Master Chief is NOT a Damn Cyborg.

• 50 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GioVANNI (1293 posts) -

I find it funny when people say that Master Chief is a cyborg, or even a robot  (YouTube comments are made of acid).  But he's not a cyborg, just a human.  He was just made a super soldier. 

#2 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

Master Chief is Steve Rogers in the future, calling it now.

#3 Posted by pause422 (6242 posts) -

No one cares because Master Chief is one of the dumbest video game characters to ever exist.

#4 Posted by MB (13098 posts) -
pause422 said:
"No one cares because Master Chief is one of the dumbest video game characters to ever exist."

You just invoked the wrath of a million screaming adolescent males.
#5 Posted by GioVANNI (1293 posts) -
MB said:
"pause422 said:
"No one cares because Master Chief is one of the dumbest video game characters to ever exist."

You just invoked the wrath of a million screaming adolescent males."
D:
#6 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -
MB said:
"pause422 said:

Run now before they can catch you, everyone knows Halo fans are chubby little kids :P
#7 Posted by jangofett88 (324 posts) -
pause422 said:
While I do not necessarily agree with this, I would have responded in the same manner to the original post. But since you already did, I will only elaborate on the original post.

GioVANNI said:
 "...He was just made a super soldier. "
This is true. The term I hear thrown around frequently is 'cybernetically enhanced supersoldier'.
#8 Posted by MB (13098 posts) -

To me, cyborg means a human that is part machine or at least has some cybernetic parts, like Darth Vader.  I seem to remember the Spartans did receive some implants, but I think they were biological and not mechanical.  Since he's not permanently attached to his armor, I don't think Master Chief qualifies as a cyborg.

#9 Posted by pause422 (6242 posts) -
MB said:
"pause422 said:

I feel so bad about it too.
#10 Posted by Lunarbunny (1025 posts) -
The cybernetic specimen in his natural habitat
#11 Posted by MB (13098 posts) -
#12 Posted by stucket (238 posts) -

Lol,Damn funny.

#13 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

It wouldn't make a difference if he were a cardboard cutout. He's a template. It just doesn't matter.

#14 Posted by chazer127 (213 posts) -
Meowayne said:
"It wouldn't make a difference if he were a cardboard cutout. He's a template. It just doesn't matter."

That gives me an idea....
Anyway I have friends that bite my head of for Calling the MC an Cyborg, he spends most of his time in an robotic suit so of corse people are going to call MC a cyborg, the only reason you dont see people call samus aran (metroid series) a cyborg is because you can acually see her face. halo dosnt show you MC face so you got to wonder... 
#15 Edited by PureRok (4236 posts) -

About whether he is a cyborg or not is easily decided if you use the dictionary:

Cyborg

–noun
a person whose physiological functioning is aided by or dependent upon a mechanical or electronic device.
Origin:
1960–65; cyb(ernetic) org(anism)

Ask this question: Is him surviving dependent upon a mechanical or electronic device? No? Then he's not a cyborg and you can't argue that because the dictionary never lies.
#16 Posted by Snail (8661 posts) -
Meowayne said:
"It wouldn't make a difference if he were a cardboard cutout. He's a template. It just doesn't matter."
Where the hell have you been lately?
#17 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -
MB said:
""
PWND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MB your the man, man.
#18 Posted by DragoonKain1687 (702 posts) -

I think we dont have the technology yet to know whether he is a robot or not.

#19 Posted by Bulldog19892 (1795 posts) -
MB said:
"pause422 said:

caption
#20 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
Your move, Covenant
#21 Posted by hobonis (1 posts) -

Anyone saying he isn't a cyborg must not know what a cyborg is. The Master Chief is one of the most visible symbols of the Halo series. Originally designed by Bungie artists including Marcus Lehto, Rob McLees, and Shi Kai Wang, the character is a towering and faceless cybernetically-enhanced supersoldier. meaning he is a cyborg. Master Chief, the character, is correctly presented as a cyborg, neither a flawless machine nor fully human

#22 Posted by RenMcKormack (1074 posts) -

I always thought Master Chief Was "Full Robot" if you catch my drift.

#23 Posted by Cirdain (3151 posts) -

@Lunarbunny said:

The cybernetic specimen in his natural habitat

@MB said:

Having those 2 photos one after the other is hilarious.

#24 Posted by BigChickenDinner (761 posts) -

@hobonis said:

Anyone saying he isn't a cyborg must not know what a cyborg is. The Master Chief is one of the most visible symbols of the Halo series. Originally designed by Bungie artists including Marcus Lehto, Rob McLees, and Shi Kai Wang, the character is a towering and faceless cybernetically-enhanced supersoldier. meaning he is a cyborg. Master Chief, the character, is correctly presented as a cyborg, neither a flawless machine nor fully human

#25 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -
@RenMcKormack

I always thought Master Chief Was "Full Robot" if you catch my drift.

