Max McClane or John Payne

#1 Posted by Unilad (561 posts) -

Near the end of the game, Max's character really reminded me of John McClane from Die Hard. Especially when he is down to just his vest. Anyone else get that reference. Whilst Max was humour full in the other 2 installments, its been ramped up in this game, which is similar to McClanes humour "yipikaye motherfucker"

#2 Edited by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

He's always been a wisecrackin' everyman in over his head, but Rockstar really embraced the action hero qualities, essentially to the point of deflating the whole concept of the American savior in a foreign land.

I did think the last chapter at the airport terminal and the final chase outside felt like an homage to Die Hard 2.
#3 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1744 posts) -

I got John McClane vibes almost all throughout the game, which I mentioned in the review I wrote. Definitely not a bad thing. I really enjoyed Max's sarcasm and dark sense of humor in 3.

#4 Posted by Doctorchimp (4076 posts) -

Yeah, I was definitely feeling the Bruce Willis effect in full force.

#5 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (733 posts) -

I thought that with some minor script edits this could easily be a Die Hard film.

#6 Edited by NTM (7377 posts) -

Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs, blah blah blah. I'm John McClaaaane. Dehhh, mehhh. And yippykayyaymudduhfucka to you!

- John McClane.

#7 Posted by SarjuTheRapper (279 posts) -
@NTM said:

Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs, blah blah blah. I'm John McClaaaane. Dehhh, mehhh. And yippykayyaymudduhfucka to you!

- John McClane.

"ho ho ho i have violent tendencies and a dark sense of humor"
#8 Posted by StealthRaptor (528 posts) -

I felt it real hard when Max was crawling through the duct in the second to last chapter.

#9 Posted by Commander_Crichton (156 posts) -

How can the same shit happen to the same guy thrice?

#10 Posted by BBQBram (2236 posts) -

Definitely thought of that yeah. I actually prefer Max Payne 3 to any Die Hard though, it's a lot more engaging doing the shooting yourself.

This thread should be about the best Die Hard movie, which has to be the third one, right?

#11 Posted by WalkerTR77 (1368 posts) -

Yea, imagining that the game was a Die Hard instalment really enhanced the experience for me. I even tossed a few McClaneisms at my TV for my own amusement.

And don't be foolish, the best Die Hard is the first, this is just fact.

"Oooooh! And the quarterback, IS TOAST!"

#12 Posted by Barrock (3533 posts) -

The first Die Hard is one of the finest films ever made.

#13 Edited by Frag_Maniac (107 posts) -

Funny you should mention it because shortly after beating the game on Hard, I stayed up to watch an HD airing of Die Hard 2 on TV, and I couldn't help but think what with the airport setting and demeanor, John McClane is the closest movie character to the Max Payne in MP3, even closer, much closer in fact, than Wahlberg's portrayal of Max in the MP movie.

Using Wahlberg in the MP movie was pretty bad casting if you ask me. Too bad they didn't use James McCaffrey himself.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.