Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 15, 2012

The long-awaited third Max Payne game finally arrived in May 2012, courtesy of Rockstar Vancouver. Eight years after the end of Max Payne 2, an aging, burnt-out Max finds one last chance to redeem himself while working as a bodyguard for a rich family in Brazil.

James McCaffrey returning as Max Payne

• 76 results
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By napalm
    @CL60 said:
    " So basically the issue people were having was that we only seen him when he was bald? "
    The issue most people had was the original images they released were of a wide Max Payne in sunny Brazil, looking like a total bum. Here, he looks worn down, but he looks more tired and vengeful, and not homeless.
    Seroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#52  Edited By Seroth

I'm back on-board with the return of McCaffery as Max. I'm a little worried about the writing. Let's hope they can come up with lots of crazy metaphors for Max to spout without Sam Lake. Totally unsure about the cutscenes/motion comic stuff. All the motion comics I've seen ended up looking really stupid, like they were made in Flash, and just a poor presentation overall.

ThreeRoneC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#53  Edited By ThreeRoneC

I cant wait for Max Payne 3. Well I have for years now. I just hope they dont screw it up. Of course all of my hopes and ideas for this game wont be anything close to the final game. thats just how it is with games that i've waited for as long or longer than this game. Alan Wake was well worth the wait, so I have confindence that Remedy will make another great Max Payne.
    CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By CaptainObvious

Man, beards are awesome.

VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#55  Edited By VicRattlehead

kinda concerned its cover based...  
    fuck that noise i just wanna dive round corners with my duel pistols like a badass motherfucker wasting every fool that gets in my way in slow motion

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#56  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @thehexeditor said:

"

• Cover system as stated previously; still being worked on
    "
     *Sad Face*
    Also... 

@thehexeditor said:

"

•   bullet-time triggered by "key situations"- there are action set-pieces revolving around the effect
    "
    I don't want it to be triggered by some God damned "key situations"! I want to trigger it whenever the hell I want to!
    I want to be able to throw Max forward and land on his stomach while I dump bullets into the goon's face!

Those two bullet points alone ruined my day. One or the other is one thing but the two combined seem to be pretty much the exact opposite of what Max Payne is about.
    What?! Guy too old now to throw himself backwards down a set of stairs, land on his ass and stand up like nothing happened?!
    Hairy_Fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Hairy_Fish
    @PhatSeeJay said:
    " @thehexeditor said:

"

• Cover system as stated previously; still being worked on
    "
     *Sad Face*
    Also... 

@thehexeditor said:

"

•   bullet-time triggered by "key situations"- there are action set-pieces revolving around the effect
    "
    I don't want it to be triggered by some God damned "key situations"! I want to trigger it whenever the hell I want to! I want to be able to throw Max forward and land on his stomach while I dump bullets into the goon's face!  Those two bullet points alone ruined my day. One or the other is one thing but the two combined seem to be pretty much the exact opposite of what Max Payne is about. What?! Guy too old now to throw himself backwards down a set of stairs, land on his ass and stand up like nothing happened?! "
    Thought I was the only one.
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#58  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Alright after having read the article, I feel a lot more interested again. 

This one, while still true and maybe what made me really pissed off, is not the whole story. Turns out you will be able to trigger bullet dodges, fly through the air and slide across the floor bullet time style.  They seem to go back to Max Payne 1 here though since you recharge the meter by killing fools instead of constant recharging from Max Payne 2.

Also I can with 99% certainty say that the bald fat guy is pretty much the Max in the end of the game where things culminate. He has hair in the beginning of the game and throughout we will do jumps back in time to answer question how Max ended up in South America. 
    Saw a picture of him fighting with full, thick hair and wearing his trench coat so it's certain that we will visit New York even if it's as a peek back in time. 

Also... POPPIN' PILLS!

