Max Payne 3 a financial flop?

#201 Posted by Slag (4001 posts) -

Well I never like to hear it when a decent game doesn't do well. But I'm not surprised given the age of the IP, marketing, tone and setting shift.

I liked the original Max Payne a lot, it was really fresh and exciting at the time, never seen anything like it at that point. But frankly I feel that should have been the end of the series. Max's story should have naturally ended there (although it went in some weird ways) and could have very easily if Remedy had resolved some dangling plot threads in that game which they easily could have. Not everything gets better with having sequels. I would have preferred they moved onto a new IP, even if it was similar in play and theme, just to get a fresh story so it could have the same punch as the first did.

I played two, thought I had more polish with a pretty tacked on story, and I did miss ole scrunchy face Max who seemed I dunno more believable as a just a dude going through some major league crap. And that's what I liked about Max Payne was the whole story, storyboard cutscenes and Noir feel. The stuff I've seen of three I've seen zero of that, which is what made Max Payne unique in my mind. So it looks more like a more generic shooter to me.

So I gotta admit I don't have much desire to play Max Payne Three. Although some of the passionate reactions in favor of it on here got me thinking about it.

#202 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

Really? That's kinda surprising I'll wait to hear from Rockstar though

#203 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

@MackGyver said:

They should have stuck closer to the formula that made the first Max Payne such a hit.

Remedy already tried this with Max Payne 2 and it flopped.

#204 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I love Max Payne, and Rockstar productions. Why didn't I buy it then? Because I still have tonnes of games on my plate, and because it's a linear corridor shooter - I don't need to be 'there' day and date, for that experience - and I never really cared for competitive online multiplayer in 3rd Person Shooters.

#205 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

@MackGyver said:

They should have stuck closer to the formula that made the first Max Payne such a hit. Maybe a high definition remake of the first one?

but wouldn't all the impossible to please internet weirdo just be bitchin its just a HD rehash and they should of done more with it.

#206 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

@mrcraggle said:

I loved MP 1 and 2 and I didn't really see anything in MP3 that made me feel confident about the direction they were taking it. For most of its development I was actually more concerned that Rockstar wasn't going to live up to the prior games and the 35 gig install for PC put me off even more. Rockstars PC ports have been terrible for this generation of games and to me that made it seem no different.

rubbish. its a great version of the game.

#207 Posted by Winternet (8006 posts) -

Could the fact that Remedy wasn't making this one put people off? I wonder how much did Alan Wake sell.

#208 Posted by Sayishere (1838 posts) -

I just beat the game, its fine, but it isnt outstanding. I prefer Remedys style for the Max Payne series.

#209 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1438 posts) -

I bought it but I regret buying it. Now that I think about it I still never finished l.a. Noire.

#210 Edited by squirrelnacho (329 posts) -

@Fjordson: Remedy didn't have nearly the marketing budget that Max Payne 3 had. The box didn't help either.

@Winternet said:

Could the fact that Remedy wasn't making this one put people off?

Basically. The reveal trailer back in 2009 was poorly received because it looked nothing like Max Payne. The new direction put off old fans who likely held off, and they couldn't rely solely on new fans.

#211 Posted by Pr1mus (3809 posts) -
#212 Posted by MarcioCBarra (1 posts) -

It's a shame i think : / I really enjoyed the tone of MP3, mixing new with old ideas, and the gameplay i thought was very satisfying. But in a way it's not surprising, people's attention were focused mostly on Diablo III. I just hope this doesn't put off rockstar of making other games other than GTA. You could see that the way this game was brimming with detail (the favelas for example) that it was, in some ways, a labour of love.

#213 Edited by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

@Winternet said:

Could the fact that Remedy wasn't making this one put people off? I wonder how much did Alan Wake sell.

Doesn't make any sense. The last two Remedy games have sold poorly at launch. In fact, Max Payne 2 was such a drop off after Max Payne 1 that it's low sales were partly why Remedy had to sell the Max Payne IP to Take-Two.

#214 Posted by squirrelnacho (329 posts) -

@Fjordson: It definitely could be a factor. People who liked the old games and not the new style could have held off, and not enough new people bought it.

#215 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

not that much of a shame, it's not a great game, great games should sell well, mediocre ones shouldn't.

It's just a ton of shooting with a pretty so-so story. I thought the cutscenes and style were quite good, but jesus christ the game got so boring. The tone of the first two is what made them enjoyable for X number of hours, 3 fails to do that and ultimately feels like it was too long.

@doobie said:

@MackGyver said:

They should have stuck closer to the formula that made the first Max Payne such a hit. Maybe a high definition remake of the first one?

but wouldn't all the impossible to please internet weirdo just be bitchin its just a HD rehash and they should of done more with it.

Maybe, maybe not. Would have been less whining if Remedy were allowed to make this game, they're better at story & writing than Rockstar and that's exactly what lets MP3 down the most.

#216 Edited by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

@squirrelnacho said:

@Fjordson: It definitely could be a factor. People who liked the old games and not the new style could have held off

I'm not saying it wasn't a factor, and I'm not trying to argue that Max Payne 3 is perfect and that every Max Payne fan ever loves it. I just mean that the impact of what you're describing was minimal at best. The audience for Max Payne wasn't that big way back when, it doesn't make much sense to target said audience a decade later on entirely new platforms. I'd assume they were going after an infinitely larger audience (Rockstar fans) which makes a hell of a lot more sense in my eyes. The only problem is that it seems they haven't quite figured out how to convince the GTA/Red Dead/LA Noire crowd to jump into these smaller, more linear games.

I also wonder if the direct sequel connection made some people hesitant since they hadn't played the previous two games. I think each GTA game being completely self contained really helps them take off, regardless of when and where they release. And I don't think it's mystery as to why we got Red Dead Redemption instead of "Red Dead Revolver 2".

#217 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

no one cares about max payne anymore except old people like me.

and i totally would not have bought it on release day or ever if i had known about the unskippable cutscenes. i don't even know how many times i've finished the first one. finished 3 once and no way i'm watching all that crap again.

at least in MGS4 you could skip all that crap.

#218 Edited by DharmaBum (1046 posts) -

It seemed like they were strangely trying too hard to appeal to a younger shooter audience, what with the exaggerated MLG marketing before release making it out to be the next big competitive game on the multiplayer scene. For the people into that, it’s likely nothing more than a game about shooting guys in slow motion; they have no knowledge of the character or what he's been through. Maybe they’ve seen the awful Mark Wahlberg movie, or the character might remind them of the dude from Breaking Bad, another key demographic nowadays. Genuine recognition of the Max Payne name seems rather limited after so long.

#219 Posted by ProfessorEss (7280 posts) -
@phrali said:

no one cares about max payne anymore except old people like me.

Yeah I get the impression that the group that remembers, loved and was dying for a new Max Payne may have been smaller than it appeared.
#220 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@2HeadedNinja said:

Well, I bought it, not my fault.

Not your "fault"? There's no fault here, I bought it as well but I'm glad Rockstar bombed, because they fucked me with LA Noire last year, they deserve it.

LA Noire was an amazing game, hoping for a modern day sequel with Ice T! But on topic, I think Rockstar should just stick to open world games, GTA4, RDR and LA Noire all had great atmosphere and setting that no other open world games have acomplished and this is what people expect from Rockstar!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.