What moral compass did you aim for in your first play-through?

#1 Posted by Cesb02 (145 posts) -

Everytime I play these type of games that require making moral judgements and make you either good or bad, my first time through I try to make the character choose options very similar to what i would choose. This means im in the good but I do sometimes pick the bad choices. For example in Mass Effect one side quest required me to get a dead soldiers body back to her family and I pushed the guy who wouldnt hand over the body into the wall even though he was only following proper protocol. 

I enjoy this and then second time through I go for super EVIL.
#2 Posted by Shawn (3825 posts) -

I went for Paragon-In between first time through.

Second time I didn't give a damn and went full renegade.

#3 Posted by McDazzle (544 posts) -
Shawn said:
"I went for Paragon-In between first time through.

Second time I didn't give a damn and went full renegade.
"
What he said
#4 Posted by Suicrat (3764 posts) -

I go with what suits the gameplay. In Mass Effect I had a lot of Renegade because intimidating people to get what I want was easier than flattering them.

#5 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -

I was pure renegade.

#6 Posted by hazelnutman (1097 posts) -

In Fable, I decided off the bat to be the most bad-ass villain ever.

By the time I fully grew horns and killed my sister, I think I accomplished that.

Same goes for Oblivion. I use my manual save file to wipe out the entire population.

I'm usually a really nice guy in real life, so it's fun to vent out my frustrations.

#7 Posted by epic_pets (1339 posts) -

Just renagade

#8 Edited by Foil_Charizard (345 posts) -

I just picked whichever response I felt I would say in the given situation, it usually ended up being Paragon  or neutral just because the Renegade choices were something that most people would never actually say or do. (Like punching a lady news reporter in the stomach on camera)

#9 Posted by RVonE (4621 posts) -

I went all paragon all the way.

#10 Posted by Cesb02 (145 posts) -
Foil_Charizard said:
"I just picked whichever response I felt I would say in the given situation, it usually ended up being Paragon  or neutral just because the Renegade choices were something that most people would never actually say or do. (Like punching a lady news reporter in the stomach on camera)

"
lol yea thats true, thats why its fun on the second time through for me to play as renegade the choices are so ridiculous.

#11 Posted by Josiah (101 posts) -

I'm always good the first time and bad the second time.

#12 Posted by DualReaver (3882 posts) -

Based on what I felt like doing at the time, I didn't go in deciding to play a good character or bad character.

#13 Posted by twenty0ne (3071 posts) -

I went for Paragon the first time.

#14 Posted by epic_pets (1339 posts) -

I was bad the first time

#15 Posted by TheC0m1ssar (24 posts) -

I went Paragon the whole way. I'm too much of a nice guy. That is, until they piss me off and I rip them a new one.

#16 Posted by toxicEnchiliada (330 posts) -

I went paragon but on the second way through I did what ever made more sense

#17 Posted by Bladefire (214 posts) -

I went paragon the first two times (getting my guy to 60, cause of the carryover thing they're supposed to have). Then I went full renegade on the third.

#18 Posted by Caddy (308 posts) -

I went through trying to be as good as one could be, for my first playthrough anyway. I actually haven't completed my second playthrough yet, but that one is the one where I am having fun and insulting everybody and being a jackass. It's great! :)

#19 Posted by Moat (13 posts) -

I was paragon first time and renegade second time.....then paragon the 3rd and 4th time and then renegade the 5th time...........and so on

#20 Posted by Termite (2398 posts) -

I went for pure paragon

#21 Posted by nobull6 (238 posts) -

I can't help but be good.  I went Paragon the first time with the intent that I'd go Renegade on the second play through.  So far I've found that it's hard to select the Renegade option because it feels wrong.  Lame, I know.

#22 Posted by Rex (82 posts) -

I actually tried to maintain a balance between the two to be honest. On my second play through I went completely renegade and on my third I went through completely paragon.

#23 Posted by Alynablaze (82 posts) -

I got renegade on my first playthrough of mass effect, I'm currently doing my second run and getting paragon

#24 Posted by suneku (2997 posts) -

First playthrough I just chose what I'd do in that situation... which turned out to be towards paragon... then I made another one and went full renegade to check out what the dialogue was... it was pretty funny at times haha

#25 Edited by FrozenVX (95 posts) -

Whoa I didn't notice that there was already a topic like this before I made mine. I don't know how to delete it.
Right now I'm going through the game trying to be Renegade, but sometimes I can't make the worst decision because it makes me feel all bad on the inside.
It does sound a little lame, I know.

I've already beat the game, and achieved Paragon though.

