit Virmire. Be warned, you will be forced to choose between them.
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Karkarov

If the only major event you have left is Virmire it will be dicey at best, also decisions you make on Virmire may impact things as well.  It is possible it can still happen, fair warning though you will have to choose one or the other.  For the record you will know it is working ok if you have a cutscene where they approach you after a main mission and want to "talk about your relationship".

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ShaneDev

If you have no more dialog options then the you just wait until the last level. Although I thought Ashley would not talk to you if you talked to Liara since she is such a racist, either way I chose Liara after Ashley's racism became apparent.

AceBlack19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By AceBlack19
    @RVonE said:
    " If you've exhausted their dialogue options while doing your main missions and your side quests, you'll be able to proceed with the romance once you decide to hit Virmire. Be warned, you will be forced to choose between them. "
    That pretty much sums it up. If you've been trying to romance both of them, they'll make you choose before Iilos. Unless of course Ashley dies on Virmire. That will fix up that pesky love triangle!
    hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By hexx462

Why would Ashley be alive to romance? If she is you've made the wrong choice.

diablo47ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By diablo47ronin

Haha nah I'm going to make sure she lives cause I like her. But I don't think I get to build rapport and stuff now since I'm already at virmire I think I might have like 1 or 2 side missions left but I doubt that will open up any dialogue options.

Also I don't know who to choose. I think ashley is really hot and since shes human she appeals to me but there is just something about Liara and her amazing voice that gets to me. Arggggh. Also I want to be careful with my choice cause I know it will continue into mass effect 2 right?

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By stinky

go with ashley, its the road less traveled in the ME world.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RVonE
    @diablo47ronin said:
    "

Haha nah I'm going to make sure she lives cause I like her. But I don't think I get to build rapport and stuff now since I'm already at virmire I think I might have like 1 or 2 side missions left but I doubt that will open up any dialogue options.

Also I don't know who to choose. I think ashley is really hot and since shes human she appeals to me but there is just something about Liara and her amazing voice that gets to me. Arggggh. Also I want to be careful with my choice cause I know it will continue into mass effect 2 right?

"

If you choose Liara, you'll get the most out of the 'Lair of the Shadow Broker' DLC for ME2.
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By shiftymagician
    @RVonE said:
    " @diablo47ronin said:
    "

"
    If you choose Liara, you'll get the most out of the 'Lair of the Shadow Broker' DLC for ME2. "
    Is it me, or are Bioware really trying to hint that they might want Liara as Shephard's canonical love interest?  Also to diablo, yes your love interest choice will carry over, as well as a lot of other smaller choices (in minor roles of course).
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @ShiftyMagician: It's the default choice if you didn't carry over your save sooo- yeah.
    hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hexx462
    @diablo47ronin said:
    "

Haha nah I'm going to make sure she lives cause I like her."

She's a horrible person even if the other alternative is Blandy Blanderson. I regret saving her on my first play through, though it was my renegade run so I guess that makes sense.
    RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RVonE
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    " @ShiftyMagician: It's the default choice if you didn't carry over your save sooo- yeah. "

That's not true. I've just completed a run through ME2 on the pc without any carry-overs and the picture frame in Shepard cabin was empty. Also, when Shepard met Liara for the first time in her office, she didn't kiss him. 
    That said, Lair of the Shadow Broker at least leaves the impression that Shepard and Liara are very close; regardless of their past.
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Karkarov
    @RVonE said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    " @ShiftyMagician: It's the default choice if you didn't carry over your save sooo- yeah. "
    That's not true. I've just completed a run through ME2 on the pc without any carry-overs and the picture frame in Shepard cabin was empty. Also, when Shepard met Liara for the first time in her office, she didn't kiss him. That said, Lair of the Shadow Broker at least leaves the impression that Shepard and Liara are very close; regardless of their past. "
    Out of curiosity who was the cannon Virmire survivor?  I actually had three different saves to import so never bothered doing a cannon run.
    RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RVonE
    @Karkarov said:
    " @RVonE said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    That's not true. I've just completed a run through ME2 on the pc without any carry-overs and the picture frame in Shepard cabin was empty. Also, when Shepard met Liara for the first time in her office, she didn't kiss him. That said, Lair of the Shadow Broker at least leaves the impression that Shepard and Liara are very close; regardless of their past. "
    Out of curiosity who was the cannon Virmire survivor?  I actually had three different saves to import so never bothered doing a cannon run. "

Ash survived Virmire.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Brendan

Always choose "Can't I have both?"  Trust me ;)
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By shiftymagician
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    Honestly that is news to me, as I never played ME2 without a save from ME1 to see what they set as a default history.  Thanks for the clarification.
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Karkarov
    @Brendan said:
    " Always choose "Can't I have both?"  Trust me ;) "
    Quoted for truth.

