First 20 Minutes of Max Payne 3 (footage)

• 127 results
#1 Edited by SASnake (311 posts) -
#2 Posted by Village_Guy (2494 posts) -

I'm not watching it, but I will say that I don't think you should worry about it being pulled down, Gameanyone often have full playthroughs of many big budget games up to a couple of weeks before release, and I don't think I have ever seen a video taken down or removed.

#3 Posted by AiurFlux (901 posts) -

That's my face right now. I REALLY want to watch it, but I also know I shouldn't. It's actually kind of annoying. Fuck you and your temptations.

#4 Posted by Baillie (4039 posts) -

Just watched it, it looks great. The voice-overs during gameplay really reminds me of Bastion.

#5 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1693 posts) -

I could not resist. Watched most of it, and I love what I see. The only complaints I have are the constant annoying video effects during the cutscenes and the lack of comic panels. The gameplay looks sublime, however.

#6 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1328 posts) -

Wow that looks fucking awesome. I never played the old games, do they still hold up if I wanted to give them a try?

#7 Edited by SASnake (311 posts) -

@OneKillWonder_ said:

I could not resist. Watched most of it, and I love what I see. The only complaints I have are the constant annoying video effects during the cutscenes and the lack of comic panels. The gameplay looks sublime, however.

There is some slight comic panels, but they are in the ingame engine, also the video effects are used to portray Max's mind and mood, I personally like it. I also noticed that shoot dodging uses up the bullet time meter, which wasent the case in the first 2. Guess its to stop from spamming.

#8 Posted by Kazona (3059 posts) -

I am so buying this!

#9 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3186 posts) -

That footage was so fucking noir that my imagination blew up.

#10 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

I had to watch this and it looks fantastic. I really want to play it, so as soon as I'm done with school I'm buying it.

#11 Posted by Zacagawea (1582 posts) -

Looks good. Watched 3 minutes of gameplay, don't really need or want to see more.

#12 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1693 posts) -

@SASnake said:

@OneKillWonder_ said:

There is some slight comic panels, but they are in the ingame engine, also the video effects are used to portray Max's mind and mood, I personally like it.

Yeah, but it just isn't the same. I also don't mind the effects themselves, as long as they aren't prevalent for the entire game.

@SirPsychoSexy said:

Wow that looks fucking awesome. I never played the old games, do they still hold up if I wanted to give them a try?

I've been replaying the PC versions of the originals in preparation, and I can definitively say that the second game holds up extremely well. The slight changes made to the combat and movement make a world of difference, and shooting dudes is still incredibly satisfying. Having only previously played the PS2 version and replaying this on the PC, it feels like I'm playing it for the first time. The PS2 version is utter shit in comparison. I just remember the framerate being abysmal and holding back the quality of the action. The first game is still great but does not hold up nearly as well. Playing it for the first time in many years, I found it to be a lot more difficult than I remember, but mostly due to cheapness on the AI's part. I would still recommend playing them both as they're still pretty fantastic.

#13 Posted by jerseyscum (862 posts) -

The gunfights look downright vicious. I was worried a bit about the cover system, but these dudes look they are going flank or rush you out of cover.

Rockstar's getting much better at the whole pointing the gun and firing part of their games. The controls look good. Really good.

That's a lot of boozing and drugging going on. Yikes.

#14 Posted by Landon (4130 posts) -

Fuck those idiots who said Max Payne was dead, this looks amazing.

#15 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I have half a mind to sell my Xbox and two games I have for it to buy this game...

I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO WAIT.

#16 Edited by Redsox44 (481 posts) -

@SirPsychoSexy: I've been playing through the first one now for the first time and it's still pretty amazing, the shooting feels great and still looks really nice on PC. But man Max Payne 3 looks amazing with the euphoria physics and updated graphics. I wish I had the money to get it day 1.

#17 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
#18 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I'm so glad I don't have class on Tuesday.

#19 Posted by Redsox44 (481 posts) -

I like how he holds the shotgun in his other hand while he uses the pistol instead of it magically disappearing and reappearing.

#20 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@PeasantAbuse

Lucky you, I work a 12 hour shift on Tuesday, and another 12 hour shift on Wednesday.
#21 Posted by Yummylee (21255 posts) -

I'm not going to watch it. Hell, I don't need to; the comments alone are supplying me with plenty O' hype!

#22 Posted by Aegon (5403 posts) -

Looks really good. A nice looking and well put together story-driven game, with a bunch of original touches. My fave. 