Yeah... So I don't know. Cover system still feels very "meh" to me but if I can bullet doge, then I'm happy. Especially if Euphoria will make it look sweet when falling down stairs. :P
    Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#59  Edited By Oni

McCaffrey's return is a huge relief for me, he's such an integral part of the character that I'd just not care if he wasn't Max. I still hope the story and writing specifically are up to par with the second game, but I'm more hopeful than I was before, though I'm still very wary. I hope the story doesn't go the overblown, long-winded direction that RDR and GTA 4 went into.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#60  Edited By breadfan

Awesome. These tiny bits of news about Max Payne 3 have renewed my hope for the game.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By sameeeeam
    @thehexeditor said:
    " @Wrighteous86 said:
    " The voice and the narration (as long as it's as melodramatic and cheesy-noir as the first two) are really the most important things when it comes to Max Payne.  I love these games, man, I hope they do it right. "
    Yeah, here's a sample from the article:  "I may have written the book on dumb ideas, but Passos [a partner in one mission] wasn't afraid to quote from it." "
    That's perfect.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#62  Edited By AhmadMetallic

AMAZING NEWS <3 

however, about the few gameplay descriptions the OP listed.....................ok ok ok.. i wont judge 
     i'll be optimistic for once and say in R* we trust

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#63  Edited By buzz_killington

I could smell the self-righteous cynicism from the fans. I didn't care. I had a mission to do.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @buzz_killington said:
    " I could smell the self-righteous cynicism from the fans. I didn't care. I had a mission to do. "
    Just as an example; this is the low level of quality that I'm expecting from the dialogue in this game.
    Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#65  Edited By buzz_killington
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " @buzz_killington said:
    " I could smell the self-righteous cynicism from the fans. I didn't care. I had a mission to do. "
    Just as an example; this is the low level of quality that I'm expecting from the dialogue in this game. "
    ZING!!
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @buzz_killington said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:
    " @buzz_killington said:
    Just as an example; this is the low level of quality that I'm expecting from the dialogue in this game. "
    ZING!! "
    yeah powerful zinger right there 
    IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#67  Edited By IkariNoTekken

The change of developer and some of the early information released have me worried but I'm still optimistic. Not sure how people can completely disregard a game without at least finding out more.

Anyway, I would like to see some of this:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

In my mind a cover system is a pretty obvious move forward for the game. As long as it doesn't turn into Gears of War (pop-up and shoot) and you have the ability to dive out from cover firing off dual Beretta's I'm completely okay with it.

A couple of images here for people complaining about the use of cover: 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Now, if your asking yourself what have these images have got to do with Max Payne....
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By napalm
    @Jimbo said:
    " My loins stir like the tumultous currents of New York Harbor during a stormy winter storm. "
    Somebody really, really needs to give this man a medal. This quote is great. It's so good. So good. I love you.
    thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By thehexeditor
    @Napalm said:
    " @Jimbo said:
    " My loins stir like the tumultous currents of New York Harbor during a stormy winter storm. "
    Somebody really, really needs to give this man a medal. This quote is great. It's so good. So good. I love you. "
    Somewhere in the dank recesses of my mind I realized that this man needed a medal.
    His quote bore a hole in my head, happiness spilling into the wound.
    It was good. So good.
    I loved him for it.
    ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#70  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Good for him. Fans should be pleased.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#71  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Holy shit, day one.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Bloodgraiv3 said:
    "Holy shit, day one."
    not just yet brosef :P
    Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Agent47

@PhatSeeJay:Never understood the logic behind this because Max hid behind alot of boxes and walls in 1 & 2 like a pussy and got shot to hell only now he can probably attach to it while he is popping pills, just sayin...

Frag_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Frag_Maniac

@PhatSeeJay said:

Great success. Now.. if there was a headline somewhere that said:

"Max will NOT be bullet timing into cover and hide behind it like a pussy"

Day 1 purchase.

Between that and a tamer damage model, I'll take the cover any day. It's really only needed here and there on higher difficulty anyway, and they did design the shoot dodge in such a way that you can jump right over or away from objects you're using for cover, so it's not like it's as cumbersome as that of GoW or other games.

The one thing that made me most skeptical about the game before launch were gameplay demo videos released that showed Max moving back and forth running and gunning in bullet time. At least the dynamic of the cover system adds an element of strategy in how to use the layout of areas where you're overwhelmed by enemies without constantly spamming shoot dodge or bullet time.

Bullet time and shoot dodge are fun, but many gens old now. Too much of it makes for a very arcade, repetitious experience.

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#75  Edited By jillsandwich

Hmm. It says that the Inner Circle are involved in the story. I would have liked to see that make it to the game.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By cooljammer00

Yeah, some more ties into MP1 and 2 would have been nice.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.