@RVonE said:
    "Ash survived Virmire. "

Quoted for how much that info sucks, psycho racist freakazoid!  Kaiden may have been as adventurous and interesting as pasteurized goats milk but at least I didn't want to punch him in the face every time he spoke.
    RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RVonE
    @ShiftyMagician said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    Honestly that is news to me, as I never played ME2 without a save from ME1 to see what they set as a default history.  Thanks for the clarification. "

Please check out my post above; it is not the default choice.
    RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RVonE
    @Karkarov said:
    " @Brendan said:
    Quoted for truth.

@RVonE said:
    "Ash survived Virmire. "
    Quoted for how much that info sucks, psycho racist freakazoid!  Kaiden may have been as adventurous and interesting as pasteurized goats milk but at least I didn't want to punch him in the face every time he spoke. "

While I kind of agree with some of the sentiment, having the good natured Kaiden die feels somewhat more impactful to me.
    diablo47ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By diablo47ronin

I don't care for kaiden.. I guess since I rather have girls and aliens around then human males. But anyway I think maybe I should try and save before I have to choose and try a run through both or something.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    @stinky said:
    " go with ashley, its the road less traveled in the ME world. "
    This. People often forget that there is a reason to Ashley's hate towards aliens and that she isn't perfect.
    velucyraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By velucyraptor
    @RVonE said:
    " @Karkarov said:
    " @RVonE said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    Out of curiosity who was the cannon Virmire survivor?  I actually had three different saves to import so never bothered doing a cannon run. "
    Ash survived Virmire. "
    I played ME1 on PC &ME2 on 360 so didn't import a save, &Kaidan was the one to survive. Think it's gender-dependent; I was playing a female Shepard
    RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RVonE
    @velucyraptor said:
    " @RVonE said:
    " @Karkarov said:
    " @RVonE said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    Ash survived Virmire. "
    I played ME1 on PC &ME2 on 360 so didn't import a save, &Kaidan was the one to survive. Think it's gender-dependent; I was playing a female Shepard "

You are absolutely correct; it is gender dependent. When I wrote that Ash survived, I was thinking of my last playthrough. I forgot that Kaiden survived on one of my other non-import playthroughs.
    donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By donchipotle

Man Ashley is the better choice for a love interest simply because she is a far better character than Liara is. People can't seem to get beyond 'space racist' and actually see her character under it.

morosemode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By morosemode
    @RVonE said:
    "@Karkarov said:
    " @Brendan said:
    Quoted for truth.

@RVonE said:
    "Ash survived Virmire. "
    Quoted for how much that info sucks, psycho racist freakazoid!  Kaiden may have been as adventurous and interesting as pasteurized goats milk but at least I didn't want to punch him in the face every time he spoke. "
    While I kind of agree with some of the sentiment, having the good natured Kaiden die feels somewhat more impactful to me. "

Agreed. Plus I always felt Kaiden had a better grasp of the situation than Ashley, and was more at peace with his fate.
    morosemode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By morosemode

@VelvetLore04 said:

"Man Ashley is the better choice for a love interest simply because she is a far better character than Liara is. People can't seem to get beyond 'space racist' and actually see her character under it. "

Even beyond the xenophobia she's never been a particularly likeable character for me. Half the time she talks I roll my eyes. I don't think I'd ever feel right persuing a relationship with her. 

Liara isn't perfect, and I can't shake the feeling she's sleeping with me because of my visions, but atleast I can speak to her without gritting my teeth. Plus the Shadowbroker DLC in ME2 gives the Liara romance more weight.

diablo47ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By diablo47ronin

Ok guys this sucks. I did most all side missions then virmire and just started Ilos and before Ilos Liara came to me for sex. I wanted ashley so I turned Liara down. Is it impossible for me to get ashley now? All she says to me is I Wouldn't mind talking later. :(

TheH1ppo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheH1ppo
    @diablo47ronin:  Sorry, pal. That's the only time you get the chance. After you hit Ilos you're on the fast track to the final hours of the game. It's the hard line point of no return and you won't be able to roam your ship, visit the citidel, or explore the galaxy after going to Ilos. 

