What carries over to the next playthrough?

#1 Posted by Doctorchimp (4078 posts) -

I decided to finally S-Rank the first Mass Effect, I'm on Vetaran with Garrus and Kaidan, then I was going to breeze through Hardcore with Liara and Tali, then finally I was going to do Insanity and import that into Mass Effect 2 and get the perfect save to upload into Mass Effect 3. 

But I'm nearing the end of this first playthrough with this Shepard, but I was wondering exactly what equipment carries over to the next playthrough? I'm almost near the end and I was thinking about stocking up on armors to give to Liara and Tali at the start of the next playthrough since I haven't touched them at all at on this one. 

When I see my allies again will they have the armor I bought for them already equipped on them? Or do I have to make sure it's only in my inventory? Or does it only carry over whatever weapons Shepard was carrying at the end of the game?

#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Doctorchimp said:
" I decided to finally S-Rank the first Mass Effect, I'm on Vetaran with Garrus and Kaidan, then I was going to breeze through Hardcore with Liara and Tali, then finally I was going to do Insanity and import that into Mass Effect 2 and get the perfect save to upload into Mass Effect 3.  But I'm nearing the end of this first playthrough with this Shepard, but I was wondering exactly what equipment carries over to the next playthrough? I'm almost near the end and I was thinking about stocking up on armors to give to Liara and Tali at the start of the next playthrough since I haven't touched them at all at on this one.  When I see my allies again will they have the armor I bought for them already equipped on them? Or do I have to make sure it's only in my inventory? Or does it only carry over whatever weapons Shepard was carrying at the end of the game? "
Nothing carries over. Weapon and item wise.  The start of ME2 assures that. 
#3 Posted by Robiin (297 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man: I believe he is talking about New game+ in Mass Effect.

If I remember correctly (I have played ME1 seven times so I'm pretty sure), everything in your inventory, including money, carries over.
#4 Posted by Doctorchimp (4078 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man: Haha, I"m well aware of what happens in Mass Effect 2...I have beaten it... 

I'm talking about Mass Effect 1. 

@Robiin: That sounds really good, do you know what happens to the equipment on party members? Does it go to my inventory or do they disappear? 
#5 Posted by weegieanawrench (1943 posts) -
@Robiin: Does your level reset? I hope not, I want those level 50 and 60 achievements.
#6 Posted by Doctorchimp (4078 posts) -
@weegieanawrench said:
" @Robiin: Does your level reset? I hope not, I want those level 50 and 60 achievements. "
No, that I'm certain of. 

Your Shepard's level and talent points go through to the next playthrough.
#7 Posted by weegieanawrench (1943 posts) -
@Doctorchimp: Great news, thanks man!
#8 Posted by Doctorchimp (4078 posts) -
@weegieanawrench said:
" @Doctorchimp: Great news, thanks man! "
You might want to start over anyway though to get the bonus talent on the new Shepard. 

I remember that's specifically why I only beat Mass Effect once when it first came out, I wanted to be an adept with the assault rifle. So I had to go through it as a Soldier my first time through. Then since I felt like I was just going to go through it again I didn't pay too much attention to my playthrough. Although all my decisions were what I wanted to pass on, my talent point spread was less than ideal. I still had tons of fun though and I remember it was still my favorite 360 game.

Before I knew it Mass Effect 2 came out and they handled the bonus talent stuff a lot better so you don't bone your first character. So I went Adept and got the assault rifle when it presented itself and I had tons of fun, so now i'm going to do a Shepard that was an adept the whole way.
#9 Posted by Robiin (297 posts) -
@Doctorchimp said:  
@Robiin: That sounds really good, do you know what happens to the equipment on party members? Does it go to my inventory or do they disappear?  "
I believe they reset, but you still have everything in your inventory, so you can just re-equip them with the best you've got. Shepard's equipment stays though, except maybe the starting weapon (I believe you start with a Kessler I pistol or something similar), but you can just re-equip him at the start of Eden Prime.
#10 Posted by SammydesinasNL (840 posts) -

Everthing carries over and you get all your party members' items in your inventory. However, make sure you sell all useless items other wise you may reach the item limit in your new game+ (150 items). Make sure to get the 'rich' achievement because that unlocks the best weapons in the game (spectre master gear). Your talents and ranks are unchanged.

