Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 15, 2012

The long-awaited third Max Payne game finally arrived in May 2012, courtesy of Rockstar Vancouver. Eight years after the end of Max Payne 2, an aging, burnt-out Max finds one last chance to redeem himself while working as a bodyguard for a rich family in Brazil.

All i want to know is...

tahnit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By tahnit

Is the theme song for max payne in the game, is the music max payneish and Did they fuck up the atmosphere?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

The theme song is MP2's but a bit stylized and remixed and it sounds brilliant. 
    The music is very Max Payne-ish, very fitting melodies during the firefights, cutscenes and quiet/stealth levels. Only not as bleak as the first two games, more dark indie, if that's a thing. 

The atmosphere is great, really great, but did they "fuck it up" as in not provide a similar experience to MP1 and 2? Yes, they kinda fucked it up with the cutscene spam, Kane & Lynch 2 distorted cameras, giving you partners and people on your headset to keep you talking and conversing and shouting and not letting you walk in the shadows in peace and quiet for more than 5 seconds at a time. Socializing up the game killed a good chunk of the atmosphere I expected... I wouldn't be surprised if you had a cell phone and could call your buddy Passos to invite him out to bowling.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By bwheeeler

THE SOUNDTRACK IS BY HEALTH AND THAT'S FUCKING AWESOME

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By napalm

@bwheeeler: Did Health just contribute that one song or did they score the entire thing?

@AhmadMetallic: Ehhh Passos... dooyouuuwaant to go see some Amedican teeties?

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@AhmadMetallic said:

The theme song is MP2's but a bit stylized and remixed and it sounds brilliant. The music is very Max Payne-ish, very fitting melodies during the firefights, cutscenes and quiet/stealth levels. Only not as bleak as the first two games, more dark indie, if that's a thing. The atmosphere is great, really great, but did they "fuck it up" as in not provide a similar experience to MP1 and 2? Yes, they kinda fucked it up with the cutscene spam, Kane & Lynch 2 distorted cameras, giving you partners and people on your headset to keep you talking and conversing and shouting and not letting you walk in the shadows in peace and quiet for more than 5 seconds at a time. Socializing up the game killed a good chunk of the atmosphere I expected... I wouldn't be surprised if you had a cell phone and could call your buddy Passos to invite him out to bowling.

How exactly do you know all of this?

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Quarters

@Mr_Skeleton: There's a stream going, already many chapters in.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Quarters said:

Yup, currently at the end of chapter VIII
    SuperCycle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SuperCycle

I managed to get the game Yesterday, and have been playing it since then. It is very much a Max Payne game. It's got the theme song it's got the atmosphere. I was about half way through it when the game actually froze and my save file corrupted, so I had to start a second time. Going back a second time I did notice that a large portion of the cutscenes are unskipable, but other than that I'm having a great time with it. I wouldn't be surprised if gets some extremely positive reviews.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Quarters said:

If you are interested enough in the game to watch a few hours of it's Stream, why would you ruin yourself the experience of actually playing it?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Mr_Skeleton said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Quarters said:

If you are interested enough in the game to watch a few hours of it's Stream, why would you ruin yourself the experience of actually playing it?

The reason I've watched so much is that I continued to try to find something worthy of not-spoiling, and 8 chapters in, I still haven't. It's a very shallow, broadway-meets-hollywood kind of flashy story that gets old after the first time you experience it, a lot of fail attempts to make me care about the characters to no avail. 
    I've already seen a few big spoilers and didn't really feel annoyed, wouldn't have cared about them if I experienced them myself. 
    So the story doesn't matter, sadly, it's a typical Rockstar story with the same pacing and all those "surprising" turns, topped off with hollywood-wannabe voice acting. 

The only thing that this game means to me is Max's words and the shootdodging gunfights, both of which cannot be ruined because I can't get enough of them ;)
    paulwade1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By paulwade1984

It seems to be very much rockstarified. Its like Grand Theft Max Payne with no cars and bullet time. Characters are pure rockstar. Foul mouthed comical stereotypes.

Action seems great. Very kinetic and awesome to look at with set piece after set piece. Althought Max is maybe a little too bad ass for a new york cop. He's like solid snake quick thinking awesome, but yet he's clumsy as fuck sometimes.

