haven't played the first 2, will i be lost?

#1 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

i've been itching for a new game, and from all the trailers and preview videos ive seen it looks really good, so i want to pick it up. however, i've never played the first two games. do you think i'll be lost in the narrative and characters? should i just look up the stories in a summery or youtube it?

just curious on everyones opinion on this.

#2 Edited by WammyJammy (3 posts) -

If you can't "afford" those games, you should really check some videos, even full walkthroughs, at least to understand max payne noir story. I guess you'll feel disconnected from the character's motivations if you don't know how Max became Max. BUUUT, knowing R* as I know, they'll set the mood and story in a way that newcomers won't get too lost in the story.

#3 Posted by AssInAss (2746 posts) -

If characters like Mona Sax and the NYPD police crew are returning, you will be lost. I don't know much the first two games' plots will be referred.

But you should absolutely play them, some of the best third person shooters and have great stories.

#4 Posted by bwheeeler (492 posts) -

I'm going to guess they made it as standalone as possible. Rockstar is smart enough for that.

#5 Posted by Pr1mus (3950 posts) -

No one can tell you that since no one knows the story yet. If you have a capable PC you can pre-order on Steam and get the first 2 for free now. They're still fun to play today.

#6 Posted by Hunkulese (2875 posts) -

You're probably in the same boat as most people who played them anyway.

I played both once when they came out and all I can remember is bullet time, back alleys and a weird dream crying baby sequence.

#7 Posted by Korwin (3034 posts) -

@AssInAss said:

If characters like Mona Sax and the NYPD police crew are returning, you will be lost.

... I'm pretty sure Mona won't be returning... not unless it's in a dream or something.

#8 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

I'm sure they will try to fill in the back story as much as possible. There was a bunch of details in the first game that could really have used more fleshing out.  The events that led to the first game's story are pretty important when it comes to understanding why Max is how he is, and Rockstar would be making a massive mistake if they didn't provide an updated perspective.

#9 Posted by Demoskinos (15158 posts) -

Well heads up if you buy Max Payne 3 at Walmart you get a token in the game to download a digital copy of the first game. Just FYI.

#10 Posted by Jay_Ray (1132 posts) -

My guess would be no, there has been to much time between MP2 and MP3 that they will not directly reference the old story lines simply because that would alienate new customers. Anything that you need to know about the previous stories will most likely be stated in the first 5 minutes.

#11 Posted by Fjordson (2433 posts) -

I think you'll be fine. Though someday, I'd go back and play them. They're great games!

If you're interesting the back story, watch these. This guy does the best story runs. He speeds up gameplay, focuses on all dialogue, cutscenes, and the comic book panels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH5jDUtQllk

Start there for Max Payne 1.

#12 Posted by Deathmachine117 (376 posts) -

I can only assume they will recap what happened in the others or at least drop enough hints to piece it together.

But the story is nothing you cant watch on youtube or wikipedia.

#13 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

@Fjordson: oh thanks, thats exactly what i was looking for. i'll probably pick them up next time i can get them super cheap on steam or something.

#14 Posted by Revan_NL (343 posts) -

Chances are you'll be enjoying the game more then if you did play the first two games. I love MP 1&2 but still can't really get past the design decisions Rockstar made. Max doesn't really look like Max, even in the sections that he does have hair. Plus I don't really like the setting. I don't mind a change of scenery, it doesn't really has to be New York, but I feel that other cities would have suited the character better (like Chicago or LA in the US, London or Paris in Europe or Hong Kong). From the footage that has been released I'm still not sure wether or not I should play this game, that's a absolute first for me with a Rockstar game.

#15 Edited by brainwins (252 posts) -

I've played both and I'm lost, too.

You can read the Wikipedia page or something, don't worry.

#16 Posted by pweidman (2364 posts) -

No not really, but the first game is certainly worth going and playing at some point.

#17 Posted by squirrelnacho (332 posts) -

@Revan_NL said:

Chances are you'll be enjoying the game more then if you did play the first two games. I love MP 1&2 but still can't really get past the design decisions Rockstar made. Max doesn't really look like Max, even in the sections that he does have hair. Plus I don't really like the setting. I don't mind a change of scenery, it doesn't really has to be New York, but I feel that other cities would have suited the character better (like Chicago or LA in the US, London or Paris in Europe or Hong Kong). From the footage that has been released I'm still not sure wether or not I should play this game, that's a absolute first for me with a Rockstar game.

Yeah the design design/aesthetic decisions are the biggest issue. The writing feels off/worse and they could have picked a better location (or not changed it at all). Why does Max look beefier than the first two games if he's getting older and popping pills? Maybe they were concerned people wouldn't enjoy playing the game if he didn't look like a badass?

They needed to change the gameplay, that's a given. But the feel and look of the game just doesn't seem to fit anymore.

#18 Posted by aintnoscrub (3 posts) -

i think a quick wikid reading will catch you up. to understand max's character you should at least spend half an hour reading the back story, other than that i wouldn't say you NEED to play them first to, to appreciate mp3

#19 Posted by MechaKirby (262 posts) -

Im in the same situation as you but im not super worried about because I trust Rockstar would take care of that but mostly because I didn't think there was much to the Max Payment story anyways? Some dudes kill his wife and he gets mad and kills more dudes. Does it get more complicated than that?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.