Buy the game. Doesnt work. Crack the game. It does?! WTF?

• 66 results
#51 Posted by ds8k (412 posts) -

Most cutscenes in the game are prerendered video. On occasion it'll switch to in-game, which is noticeable due to the bump in frame rate.

I've got the game on Steam and have minimal issues. One crash and a few minor glitches. Changing a few settings alleviated most mouse issues I had, but even with default settings the game was entirely playable. I just finished it today, on Hard difficulty, clocking in around 11 hours. Unfortunate that others are having issues. I must be lucky because my Steam copy of L.A. Noire ran without a single problem as well.

#52 Posted by Robot_Moses (110 posts) -

@Funzzo: They often can, but it was not the case with L.A. Noire

#53 Edited by MonetaryDread (2016 posts) -
@TooWalrus said:

@AlexW00d said:

@Dagbiker said:

Im not going to say its your fault for buying a Rockstar PC port, but thats what happens when you buy a Rockstar PC port.

The rest of the game is optimised as fuck. It's something to do with the shitty Rockstar community stuff that does it.

Yeah, I downloaded the Steam version, haven't had a problem yet- so far it seems pretty solid, and looks great.

same here

@MikkaQ

said:

Not to put ALL the blame on the consumer but yeah, should have expected that with a Rockstar PC port, also you bought a PC game at retail, both of those things are very, very wrong.

I just wish they didn't suck so bad at PC ports. Vice City and San Andreas weren't awful.

How do they suck at PC ports?  The only one that sucked was GTA 4, and even then it really didn't suck, their engine just works differently than most others.  To explain what I mean, their engine is mostly CPU dependent, as opposed to GPU dependent like most other titles (The Total War series is the only other game engine that I can think of that is mostly CPU dependent), so any quad core released after the q6600 and the game runs at 1080p with 30fps Actually, to think of it, was the game even a shitty port? Compared to the console versions that run at 620p with the equivalent of every pc setting at low while still struggling to hit 30fps, the pc version runs like melted butter.  
Other than GTA 4 though what other crappy ports have they released?  GTA 3 / Vice City / San Andreas were great ports, Manhunt was a great port, Bully wasn't perfect but it was the best version of the game by far, LA Noire runs flawlessly, and now there is Max Payne 3 (the best console port I have ever played on my PC).
#54 Posted by OneManX (1686 posts) -

Results May Very.

That is really the only thing I can say. Max Payne 3 runs great on my friend's rig, but it was the Steam version.

#55 Posted by harinosho (594 posts) -

Just so I can update you guys, now im currently sitting with blue screen of death errors coming up at random. Man. have I ever mentioned how much I love Computers.. So awesome.

#56 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@harinosho said:

Just so I can update you guys, now im currently sitting with blue screen of death errors coming up at random. Man. have I ever mentioned how much I love Computers.. So awesome.

There might be something messed up with your RAM. Run Memtest for an hour or so and see if it comes up with any errors.

#57 Posted by harinosho (594 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

Not to put ALL the blame on the consumer but yeah, should have expected that with a Rockstar PC port, also you bought a PC game at retail, both of those things are very, very wrong.

I just wish they didn't suck so bad at PC ports. Vice City and San Andreas weren't awful.

Only reading this now, but why is it wrong to buy retail? On steam the game costs $69.99 (in my country that's roughly 600 ZAR) where I can order the game online and have it delivered to my door on release for $29 (300+ ZAR). That is a major price difference and I don't have to spend days downloading the game.

#58 Posted by harinosho (594 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@harinosho said:

There might be something messed up with your RAM. Run Memtest for an hour or so and see if it comes up with any errors.

Ran the test till it said 103% no errors (not sure if thats good or not).. but i uninstalled max payne to test, no problems so far..

#59 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@harinosho said:

Ran the test till it said 103% no errors (not sure if thats good or not).. but i uninstalled max payne to test, no problems so far..

That rules out a potential huge pain in the ass (not to say the BSOD isn't a pain in the ass). Maybe check this thread out for a solution: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2729965

Good luck, duder :)

#60 Posted by MikkaQ (10283 posts) -

@harinosho said:

@MikkaQ said:

Only reading this now, but why is it wrong to buy retail? On steam the game costs $69.99 (in my country that's roughly 600 ZAR) where I can order the game online and have it delivered to my door on release for $29 (300+ ZAR). That is a major price difference and I don't have to spend days downloading the game.

Because four disks! That's craaazy. I could also probably download and install the game from Steam faster than I can go to the game store and install four disks.

Also I've never had a problem with a Steam game, so they just have a good track record for me. They're reliable and I've bought so many games at such steep discounts that it more the justifies the cost for me.

#61 Posted by tourgen (4472 posts) -
@harinosho

I would guess video driver or bad memory

You have an ati vid card?
#62 Posted by harinosho (594 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

@harinosho said:

@MikkaQ said:

Because four disks! That's craaazy. I could also probably download and install the game from Steam faster than I can go to the game store and install four disks.

Also I've never had a problem with a Steam game, so they just have a good track record for me. They're reliable and I've bought so many games at such steep discounts that it more the justifies the cost for me.

Yeah I know, four disks is insane. took me some time to install, but it would have taken me way longer to download off steam, I buy a lot of games on Steam, as you said, the discounts are worth it, but most retail games are far cheaper to get on disk and 35gigs is too much for me to have the patience to download.

@tourgen said:

@harinosho

I would guess video driver or bad memory You have an ati vid card?

Nvidea gtx 560 ti

going to try that out tomorrow, right now just enjoying the non blue screen. Thanks.

#63 Edited by zaglis (909 posts) -

Fuck me. So thats why the mouse controls ARE so shit. 

Because people that have no clue what precise mouse controls are made the port.

@Vodun
I ''demoed'' it out, like any sane person would do before purchasing a PC game.

#64 Posted by harinosho (594 posts) -

@Ravenlight: reinstalled and followed the steps in the link. works. AWESOME!! I owe you a beer man!

#65 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@harinosho said:

@Ravenlight: reinstalled and followed the steps in the link. works. AWESOME!! I owe you a beer man!

I'm glad this thread had a happy ending! Enjoy that slo-mo!

#66 Posted by Subbeh (90 posts) -

The patch has done the trick for me and I'm finally able to play. Wooooohooooooo!!!!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.