So, does this game still hold up?

#1 Posted by JacDG (2130 posts) -

After the game of the year deliberations, and the fact that I have played through Mass Effect 2 twice, including every piece of DLC except for Shadow Broker, which I will get done soon, well after I beat Brotherhood, Final Fantasy 13, Fable 3 and Borderlands GOTY edition.... so, let's just say before Mass Effect 3, I began to think about the first game and how I played that. I pretty much rushed through the first Mass Effect, didn't really do any of the side missions (I assume there were more than landing on various planets?), which has made me contemplate buying the game again, also because I would like to see how different decisions played out, if they carried over into Mass Effect 2 plus get another save file, and so on. But, after playing the more streamlined and "clean" Mass Effect 2 (changes I was initially disappointed to see) is it really possible to find enjoyment in the first game? When I played it the first time, I thought it was pretty good, although I found it clunky and a bit difficult as well, but again, after Mass Effect 2 the problems I had with the first game might be worsened, and what I like might not seem so good anymore. So, if anyone has gone back and played the original after beating Mass Effect 2, does it still hold up?

#2 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -

Sort of. 

I mean, I liked a lot of the things they removed in Mass Effect 2.

#3 Posted by Mystyr_E (1195 posts) -

Honestly, no.

The combat doesn't feel right, graphically there's a ton of issues, level design and even area design is a lot more unique in ME2, the Mako controls and areas flat out suck.

Now the story, character interactions and moments are better in that game but man....the gameplay

#4 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Yes. It absolutely does. It's a little rough in some spots, but overall it's really not the hassle people claim it is. And I actually like driving the Mako, I never understood why people hated it.

#5 Posted by ThePickle (4166 posts) -

No. The story still holds up, but the gameplay: uuuuuuuggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. 

#6 Posted by Leviticus128 (217 posts) -

I still like it, it's obviously not at streamlined but that story, oh man, thats enough to forgive anything for.

#7 Edited by gike987 (1779 posts) -

Depends on what you like. Mass effect is much more of an RPG than Mass Effect 2. So if you mainly play shooters I don't think you will enjoy the first Mass Effect. If you like RPG the first Mass Effect will hold up fine. I personally liked the story and character interactions much more in the first game.

#8 Posted by nukesniper (1312 posts) -

The story is the reason I loved Mass Effect. It had a lot of issues that I overlooked because I loved that game so damn much. It is worth paying, but just know there will be things you won't like about it.

#9 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I like the combat in the original Mass Effect more. 

it is janky as hell, but Mass Effect 2 is just too simple to be interesting.

#10 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12106 posts) -

Kind of? I mean, even though they are both part of the same franchise, they're both very different games, both tonally and in the way they play, as I found out when I replayed the first game after I finished the second. The problems people had with it 3 years ago are still there. The combat is still clunky, the inventory management is still bad, the elevators still take forever, and the Mako is still the worst part of any Bioware game ever. 

However, the way story is told in games hasn't advanced far enough to make any of the story bits less impactful, but I personally was never a huge fan of Mass Effect's cast and Ashley is still terrible. So, if you do decide to play it, just go for broke and don't touch any of the planet exploration sidequests. Because those were the worst part, and are still the worst part.

#11 Posted by LiquidPrince (16166 posts) -

Having played it quite recently, it definitely does. In all respects.

#12 Posted by Skytylz (4039 posts) -

Yah, it's way more of an RPG is all.  I like it more than two honestly, but that might have been since I got so hyped for it.

#13 Posted by alternate (2720 posts) -

I endured it rather than enjoyed it.  Was a lot less painful on PC though.

#14 Posted by hexx462 (506 posts) -

I'm rather afraid to pop it back into the 360, played through it twice but ME2's mechanical improvements were so vast I don't see how I could stomach it.

#15 Posted by TomA (2531 posts) -

Yes. 

1)It's still sort of an RPG
2) Loot. I don't understand why people didn't like this aspect of the game, it was fun. 
3) The main story is much better than the second game, where as you actually care about what's going on rather than just being told where to go next by some asshole in a chair. 
4) The weapons sound more appropriate for the setting. 
5) Things are just generally more customizable, adding some re playability and variation. 

#16 Posted by JohnTheGamer (343 posts) -

Having just completed it a few days ago, I think it's a very good game. The storytelling and narrative was superb; the gameplay was alright, I enjoyed it but I know it's by far not a great third-person action game. All that said, I haven't played Mass Effect 2 yet so I can;t compare between the two.

#17 Posted by OtakuGamer (1285 posts) -
Not really compared to Mass Effect 2.
#18 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6402 posts) -

It is still playable and enjoyable, but Mass Effect 2 is by far more improved in almost every aspect. The only thing that I like (a little) more in Mass Effect is the bigger skill tree and the XP system.

#19 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1577 posts) -

I think people are having an easier time seeing the flaws that were always present in the game.  It's still pretty good though just not the masterpiece sometimes say that it is.
#20 Posted by benjaebe (2784 posts) -

Having just finished my latest Hardcore completionist playthrough last night, I can say that yeah it still does hold up. It's really hard to compare it to Mass Effect 2 because they changed so much. Everything gameplay-wise feels much slower and deliberate. It feels much more like an RPG first and a third person shooter second, whereas I think they tried to even those out with Mass Effect 2. It's also worth it for the story, which I think is great and introduces you to great characters like Wrex and Garrus (definitely squad of the year, all years.) I'd definitely suggest playing it, though if you have a decent computer and didn't care about transferring save files on 360 or anything (if that was your platform of choice), I'd think that PC would be the platform to go with since it gets rid of most of the technical problems with the game. The frame rate can get pretty awful under load.