#23 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4578 posts) -

Looks cool, gives the impression Rockstar's finally got a working combat system. Laying it on a bit heavy with the narration, but they've never exactly been well known for subtlety. I think my favorite part is how he still carries the carbine even when the player's switched to the pistol. Not a big deal, but a nice touch nonetheless.

#24 Posted by jerseyscum (862 posts) -

"Nothing like a view of extreme poverty to make a cocktail party really swing"

"Guess that's what a European education and a coke habit will do for a Ricky Martin lookalike"

"Trashy magazines and pretty trashy people. I just hoped I could keep them out of the crime section"

So I guess I'd become what they wanted me to be, a killer. Some rent a clown with a gun that put holes in other bad guys."- Max Payne.

#25 Posted by aintnoscrub (3 posts) -

@Redsox44: you're absolutely right, when your equipping the shotty he can't dual wield pistols obviously and if you choose to dual wield, instead of magically putting the shotty somewhere hidden on his body like in most games he actually has to drop it.

#26 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

That looked pretty amazing. The gun fights and shooting looks really physical and the way he holds the bigger guns in one hand is a very nice touch. The narration and story seems very Max Payne. Can't wait to play it.

#27 Edited by Octaslash (487 posts) -

Those cinematic kill cams looked sick, in multiple ways.

#28 Posted by aintnoscrub (3 posts) -
@Octaslash: the best part is when your given the option of bullet cam, and you can focus just on the bullet then on the body and fire multiple shots into the body...its awesome
#29 Posted by Quarters (1631 posts) -

Ehhhh...this didn't sate my nerves much. I can't STAND the constant video effects on some of the cutscenes. Obnoxious as a mother. Also, not digging jerk-off Max. Now he's just sarcastic and pathetic, and doesn't even seem like much of the anti-hero as he was before. Now he just seems like another Rockstar A-hole. His monologues for the most part lack the elegance of before, and are just cheap pop culture references and brutish/crass thinking. Just doesn't sound like the old Max. Voice acting and graphics are good though. Sure the gameplay will be great. It's just the story and presentation I'm immensely concerned about.

#30 Posted by jerseyscum (862 posts) -

Not many studios have the chops to take on a deadly serious issue like addiction without coming off as corny. I half expected Max to stick a gun in his mouth during the opening sequence Martin Riggs style.

#31 Posted by Redsox44 (481 posts) -

@aintnoscrub: That's pretty awesome.These little things really impress me nowadays, in The Witcher 2 the fact that you actually sheathe your two swords over your back and it's strapped to you naturally intstead of a naked sword levitating behind my back when I was playing Dragon Age. I love these kind of details in games.

#32 Posted by bybeach (4725 posts) -

Not watching this, I'm having to wait for the PC version as it is.

I am really starting to anticipate a game, I have not done that for a good long while.

#33 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

The intro is so good.

I've seen like the first hour and a half from a few live streams yesterday and fuck me, it was all amazing.

The way R* seamlessly transitions between cutscenes and gameplay gives it such a perfect pace. No loading screens, no awkward fade to blacks, nothing like that. Works great.

Also saw a throwback to the first two games that people are going to LOVE. Won't spoil it here, but...yeah. Think R* have outdone themselves here.

#34 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Quarters said:

not digging jerk-off Max. Now he's just sarcastic and pathetic, and doesn't even seem like much of the anti-hero as he was before. Now he just seems like another Rockstar A-hole. His monologues for the most part lack the elegance of before, and are just cheap pop culture references and brutish/crass thinking. 

Sadly I agree with this. I'm trying to keep in mind that this is Max after 9 years of the ending of MP2, I'm trying to adjust to the changes a man goes through over so many years and how it kinda makes sense that since he no longer has loved ones or a crusade to pursue, it makes since for him to become a bit of a sarcastic dick, but I still can't stomach some of his monologues.. 
I really hope this is only because it's the beginning, and that when his 'adventure' begins he'll pipe down a little bit and get in the vengeful anti-hero mindset we've all grown to love about him. 

And by the way, didn't anyone else think that the shooting felt a bit too heavy for a Max Payne game? I mean, you can't combine "realistic" body physics and weight/gun weight to a game that is ABOUT being an over-the-top hong kong movie thrill ride, that just doesn't make sense. 
It's as if Saints Row 3 had realistic physics and weapon ballistics while trying to deliver the insane action, it's just wrong!
#35 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
#36 Edited by squirrelnacho (329 posts) -

@Quarters said:

Ehhhh...this didn't sate my nerves much. I can't STAND the constant video effects on some of the cutscenes. Obnoxious as a mother. Also, not digging jerk-off Max. Now he's just sarcastic and pathetic, and doesn't even seem like much of the anti-hero as he was before. Now he just seems like another Rockstar A-hole. His monologues for the most part lack the elegance of before, and are just cheap pop culture references and brutish/crass thinking. Just doesn't sound like the old Max. Voice acting and graphics are good though. Sure the gameplay will be great. It's just the story and presentation I'm immensely concerned about.

