Fav Max Payne quotes? (spoilers for 1&2)

#1 Posted by ShalashaskaUK666 (531 posts) -

Gearing up for the new game coming out, thought we might as well have a reminisce on just how ABSOLUTELY badass some of the previous Payne dialogue has been!!

I loved near the end of 2 when Vlad is about to shoot Max, and he says "Einstein was right. Time is relative to the observer. When you're looking down the barrel of a gun, time slows down. Your whole life flashes by, heartbreak and scars. Stay with it, and you could live a lifetime in that split second". Just BRILLIANT.

Anyone else have any favourite Payne quotes, or overheard goon dialogue?

#2 Posted by theillusiveman0 (85 posts) -

Cant remember when but in Max Payne 2 these were some of my favorites:

“The past is a gaping hole, your only chance is to turn around and face it. But is like kissing the lips of your dead love, darkness waiting in the hole of her mouth. We are willing to suffer, to die for the things we care about. For love, for the right choices. Because of her, I had solved the case, my case, all of it. Who I am. She was dead, but the bullet in her head had come to the end of its slow-motion journey. It is almost morning, waking up from the American dream now like all my loves, she is mine forever. She has brought me here, to this moment of clarity, where time slows down, and I choose to look back, to see myself and in that act of seeing I am reborn. ”

"The past is a puzzle, like a broken mirror. As you piece it together, you cut yourself, your image keeps shifting. And you change with it. It could destroy you, drive you mad. It could set you free."

#3 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5036 posts) -

"Max, dearest of all my friends."

"Have no fear, Vlad is here."

#4 Posted by Nicked (253 posts) -

It's not Max himself, but "In a hall of mirrors, built by liars, I am a pale reflection of myself" from Address Unknown has always stuck in my head for some reason.

#5 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
MP1: 
"Out in the night, snow fell like confetti over the devil's parade. The storm was anything but over." 
"Valkyre had been meant to be a white-winged maiden that would lift you to a warriors' heaven, but it had turned out to be a one-way demon ride to hell. The devil was in the drug. I knew, I had met him."   
"And now I was going to kill her. The queen of the underworld who had tried to lift herself a bit closer to heaven with her drug money." 

MP2: 
Mona asks "What are you so afraid of, Max? What do you want from me?" 
"The things I want, by Max Payne:"  
"A smoke. A whiskey. For the sun to shine. I want to sleep, to forget. To change the past. My wife and baby girl back. Unlimited ammo and a license to kill."   
"But right then, more than anything, I wanted her." 

And then you have.... Max Payne 3 quotes.. 

Yikes.
#6 Posted by Eladren (106 posts) -

"Vlad was right. There are no choices. Nothing but a straight line. The illusion comes afterwards, when you ask 'Why me?' and 'What if?'. When you look back and see the branches, like a pruned bonsai tree, or forked lightning. If you had done something differently, it wouldn't be you. It would be someone else looking back, asking a different set of questions"

#7 Posted by Demoskinos (15007 posts) -

I got a new favorite from this one ‎"I had killed more cops than cholesterol "

#8 Posted by light_grenade (124 posts) -

"The Brooklyn riverfront was a maze of rusty containers, sharp-boned cranes looking up from the snowstorm. On a night like this you couldn't help but think of the dark army of dead men, sleeping with the fishes, cement shoes in line. No Minotaur lurked in this labyrinth, but somewhere out there, on the clanking deck of his cargo freighter, the skipper of the Charon was waiting, like the ferryman of the river Styx."

From this one "I now had a hole in my second favourite drinking arm"

#9 Posted by OldManLight (872 posts) -

"Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!"

#10 Edited by whyareyoucrouchingspock (975 posts) -

"I had a dream of my wife. She was dead. But it was all right"

#11 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@OldManLight said:

"Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!"

You are followed good sir, you are followed.
#12 Posted by ssj4raditz (1125 posts) -

From MP3, "I had a hole in my second favorite drinking arm."

#13 Posted by MikeFightNight (1114 posts) -

Pills to help to ease the pain. My brother and I will always remember that one from the start of the first game.

#14 Posted by Knetic2341 (243 posts) -

I love in 3, "Sure, trouble finds us the same way you found me, slumped in bar, drunk on self pity." Especially with the music following it. Beautiful scene.

