Here's Exactly What Max Payne 3 Looks Like

• 161 results
Posted by Brad (2870 posts) -

Rockstar sent out the first official screenshots of Max Payne 3 today. We already knew about Max's new older, paunchier look, and now we have some idea what kind of game this is actually going to be.

Well, sort of. I can tell you with confidence from looking at these shots that the game will involve guns, and shooting. Max will shoot guys. With guns. This will happen in some kind of tropical shantytown. How's that for in-depth analysis?

Truthfully, you can't get much of a sense of the game from these shots, but you can at least absorb the art style. How does it strike you? Do you think Naughty Dog ought to be getting upset yet? I'm all for changes in creative direction, but I certainly don't see anything in these shots that really screams "Max Payne!" at me.

Well, OK, that silhouette kind of fits.

Staff
#1 Posted by Brad (2870 posts) -

Rockstar sent out the first official screenshots of Max Payne 3 today. We already knew about Max's new older, paunchier look, and now we have some idea what kind of game this is actually going to be.

Well, sort of. I can tell you with confidence from looking at these shots that the game will involve guns, and shooting. Max will shoot guys. With guns. This will happen in some kind of tropical shantytown. How's that for in-depth analysis?

Truthfully, you can't get much of a sense of the game from these shots, but you can at least absorb the art style. How does it strike you? Do you think Naughty Dog ought to be getting upset yet? I'm all for changes in creative direction, but I certainly don't see anything in these shots that really screams "Max Payne!" at me.

Well, OK, that silhouette kind of fits.

Staff
#2 Edited by Akeldama (4236 posts) -

ok im excited officially 

oh and FIRST 
#3 Posted by Drebin_893 (2895 posts) -

Maybe I missed a joke, but why would Naughty Dog be getting jealous? I didn't think they were involved in Max Payne?

#4 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

Yeah, this really looks like RE5 meets Uncharted to me.  And yet, for some reason, I have no interest in this game. 

#5 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

Wow! colour me intrigued for 

"Uncharted :- max's really noticable lack of fortune, seriously we hope things look up for him soon"

#6 Posted by TheHBK (5458 posts) -

Truly, I don't even see Max Payne.  I just see Drake after his chick left him for her surfing instructor.  Where is the black jacket?  Where is the constipated look?  This guy looks more like bruce willis, in the Jungle.  I think they should have just slapped the name Die Hard: Jungle Fever on there.

#7 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -

Max is BACK!

#8 Posted by PapaLazarou (711 posts) -

It's too early to pass judgement because Rockstar always make great titles and i can't imagine them wanting to ruin this big name. I just wish'd it was based in the dark and gritty setting it was previously but I understand carrying on the story and to keep things fresh, that you can't do that. Just hope it's good cause I loved the first two.

#9 Posted by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -

I like Max's new look. It totally suits his storyline.

#10 Posted by HatKing (5782 posts) -

If they remade Max Payne now that game would be terrible.  They need to change it pretty drastically to make it worth playing.

#11 Posted by Yummylee (21208 posts) -

Max sorta resembles Sam fisher a lil to me, that and the hobo that keeps askin for change everytime i walk to the cornershop.

#12 Posted by PeasForFees (2408 posts) -

No Drake looks better but Payne totally has the Fat McClane going for him

#13 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6041 posts) -

Grizzly Adams did have a beard.

#14 Posted by Pie (7035 posts) -

Is that set in brazil? It looks like that....
Also where's my free map pack Brad?

#15 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

He looks so different. But whatever, it's cool. I don't think Rockstar will let me down.

#16 Posted by natetodamax (19169 posts) -

Nothing we haven't seen in Game Informer.

#17 Posted by fillmoejoe (1469 posts) -

Looks like Double Agent, just got out the joint Sam Fisher.

#18 Posted by Jackel2072 (2235 posts) -

eh. i really dont like his new look. he looks like Sam Fisher from double agent now...

#19 Posted by PJ (1143 posts) -

big surprise, rockstar fucks up Max Payne. That looks absolutly nothing like Max Payne. Just put the damn game in a dark and gritty big city. New York in the first two Max Payne was a huge part of the game and that was what gave it its special flavor. Putting it in fucking Mexico or where ever the hell it is will take what was great about Max Payne and throw it out the window and then have a hobo rape it in the ear.

#20 Posted by Mus (101 posts) -

Looking pretty awesome. :)

#21 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2484 posts) -

Why does he look like a side character that hands out missions in Far Cry 2?

"Hey amigo, I'm going to need you to travel to map grid section 14-7 to collect 15 pineapples for my delicious homemade pineapple turnovers.  Once you have come back with these things, then I will give you the information you desire." - Max Payne

#22 Edited by Kritz (6 posts) -

(Re: silhouette screen)
Max Payne has a shotgun for a penis?

#23 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -

Lmao, everything but max himself looks straight outta uncharted.

#24 Posted by Vorbis (2749 posts) -
@Drebin_893:  It looks abit like Uncharted 2.

Kind of agree that Max Payne doesn't fit in that location, stick him back in a gritty city.
#25 Posted by musdy (323 posts) -

Bring back the original model for Max Payne 1!!!