The endless stream of baddies is a little ridiculous. They just crawl out of the woodwork constantly. Stream i'm watching the guy has killed a thousand bad guys already. A lot of the time the action devolves into an endless stream of mobsters endlessly appearing endlessly as you gun them down from your cover point.

The game is cinematic as all hell tho. Camera wobbles and goes double vision and staticy when loading. Wierd style with key words popping up on screen in big text as max says them. I think it'll review well because it gives an awesome impression. However I think this is one of them games where 2 months down the line everyone will be trashing it on podcasts.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Napalm said:

@bwheeeler: Did Health just contribute that one song or did they score the entire thing?

Full deal.
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By fjordson

@Tahnit said:

Is the theme song for max payne in the game, is the music max payneish and Did they fuck up the atmosphere?

The soundtrack is great. Better than the first two games. It's similar to Red Dead, in that certain instruments and musical cues come into play depending on what's happening on screen. The atmosphere is different. It's dark as fuck, less goofy than MP 1 or 2.

And the new theme is fantastic. Sounds like an updated version of the second game's theme. It was up on YouTube yesterday, but it's been taken down =[

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Karl_Boss

@Napalm said:

On the front cover of the soundtrack it says "music by HEALTH" so I would assume they made a significant contribution to the soundtrack.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By fjordson

@Guided_By_Tigers said:

@Napalm said:

On the front cover of the soundtrack it says "music by HEALTH" so I would assume they made a significant contribution to the soundtrack.

Yeah, they did the whole thing. They even did the new orchestral theme.

I'll be honest, I didn't know who they were when R* first announced they were scoring the game, so I was a bit skeptical at first. But I really didn't need to be, they did a fantastic job from what I've heard.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Napalm said:

@AhmadMetallic: Ehhh Passos... dooyouuuwaant to go see some Amedican teeties?

Not now kazzin, you should be on your own talking to yourself like a real fucking max payne, hang up the goddamn phone. 

@Fjordson said:

I'll be honest, I didn't know who they were when R* first announced they were scoring the game, so I was a bit skeptical at first. But I really didn't need to be, they did a fantastic job from what I've heard.

With all due respect, I'll be honest and say that while at first I was really interested in your views on the franchise, your low resistance to hype and your sheer optimism and unjustified, scrutiny-free excitement makes you seem like an R* fanboy, dude. I'm not insulting you, I'm respectfully sharing my opinion of your perception of this game, an opinion that you by no means have to hear to respond to, and apologies in advance if you take it the wrong way and get offended by it. 
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By fjordson

@AhmadMetallic: If liking the game makes me a fanboy, I accept the criticism.

I'm not offended since none of this really surprises me. Like I said days ago in the other topic, because of the direction R* went with some people will love this, and others will be mostly disappointed. It happens.

And I'm not basing my excitement purely off of trailers or R* saying "LOOK, IT'S GOOD, WE PROMISE! CHECK IT OUT!!". This is only after I've watched a few hours of the final game and have gotten opinions from close friends who have an actual copy.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By EuanDewar

@bwheeeler said:

THE SOUNDTRACK IS BY HEALTH AND THAT'S FUCKING AWESOME

I know right? Fucking sick. All I know about the game is this piece of information and its the only thing I need.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By pr1mus

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Fjordson said:

With all due respect, I'll be honest and say that while at first I was really interested in your views on the franchise, your low resistance to hype and your sheer optimism and unjustified, scrutiny-free excitement makes you seem like an R* fanboy, dude. I'm not insulting you, I'm respectfully sharing my opinion of your perception of this game, an opinion that you by no means have to hear to respond to, and apologies in advance if you take it the wrong way and get offended by it.

It's fascinating to see someone overly depressing about the game call another overly enthusiastic. No offense to both of you btw.

The game has its own very specific (read Rockstar) style that you either love or hate in regards to its narrative, it really is nothing about being overly hyped or blind hate of the thing, its either for you or its not.

The gameplay seems very much what a Max Payne game should be like. Having an actual cover mechanic instead of just standing up behind an obstacle really doesn't change the gameplay that much.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Fjordson said:

@AhmadMetallic: If liking the game makes me a fanboy, I accept the criticism.

Well it's more your sheer unconditional love/hype for L.A. Noire last year and MP3 this year :P 

Like I said days ago in the other topic, because of the direction R* went with some people will love this, and others will be mostly disappointed. It happens.