Yeah the wierd jerky cam digital video effects do not fit with this at all. And Max's writing does not seem as good as it was from the first two games. The entire premise of the story just seems completely wrong for a Max Payne game. The whole presentation is off, but the younger audience who hasn't played the first games will just think: BADASS SHOOTING GUNS WITH SLO-MO AWESOME.

The gameplay looks pretty good though.

#37 Edited by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Quarters said:

not digging jerk-off Max. Now he's just sarcastic and pathetic, and doesn't even seem like much of the anti-hero as he was before. Now he just seems like another Rockstar A-hole. His monologues for the most part lack the elegance of before, and are just cheap pop culture references and brutish/crass thinking.

Sadly I agree with this. I'm trying to keep in mind that this is Max after 9 years of the ending of MP2, I'm trying to adjust to the changes a man goes through over so many years and how it kinda makes sense that since he no longer has loved ones or a crusade to pursue, it makes since for him to become a bit of a sarcastic dick, but I still can't stomach some of his monologues..
I really hope this is only because it's the beginning, and that when his 'adventure' begins he'll pipe down a little bit and get in the vengeful anti-hero mindset we've all grown to love about him.

I'm afraid you guys are in for some disappointment. Nothing I've seen from the game (including a chapter and a half from later in the game) goes back to the style of the first two games. It's more serious, and digs way deeper into Max as a character. Not much cheese or parody to be found here.

Which I think is fantastic. The tone fits Max's current situation and the story so perfectly. It's just that anyone who was hoping for a recreation of Max's character from the first two games might want to just check out Diablo III or something next week instead.

Edit: Not saying you guys are wrong for having such an opinion. Different strokes and all that. Just trying to save you some heartache. Obviously I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

#38 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

I don't want to watch this. Not one bit, the period from 15th May - 1st June where I can't play this game and it's getting a ton of praise and everyone won't stop talking about it is going to be hard enough. I can't start that misery early. SCREW you, delayed PC release. SCREW you, americans getting it earlier.

#39 Posted by MatthewFord (7 posts) -

I feel bad for max, he should really use other drugs to deal with the pain of his existence.

#40 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Fjordson said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Quarters said:

I'm afraid you guys are in for some disappointment. Nothing I've seen from the game (including a chapter and a half from later in the game) goes back to the style of the first two games. It's more serious, and digs way deeper into Max as a character. Not much cheese or parody to be found here.

Which I think is fantastic. The tone fits Max's current situation and the story so perfectly. It's just that anyone who was hoping for a recreation of Max's character from the first two games might want to just check out Diablo III or something next week instead.

No I'm totally on board man, but Quarters does have a point, in just 10-15 minutes of gameplay in that video he made way too many sarcastic jerk-off remarks, I'm interested in your opinion on this.
#41 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Quarters said:

And by the way, didn't anyone else think that the shooting felt a bit too heavy for a Max Payne game? I mean, you can't combine "realistic" body physics and weight/gun weight to a game that is ABOUT being an over-the-top hong kong movie thrill ride, that just doesn't make sense.
It's as if Saints Row 3 had realistic physics and weapon ballistics while trying to deliver the insane action, it's just wrong!

I think the shooting looks great. I think all the animation stuff, and the physics look really gritty and visceral and thats a good logical step for them to take. It still looks to be really fun, a lot of bullet dodging and such just like the other MP games but brought up to speed with modern tech.

#42 Posted by Vinny_Says (5686 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@PeasantAbuse

Lucky you, I work a 12 hour shift on Tuesday, and another 12 hour shift on Wednesday.

Bunch of suckas....I got tuesday and wednesday off, I think my boss knows....

#43 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@emergency said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Quarters said:

I think the shooting looks great. I think all the animation stuff, and the physics look really gritty and visceral and thats a good logical step for them to take. It still looks to be really fun, a lot of bullet dodging and such just like the other MP games but brought up to speed with modern tech.

In the trailers which are quick montages of shootouts, yes, but in the uncut 19 minute video in this thread, which you don't wanna watch ;p, it isn't.
#44 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Fjordson said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Quarters said:

No I'm totally on board man, but Quarters does have a point, in just 10-15 minutes of gameplay in that video he made way too many sarcastic jerk-off remarks, I'm interested in your opinion on this.

