How would you feel about a Max Payne 4 ?

#1 Posted by Sean2206 (264 posts) -

So I just finished Max Payne 3 and wow what a game, great story, voice acting, writing and great gameplay. I played the entire series over the summer for the first time and I enjoyed all three games immensely and I was kind of sad to see Max Payne 3 end. With the ending implying Max was done and could finally rest it got me thinking about a Max Payne 4 and my question to you people is

Would you play a Max Payne 4 or How would you feel about a Max Payne 4 ?

initially I felt Max was very detached from the story of the third game as he had no personal motivation like he did in the first two but as the intrigue and mystery built and Max had more clear motivations to do the right thing or find some sort of redemption especially. The end of chapter 6 also gave Max some clear personal motivations to keep fighting. What I'm trying to say is in my opinion a fourth game could work but if you are going to do another and if they do be it remedy or Rockstar I feel it should be the last and the final chapter should be very personal even if it is something as simple as someone with a vendetta from Max's past returns and go from there.

Anyway I throw it over to you guys, opinions on a Max Payne 4 ?

#2 Posted by SerHulse (685 posts) -

I'd want a Max Payne 4 but not for maybe another 3-4 years at least.

I fucking loved 3 (perhaps my personal GOTY so far) despite the fact I was very indifferent towards 1 and 2.

As for why I think it shouldn't happen for a long while? I thought the gameplay was unique and extremely interesting and entertaining, but I feel a Max Payne game every other year say, might sully that. Whereas if there was a long gap between releases it would (hopefully) be refreshing every time it comes out.

Then again I think the same should apply to every video game out there but, what are you going to do? Rockstar are one of the few companies in a position were they can shelve a popular franchise for years at a time, rather than milking it, if they want to. Who's going to stop them?

#3 Posted by MikkaQ (10284 posts) -

I think it would be pretty inappropriate, and would probably shit all over the theme of redemption that the game has. Max is done, yo. Rode off into the sunset.

#4 Posted by Milkman (16677 posts) -

We're done. Do something new. 

#5 Posted by Mastercheesey (220 posts) -

I would prefer new stuff from Rockstar.

#6 Posted by Brendan (7776 posts) -

Don't care. Max Payne 3 was a pretty fun to play, but it was clear from that game that there isn't anything interesting to say about Max Payne anymore.

#7 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -
#8 Posted by Seastalk (123 posts) -

I didn't want a Max Payne 3 from Rockstar, I certainly don't want a 4...

#9 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

My heart says let poor Max rest in peace after all the shit he went through, but my desire to play another awesome-as-hell Max Payne game says MAKE IT ASAP.

#10 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

I enjoyed Max Payne 3, so I'd certainly look forward to it. But at the same time, based on the story and where the character is at the end of 3, I don't know if it'd make a whole lot of sense.

And really, Rockstar isn't usually into direct sequels. Technically they do them for GTA, but those are pretty far removed from each other, save for a few references and made-up product brands.

#11 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10918 posts) -

I think they'd be better off rebooting the series. The Max Payne.

#12 Edited by ShaggE (6424 posts) -

M4x P4yne.

Sorry. (not really)

#13 Posted by Sean2206 (264 posts) -

I agree with you guys that in terms of story that should be it over, Max is finished and can finally chill but damn if I don't want to play another fun as hell Max Payne game.

#14 Posted by Maajin (1059 posts) -
#15 Posted by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

Nah, in the end Max got what he wanted; for the sun to shine.

#16 Posted by Genkkaku (735 posts) -

As much as I liked 3.. 2 ended on a good note, Max had come full circle and his story was done.. but video games man

With that ending I hope that there is never a Max Payne 4.. the only way I would play it if it's a Bubba Hotep but Max Payn

#17 Posted by Village_Guy (2546 posts) -

Sure, I would like it to return to the hands and minds of Max Payne 1 and 2, and then I want them to go to Russia, like the original concept for Max Payne 3. And Max should die in the end... or in the middle of the game, that would be even more Max Payne-like.

Come on Rockstar! Get Remedy working on that.

#18 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

I loved Max Payne 3, but Rockstar can not possibly take the franchise in a more interesting direction, their deed is done with the ending of MP3.

The only hope for a Max Payne 4 is one made by Remedy that somehow brings the series to its roots and fucks with the mind like the good old days.

#19 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -

The only new Max Payne product I'd like to see is an HD remake of the original two, Halo Anniversary-style. Other than that, the series has ended, and it went out really well. Enjoy it.

#20 Edited by j_boy (12 posts) -

Yeah, I would love to play a Max Payne 4 similar in style to the third game. Perhaps make Max a little older still, and have the storyline be more directly related to Max himself as opposed to something he is just dropped into. That isn't to say I didn't enjoy Max Payne 3, I really did, but I did feel more or less disconnected from the story. I only connected to things through Max. I just made a video review of the game where I talk about all this stuff

Sure hope we don't have to wait a decade to play the next game with Max Payne in it! I really like his character in 3.

#21 Posted by TheHT (11155 posts) -

I wouldn't be interested. The story in Max Payne 3 was promising but dropped the ball towards the end.

Take the gameplay and start a new story.

#22 Posted by Nightriff (5023 posts) -

Another game in the LA Noire universe is what I would want

#23 Edited by natedawg_kz (234 posts) -
@theht said:

I wouldn't be interested. The story in Max Payne 3 was promising but dropped the ball towards the end.

Take the gameplay and start a new story.

What this guy said and also a HD collection with trophies would be great.

#24 Edited by jkz (4010 posts) -

Max Payne 3 was my favourite game of last year, and no thank you. Some sort of reboot that takes the story / thematic elements in an intersting direction? Sure, but I think "our" Max's story is pretty well and over at this point

#25 Edited by Pr1mus (3873 posts) -

Leave Max alone! He deserves a break.

The mechanics are outstanding but i don't want another story with Max. Keep the gameplay and make a non-Max Payne game with it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.