What NEEDS to Happen in Mass Effect 2

#1 Posted by darthzew (304 posts) -

People have posted a lot of ideas to make Mass Effect 2 generally a better game but there some things that simply must happen in order for the sequel to truly be better. Here's what I think:

1. Fix Every Last Technical Issue - That means no more texture pop-in, no more framerate bugs, and definitely no more obnoxiously long elevator rides.
2. Fix the AI  - That AI is terrible in Mass Effect. It's what makes some parts so frickin' hard. The AI just rushes at you screaming "ENEMIES EVERYWHERE!!" 
3. Variety - How about we make the armors look different instead of just changing colors? Or maybe we could have weapons look different? 
4. Good Sidequests - Nice try with the planets, but in ME they're boring. Let's get some fun sidequests.
5. Better Control Scheme - The back button is not a grenade button.
6. A Plot that Explains - What exactly are the Reavers? Let's get some more information about stuff like that. I don't want to be left in the dark for much longer.
7. Ditch or Fix the Mako - The Mako is just bad. 
8. Tightening - Let's tighten up the combat and make it a bit more enjoyable. I'm not sure exactly how, but it just seems like it could an amazing TPS if they'd just tighten the combat.

That's all I can think of... do you have any ideas? 
#2 Posted by ColMustard (357 posts) -
darthzew said:
"People have posted a lot of ideas to make Mass Effect 2 generally a better game but there some things that simply must happen in order for the sequel to truly be better. Here's what I think:
1. Fix Every Last Technical Issue - That means no more texture pop-in, no more framerate bugs, and definitely no more obnoxiously long elevator rides.
2. Fix the AI  - That AI is terrible in Mass Effect. It's what makes some parts so frickin' hard. The AI just rushes at you screaming "ENEMIES EVERYWHERE!!" 
3. Variety - How about we make the armors look different instead of just changing colors? Or maybe we could have weapons look different? 
4. Good Sidequests - Nice try with the planets, but in ME they're boring. Let's get some fun sidequests.
6. A Plot that Explains - What exactly are the Reavers? Let's get some more information about stuff like that. I don't want to be left in the dark for much longer.
8. Tightening - Let's tighten up the combat and make it a bit more enjoyable. I'm not sure exactly how, but it just seems like it could an amazing TPS if they'd just tighten the combat.

"
Hey brother... yeah! all great ideas.
You know my feelings about the sidequests... my biggest complaint.  I'd even take less of them if they were more engaging.

Right on, with the grenade button... I do however, love the weapon/bio/tech wheel... being able to pause action adds so much to strategy its scary.

The plot would most likely naturally develop the Reavers story right? the second chapter of every great sci-fi trilogy HAS to put our hero in the worst possible situation to set up the glorious "against all odds" third chapter ending... The Reavers are a badass villan and I think they'll play a massive roll in chapter 2.

Armors... how different? not Too Human different but yeah, Mass Effect stylized different would be awesome. 

Mako... Call me a fanboy, but the concept of the mako is great. The execution of trying to menuver it (with shit controls) with no clear path and nothing to do but get to like 3 outposts and a hunk of metal on each planet is shit.  Its a cool idea, poorly implemented... ZEW, WE CAN SAVE THE MAKO!!!!

A.I... yeah, some tweaking would be nice.  I can't really think of many battles that stand out as particularly difficult throughout the game, so any tweaking to add immersion and strategy to the battles would be cool.

I'll add one... More endearing NPC's.  Squad members were awesome, but get me involved in the lives of the folks im questing for.  I feel they missed several opportunities to emotionally tie me into the plight of the people I was questing for.  In some cases, I didn't even care about the desicians I was making, I just wanted them out of my way.  Bringing Down the Sky was a much better attempt at this... I cared for both sides of the coin.

Inventory manegement... I suggest something by the way of Too Human's "color drop" option where, the game auto drops any weopon under a specific level/color.  Keeping the inventory clean is in desperate need.

Please, Please bring back the romantic element... I absolutly loved the dynamic between the two gals and thought that mature elements like that set Mass Effect apart from the ussual fair.

Great Post as ussual, Zew.
#3 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

How about bringing back the original Combat system, the one shown at XO6 (I think). Control of all three squad members, and being able to freeze time and position each one individually, were just two of the awesome features about that system. Please include it Bioware! Or you could just go over to Rainbow Six Vegas and nick the control system but include individual squad member commands. Ask Ubisoft nicely.

The Mako parts had neat ideas, but were poorly executed. An upgradeable vehicle would be nice, so you can decide how you play it. If you could actually level it up to make it good at something, it would become a valuable asset. E.G., you could pour points into the mako to make it a Mobile Base, with a stock of health packs, but at the cost of speed and killing power.

The sidequests, as you say, were great in theory but yet again, poorly executed. The planet exploration system could work oh so very well, but It really different. Planets with life apart from the citadel, but where main quests do not happen, would be another nice idea. Like, for example, visiting earth.

