Max Payne 3 Delayed Beyond October

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

At least we were ready for another Max Payne 3 delay. During Take-Two's financial conference call yesterday, the publisher revealed that the shooter would be pushed back beyond October 31 (via Joystiq), making good on its own speculation that one big Take-Two fiscal 2010 release could be delayed.  

The reason? Later in the call, CEO Ben Feder said Red Dead Redemption taught Take-Two a lesson about giving titles time enough in the oven to "fulfill [their] potential in the marketplace." He added that Rockstar is "focused on making this the best experience in interactive entertainment"--big words for a crowd of listeners consisting of investors, analysts, and media folk.

In happier news, Max Payne 3's delay comes with news that Mafia II, L.A. Noire and Civilization V are all still on schedule to be released by the end of October. Mafia II is likely to be the first of the bunch. It's slated for release on August 26 on the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC. A demo should drop that month, too, according to what was said during the thrilling call. 
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

At least we were ready for another Max Payne 3 delay. During Take-Two's financial conference call yesterday, the publisher revealed that the shooter would be pushed back beyond October 31 (via Joystiq), making good on its own speculation that one big Take-Two fiscal 2010 release could be delayed.  

The reason? Later in the call, CEO Ben Feder said Red Dead Redemption taught Take-Two a lesson about giving titles time enough in the oven to "fulfill [their] potential in the marketplace." He added that Rockstar is "focused on making this the best experience in interactive entertainment"--big words for a crowd of listeners consisting of investors, analysts, and media folk.

In happier news, Max Payne 3's delay comes with news that Mafia II, L.A. Noire and Civilization V are all still on schedule to be released by the end of October. Mafia II is likely to be the first of the bunch. It's slated for release on August 26 on the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC. A demo should drop that month, too, according to what was said during the thrilling call. 
#2 Edited by i83N (35 posts) -

Sad 
EDIT: First!

#3 Edited by weegieanawrench (1938 posts) -

FUCK

EDIT: Okay, I'll take Mafia then.

#4 Posted by Milkman (16682 posts) -

What else is new?

#5 Posted by Vlaphor (197 posts) -

... about giving titles enough time in the oven to "fulfill [their] potential in the marketplace."

In other words, they plan to spend more than five minutes doing bug-testing this time

#6 Posted by takua108 (1478 posts) -

No Portal 2, potentially no Max Payne 3... man, this fall is getting thinner and thinner.

#7 Posted by Winternet (8014 posts) -

As long as Max Payne 3 delivers, I'm ok.

#8 Posted by ZmillA (2269 posts) -

this is great news, I WANT max payne 3 to succeed

#9 Posted by omgmetalgear (141 posts) -

sad face.

#10 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Now I'll have time to finish the first two games before this comes out...

#11 Posted by teh_destroyer (3566 posts) -

I forgot about this game, if Alan Wake has taught me anything. Max Payne 3 should be fucking awesome.

#12 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -
@teh_destroyer said:
" I forgot about this game, if Alan Wake has taught me anything. Max Payne 3 should be fucking awesome. "
Different developers...
#13 Posted by Cybexx (1165 posts) -

Not sad at all about this. I am a huge Max Payne fan, both games rank really high on my all time favorites list but I don't want them to push out an unfinished game. Bad games are bad forever and I don't want them to throw the franchise to the dogs so that the investors are happy, because the investors are always really short sighted. 

I also am not expecting it to be a Remedy style Max Payne either. I'm half expecting this to be open world but then what really sets it apart from GTA, bullet time? I love Bully and that had a long development cycle, I have faith that Rockstar Vancouver will bring out something really cool when they are ready and I am happy that Red Dead Redemption helped Rockstar see it was worth taking the time to polish.

#14 Posted by ZmillA (2269 posts) -
@mosdl said:
" @teh_destroyer said:
" I forgot about this game, if Alan Wake has taught me anything. Max Payne 3 should be fucking awesome. "
Different developers... "

so was RDR and that turned out great
#15 Posted by Zen313 (94 posts) -

Great. the game needed to be pushed back. That guy is NOT Max Payne in my mind.

#16 Posted by Creamypies (4060 posts) -

I reckon it needs the delay. They need all the time in the world to live up to expectations.

#17 Posted by Robitt (350 posts) -
@Cybexx said:
" I'm half expecting this to be open world but then what really sets it apart from GTA, bullet time?  "
Dude, I cringed at that thought. Max Payne for me is all about the focused guided action experience. I can't see this game benefiting anything from being openworld. Then again, I'm no gamedeveloper.
#18 Posted by LtColJaxson (1137 posts) -
@ZmillA said:
" @mosdl said:
" @teh_destroyer said:
so was RDR and that turned out great "
I think you missed his point. Alan Wake is made by Remedy and Max Payne 3 is made by Rockstar - they don't coincide to mean that both have to be great games. 

Whereas RDR and Max Payne 3 make more sense.
#19 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -
#20 Posted by ZmillA (2269 posts) -
@LtColJaxson said:
" @ZmillA said:
" @mosdl said:
" @teh_destroyer said:
so was RDR and that turned out great "
I think you missed his point. Alan Wake is made by Remedy and Max Payne 3 is made by Rockstar - they don't coincide to mean that both have to be great games.   Whereas RDR and Max Payne 3 make more sense. "
I see, most preposterous indeed.
#21 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

I like to think Alan Wake contains the true ending to Max Payne as well as implying Remedy really don't like the idea behind it, so I can't wait for this to get cancelled.