#26 Posted by GameFreak315 (151 posts) -

I'm the kind of person who feels bad going Renegade.  I'm on my first playthrough and I'm Paragon...but I reckon I'll let loose next time.  :P

#27 Posted by AutomaticSnake (390 posts) -

Paragon on my first time.

#28 Posted by heretrix (84 posts) -

Paragon, but by a hair....

#29 Posted by Smitatoe (64 posts) -

paragon since in ME2 i want to be good

#30 Edited by BigDo6 (166 posts) -
Jaga
Full out Paragon. I just pretended I had Jaga looking over my shoulder.

-------------------------------------------------
Big Do-six: "That's why they pay me."
#31 Posted by Shadow (4978 posts) -

Paragon, but went Renegade on my second....and I did whatever I wanted on my 3rd and 4th playthroughts.....achievements ftw

#32 Edited by HistoryInRust (6289 posts) -

Good.  So, I'm not the only one who is trying to emulate themselves in a virtual scenario.

I'm playing through the game for the first time right now, actually (check my blog for Mass Effect diaries), and my character is as close to my personality as I can manage.  I'm keeping the balance between Paragon and Renegade pretty well, because I have a pretty mean streak with idiots deemed as such, but my overall morals seem to be leading me toward the life of a Paragon.

#33 Posted by WhySoGodly (32 posts) -

I ended up being a Renegade but not by much. I just went with what I would really say in that situation instead of just trying to be a Renegade.

#34 Posted by idiotic_genius1 (416 posts) -

Good the first time I played through and then super evil the second time.

#35 Posted by Lies (3866 posts) -

I walked the line a bit, choosing whatever option seemed best. Leaned Paragon most of the time it turned out though.

#36 Posted by Manks (836 posts) -

I did Paragon for the first playthrough as well and then I'm in the process of Renegade on my second playthrough. 

#37 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

My own. I wasn't pure Paragon or Renegade; I did what I would have done were I Shepard.

#38 Posted by LKPOWER (154 posts) -

I finished the game as a paragon and I'm currently playing through again as a renegade.  Both sides are enjoyable but I have to say that the renegade dialog is more interesting

#39 Posted by Homer (1372 posts) -

Renagade and renagade only :)

#40 Posted by Kevin (369 posts) -

First time: Super nice guy
Second time: Evil motherfucker

Currently in my 3rd real play through and I seem to be leaning more to paragon again, though being a renegade is more fun.

#41 Posted by sterbacblu (231 posts) -

I usually play based on what my reactions would be in real life (if real life involved me being a commander on an intergalactic space cruiser?), however I just had to go for the achievements so I decided to be totally good the first time around.  Second time around I was completely evil.  It's much easier to be evil.  Nothing like lying to someone that you finished their quest when you really didn't.

#42 Posted by Robot_Vampire (49 posts) -

I go for what I would choose in real life as I feel it makes the game have more meaning to me and my choices will actually have repurcussions. But when I completed Mass Effect I was mainly on the paragon side with a few renegade points. On the second play through, I was very, very evil.

#43 Posted by YuXing (65 posts) -

Paragon.

In the Bioware games like KOTOR and Mass Effect, i always go for full good first.
Usually this is because going good is easier to play.

However, I must say the going renegade is has its fun moments too!

#44 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

I went the moral compass that would allow me to have fun with Mass Effect, but failed. Shame, too.

#45 Posted by Cesb02 (145 posts) -
BigDo6 said:
"
Jaga
Full out Paragon. I just pretended I had Jaga looking over my shoulder.

-------------------------------------------------
Big Do-six: "That's why they pay me."
"
LOL
#46 Posted by Captain_Insano (1534 posts) -
Josiah said:
"I'm always good the first time and bad the second time.
"

same, although I mix it up with the occasional renegade answer the first time through, its fun to see Shepard punching people/aliens in the face
#47 Posted by RagingLion (1365 posts) -
nobull6 said:
"I can't help but be good.  I went Paragon the first time with the intent that I'd go Renegade on the second play through.  So far I've found that it's hard to select the Renegade option because it feels wrong.  Lame, I know.
"

Pretty much the same way with me.  I haven't had a second playthrough yet though am meaning to.  I want to try out fully renegade for that - we'll see if I feel ok doing that.  Just want to see all the different dialogue options and plot developments.  Also, think I might try a women the second time though - get the feminine perspective.
#48 Posted by Seram (192 posts) -

I've come to the realization that even if I aim to be evil, I end up making the good choices because I just feel so bad when I make an evil one. Thats how it was with Kotor, turns out its the same with this game. :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.