#15 Posted by Reznov (41 posts) -

the flesh of fallen angels

#16 Posted by Demoskinos (15007 posts) -

Guys. I just found out that there is a "Old School" Max Payne costume you can wear when playing arcade mode. He is wearing original MP 1 attire and has the constipated looking face. Its fucking fantastic

#17 Posted by Skyfire543 (707 posts) -

shE haS dieD heR haiR reD

@whyareyoucrouchingspock said:

"I had a dream of my wife. She was dead. But it was all right"

This, and: "IT'S PAYNE! GET HIM! DIE DIE DIE!"

#18 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3501 posts) -

"The genius of the hole: No matter how much time you spend climbing out, you can still fall back down in an instant."

"There are no choices. Nothing but a straight line. The illusion comes afterwards, when you ask 'Why me?' and 'What if?'. When you look back and see the branches, like a pruned bonsai tree, or forked lightning. If you had done something differently, it wouldn't be you. It would be someone else looking back, asking a different set of questions."

"The past is a puzzle, like a broken mirror. As you piece it together, you cut yourself, your image keeps shifting. And you change with it. It could destroy you, drive you mad. It could set you free."

"When entertainment turns into a surreal reflection of your life, you're a lucky man if you can laugh at the joke. Luck and I weren't on speaking terms."

"Your past has a way of sneaking up on you. You'll hear broken echoes of it everywhere, like a bad replay. You'll get mad at everyone for reminding you about it, even if it's all in your head."

"Death is inevitable. Our fear of it makes us play safe, blocks out emotion. It's a losing game. Without passion you are already dead."

"The past is a gaping hole. You try to run from it, but the more you run, the deeper it grows behind you, its edges yawning at your heels. Your only chance is to turn around and face it. But it's like looking down into the grave of your love, or kissing the mouth of a gun, a bullet trembling in its dark nest, ready to blow your head off."

"The trouble with wanting something is the fear of losing it, or never getting it. The thought makes you weak."

"Hypothetically, if the only choice you've got is to do the wrong thing, then it's not really the *wrong* thing, is it? It's more like fate."

I think the last one is from Vlad, the rest being Max.

#19 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3108 posts) -

"After Y2K, the end of the world had become a cliché. But who was I to talk, a brooding underdog avenger alone against an empire of evil out to right a grave injustice. Everything was subjective. There were only personal apocalypses. Nothing is a cliché when it's happening to you."

"You piece together a jigsaw and the final picture is you finishing that same puzzle, a mad green-eyed killer standing behind you. An urban legend come true."

"Fraternizing with the enemy. I had stepped over the edge. The cartoon moment when the gravity waits for the coyote to realize his mistake before the plunge."

From a Television program: "The rain was comin' down like all the angels in heaven decided to take a piss at the same time. When you're in a situation like mine, you can only think in metaphors."

I'm not sure I can think of a more quotable game.

#20 Posted by bonafide (35 posts) -

"He was trying to buy more sand for his hour glass. I wasn't selling any."

#21 Posted by Loyal_Dragoon (118 posts) -

From the orirginal Max Payne: "There was no glory in this. I hadn't asked for this crap. Trouble had come to me, in big dark swarms. The good and the just, they were like gold dust in this city. I had no illusions. I was not one of them. I was no hero. Just me and the gun, and the crook. My options had decreased to a singular course."

And from Max Payne 2: "When entertainment turns into a surreal reflection of your life, you're a lucky man if you can laugh at the joke. Luck and I weren't on speaking terms."

#22 Posted by Seroth (722 posts) -

"Bang. You're dead Max Payne" from Vlad has stuck with me since the beginning for some reason.

#23 Edited by Vextroid (1415 posts) -

I forgot how it starts but the one in Max Payne 2 where you are in Vlad's bar, after clearing a certain room it ends with "...Logic was such a liar."

Found it: "Winterson would have found a way to do this nice, neat and clean. Logic told me backup should be on its way. Somebody must have heard the gunfire. Logic was such a liar."

and in Max Payne 1, Vinnie Gognitti says in one scene "Payne?! Freakin' fed. I knew from day one, there was somethin; screwy 'bout you!"

It's the way he said it that just makes me laugh.

#24 Posted by TheHT (11496 posts) -

all of it man. all of it.

#25 Posted by isomeri (1314 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

MP2:
Mona asks "What are you so afraid of, Max? What do you want from me?"
"The things I want, by Max Payne:"
"A smoke. A whiskey. For the sun to shine. I want to sleep, to forget. To change the past. My wife and baby girl back. Unlimited ammo and a license to kill."
"But right then, more than anything, I wanted her."

I'm not sure if this is my favorite, but it's definitely one of the best.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.