#22 Posted by Olivaw (1215 posts) -

After playing Red Dead Redemption to it's conclusion and being fucking stunned at how good a narrative it was, I now have complete faith in Rockstar to at least produce a Max Payne game that tells some kind of worthwhile story, even if it might not be in the genre-tastic stylings of Sam Lake.

Plus RDR also convinced me that they can make a shooter that looks, sounds, and feels solid and powerful, which is important to a Max Payne game!

And I don't even give a shit about the delay because FUCKING LA NOIRE IS STILL COMING OUT. I long for it's sweet and tender embraces.

#23 Posted by removesstains (66 posts) -

Man they need to start calling the week before E3 "Delay week". these announcements should come after E3 not before.

#24 Posted by JJOR64 (18956 posts) -

If this delay makes the game better, I'm alright with the delay.

#25 Posted by Bionicicide (1213 posts) -

Never expected it this year... more surprised that L.A. Noire isn't getting a delay, especially with Mafia II getting more coverage and under their belt. Weird.

#26 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

After how incredible Red Dead was, they can take all the time they need.

#27 Posted by Kazona (3065 posts) -

If the extra time is really spent on making the game the best it can be, then I am all for the delay.

#28 Posted by Cheapoz (1064 posts) -

That's okay. Because early 2011 is going to be fairly free and open, just like early 2010.

#29 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4602 posts) -

haha lookit Max he's got an old man belly

#30 Posted by EvanFavreau (73 posts) -

I'm ok as long as they take the extra time to make it an actual Max Payne game.

#31 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

fuck

#32 Posted by jakob187 (21665 posts) -

The delay is fine.  Rockstar is quickly becoming the new Blizzard and Valve when it comes to release dates.  However, all three of those companies pump out quality almost every single time.  Can't complain. 

Also, I was unaware that L.A. Noire was going to be out THIS YEAR!  Fuck, that's awesome.  Definitely looking forward to that game.

#33 Posted by Korwin (2851 posts) -

Still can't say I'm excited about another developer taking over Max Payne, the moment you give a franchise to a different developer is the moment it looses a little piece of what makes it great.

#34 Posted by Stonyman65 (2680 posts) -

Oh great another delay for Duke Nukem forever...

wha.. opps sorry I meant max payne 3 ;D

#35 Posted by PJ (1144 posts) -

I still have serious doubts that Rockstar Vancouver can make a Max Payne game that has even an oz of the same personality of the first two games. Remedy can do games whit it, so far RSV can't.

#36 Posted by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -

No that surprised really

#37 Posted by NTM (7344 posts) -

From the look of it, I can't see Max Payne 3, being nearly as great as the last two. Plus, why does he look like every other plain character? The guy from Manhunt, Sam Fisher from Double Agent, etc. He needs to be in his black jacket shaggy black hair and what have you. Otherwise it's less unique by todays standards.
#38 Posted by Rowr (5546 posts) -

This is a good thing.

#39 Posted by CornBREDX (5125 posts) -

The look and setting of Max Payne 3 makes me completely not interested. On top of that, Remedy is not involved. It has sealed its fate.
#40 Posted by Floppypants (798 posts) -

Everyone knows that Rockstar is one of world's best game development studios.  Their most recent game, Red Dead Redemption, is a masterpiece.  Max Payne is a fantastic, critically acclaimed franchise.  I don't think there's any doubt that Max Payne 3 is going to be GOTY-caliber when it's done.  Whenever the game hits shelves, I'm buying it.  They can take as long as they need.

#41 Posted by ch3burashka (5045 posts) -

I'm disappointed, although this was to be expected: apart from the 10+ screens and a single GameInformer article, there has been no news, no vidocs and no other screens. I only hope that this delay helps to better the final game, unlike Alpha Protocol's delay.

#42 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

I am not impatient to play Max Payne 3. Take as long as you want.

#43 Posted by TheSmilingDude (92 posts) -

Max Payne delayed.. Talking about Deja Vu.

#44 Edited by MeatSim (10834 posts) -

Why don't you just come and get me when your game is done then I will take a look at it.

#45 Posted by niamahai (1405 posts) -

who is making Max Payne 3? is it some Rockstar studio or Take2 internal studio?

I can see Max Payne bullet-time system being a hard sell on the console, when cover based shooter is all the rage.

imo despite being GTA's "off year", Take2 did reallly good for 2010.

#46 Posted by Ratfoot (199 posts) -

Good I need more time to wrap up 2.

#47 Posted by Hashbrowns (650 posts) -

Max Payne 3 might be a great game, but if it's not made by Remedy and written by Sam Lake then it's not really Max Payne at all.  It's just bald-guy action game.

#48 Posted by Bouke (1402 posts) -

oh really!? People like your game better if its polished instead of buggy!? That's CRAZY!!
#49 Posted by schizogony (976 posts) -
I WAS LIKE WTH IS ROCKSTAR VANCOVER

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.