Also, I really think you guys that hate Ashley really aren't taking into consideration WHY she acts the way she does. She was raised in a military family and lost beloved members to the Turians in war. It happens right now on Earth when a specific group harrases you, trash talks you, or goes so far as to get violent with you or your family over a long period of time or during a heated conflict it's normal to develop some hatred. Overlooked still is the fact that you as Shepard can actually say all the right things to her and she'll start to change her tune (I think you can have that conversation after the second mission, perhaps?). It's not even like shes simply a one-minded racist that refuses to give up her beliefs. 

She's a girl with some issues, but nobody's perfect.  

Liara simply had no personality as opposed to a flawed one. In the comics and Mass Effect 2 she actually gets one, though.
    diablo47ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By diablo47ronin

What I said to liara exactly is that Ash is special but that I feel attracted to her as well. But after that ash gave me the cold shoulder, she did the drinking celebration thing with me and talked about the family but then I talked to liara and that somehow killed my Ash romance. Given my choices I think I should have got the conference room confrontation so something is not right.

I found the save where I talked to ash and we did the celebration but it is quite a ways back (about level 23 and my current save is 44... its like 15 hours back). 

So I was thinking of reloading from there and sticking with ash and straight up rejecting Liara. I guess I could go straight to Faros and then to virmire to save time and skip the side missions but do you think I'll be too weak at that point to finish the game? Also what will be the consequences of my lower level in ME2 ?
    Thanks!
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By shiftymagician
    @diablo47ronin said:
    " What I said to liara exactly is that Ash is special but that I feel attracted to her as well. But after that ash gave me the cold shoulder, she did the drinking celebration thing with me and talked about the family but then I talked to liara and that somehow killed my Ash romance. Given my choices I think I should have got the conference room confrontation so something is not right. I found the save where I talked to ash and we did the celebration but it is quite a ways back (about level 23 and my current save is 44... its like 15 hours back). So I was thinking of reloading from there and sticking with ash and straight up rejecting Liara. I guess I could go straight to Faros and then to virmire to save time and skip the side missions but do you think I'll be too weak at that point to finish the game? Also what will be the consequences of my lower level in ME2 ?Thanks! "
    Don't worry about being a lower level.  You won't get as much of a bonus like the one when you are a higher level, but this isn't exactly a game where they punish people who aren't at top level in their endgame save from the first game.  You'll be fine.

@RVonE: Sorry for real late reply but just had to say I read your response on the default canon without the save for ME2, and thanks for re-clarifying hehe.
    diablo47ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By diablo47ronin

Hey shifty, what kind of bonuses do you get when your a higher level? Thanks.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By xyzygy

Wait a second... wouldn't it make more sense that NOT having romanced Liara in ME1 would be the more unique way to play Shadow Broker, since romancing her is the default choice?

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ghostiet
    @PrimeSynergy said:
    " @stinky said:
    " go with ashley, its the road less traveled in the ME world. "
    This. People often forget that there is a reason to Ashley's hate towards aliens and that she isn't perfect. "
    And that they can influence her hate with dialogue.
    RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RVonE
    @ShiftyMagician:
    Sure thing.
    Juvarial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Juvarial
    @stinky: For a reason. 
    Avatar image for garrett_hal_rayburn
    Garrett_Hal_Rayburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Liara is by far the best!

stafax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By stafax
    @ShaneDev said:
    "  If you have no more dialog options then the you just wait until the last level. Although I thought Ashley would not talk to you if you talked to Liara since she is such a racist, either way I chose Liara after Ashley's racism became apparent. "
    I did that my first time. But during my second time playing through the game, I decided to talk to her more, and she actually has reasoning behind her prejudice.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By napalm
    @TheMustacheHero said:

What? No it's not. Ashley is the default for a Maleshep and Kaiden is the default for a Femshep. I just recently played through ME & ME2 with Liara as my girlfriend, and she was in the intro cutscene in ME2 instead of Ashley or Kaiden.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Napalm said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:

What? No it's not. Ashley is the default for a Maleshep and Kaiden is the default for a Femshep. I just recently played through ME & ME2 with Liara as my girlfriend, and she was in the intro cutscene in ME2 instead of Ashley or Kaiden. "
    I played Femshep on PC, no save carries. That was default for me.
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By shiftymagician
    @diablo47ronin said:
    " Hey shifty, what kind of bonuses do you get when your a higher level? Thanks. "
    Whoa for some reason I didn't see this in my messages and got led here by Napalm a week later christ.  All it is is extra experience so you start at a higher level, some extra points in paragon/renegade for how much you had of each in your save, as well as some money (nothing too extravagant).  You can live without any of it, even in insanity.  I just did it to get my Shephard's history through to the next game and experience the game under the choices I made before.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.