This is far beyond a 'new direction' for a video game, it's about Rockstar's once-astounding game design getting really tired and recycled. I'm especially talking about their writing, story progression and those almost-hollywoodlike-but-not-really cutscenes and foul mouth dialogues. Seriously, they should've moved on after RDR, ESPECIALLY with a game like Max Payne, yet they played it safe and turned this into a linear bullet-time driven (or should I say cover based?) Grand Theft Auto with a darker tone and distorted cameras. 

And I'm not basing my excitement purely off of trailers or R* saying "LOOK, IT'S GOOD, WE PROMISE! CHECK IT OUT!!". This is only after I've watched a few hours of the final game and have gotten opinions from close friends who have an actual copy.

I know you've watched several hours of the game, which is exactly why I'm personally surprised by your lack of scrutiny for flaws that get as obvious as they can get just 3 chapters in.  

Hey, at the end of the day you're dead excited for this product and I'm only looking forward to it, so you win here really, I'm just saying a little realism and scrutiny to go alongside your praise adds a lot to your integrity and arguments. You don't have to have criticism, you don't have to do anything, but this game is as controversial as it gets, and I'm surprised is all.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By CL60

@Pr1mus said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Fjordson said:

It's fascinating to see someone overly depressing about the game call another overly enthusiastic. No offense to both of you btw.

The game as its own very specific (read Rockstar) style that you either love or hate in regards to its narrative, it really is nothing about being overly hyped or blind hate of the thing, its either for you or its not.

The gameplay seems very much what a Max Payne game should be like. Having an actual cover mechanic instead of just standing up behind an obstacle really doesn't change the gameplay that much.

AhmadMetallic just does this all the time, he did it for Battlefield 3 too. He complains incessantly about the new game in the franchise not being the exact same as the old ones.

No offense Ahmad, just an observation.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @CL60 said:

@Pr1mus said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Fjordson said:

The game as its own very specific (read Rockstar) style that you either love or hate in regards to its narrative, it really is nothing about being overly hyped or blind hate of the thing, its either for you or its not.

AhmadMetallic just does this all the time, he did it for Battlefield 3 too. He complains incessantly about the new game in the franchise not being the exact same as the old ones.

No offense Ahmad, just an observation.

I'm a firm believer in being an aware and opinionated video game consumer. I never did and never will fully submit to hype and "throw my money at the screen", if nobody points out developers' mistakes, shortcomings or lazy jobs, well, we're gonna be seeing a lot more Modern Warfare 3 in the market.  
    So I apologize if I sound like a whining bitch, but I believe that is a much more interesting attitude than being a total hype slave who does nothing but tell the developers their games are AWESOME. 

The Battlefield 3 experience proved to me that hype is always false and that there's always something the developers need to be called out on, and I'm proud to say I was one of the hundreds of people who indirectly forced DICE to make certain changes in the game and become self-aware and cautious with the shit they pull.
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By fjordson

@AhmadMetallic said:

I know you've watched several hours of the game, which is exactly why I'm personally surprised by your lack of scrutiny for flaws that get as obvious as they can get just 3 chapters in.

But if I don't agree with your criticisms or see the same flaws that you do, what am I supposed to say?

There have been games in the past that I did not enjoy in the least, yet they have massive fanbases and reviewed well. That's totally cool. I never spent time contemplating why they didn't see it like I did. When everyone has an opinion, sometimes they're different.

And for the hundredth time, I get that this game has Rockstar's fingerprints on it and that it is different from Remedy's vision in the first two games. I have been saying this for days. Some people are not into that. That's totally cool. But it simply doesn't bother me. What Rockstar has done is interesting to me. I don't believe I have to apologize for that.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By Vinny_Says

@Tahnit:The music is extremely good and in some cases it really enhances the atmosphere, definitely a Rockstar level of goodness in terms of music; do not worry. As for the rest you'll have to try it for yourself, but I'm definitely enjoying it so far :)

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MikeGosot
    @AhmadMetallic: So, you will still get the game?
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Fjordson: Yes I absolutely agree, sorry if I got carried away, I totally respect your opinion and all, I guess I just expected more and more from R*, and I shouldn't have. 