#26 Posted by TOXICSHLOCK (36 posts) -

the new look breaks the predictable action every man mold, that is welcomed.
the odds are - this is going to be a well received shooter, it would more of a surprise if RockStar actually botched it.

#27 Posted by RoyaleWifCheese (541 posts) -

And here's where we lose everything that made the last two games so awesome. Don't get me wrong, Rockstar makes quality games. I just don't see it being as good as the first two now that Remedy isn't involved. If the writing is up to snuff, I might reconsider

#28 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

My vision of what Max Pain is is dark, opressive streets in the pouring rain. Not really this. Still, I'll give it a chance.

#29 Posted by Oni (2094 posts) -

diiiiiiiiisgusting.

#30 Posted by jakob187 (21640 posts) -

Saw all those in the new Game Informer.

#31 Posted by Landmine (524 posts) -

Sup half-tuck.

#32 Posted by gzl5000 (164 posts) -
@Krakn3Dfx said:
" Why does he look like a side character that hands out missions in Far Cry 2?"Hey amigo, I'm going to need you to travel to map grid section 14-7 to collect 15 pineapples for my delicious homemade pineapple turnovers.  Once you have come back with these things, then I will give you the information you desire." - Max Payne "
My thoughts exactly. WTF? Why would Max Payne be in a jungle anyway?
#33 Posted by phlegms (1607 posts) -

Dude looks mad old.

#34 Posted by mosespippy (3982 posts) -

He looks like a white Dwayne Forge from GTA4.  I bet R* took the character model and changed the skin tone.

#35 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

no no NO NO

#36 Posted by mracoon (4948 posts) -

I won't judge until I see some actual gameplay but it doesn't look like Max to me. Not that's necessarily a bad thing but his face made half the game for me so to see him looking fat and having a beard makes me a bit disappointed.

#37 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2484 posts) -
@gzl5000 said:
" @Krakn3Dfx said:
" Why does he look like a side character that hands out missions in Far Cry 2?"Hey amigo, I'm going to need you to travel to map grid section 14-7 to collect 15 pineapples for my delicious homemade pineapple turnovers.  Once you have come back with these things, then I will give you the information you desire." - Max Payne "
My thoughts exactly. WTF? Why would Max Payne be in a jungle anyway? "
Zombies...obviously.

Still, I can bitch all I want, I was a HUGE fan of Max Payne 1 and 2, and I will be getting this Day One, is only to expand the story canon of Max Payne for myself.
#38 Edited by FlipperDesert (2081 posts) -

Why is Max out of Noir York and in some slums? What happened to his awesome hair? WHY DO NONE OF THESE PICTURES SHOW BULLET TIME!?

I feel sad inside. Seriously, NYC, burnt-out detective, monologues, punny names, is it really that hard to do?

#39 Posted by Volkodlak (115 posts) -
@Drebin_893: He means the new art direction looks like Uncharted... and no, I don't think Naughty Dog have anything to worry about.
#40 Posted by imayellowfellow (558 posts) -

im hoping this is a dream sequence and hes actually still in NYC

#41 Posted by Nasar7 (2587 posts) -

He looks like Kimbo now.

#42 Posted by FlipperDesert (2081 posts) -
@imayellowfellow said:
" im hoping this is a dream sequence and hes actually still in NYC "
I'm hoping it's just a prologue and he grows that awesome hair back.
#43 Posted by Volkodlak (115 posts) -
Well, Generic Action Game #5,973,462 looks pretty good... where are the Max Payne 3 screens?
#44 Posted by LiquidPrince (15834 posts) -

So what's the hook in Max Payne 3? I mean in the first two it was the bullet time and gritty story, but those things have now been done to death. So what is the hook now?

#45 Posted by RedSox8933 (2428 posts) -

All but one of these screenshots were in GI.

#46 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

Love the new look of Max Payne..can't wait to see some gameplay. Hope they skip the pills this time around though since I ended up using health cheats in Max Payne 2.

#47 Posted by TehBuLL (589 posts) -

max payne shouldnt be this...outdoorsy.

#48 Posted by Absurd (2934 posts) -

I'm starting to hate this game, I loved Max Payne 1 & 2 but this just isn't Max Payne.

#49 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Absurd said:
" I'm starting to hate this game, I loved Max Payne 1 & 2 but this just isn't Max Payne. "
Indeed
#50 Edited by Sunjammer (903 posts) -

This does not look like a Max Payne game. At. All. It looks like angry Sam Fisher. In the jungle(?!).
This is a bullshit pretender to the throne. I am not a believer. It can play great and still not be Max Payne.

"This is Max as we've never seen him before, a few years older, more world-weary and cynical than ever"
Urrrghhhhhhhhhhh. Max Payne is not your generic angry-man. I wouldn't even call him cynical or world weary. First game is a drug infused revenge story after they *murder his wife and child*. The second is a conspiracy *love story*. Remedy did really interesting things with that character. But, you know, what the hey. Let Rockstar go Rockstar it all up. BLehghgh. Fuck this.

I don't know but my gut says fuck this shit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.