Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 15, 2012

The long-awaited third Max Payne game finally arrived in May 2012, courtesy of Rockstar Vancouver. Eight years after the end of Max Payne 2, an aging, burnt-out Max finds one last chance to redeem himself while working as a bodyguard for a rich family in Brazil.

Max Payne 3 PC requirements released. You won't be playing max.

• 145 results
    Avatar image for bigchickendinner
    BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By BigChickenDinner

@whyareyoucrouchingspock: Wild guess here, english isn't your first language?

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
    whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@BigChickenDinner said:

@whyareyoucrouchingspock: Wild guess here, english isn't your first language?

That isn't a wild guess, it's a petty attack because you don't like what I am saying. It's basically what all your responses are from the get go.

@BigChickenDinner said:

@whyareyoucrouchingspock: Your monitor is shit.

I coulsa spellz like tdiz and I would still be more grown up than you. Please stop being a waste of space and do not reply again.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By Animasta

@ElNeebre said:

After GTA IV and LA Noire, I definitely won't be getting Max Payne for anything other than the 360. Rockstar's games as of late have had terrible PC optimization.

they've always had terrible PC optimization; San Andreas was locked at 25 FPS for example.

AlterEqo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By AlterEqo

@Jayzilla said:

@matthias2437 said:

I'm rocking a I7 3930k @ 4.5 ghz, 32 gb ram, 2x GTX 580, 2x 240 gb SSDs I use for gaming. So correction, I WILL be playing max settings. Also you will not need that high of specs to run that considering the fact that no videogame that will be made in the next 5 years will use 16 gbs of ram, and 6 cores/12 threads.

and yet you have 32 gigs of RAM in your gaming rig?

He could do other things with his computer that require this much ram. Video production or sound production.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By probablytuna

That's a lot of slow motion.

easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By easthill

I'll bet money that Rockstar just listed the range of hardware the game runs on. Everything from a 8600GT to a GTX 680 etc.

You won't need a GTX680 to Max the Payne.

whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@easthill said:

I'll bet money that Rockstar just listed the range of hardware the game runs on. Everything from a 8600GT to a GTX 680 etc.

Looking at the response not just on this board but a couple of other gaming centric boards putting this information out at all was a bad idea.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By Sooty

16GB RAM hahahahaha. Prepare for a fucking horrendous port guys.

@easthill said:

You shouldn't, but if it's anything like the mess that was GTA IV on PC you'll need to brute force yourself past the horrid optimisation.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By s10129107

I built my computer 5 years ago and it still hits all the requirements. Don't see why people are complaining.

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
    BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By BigChickenDinner

@whyareyoucrouchingspock: What your saying is non-sense, the game looks fine, the textures look fine, your argument of how great Shogun 2 looks is invalid because its physically impossible for that level of detail seen when zoomed all the way in, to be present when zoomed out. The your monitor is shit comment was a joke, because at first I thought you were trolling. How you can say that those screens don't look good is beyond me. Your use of the word presentation is grossly misused, or used in multiple ways. It wasn't a petty attack, it was me trying to confirm that the reason you weren't understanding what I was saying. Your spelling is fine, your use of words and grammar however is terrible. Along with your opinion. Good day sir.

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#61  Edited By BiG_Weasel

Remember how GTA IV ran on the PC? This is the second coming. Not that I have any interest in Max Payne, but Rockstar should stick to consoles, it would seem.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Th3_James

Good thing I have a quad core hyper threaded @4.25Ghz and an overclocked 7970. I just hope I can run it at decent settings at 2560x1600

AstroCow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By AstroCow

@Sooty: Well we knew that as soon as we saw "Rockstar Games". Prepare for folks whining about getting a patch weeks after the game drops. :)

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Sooty

@Th3_James said:

Good thing I have a quad core hyper threaded @4.25Ghz and an overclocked 7970. I just hope I can run it at decent settings at 2560x1600

I wish you luck because GTA IV was a piece of shit on ATi hardware. I used to get mad stuttering even when at 60 FPS on my HD4870, switched to a Nvidia card and it was fine.