#21 Posted by christ0phe (946 posts) -

I just restarded on Hard, and seriously, fuckkkkkk, fuckkkk, FUCK THE MAKO PARTS.  THAT SHIP IS A PIECE OF SHITTY TINFOIL THAT CAN'T TAKE MORE THAN TWO HITS.   FUCK YOUUUU

#22 Posted by cannedstingray (414 posts) -

I just played through it before x-mas and I thought it was really pretty good, that said I like what they did with ME2 alot more as far as gameplay goes, but as long as you keep in mind that ME1 is an older game it can still be quite good
#23 Posted by Undeadpool (4996 posts) -

It's actually a lot more of a grind. I'm playing it on Hardcore and man, you just have to sit there and pick apart enemies, even with really great weapons or skills. That and the Mako sections are my biggest complaints, though, the game's just fine from a storyline/dialog perspective.

#24 Posted by NTM (7542 posts) -

Holds up better on PC.
#25 Posted by sterbacblu (231 posts) -

I've already played ME twice and I'm more likely to play ME a third time than playing ME2 a second time.

#26 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

It's only three years old.  I don't think it's a question of whether or not it holds up, but whether you would have like it or not in the first place.  And to that, I cannot say.

#27 Posted by morosemode (51 posts) -

@TomA said:

"Yes.   1)It's still sort of an RPG 2) Loot. I don't understand why people didn't like this aspect of the game, it was fun.  3) The main story is much better than the second game, where as you actually care about what's going on rather than just being told where to go next by some asshole in a chair.  4) The weapons sound more appropriate for the setting.  5) Things are just generally more customizable, adding some re playability and variation.  "

1) Mass Effect 2 is still an RPG, it just breaks the traditional RPG format (Much like Mass Effect 1 was trying to do). 
2) The loot aspect was bad purely because there was so much downtime managing your equipment, largely because the UI was a pain when you had a large assortment of equipment to sort between 3-6 characters. 
3) The main story was largely The Alliance/The Council telling you which planets to go to, and at certain plot points (in comparison to ME2) the dailogue was weaker (only my opinion). 
4) Erm, never noticed (though how you would determine this without a Timemachine into a fictional future, I'm not sure). 
5) Yeah, ME1 had more customization for your characters with loot & more skills. 

My personal opinion (I'm currently replaying ME1 on the back of a ME2 play through), ME1's combat is largely inferior and hard to slip back into. After awhile I got used to it and just roll through most combat now, having lots of abilities to spam keeps it interesting.  
 Having to stop after doing afew missions to manage my loot is currently my biggest pet peeve. My other problems are planet exploration and side missions on planets. The missions mostly follow very unsubtle templates, and the level designers for certain overly-mountainous planets can kiss my mako. Also the game does feel janky. I mean ME2 wasn't technically perfect, but ME1 has more issues that seem to effect gameplay. A couple times I've had enemies not spawn/appear properly, FPS drops, squad members refusing to follow behind me until I transition to another area, etc. 

As a whole, I am enjoying going back to it, but being a completionist and trying to do as much side stuff as possible has become very dull (pretty much done with the sidestuff, now though).    
#28 Posted by amir90 (2178 posts) -
@TomA said:
" Yes.   1)It's still sort of an RPG 2) Loot. I don't understand why people didn't like this aspect of the game, it was fun.  3) The main story is much better than the second game, where as you actually care about what's going on rather than just being told where to go next by some asshole in a chair.  4) The weapons sound more appropriate for the setting.  5) Things are just generally more customizable, adding some re playability and variation.  "
This, also the graphics are very good on the PC (if you have a descent computer), if not I remember the frame rate issue has been fixed on 360, at least late time I tried it on 360.
#29 Posted by nick_verissimo (1401 posts) -

If you love the Mass Effect universe, than there is always something to go back to with the first game. I only played through it once, but I did every damn mission and mined all the planets I could in the 30-40 hours I dropped into that game.  Although I had a lot of annoyances in that first game, it's still a great universe to explore and I don't think I've played a more fully realized universe like this one.  Once I get through Red Dead and Alan Wake, I'm very excited to jump back into that shit!

#30 Edited by Jeust (10857 posts) -
@alternate said:

" I endured it rather than enjoyed it.  Was a lot less painful on PC though. "

Still painful. Not a great game. 
#31 Posted by Fruitcocoa (490 posts) -

Well it is definitely more... crazy. I mean, I played as a Vanguard and found myself running straight into every enemy and punching them in the face. This, only because the shooting kind of isn't that good. But with that said, the shotgun is awesome! I think that the game holds up just as good as it possibly could. It's hard to get the fact that this is a prequel out of your mind and every time something weird happens you think - Man, I'm really glad they'd fixed that.  

#32 Edited by FourWude (2245 posts) -

ME1 >>>>> ME2.

Put it like this. ME1 is techy Sci-Fi. Deep, involved, almost a little pedantic in its detail. ME2 is bog-standard shooter Sci-Fi. Blow shit up and then blow some more shit up. 

So what do you prefer?

#33 Posted by Fruitcocoa (490 posts) -
@FourWude: That's a little harsh. As good as Mass Effect 1 was, I couldn't really think of a better sequel then what BioWare gave us.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.