@MikeGosot: I... think so. I dunno anymore man :/ I mean I have seen the first 10 chapters and its all one recycled Rockstar play, so I really doubt the shootdodge combat goodness alone is worth 60$.
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By fjordson

@AhmadMetallic: No hard feelings.

And any shortcomings you see or reservations you have about the game are just as valid as any of my excitement. If I have come on too strong on these boards with my excitement, then I apologize.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By pr1mus

@AhmadMetallic: I don't know man, i've been a QA tester for 4 years and even i can still let go and enjoy a game with it's flaws. Or is it the other way around and is because i've been in QA for years that i know how pointless and unrealistic it is to point out every last details? In any case you seem way more jaded than i am, and i'm pretty jaded, way more than Jeff himself!

But really most of your complains i've seen aren't about production values and polish but rather about their artistic direction and specific style for the narrative. By all means people should be pointing at bugs and other broken mechanics (like the retarded flashlights more powerful than the goddamn sun in BF3) but in most cases you are talking to a wall if you are asking for a different delivery of the story and rightly so i might add. Their story, their style, their delivery.

As for me, it's a style i like and delivery i like and the rest of the game appears solid from a technical point of view. That does not make me or like minded people blindly enthusiastic about the game.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MikeGosot
    @AhmadMetallic: I felt the same thing with Red Dead, man. It was one of my favorite games, i watched the very first teaser, when there was only a shadow of a man in a ghost town, and then, well... Redemption was a pretty good game, but it wasn't a pretty good sequel.
    I feel the same thing will happen with Max Payne 3. If i was you, why would wait until a price drop. You can live without Max Payne 3 for a while, but i think it deserves a spot in the collection of a fan.
    andrew2696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By andrew2696

@SuperCycle: Aren't the cutscenes when the game is loading? From what I read there are no loading screens it just jumps in from cutscene.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Pr1mus said:

@AhmadMetallic: I don't know man, i've been a QA tester for 4 years and even i can still let go and enjoy a game with it's flaws.

Postal 2 is one of my all time favorite games, so I assure you I can totally enjoy a flawed game. 

The things I criticize are not technical (though it's unfortunate and sometimes lazy when a game is released with bugs or bad mechanics, the circumstances vary from one game to another and each case gets its deserved amount of complaints or indifference).  
    What I scrutinize are the things that:  
    • The developer promises to deliver but fails to  
    • Games that take advantage of the movie/literature lover in us and half-ass the interactive department in favor of "story." Or simply a lazy developer that tries to get away with their lack of creativity. (Mass Effect 3)
    • The things developers are SUPPOSED to implement or certain level designs that must be used or built upon (mostly for sequels) and they don't do it. (Battlefield 3, Crysis 2).
    In MP3's case, it's a combination of the following:  
    **Missing the opportunity of creating a groundbreaking gunfight hybrid of the run-and-gun, open-level gunfights of the games this game is supposed to be a sequel to, where you ran through rooms and hallways popping fools skillfully, and between the cover-based "stationary enemies popping up" combat of contemporary games.  
    >Thankfully in the second act they achieved that, hours into the game though. 
    **Playing the narrative/cinematics safe by creating the IMO now-overused narrative of their previous 4 games rather than, once again, building upon the first two games' unique narrative while adding their own touch  
    **Once again, for the entirety of the first act, featuring a character that has nothing in common with the old Max than popping pills. Beginning of act 2 had a shocking return to his older personality, so I'm kinda satisfied there as well.
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#32  Edited By musubi
    @andrew2696 Yep and that's awesome when games do that. Actually died more than a few times in Uncharted 3 because I had no idea that the cut scene was over. To me that's pretty cool. Loved how they did that in MGS4 too.
    SuperCycle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SuperCycle

@andrew2696: Your right, all the cutscenes are when they are loading, and other than when the game starts or resets I haven't encountered a single load screen. It is pretty awesome. I'm finally back to the chapter I was at when I had to reset, and I've started encountering a lot of bugs, The cutscenes are actually dropping off and becoming blurry, the sound gets distorted, characters freeze in place, and max fell through the level one time. This might be a loading problem because it all seemed to start with cutscenes. I'm hoping that my ps3 just needs a rest because I've been running the game all day, but I suspect there is going to be a day one patch for the ps3 version at least.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.