Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 20, 2007

Humanity is still a newcomer on the futuristic galactic stage, and it's up to the charismatic Commander Shepard to investigate the actions of a rogue agent while under threat from a dangerous synthetic race known as the Geth.

Should I play Mass Effect!

kingkorn69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kingkorn69

I was looking for a cheap game to buy for the xbox as I tend to try to never pay full price for a game.  But I was looking at Mass Effect as the 2nd one is out soon and was wondering what you guys think? I am a huge fan of RPGs and I couldn't put down Fallout 3.  I can pick up cheaply on Amazon.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Jadeskye

The gameplay at this point is very antiquated. However, there is a genuinely fantastic game under there if you can forgive the jankiness.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By delta_ass

Um, yes.

It's a good game.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#4  Edited By mike
    @jadeskye said:
    " The gameplay at this point is very antiquated. However, there is a genuinely fantastic game under there if you can forgive the jankiness. "
    Hah...it is sort of janky, but still worth it. I bet Mass Effect can be found for $10-$15 now.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jadeskye
    @MB: Absolutely worth it. I'm a more hardcore mass effect fan then most, i own both books, heavily invested in the extended universe. 

Hell i own the game 3 times, steam, xbox and pc retail. Game is freaking awesome. But like Fallout 3, has jankiness!
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

If you like Sci-Fi RPG's, you should definitely play Mass Effect. If you've got a PC that can handle it, you should definitely get it on PC though. Much of the jankyness that people are talking about isn't as bad on the PC version. It's still not perfect, but the PC version is the far superior version. It's still fine on 360 though if your PC can't handle it.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By Seppli

Deffo!

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By penguindust

Absolutely, although it has some issues.  Most notably the inventory system (sell or convert to gel stuff you can't use or don't need anymore whenever the chance arises) and the MAKO (the planet-side personnel carrier).  You'll figure out how those work with time, and eventually they're just irritating as opposed to maddening.  The story, characters and locales are excellent though and well worth the time and expense.  I strongly encourage you to give it a try.  It's on my personal "Best Ever" list despite having a laundry list of short-comings.  The overall package is just that good.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By c1337us

Yeh I think it is worth it, especially if you plan on playing Mass Effect 2 at some point.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Ghostiet

Obviously, yes. It's an amazing, mature cRPG with great writing and a combat system that maybe isn't competent enough to satisfy (but at the same time it is not rage-inducing) someone who lost his fingerprints playing Gears of War, CoD, Halo, Killzone 2 or whatever else, but fun and accesible enough for someone who genuinely hates shooting in games.

Also, there's no Bastila Shan in there (so the game gets obviously 5 stars at the beginning) and Jennifer Hale does some great acting (effectively errasing any memory of Bastila I have).

kahi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By kahi

games on demand do it

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By CL60

Yes, buy it...it's a fantastic game.

roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By roofy
    @MattyFTM said:
    " If you like Sci-Fi RPG's, you should definitely play Mass Effect. If you've got a PC that can handle it, you should definitely get it on PC though. Much of the jankyness that people are talking about isn't as bad on the PC version. It's still not perfect, but the PC version is the far superior version. It's still fine on 360 though if your PC can't handle it. "
    @PenguinDust said:
    " Absolutely, although it has some issues.  Most notably the inventory system (sell or convert to gel stuff you can't use or don't need anymore whenever the chance arises) and the MAKO (the planet-side personnel carrier).  You'll figure out how those work with time, and eventually they're just irritating as opposed to maddening.  The story, characters and locales are excellent though and well worth the time and expense.  I strongly encourage you to give it a try.  It's on my personal "Best Ever" list despite having a laundry list of short-comings.  The overall package is just that good. "
    these two sum up my thoughts quite well.

just buy it, you wont regret it
    kamolahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By kamolahy
    @jadeskye: Maybe we're being a bit harsh here when we say "Very Antiquated".... 

Play it... it kicks ass.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jadeskye
    @kamolahy: Maybe but theres no denying the gameplay was out of date almost as soon as it was released.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#17  Edited By ArbitraryWater

There are plenty of issues that prevent Mass Effect from earning a spot on my all time favorites list, but considering that you can get it for $10-20 now I think it would be worth a look.

kingkorn69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kingkorn69

Thank you everyone I am just about to go on Amazon and pick this big bad babie up then.  I am a huge Sci-Fi fan and I love RPGs to death. 

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By I_smell

The only other RPGs I've played in the passed few years are pretty much Final Fantasy.
    I got this a couple days ago and was like WOAH THIS GAME IS FROM THE FUTURE. THERE'S LIKE NO TEXT BUBBLES AT ALL.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By Snail

Mass Effect is, quite honestly, a game for just about anyone. Whether you enjoy being a strategist and using your party wisely, or you prefer being a Rick Rambo type of person, this game will feel incredibly satisfying to you. If you like other BioWare games, such as KOTOR or DA:O, then you should not think twice. 

Basically, yes you should.

ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By ki11tank

i first got ME when it came out, played it a for a couple hours and got bored and never played it again.  with all the ME 2 hype i started it up again and i'm 3-4 hours in and am can't seem to play longer than 30 minutes at a time, it's kinda boring.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely, a lot of people don't like the Combat, but I played as a Soldier and thought it was just fine (this was a couple days ago).  The combat gets a lot better as you get more points to spend on talents.  The story is completely awesome though, so if you just want an RPG, definitely get it.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By JoelTGM

Bah, I regret not finishing it back when I rented it.  I want to play it before ME2, but then I'd just be rushing through it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NTM

Only if you're looking forward to the second one. Other than that, maybe not. I don't think one persons opinion (that you don't know) will help, so all I'm gonna say is personally it has problems and it kinda makes the game worse than better. It is kinda boring a lot of the time. I'd say the best part of it is probably the soundtrack. Kinda like an 80's sci-fi. The story is alright as well. It's probably better if you went through it a couple of times, though it's hard to even want to do that. I won't be getting the second. It all depends.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25  Edited By Geno

Short answer: yes 
    Long answer: yeeeeees

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ArchScabby

Holy balls you ended your question with a !