Inventory Management needs to be better, as you say, I whole heartedly agree. Maybe they could even let you build your own guns and customise them in the same depth as MGS4. Thats what the weapon upgrade system should be like. Same with the armour and biotics. (OK, I'm dreaming now.)

Also, mix up where you put the conversation options. Many will just click the top one to be good, rather than reading all of them and actually being forced to make a decision.

#4 Posted by ColMustard (357 posts) -

god no! please don't bring the squad command thing back into it... I was so happy they dropped it.

#5 Posted by Neorub (163 posts) -
darthzew said:
"People have posted a lot of ideas to make Mass Effect 2 generally a better game but there some things that simply must happen in order for the sequel to truly be better. Here's what I think:

"

Agreed! Your pretty spot on.  The guns did not bother me much but new armor would be awesome. The side quests were my biggest compliant as well, i could handle the tech issues but boring quests are harder to overcome.
#6 Edited by OneEyedNinja7 (797 posts) -

I'd like planets to not be basically the same with a different skin slapped on. Also I'd like the buildings and structures on uncharted planets to actually vary. Lastly, I'd expect cities or at least the main "city" be bigger and have more people to talk to and things to do. That or include more areas with non-enemy NPCs.

Also, I'd like to have a better  way of knowing which planets I have and haven't explored, so I wouldn't have to waste time going to planets I've already been to.

#7 Posted by pause422 (6188 posts) -

I'll tell you right now, Fix every last pop in isn't gonna happen as long as they're on the UE3 engine.

#8 Edited by Kazona (3068 posts) -
darthzew said:

"
1. A nice idea, but I think you're demanding just a tad too much. There is no way that every last technical issue can be fixed. As much as I would love to see an absolutely flawless game, it's just not going to happen.
2. Totally agree with you there. One moment you can waltz over enemies as if you're stomping on roaches, and the next moment you're getting your ass handed to you so fast you don't even have time to say, "wtf?"
3. Variety is definitely a must, but not at the cost of sacraficing the general look of the game. I'm thinking more in the direction of having light armour actually look like it's light, thin and flexible and have the heavy stuff look bulkier and with more padding. I really hope you can have some kind of assassin/rogue type outfit, with a hood.. heh.
4. Can't argue with that one bit.
5. I don't remember much of the control scheme so can't comment on that
6. I think the second and third chapter will do exactly that.
7. Once I got a hang of it, I actually quite liked the Mako. They just need to fix the issue of not being able to hit anything above or below you--that shit is just lame.
8. I either want them to go for a more third-person shooter feel or focus more on the rpg style of gameplay. Right now it seems to be stuck somewhere in the middle unable to decide what it is exactly.
9. Some damn trees would be nice. The only really nice looking planet was one of the last planets you went to. Why can't there  be more places like that?

pause422 said:
"I'll tell you right now, Fix every last pop in isn't gonna happen as long as they're on the UE3 engine."
Sad, but true. Even GoW 2 has this issue. It just seems to be a common problem with that engine.
#9 Posted by OneEyedNinja7 (797 posts) -
Kazona said:
9. Some damn trees would be nice. The only really nice looking planet was one of the last planets you went to. Why can't there  be more places like that?"
Yeah some water/any type of fluid would be nice too.
#10 Edited by BigDo6 (166 posts) -

It would be nice if your interpersonal interactions had more effect on the dialogue options that were available and in game outcomes that followed. In Kotor 2 this was done incredibly well. However, when I beat Mass Effect, I went back through the game making completely different dialogue choices. My choices seemingly made little to no difference on the conversations I was having or there outcomes. Almost like the choices I made effected what my guy said and nothing else. The only time I felt like my choices made a difference was with the love interests or when I was tasked with either saving or killing someone. But, really even those came down to a linchpin decision that was overtly +/- yes or no.

#11 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

1. Make it good this time.

I shortened it ala George Carlin.

#12 Edited by Red (5995 posts) -

I have a shorter list:

1. Allow you to be able to choose what type of voice Shepard has.
  2. Give more weapon types (dual wield pistols?) and different types of biotics (Maybe a pyromaniac?)
  3. Back button for grenade is alright but it should be changed with the left trigger as the grenade button. The zoom should just go away. Just make sure that instead of having two buttons to take out and sheath your weapon, map it to one and then map the other to a cover button. Maybe map the back button to a Quicksave system?
  4. Make the main story longer. Planet length is fine, it's just I kinda want more of them.
  5. Fix elevators and pop-ins.
  6. Take away the stupid "Asari Ally" achievements and such. 
  7. If you're not gonna do the Commander Shepard character transfer and we have to make a new character: allow him/her to be of a different race; if dialog options and the way characters treated you changed I'd probably play through the game as any possible race.
#13 Posted by jakob187 (21671 posts) -

Dood, let BioWare finish Star Wars: TOR and Dragon Age.  Yeesh...

