First Two Paynes

#1 Edited by WMoyer83 (643 posts) -

Should I play the first Max Payne games before starting this game? I preordered 3 and I never played the first two.

#2 Posted by Funkydupe (3320 posts) -

There's really no need, in my opinion.

#3 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -

I plan on doing it, playing the first one on my iPhone 4S now. Probably the wrong platform but whatevs

One thing though, I hate his face, so ugly :O

#4 Posted by david3cm (635 posts) -

I just recently played them for the first time and had a blast. There are some plot points that you should maybe know before starting the third, but I would go and play them just because they are fun. Just not the versions on XBLA, because those are not very good versions.

#5 Posted by Heltom92 (710 posts) -

It's probably not neccessary but they are still great games.

#6 Posted by AjayRaz (12428 posts) -

i would consider doing it. you could probably finish both games in a weekend with long sittings, and they're a lot of fun too. i figure you would also get the complete experience that 3 has to offer if you've played the other two.

i'm sure it won't be required though. maybe it will have an option to show what happened previously in the story just like 2 did.

#7 Posted by Funkydupe (3320 posts) -

@Heltom92: This is true.

#8 Edited by sublime90 (536 posts) -

i would say hell yeah just for the fact there 2 great games. i played the first one a few times and only 2 once. im currently trucking through 2 again and its awesome i almost forgot about all the little touches remedy put in those games. from the tv shows to posters with sam lake on them,the cleaning guy and mona singing the end credit song at random parts during the game. great stuff. damn max 3 is only 2 days away i cant fucking wait!

#9 Posted by Zao (127 posts) -

1st one just cause it has a great story and is real badass noir. 2nd one is better polished game wise.

#10 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

You won't have to in order to enjoy MP 3. The story doesn't really depend on them, and enough of Max's backstory is illustrated in the game.

But I would say yes just on their own merits. Both of them are classics and can be found for cheap on a few different platforms. Just doesn't necessarily have to be before MP 3 comes out.

#11 Posted by ShinjiEx (625 posts) -

You should just play Max Payne 1&2 in general cause of there awesomeness regardless of Max Payne 3

I feel sad for those who've never played classic awesome games :(

#12 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Damn, if Max Payne 1 and 2 of all games are not "necessary" to enjoy MP3 and understand the pain Max keeps talking about HOURS into MP3, then what goddamn game is necessary? 
Yes OP, if you don't want Max to be straight-up babbling about something you don't understand, playing the first 2 games (which are universally praised by the way) is damn necessary. 

@Venatio said:

I plan on doing it, playing the first one on my iPhone 4S now. Probably the wrong platform but whatevs

How can you say that about this beautiful face: 
#13 Posted by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

They are awesome and if you have access to them play them. I have Max Payne loaded up on my 360 as I type ready to jump back in. Finishing it up tonight then Max Payne 2 tomorrow.

#14 Posted by BionicRadd (617 posts) -

I loved both of those games, so I would say yes, as others have, because of the story. I also figure if 3 plays like a more polished version of these 2, then playing them in order won't be as bothersome, since you arent playing through what will feel like less polished mechanics.

#15 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

There is no good reason not to have played Max Payne 1 or 2, regardless of Max Payne 3.

#16 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1072 posts) -

Turn on the cheats through the console and enjoy the story of a very very broken man.

#17 Posted by PATJASA (78 posts) -

planning to download the first two on XBLM... not sure it's a good idea.... I mean both of them are good games with good or rather "grim" stories, just not sure the console version is any good...

#18 Posted by AngeTheDude (674 posts) -

@PATJASA: The console version of MP2 is pretty garbage.

#19 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4973 posts) -
@Venatio said:

YOU'RE UGLY!
#20 Posted by Hosstile17 (763 posts) -

@PATJASA said:

planning to download the first two on XBLM... not sure it's a good idea.... I mean both of them are good games with good or rather "grim" stories, just not sure the console version is any good...

If you have to play it on a console, the Xbox versions are perfectly fine. The nice thing about the PC versions is that they will run on anything that has come out in the last decade and do it looking much better. Although, you might have to mess around with it to get it to show up in widescreen.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.