Anyway, HELL YES BUY IT.  Mass Effect is amazing, and then you'll be able to play the second one which is hopefully even more amazing.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By unsolvedparadox

I think it's a must play, especially at its current value price.

kingkorn69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kingkorn69

Thanks all my homies I got the game a couple of days ago.  It makes me laugh I picked it up for £10 from Amazon.  It's the same speical edition that I bet someone paid a pretty penny on release.  But it has the downloadable content and themes and pics and all that stuff.  But I have to say the game play is freakin awesome.  Thanks for the advice

jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jack_daniels
    @kingkorn69 said:
    " I was looking for a cheap game to buy for the xbox as I tend to try to never pay full price for a game.  But I was looking at Mass Effect as the 2nd one is out soon and was wondering what you guys think? I am a huge fan of RPGs and I couldn't put down Fallout 3.  I can pick up cheaply on Amazon. "
    Dude, I just bought this game yesterday (for PC) and its AWESOME. Beats the crap out of Dragon Age. I am playing in 1080P with maxed out settings so the graphics still look pretty good, atleast on PC. Driving the tank around though is kinda crazy... its like a bouncy ball.
    jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jack_daniels
    @kingkorn69 said:
    " Thanks all my homies I got the game a couple of days ago.  It makes me laugh I picked it up for £10 from Amazon.  It's the same speical edition that I bet someone paid a pretty penny on release.  But it has the downloadable content and themes and pics and all that stuff.  But I have to say the game play is freakin awesome.  Thanks for the advice "
    Ah, well Awesome then.  Yeah freakin awesome!
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By xyzygy

Definitely worth it.. Go play it, especially if you plan on playing Mass Effect 2 

@Jack_Daniels said:

" @kingkorn69 said:
    " I was looking for a cheap game to buy for the xbox as I tend to try to never pay full price for a game.  But I was looking at Mass Effect as the 2nd one is out soon and was wondering what you guys think? I am a huge fan of RPGs and I couldn't put down Fallout 3.  I can pick up cheaply on Amazon. "
    Dude, I just bought this game yesterday (for PC) and its AWESOME. Beats the crap out of Dragon Age. I am playing in 1080P with maxed out settings so the graphics still look pretty good, atleast on PC. Driving the tank around though is kinda crazy... its like a bouncy ball. "
    What tank?! Am I totally missing something???
    Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

#32  Edited By Savage
    @xyzygy said:
    " Definitely worth it.. Go play it, especially if you plan on playing Mass Effect 2 

@Jack_Daniels said:
    " @kingkorn69 said:
    Dude, I just bought this game yesterday (for PC) and its AWESOME. Beats the crap out of Dragon Age. I am playing in 1080P with maxed out settings so the graphics still look pretty good, atleast on PC. Driving the tank around though is kinda crazy... its like a bouncy ball. "
    What tank?! Am I totally missing something??? "
    Tank = Mako.  It's the only drivable vehicle, and it has a big turret cannon on the front.  It's also a bouncy ball.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MikkaQ

I made the mistake of popping this in after like.. 20 hours of ME2 marathoning. 

I don't think I can play this game anymore.

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By nail1080

If you like RPGs get Mass Effect, if you want a shooter save up and get ME2

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By xyzygy
    @Savage: Oh for some reason I thought you were talking about ME2!!! LOL Nevermind me :P
    rohanspear345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By rohanspear345

shepard

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#37  Edited By JJWeatherman

Questions marks: they exist.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By Bouke
    @kingkorn69:
    Good to hear you enjoy it!  

I was playing through the game myself (for the third time) in anticipation of the sequal. And although i played it when it came out, i only remembered that i loved it, some bits of the story and that the game had some problems. Going back to it made me fall in love with this game all over again. The characters are awesome and just talking to them and finding out their back story is great! The writing is just brilliant, and if you stick to the mainstory line you'll miss a lot of the weaker points of the game.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By natetodamax

Yes.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Scullinator

I just got this game the other day from Gamestop used for only $12.  Im having a hard time getting motivated to start playing it.  I rented Mass Effect when it first came out and put it down after only a few hours playing .  Got bored.  With all the hype around ME2 I really want to play this game so I can get the most out of my Mass Effect experience.

Any help like tips on character creation or how to best play this game quickly would be greatly appreciated.

zephyran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By zephyran

You should probably focus on combat for your main character if you want to have an "easier" time.  He/she will be tougher and do more damage, and you won't have to concentrate on techs as much.  However, you'll need to make sure you balance out your party so you have at least one person with electronics skills.  To be honest, in my first playthrough I barely worried about biotics and I made it through just fine.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Scullinator

I was just planning on going with the default Shepard and going with a combat/soldier class.  This is cool right?

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Of course you should and also play mass effect 2

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By napalm

Yes you should. The combat is really fun, especially when you get the abilities and loot to customize your guns. The only thing a bit janky is the cover system. Don't worry about actually trying to use it, Just hide in cover when you're down on health and then pop back out and continue going.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.