#11 Posted by imsh_pl (3298 posts) -

I just love BioWare for giving you so many reasons to replay ME and ME2, so you can have a perfect character in the later parts.
I don't normally replay games, but this series has got sooo much replayability in it :)

#12 Posted by Doctorchimp (4078 posts) -
@SammydesinasNL: Thanks for the tip, I try and keep it bare in my inventory anyway and sell everything not equipped to Shepard, Kaidan, and Garrus right now. Everybody else is still on their default armors ha. But yeah before I finish it I'll make sure to sell everything.

Yeah I got the Rich on my very first playthrough years ago, it was nice to dump everything for that Spectre VII assault rifle in the beginning of my vet playthrough. Really makes weapons a non-issue when Garrus has the Spectre SR and Kaidan has the spectre pistol. 

@imsh_pl: Yeah, it's kind of like Resident Evil 5 in that way where you can get all the crazy weapons and levels you need, because on the hardest difficulty you'll need it. (except I like Mass Effect a whole lot more)

Hopefully more and more developers realize I'll go through their hardest difficulty on a multiple playthrough run, just let me take my character progression. I usually go for the hardest difficulty off the bat since I'll probably not want to go through it again starting from nothing.
#13 Posted by Tordah (2484 posts) -

I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer for. I just finished the game and I want to continue with my level 50 character on Hardcore.  

When I choose new game and "existing ID" the game automatically sets to Normal and it won't let me change it. Not before starting the game or in game. I also tried starting a new game with the "John Shepard ID" which lets me choose the hardcore difficulty, but then my character was only level 1. Aren't your levels supposed to carry through to a new playthrough?

#14 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Doctorchimp: If you reach level fifty in your first playthrough, you unlock the prototype Spectre-grade weapons on the barracks at The Citadel. These weapons are usually at least two times more powerful than anything you will end up finishing the game with. Giving one of these weapons to each of your guys ensures their reliability. I say this because when you start a new game plus, you don't need to reach level fifty to buy and use these weapons; you'll just need to pay the proper amount to access them, which will take you a good four or five hours to amass that level of credits.
#15 Posted by Doctorchimp (4078 posts) -
@Tordah said:
" I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer for. I just finished the game and I want to continue with my level 50 character on Hardcore.   When I choose new game and "existing ID" the game automatically sets to Normal and it won't let me change it. Not before starting the game or in game. I also tried starting a new game with the "John Shepard ID" which lets me choose the hardcore difficulty, but then my character was only level 1. Aren't your levels supposed to carry through to a new playthrough? "
As long as you change the difficulty before you land on Eden Prime at the very start when you are on the Normandy you are fine and the game will count it for the achievement.

@Napalm said:
" @Doctorchimp: If you reach level fifty in your first playthrough, you unlock the prototype Spectre-grade weapons on the barracks at The Citadel. These weapons are usually at least two times more powerful than anything you will end up finishing the game with. Giving one of these weapons to each of your guys ensures their reliability. I say this because when you start a new game plus, you don't need to reach level fifty to buy and use these weapons; you'll just need to pay the proper amount to access them, which will take you a good four or five hours to amass that level of credits. "

Yeah I know at the beginning of the veteran playthrough I bought Spectre weapons and then when I hit 50 I put Spectre X weapons on everyone.

Now I'm at 9999999 credits and 9999 omingel. I should probably stop picking up equipment or even touching locked boxes since I have the best equipment period for my party...

Whatever I just finished Hardcore got the Asari and Quarian achievement and I guess I'll start it on Insanity when my Marvel 3 fever dies down...
#16 Posted by Tordah (2484 posts) -
@Doctorchimp: I tried changing it right away on the Normandy but it doesn't save my change, it just resets it back to Normal when I go out of the menu. Is it possible that my game is bugged or something?
#17 Posted by Doctorchimp (4078 posts) -
@Tordah: 

You can't just back out of the menu, there's a confirm selections and exit option.
#18 Posted by Tordah (2484 posts) -
@Doctorchimp: D'oh, I'm stupid. I don't know how I missed that. Thanks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.