...and you people wonder why the fuck game companies put out rushed products so often.
#14 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"Dood, let BioWare finish Star Wars: TOR and Dragon Age.  Yeesh...
...and you people wonder why the fuck game companies put out rushed products so often.
"
BUT Y
#15 Posted by jakob187 (21671 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"jakob187 said:
"
BUT Y"
Because Dragon Age is FAR more important and worthwhile to wait for than Mass Effect 2.
Yeah, I said it.
#16 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

Yeah, I want TOR over ME2 any day. Just saying that WHEN they make a ME2 then there are some things they need to fix.

#17 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"jakob187 said:
"
BUT Y"
Because Dragon Age is FAR more important and worthwhile to wait for than Mass Effect 2.
Yeah, I said it.
"
They need to start making better games than they have been.
Call me a douche if you will, but Dragon Age and Mass Effect conceptually are both pretty bland. They are the stock of stock to me, with little flavor, unlike other much more important games coming out from less proven developers.
#18 Posted by samcotts (2258 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"jakob187 said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"jakob187 said:
"
BUT Y"
Yeah, I said it.
"
Call me a douche if you will, but Dragon Age and Mass Effect conceptually are both pretty bland. They are the stock of stock to me, with little flavor, unlike other much more important games coming out from less proven developers.
"
BioWare are brilliant. Take that back!
#19 Posted by Kloreep (139 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"
I'm pretty sure they're all separate teams, it's not like one detracts from another. :) From what I've read, it's a pretty safe bet they've been working on ME2 since finishing up ME1.
#20 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -
Neorub said:
"darthzew said:

"

Agreed! Your pretty spot on.  The guns did not bother me much but new armor would be awesome. The side quests were my biggest compliant as well, i could handle the tech issues but boring quests are harder to overcome."
Pretty much everything I can think of :)
#21 Posted by John (828 posts) -

UE3 = pop in. That's just the way it is, just look at gears 2.

#22 Posted by DirrtyNinja (715 posts) -
More alien debauchery!
#23 Posted by Jedted (2363 posts) -
John said:
"UE3 = pop in. That's just the way it is, just look at gears 2."

I was wondering about this.  When Jeff talked about Gears2 on the bombcast he said there WAS texture poping just like in Mass Effect.  Is it just not as noticable Gears cause of the art style or what?
#24 Posted by pweidman (2335 posts) -

My biggest prob w/ME was the lack of detail in the game world(lol, galaxie)..  They need to flesh out the detail in the game and make the side quests more interesting as well as smooth out the combat mechanic.  The popin doesn't bother me...it's about making the game universe more interesting and diverse/rich in terms of environs, aliens, buildings, outposts, vehicles, situations, etc...not just the main storyline.  The diff of doing this in a game about space exploration in a galaxy should also be acknowledged imo.  Looking forward to BW's fantasy game as much as ME2 really,  just as some have mentioned b4 above.

#25 Posted by commodore64 (113 posts) -
Jedted said:
"John said:

I was wondering about this.  When Jeff talked about Gears2 on the bombcast he said there WAS texture poping just like in Mass Effect.  Is it just not as noticable Gears cause of the art style or what?"
Gears 2 had Texture pop in but they did a much better job of hiding it. For example loading in most of the textures before starting the level.
#26 Posted by Jedted (2363 posts) -
commodore64 said:
"Jedted said:
"John said:

I was wondering about this.  When Jeff talked about Gears2 on the bombcast he said there WAS texture poping just like in Mass Effect.  Is it just not as noticable Gears cause of the art style or what?"
Gears 2 had Texture pop in but they did a much better job of hiding it. For example loading in most of the textures before starting the level."

Ah, well as i understand it Mass Effect doesn't use the HDD for loading textures so hopefully they'll optimize that better in ME2.
#27 Posted by Jedted (2363 posts) -
pweidman said:
"My biggest prob w/ME was the lack of detail in the game world(lol, galaxie)..  They need to flesh out the detail in the game and make the side quests more interesting as well as smooth out the combat mechanic.  The popin doesn't bother me...it's about making the game universe more interesting and diverse/rich in terms of environs, aliens, buildings, outposts, vehicles, situations, etc...not just the main storyline.  The diff of doing this in a game about space exploration in a galaxy should also be acknowledged imo.  Looking forward to BW's fantasy game as much as ME2 really,  just as some have mentioned b4 above."
Did you read all of the in-game codex entries?  There's a surprising amount of info regarding the history of other races aswell as how far humanity has advanced in 200 years.  There's also some interesting facts if you read all of the planetary descriptions.

If your talking about REAL physical worlds you can explore then i agree with you.  There should be alot more civilized worlds aside from the frozen corperate world of Noveria and the ruined colony on Feros.
#28 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
samcotts said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"jakob187 said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"jakob187 said:
"
BUT Y"
Yeah, I said it.
"
"
BioWare are brilliant. Take that back!"

FUCK NO!!

I will not hold a developer in a better light because of a name. Mass Effect was soooooooo meh, while many other games are better from different companies, they aren't treated as such.
#29 Posted by Seram (192 posts) -

What I want to see most is fully developed cities on planets. Like in Kotor for instance, most of the planets had some sort of infrastructure. The planets in Mass Effect are mostly barren.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.