James McCaffrey returning as Max Payne

• 76 results
#1 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -

That's right folks, the godly voice of Max is coming back, but this time he's also doing performance capture for the character.

Source: 

sorry, can't provide scans.
#2 Edited by Tebbit (4458 posts) -

OH FUCK.

Sold.

And I really hope Max is over his Chrome-Dome phase.

#3 Posted by Gnubberen (764 posts) -

Great news. Wouldn't be a Max Payne game without McCaffrey.

#4 Edited by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

Great success. Now.. if there was a headline somewhere that said:

"Max will NOT be bullet timing into cover and hide behind it like a pussy"

Day 1 purchase.
#5 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

I had my doubts,  but this is a MAJOR step in the right direction.

#6 Edited by Silock (238 posts) -
So the bearded guy IS Max Payne? When I first heard of this game and saw screenshots I thought it was a new character lol 
#7 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3780 posts) -

This is definitely comforting news.  Any word on if the graphic novel-style cutscenes are still in?  The voice and the cutscenes were my main concerns (with lack of New York being third).

#8 Edited by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -

@PhatSeeJay:

@Wrighteous86:

There's more info in the actual article, but..
More details on the game itself :
  • comic book frames replaced with 'in-engine' , 'animated collages of action footage' ala 24- "motion comic book approach"
  • Game will take place in a wide variety of different places- nothing really more specific than that
  • stages will not always be in order chronologically
  • Max will narrate things as in previous games
  • Cover system as stated previously; still being worked on
  • Destructible, detailed environments and many hours of contextual animations for the characters
  • Hundreds of hours of motion capture combined with NaturalEngine's Euphoria procedural animation= huge emphasis on amazing animations (general animations are to MP3 as faces are to LA noire perhaps?)
  • Full performance capture, group mo-cap sessions with the actors
  • Script (story) "feels good" (?)
  • Wheel based weapon selection system ala RDR, three weapons can be carried at a given time
  • Meticulously detailed weapon firing animations (example was a pistol's popping back, slide moving, casing eject)
  • bullet-time triggered by "key situations"- there are action set-pieces revolving around the effect
  • Stories from MP1 and 2 continue- Inner Circle is involved
  • Dual-wielding is more open- any two one handed weapons
  • Since the game is linear a lot of time is being spent tweaking and polishing every enemy encounter
#9 Posted by mm665 (407 posts) -

That looks much more like Max Payne i know.

#10 Posted by Jimbo (9799 posts) -

My loins stir like the tumultous currents of New York Harbor during a stormy winter storm.

#11 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -
@mm665:  He still loses his hair and bulks up in at least one portion of the game (I would assume this is when he is at the nadir of his physical appearance) but there are quite a few screens where he has hair and actually looks like a more rugged version of his MP2 self.
#12 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3780 posts) -

I guess I can handle him leaving New York if it makes sense in the plot, and we know there will be at  least one level there. 

I hate cheesy "moving comic book" interlays though.  Would've preferred the images like the first two, but I guess that's not "showy" enough for modern audiences. 

Let's say I've gone from moderate dread to uneasy optimism.

#13 Posted by mm665 (407 posts) -
@thehexeditor: That doesn't sound too bad and make some kind of sense.
#14 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -
@Wrighteous86 said:
" I guess I can handle him leaving New York if it makes sense in the plot, and we know there will be at  least one level there.  I hate cheesy "moving comic book" interlays though.  Would've preferred the images like the first two, but I guess that's not "showy" enough for modern audiences.  Let's say I've gone from moderate dread to uneasy optimism. "
I went from moderate dread to genuine excitement
#15 Posted by NTM (7321 posts) -

I'm liking how this is going. Everything a fan would want! I was planning on getting this even before we heard about all the great news that a lot will stay the same (his look and voice), but this is even better.
#16 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3780 posts) -

The voice and the narration (as long as it's as melodramatic and cheesy-noir as the first two) are really the most important things when it comes to Max Payne.  I love these games, man, I hope they do it right.

#17 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -
#18 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -
@Wrighteous86 said:
" The voice and the narration (as long as it's as melodramatic and cheesy-noir as the first two) are really the most important things when it comes to Max Payne.  I love these games, man, I hope they do it right. "
Yeah, here's a sample from the article:

"I may have written the book on dumb ideas, but Passos [a partner in one mission] wasn't afraid to quote from it."
#19 Posted by Delicious_Brains (170 posts) -

First interest in Max Payne 3 has begun.

#20 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3780 posts) -
@thehexeditor said:
" @Wrighteous86 said:
" The voice and the narration (as long as it's as melodramatic and cheesy-noir as the first two) are really the most important things when it comes to Max Payne.  I love these games, man, I hope they do it right. "
Yeah, here's a sample from the article:  "I may have written the book on dumb ideas, but Passos [a partner in one mission] wasn't afraid to quote from it." "
Okay... thank you! :D
#21 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -
@Hitchenson said:
" Wow, that doesn't sound utterly shit. I'm shocked after the first lot of screens they put out. Love me some Payne. 

"
In this day and age..
I look up to the star studded sky as I light my cigarette, knowing that satellites are up there watching my every move.
they truly are.
#22 Edited by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -
@Chop:  Keep in mind this is frigging Max Payne we're talking about. Slow-mo run and gunning, walking towards a guy while blasting off the table he's hiding behind and then blasting him in the chest and he flies back, diving (and sliding) left, right, back, forward, all surrounded by a new contextual animation system.. You are being fuckin told and sold right here. Yes, even in the greatest action movies people take cover..
#23 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -
@thehexeditor: Want. 

WANT. 