Well, the sarcastic stuff does die off a bit for story reasons, but I didn't have a problem with it. Max simply doesn't care much for that wealthy crowd. They live in a bubble, literally lording over the poor people of the city (which Max comments on with the massive favela being viewable from the balcony) and they sort of disgust Max at first.

But even after that, it still isn't the same. This isn't as melodramatic and isn't much of a parody. It's a straight up character study. I'm finding it to be fascinating so far because it successfully puts you inside Max's psyche and there's a lot more character development than the first two games. You get to witness personal changes and growth in Max (and other characters) that you didn't before.

But that's just my opinion. I get some people won't be into that as much as the first two and that's cool.

Though one thing it does share with the first two games is the occasional moment of humour from things around Max. Not going to spoil anything, but there are some great callbacks to MP 1 and 2 for older fans.

#45 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@emergency said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Quarters said:

In the trailers which are quick montages of shootouts, yes, but in the uncut 19 minute video in this thread, which you don't wanna watch ;p, it isn't.

It isn't what? Fun? Gritty? My hype meter is already pretty high from all those voice overed trailers.

#46 Posted by jerseyscum (862 posts) -

@Quarters said:

Elegance? I loved the first two games, but the dialogue was just hammy.

#47 Edited by squirrelnacho (329 posts) -

@Fjordson said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Quarters said:

Edit: Not saying you guys are wrong for having such an opinion. Different strokes and all that. Just trying to save you some heartache. Obviously I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

This definitely isn't more serious, not when you have comic relief characters and an overall b-grade action movie plot. The fact that there is more "character development" is simply due to the fact that modern games require more voicework. It's the premise and character they are creating that is the issue. They've turned him into a thugish character like the other characters from the publisher who's making this game. Rockstar characters aren't bad by default, their games are mostly great. But Max Payne requires a different sort of style to not come off as completely rediculous. The writing and attempts at cynicism fall pretty flat. He goes to be a private employee for people he knows he's going to dislike already because he wanted to escape his old life? If he wanted to escape his old life, he wouldn't have chosen something so dangerous already.

Good gameplay, but not good writing and a style that doesn't fit and is a step down from the old games. It will work for people amused by video filter effects though.

Not saying you are wrong either, just wanted to clarify some opinions.

#48 Posted by altairre (1127 posts) -

Alright, alright, I'll buy it. Didn't watch the footage though because watching those R* intros is always something special and I want to experience it while my own copy of the game is spinning in my PS3. Have to say that I wasn't a fan of R* at first (since I don't like the GTA games at all) but then there was RDR and L.A. Noire and I loved those games, especially RDR. Now from what I've seen of MP3 I totally dig the way they characterize Max and am eager to see how he will develop over the course of his journey. I also think it's crazy how well the second MP plays after all this time. Nobody was able to do stylish shootouts as good as MP2 even until today. Here is me hoping that the third one will...

#49 Posted by Quarters (1631 posts) -

@jerseyscum said:

@Quarters said:

Elegance? I loved the first two games, but the dialogue was just hammy.

Well, I didn't so much mean it was perfectly written, it was just...literary. Over-wordy. Metaphor heavy. It was hammy, but it was also Max Payne. I feel like all the people super excited about this new gritty direction are just excited that this isn't really much of old Max Payne anymore, outside of Noir and John Woo antics. MP had a unique feel, one you still don't see in many games. This just feels like all of Rockstar's other games, or Kane and Lynch. Just a gritty crime drama. That in and of itself is becoming cliche now. I understand why people are digging on this so much, I just...I don't know if I can get into it or not. I feel like the series I loved is totally dying to become something that I just do not want. And it isn't so much that MP1 and MP2 are parodies(especially not MP2, which is pretty dark in comparison to MP1), it's just that they aren't completely hopeless. Max is still a good guy. There are still small victories to be had. It felt like it was worth it to keep going on. Now, it just seems like it's hitting you with a "life sucks and then you die" motif, which feels contrary to the other games. Again, extremely consistent with Rockstar, just not with MP.

Also, what you said. Even accounting for time, this development just feels super-awkward and forced for Max after the end of MP2.

Just curious what the third act twist will be in this. Max dies at end? Gets on death row? Commits suicide? Should be fun.

#50 Posted by allworkandlowpay (874 posts) -

@Fjordson said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Quarters said:

Which I think is fantastic. The tone fits Max's current situation and the story so perfectly. It's just that anyone who was hoping for a recreation of Max's character from the first two games might want to just check out Diablo III or something next week instead.\

Has Max Payne ever not been a fairly serious noire action tale with just hints of humor here and there?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.