Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Massive Chalice

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jun 01, 2015

A single-player turn-based tactical strategy game developed by Double Fine Productions.

So I guess this is now an early access game?

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

Surprised to see Double Fine try this again after what went down with Spacebase DF-9.

Think I'm gonna wait until it's proper release. Any early impressions from those of you that took the plunge?

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 75

#2  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Yeah, I'll wait too.

SharkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

its hard as fuck. I should probably watch someone who knows what they are doing play. oh, i got this from buying into the game after kickstarter but before early access, so i just got access now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1eff447c9e5
    deactivated-5c1eff447c9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I get the feeling that if I play this ahead of its release, even if I end up loving it, I won't be able to appreciate the final version as much as I would otherwise. This is really my own personal issue with Early Access titles.

That being said, this game sounds great, so I can't wait for its release.

wait

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I took the plunge not knowing it was early access haha (wasn't paying attention). That being said the game is hard at first took a bit to understand all the mechanics but overall I've sunk in about 8 hours so far. I think I spend most of my time trying to diversify my hero classes and houses and trying to weed out the bad traits. Combat is VERY X-COM like except without the overwatch :( The game does get harder as time goes on with multiple enemies and different types hence me spending most of my time trying to make stronger heroes.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

steam forums seem particularly gross with this one. poor brad D:

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7 chaser324  Moderator

Yeah, I got into the initial backer beta a little while ago. While it's enjoyable and fairly well put together in its current form, I'd suggest holding off. It needs a lot more polish and balancing before I could wholeheartedly recommend diving into it. It has a very solid conceptual foundation, but it needs more time for the potential of those concepts to be fully realized.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187

@creamypies said:

Surprised to see Double Fine try this again after what went down with Spacebase DF-9.

Think I'm gonna wait until it's proper release. Any early impressions from those of you that took the plunge?

What happened with Spacebase DF-9?

*EDIT* Just looked it all up. Holy fucking shit. Double Fine should get their shit together!

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I will never, ever buy an early access game, even this. It's too much of a risk for too little reward

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187: it wasn't as disgraceful as all that. They bit off more than they could chew but they were upfront about it and offered a free game iirc.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I think it's tenuous to equate something like Spacebase DF-9 with either Broken Age or Massive Chalice coming onto Early Access. Both of those latter games were pretty far along when they came to Early Access and were released soon after Kickstarter backer reward beta access anyway. Spacebase on the other hand was effectively an Early Access game from pretty much the beginning and with it introduced player involvement in the alpha stage. Since Spacebase was also funded between a combination of internal funding, IndieFund, and Early Access revenue, that game was more vulnerable to budget and revenue shifts than anything they've been working on lately. The way I see it, that Spacebase and DF's other games are on Early Access is incidental. That won't stop the internet from being shitty though. Just to be clear I don't mean to say that Early Access skepticism or criticism of the products aren't healthy or welcome.

Immunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

steam forums seem particularly gross with this one. poor brad D:

After reading through the forums, I feel bad for those guys. I understand people being upset, but there is some crazy overreaction going on over there. God damn internet.

Memu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Steam would just quit allowing early access all the problems with early access would go away.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Some of this, in my opinion, is DF being largely overrated at a studio. Most of this is that Early Access is far too much of a gamble that allows this stuff to happen. Some people seem to think Early Access is you "investing" in the studio for the game; its not. What you are doing is buying into the game early. Some studios, such as Uber, have taken advantage of their player base with this option. I am sure Double Fine only had the best intentions, but its been known that Schafer isn't the best on the budget and planning side. Sucks to players who bought in, but that's Early Access for you. I personally wouldn't see it as a bad thing if Steam just cut off the Early Access sham right now.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I know it's not the same team, and I know the funding circumstances aren't the same, but I find it really hard to give Double Fine more of my money after the train wreck that is Spacebase. It was a great concept and they just let it die.

chroipahtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For what it's worth, I've played about 11 hours of this so far and it's great fun. Not as much content as the new XCOM, but I pretty much knew that would be the case since I've been keeping up with the teamstreams. Double Fine has several teams -- they don't all work on the same games. I like Brad Muir a lot so I took the plunge and bought it in early access, and I'm glad I did.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I backed this on kickstarter as well as Broken Age. Not playing either until they are done though. The spacebase stuff was not cool though.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

So it's been about a month now, what are you guys thinking on this one? Have there been any meaningful changes and is it worth the 30 dollar price tag? I love Brad Muir so I know I'll pick this up eventually, I just don't want to buy it now and get burned by it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.