Why Can't Shepard Speak?

#1 Posted by Hyuzen (443 posts) -

The biggest thing that annoyed me with ME was the fact that everything Shepard said had to be chosen by you. Most of the dialogue options lead to the same conclusion so sometimes it would've been nice if he had just said something without requiring my choice. It would've also made the fight scenes more interesting instead of a whole bunch of staring inbetween shooting.

#2 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

What would be immersion if you couldn't control what he said or his actions?

#3 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

That is the appeal of Bioware's games, the player is in control of how the game turns out.  

#4 Posted by Delta_Ass (3255 posts) -

Yea, good point.

And why can't Gordon Freeman speak either? What's up with that?

#5 Posted by Mikemcn (6954 posts) -
@Delta_Ass said:
"Yea, good point.  And why can't Gordon Freeman speak either? What's up with that? "

Its called silent protagonist, having this allows for the creation of things like Freemans mind......... 

The player is supposed to put their own feelings into the character. In the case of freemans mind, Gordon is a neurotic genius.
#6 Posted by Icemael (6312 posts) -
@Mikemcn: I'm pretty sure Delta was joking at the expense of TC.
#7 Posted by Mikemcn (6954 posts) -
@Icemael said:
" @Mikemcn: I'm pretty sure Delta was joking at the expense of TC. "

Maybe, sarcasm is kinda hard to identify on the internet. And i would have posted that anyways lol
#8 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -

I personally... hmm... dislike is too soft, but hate/loathe are too strong...

I have negative feelings toward silent protagonists.

#9 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Maybe bioware wanted you to feel like your the character, considering at least you could make your own if you didn't want to be the default shepard.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.