Nothing else to say, other than this and DE3 are my most anticipated games in a long time.
#24 Posted by zaglis (909 posts) -
@thehexeditor said:
"   @PhatSeeJay:

@Wrighteous86:

"
Oh joy. We totally need more ''Camp behind a cover, wait til an enemy pops out - shoot. Repeat'' third person shooters.

By the way - regen health or painkillers?
#25 Edited by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -
@zaglis said:

" @thehexeditor said:

"   @PhatSeeJay:

@Wrighteous86:

"
Oh joy. We totally need more ''Camp behind a cover, wait til an enemy pops out - shoot. Repeat'' third person shooters.  By the way - regen health or painkillers? "
That's not how the combat is going to work at all, but  I will wait until you are inevitably proven completely wrong before I type anything else. And I assume you want to be proven wrong so, whatever.
In my opinion, as long as the animation, graphics, sound effects, and that 'tactile feeling' are there, cover-based third person shooting can be glorious. Until we see some gameplay footage it will be hard to tell if this will be the case for MP3 but I am optimistic. But the fact remains that it's not the only way to play, or rather, the only thing you do in the damn game.
There is a health icon at the bottom of the screen that needs to be filled when you're low on health- guess what you do to fucking restore said health.
#26 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1863 posts) -

Ah, memories of slow motion diving from behind a column and dual hand submachine gun fire erupting...

#27 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

This game's beginning to look more like the first two, but I'm still far from sold on it. 

But at least he has hair now!

#28 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

No Remedy, no sale.

#29 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" No Remedy, no sale. "
The Daria icon combined with your quote made me chuckle, in a pitying way.
#30 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
@thehexeditor said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" No Remedy, no sale. "
The Daria icon combined with your quote made me chuckle, in a pitying way. "
Why pitying?
#31 Posted by ThatFrood (3375 posts) -

So, maybe this is a dumb question... but I feel like it's one that needs to be asked. Considering the track record rockstar is beginning to set... is this game going to come out for PC?

#32 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" @thehexeditor said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" No Remedy, no sale. "
Why pitying? "
Such cynicism makes for humorous foiling in fiction but comes across as  a bit close-minded in real life.
#33 Edited by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -
@ThatFrood:  Yes. By yes I mean that EDGE listed it as a PC, PS3, and XBOX 360 title.
#34 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Well, if Max looks like he does on the cover, and if McCaffrey is returning, then there might be some hope for Max Payne 3 despite Sam Lake's absence.

#35 Posted by ThatFrood (3375 posts) -
@thehexeditor said:
" @ThatFrood:  Yes. By yes I mean that EDGE listed it as a PC, PS3, and XBOX 360 title. "
So then second question, is it going to be little more than a crappy port for PC? I realize you can't answer that question, but I'm just saying.
#36 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
@thehexeditor said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @thehexeditor said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" No Remedy, no sale. "
Why pitying? "
Such cynicism makes for humorous foiling in fiction but comes across as  a bit close-minded in real life. "
I see where you're coming from but Max Payne and Max Payne 2 are total Sam Lake joints to the point where I can't imagine something being done by someone else coming anywhere close to that level of auteurist quality. Like looking at Terminator 3 in comparison to the first two; it's just not on the same level.
#37 Edited by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -
@ThatFrood said:

" @thehexeditor said:

" @ThatFrood:  Yes. By yes I mean that EDGE listed it as a PC, PS3, and XBOX 360 title. "

So then second question, is it going to be little more than a crappy port for PC? I realize you can't answer that question, but I'm just saying. "
I'm sounding like PR for Rockstar in this thread but I will take your side and not be surprised if they do a subpar job with the PC, especially with performance optimization.
All information I've given is readily available in the EDGE article which you can find if you're feeling tenacious enough. 

@HandsomeDead: True, there is no doubt that they are replacing that Sam Lake feeling that is exclusive with Remedy with what you get in a Rockstar production. Remedy did develop with help from their publisher (Rockstar), though.
#38 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

I am much more interested in it thats for sure. Good to know some actual details on the game but still want to know more about it. Rockstar are an amazing group of developers but I wonder if they can capture the Max Payne feeling that Remedy created. I am a little tired of cover based third person shooters but I didn't really use the cover that much in RDR so this might be OK.

#39 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10864 posts) -

This'll be great when the game comes out...A decade from now. 

#40 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan said:
" This'll be great when the game comes out...A decade from now.  "
My guess is that it's Rockstar's major 2012 release.
#41 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2430 posts) -

Not feeling the 3 weapons at a time thing, but Ill keep my eye on this.

#42 Posted by FlyingRat (1446 posts) -

Little worried about the cover system thing... Besides that i am a lot more optimistic about this than i used to be.

#43 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

Did he grow his hair back?

#44 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3780 posts) -
@buzz_killington said:

" Did he grow his hair back? "

Time jumps in the plot.  At some points he will have hair.  There is even a pic of him wearing his leather jacket and outfit from Max Payne 2.
#45 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

Scan this!
#46 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -
@Scooper said:
"
 Scan this!
"
 Hrrk!
#47 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -
@thehexeditor said:
" @Scooper said:
"
 Scan this!
"
 Hrrk!
"

WHOAAAA!!! SHIT!
#48 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@thehexeditor: This issue is subscriber only until May 2011. It isn't available in newsstands yet. I just checked my local bookstore. 

Also, for those that were interested in scans, you can find them here.
#49 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

So basically the issue people were having was that we only seen him when he was bald?

#50 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

If Max Payne 3 has a cover system, there's a very good chance I won't buy it. 

Like I said before, conforming to popular tropes is an obvious ploy to attract the masses. I can definitely see why they would do this, and don't object to them opening up to as wide an audience as possible, but abandoning what made your game stand out in the first place is a step too far.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.