You never to full robot.
#26 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

well he has a blank, stale robotic personality, so i can understand the mistake.

#27 Posted by Gaff (1883 posts) -
Posted 3 years, 6 months ago
#28 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Screw you guys!

#29 Posted by EXTomar (4943 posts) -

Is Master Chief a spiritual leader of a space marine tribe?

#30 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -
#31 Posted by believer258 (12186 posts) -

@PureRok said:

About whether he is a cyborg or not is easily decided if you use the dictionary:

Cyborg
–noun
a person whose physiological functioning is aided by or dependent upon a mechanical or electronic device.
Origin:
1960–65; cyb(ernetic) org(anism)
Ask this question: Is him surviving dependent upon a mechanical or electronic device? No? Then he's not a cyborg and you can't argue that because the dictionary never lies.

"The suit" itself makes Master Chief stronger, faster, and more armored than he is without it, so there. He is aided greatly by his armor and in some sequences, particularly the few times that he's out in space, he couldn't have survived without it. He also has some cybernetic implants, but then if I'm not mistaken so does every soldier in the Halo universe.

It's still worth noting that he's been enhanced... somehow. I don't think it's cybernetic, I think it was mostly fictionalized medical procedures and stuff that increased his strength, speed, reaction time, and mental capacity. Everything 'cept his jewels. His sex drive was suppressed as a side effect of all this. I kid you not, it's in the first book.

If you really want to know, all of these details are in The Fall of Reach.

#32 Posted by believer258 (12186 posts) -

@Gaff said:

Aw, shit.

#33 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

Let's bring old threads BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!

#34 Posted by Gaff (1883 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@Gaff said:

Aw, shit.

Well, this is insane.

The book (Fall of Reach) was originally released in 2001... but...

The book was adapted into a comic series entitled Halo: Fall of Reach and released in 2010. The book itself was re-released on December 7 2010 after the comic book adaptation, and contained new content as well as updating editing errors.

So this thread is older than the second printing. By at least a year.

#35 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@hobonis said:

He's more machine then human now.

#36 Posted by believer258 (12186 posts) -

@Gaff said:

@believer258 said:

@Gaff said:

Aw, shit.

Well, this is insane.

The book (Fall of Reach) was originally released in 2001... but...

The book was adapted into a comic series entitled Halo: Fall of Reach and released in 2010. The book itself was re-released on December 7 2010 after the comic book adaptation, and contained new content as well as updating editing errors.

So this thread is older than the second printing. By at least a year.

Really? I read the original print. I hate it when they do that.

"Hey, y'all, we fucked the continuity so we're just going to go back and remake the old stuff so we can unfuck it."

This is the point where a franchise takes a nosedive down the shitter.

#37 Posted by DarkShaper (1349 posts) -

My favorite part of necro posts is trying to figure out which comment was made years after the fact without looking at time stamps. Could not figure this one out.

#38 Posted by benspyda (2050 posts) -

Wow what an old post that has been raised from the dead.

He could just be a bunch of kittens operating the suit, for all we know.

#39 Posted by Landon (4164 posts) -

@hobonis said:

No one cares.

#40 Posted by DocPorpoise (116 posts) -

Master chief is not a cyborg? But still a woman, right?

#41 Posted by Nightriff (5335 posts) -

Is he like Robocop? Does he have feelings?

#42 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

I know why you cry.

#44 Posted by DeanoXD (619 posts) -

yes he is

#45 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@GenocidalKitten said:

@benspyda said:

Wow what an old post that has been raised from the dead.

He could just be a bunch of kittens operating the suit, for all we know.

Spoilers! What have you done, it makes perfect sense, it was going to be a huge reveal and you ruined it!

That is by far one of the best mental images ever.

Master Chief,. Play us out of this thread.

#46 Edited by Trylks (829 posts) -

At some point I heard the story about genetically modified soldiers, something like the clones in Star Wars, soldiers breeded to be soldiers, trained since they were born, and created to be tall, strong, etc.

Then I heard some story about kidnapping children and replacing them with clones and don't know what more. To me the true story is the first one, and that's it. I don't care about Captain America-ish super soldiers, the story about clones born to be what they are is and will always be much cooler.

#47 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

To really old OP:

Those people haven't read the books.

#48 Posted by big_jon (5783 posts) -

@MB said:

pause422 said:
You just invoked the wrath of a million screaming adolescent males.

Based on the ignorance and the dismissiveness of his comment I'd say he is one of those adolescent males.

#49 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -
#50 Posted by Culli (2 posts) -

by definition he is

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.