Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 20, 2007

Humanity is still a newcomer on the futuristic galactic stage, and it's up to the charismatic Commander Shepard to investigate the actions of a rogue agent while under threat from a dangerous synthetic race known as the Geth.

Thinking about picking this up...

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By cinemandrew

I've been curious about this game for a while, and I've wanted to get it (especially since it's only $20 now). My only concern is that it will have the same problem I found in KOTOR. I own KOTOR, I like it, but I've never completed it. I just get hung up on the lack of enemy respawns. When I play an RPG, especially one with more depth like this one, I like having the ability to grind levels. With KOTOR, I never had that option. I liked the story, the presentation, the battle system, and pretty much everything in that game, except the xp. I can understand why they would do that. I can respect that it forces you to think a little harder before you invest in a skill. I just prefer a game that rewards you for spending more time building up your characters. Any feedback would be appreciated. 

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Arkthemaniac

You can spend a lot of time building up your characters in this game, but, since I haven't played it a ton, I'm not sure if the main missions will scale to fit you.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By breadfan

Definitely pick it up.  A two disk Platinum Hits version just came out for $20.  Well worth it

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By jakob187

Why would you still be thinking about it?  THINKING about getting this game is something that people should NEVER do.  You should just simply see it and say "fuck yes, let's do this shit, you dirty tramp".

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cinemandrew
    jakob187 said:
    "Why would you still be thinking about it?  THINKING about getting this game is something that people should NEVER do.  You should just simply see it and say "fuck yes, let's do this shit, you dirty tramp"."
    Well that doesn't really answer my question, but it sure is convincing.

Br3adfan said:
    "Definitely pick it up.  A two disk Platinum Hits version just came out for $20.  Well worth it
    "
    I wasn't aware of a 2-disk edition. Thanks for the heads up.
    MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MKHavoc

It's been a while since I've played, but I don't remember there being respawning enemies.  The main story was made up of a few long missions, but I don't remember being able to go back any of the planets that were necessary for the main quest.  I could be wrong though, but remember it's been a while.  I really enjoyed the game though.  Sorry, if I wasn't much help.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#7  Edited By sarahsdad

I just finished the game for the first time about a month or two ago, and MKHavok's right, if there were re-spawns they were really subtle. I'm not sure about XP, but the game can be set at the start to different challenge levels. I think there were three; with the lowest having you always fighting enemies that were lower level than you, the middle fighting the basic enemies at about your level, while bosses were scaled above you, and the third level had everything higher level than you from start to finish.

I played through on medium, and it felt satisfying. I started out not that good, and gradually scaled up;  by the end, I couldn't ignore the regular enemies, but I was also good enough that I could experiment with different strategies, and the boss fights (especially the last one) were appropriately difficult.
    cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cinemandrew
    sarahsdad said:
    "I just finished the game for the first time about a month or two ago, and MKHavok's right, if there were re-spawns they were really subtle. I'm not sure about XP, but the game can be set at the start to different challenge levels. I think there were three; with the lowest having you always fighting enemies that were lower level than you, the middle fighting the basic enemies at about your level, while bosses were scaled above you, and the third level had everything higher level than you from start to finish.
    I played through on medium, and it felt satisfying. I started out not that good, and gradually scaled up;  by the end, I couldn't ignore the regular enemies, but I was also good enough that I could experiment with different strategies, and the boss fights (especially the last one) were appropriately difficult.
    "
    That pretty well answers my question. It seems like the game may not have been exactly what I was looking for (at least in this reguard), but it's probably something I should give a shot anyway. Hell, what's $20 in the long run right?
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Karmum

Do it, great game. Will get you pumped up for Mass Effect 2, for sure.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By jakob187
    cinemandrew said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "Why would you still be thinking about it?  THINKING about getting this game is something that people should NEVER do.  You should just simply see it and say "fuck yes, let's do this shit, you dirty tramp"."
    Well that doesn't really answer my question, but it sure is convincing.
    "
    How does that NOT help you?  What more could you ask for other than for it to magically sprout tits, poon, and ass and call itself "horny Anne Hathaway"?!

Buy it.  Buy it.  Buy it.  FFS, BUY IT!!!
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#11  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Mass Effect is a good game with great story and characters, however the side quests are tedious and repetetive, party member AI is bad, and there are some technical problems which all keep it from being excellent. Still, worth getting, especially at $20

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By ArchScabby

What do you mean thinking?  You better get this game NOW!!

Lev_Arris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Lev_Arris

I will give it a try too.  I found a lot of problems with KOTOR and when Mass Effect came out I was worried that it would fall in the same shoes.  

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Kohe321

Absolutely, it's an awesome game.

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cinemandrew

Purchased it. I'm 20 hours in, and I'm loving it so far. well worth the $20.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.