@AstroCow said:

@Sooty: Well we knew that as soon as we saw "Rockstar Games". Prepare for folks whining a patch weeks after the game drops. :)

I still couldn't believe it when GTA IV barely ran at 20FPS on my 3.5Ghz Core 2 Duo back at the time. Being able to run Crysis buttery smooth but not GTA IV (which didn't even look good, those shadows...) was a joke.

Vod_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#65  Edited By Vod_Crack

@Animasta said:

@ElNeebre said:

After GTA IV and LA Noire, I definitely won't be getting Max Payne for anything other than the 360. Rockstar's games as of late have had terrible PC optimization.

they've always had terrible PC optimization; San Andreas was locked at 25 FPS for example.

That's actually not true, not sure where you heard that. San Andreas was one of the last fine PC ports from Rockstar and it was easy to get over 60FPS on that (granted, San Andreas was never a looker.)

whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BiG_Weasel said:

Remember how GTA IV ran on the PC? This is the second coming. Not that I have any interest in Max Payne, but Rockstar should stick to consoles, it would seem.

Putting out a demo would probably help alleviate concerns. Rather than poeple just jumping on torrents because they think they cant run it or the quility of the port will be terrible.

easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By easthill

@BiG_Weasel said:

Why? If they game truly runs on a Dual Core 2.4GHz and 8600GT, I'd say Rockstar have more than done a good enough job.

CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#68  Edited By CosmicQueso

So to sum up...

"Wah, my computer isn't at spec"

"Wah, my ISP sucks, so 35GB is too much"

"Wah, GTA IV sucked on PC"

None of these are this game's fault. Your computer suck? But new stuff. Your ISP sucks? By the box or get a new IP. GTA sucked on PC? What does that have to do with this?

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Sooty

@easthill said:

@BiG_Weasel said:

Why? If they game truly runs on a Dual Core 2.4GHz and 8600GT, I'd say Rockstar have more than done a good enough job.

If you try GTA IV on that hardware it will be unplayable.

@CosmicQueso said:

None of these are this game's fault. Your computer suck? But new stuff. Your ISP sucks? By the box or get a new IP. GTA sucked on PC? What does that have to do with this?

Maybe because it's the same developer who also screwed up L.A. Noire on PC.

Can you not connect the dots?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Animasta

@Vod_Crack said:

@Animasta said:

@ElNeebre said:

That's actually not true, not sure where you heard that. San Andreas was one of the last fine PC ports from Rockstar and it was easy to get over 60FPS on that (granted, San Andreas was never a looker.)

by default it is locked to 25 fps. You can turn it off, but I had to leave it on for a long while.

easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By easthill

@Sooty said:

@easthill said:

@BiG_Weasel said:

But this is about Max Payne 3? Besides, it's not even the same studio making the games.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Sooty

@easthill said:

@Sooty said:

@easthill said:

@BiG_Weasel said:

But this is about Max Payne 3? Besides, it's not even the same studio making the games.

Maybe not the console version but I'm going to guess they're giving it to the same people behind the ports of GTA IV and L.A. Noire which were both terrible on PC.

and a 2.4Ghz Dual Core and an 8600GT is extremely ancient now anyway. The chances are extremely slim.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By rollingzeppelin

I'd just like to point out this hilarious grammatical cock-up:

@whyareyoucrouchingspock said:

it is had a great presentation thats makes use of pc horsepower

On topic, these specs don't explicitly say that the high end equipment is required for max settings. It's probably just the range of hardware that it will run on.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Bell_End

@Sooty said:

@easthill said:

@Sooty said:

@easthill said:

@BiG_Weasel said:

Maybe not the console version but I'm going to guess they're giving it to the same people behind the ports of GTA IV and L.A. Noire which were both terrible on PC.

and a 2.4Ghz Dual Core and an 8600GT is extremely ancient now anyway. The chances are extremely slim.

instead of guessing im going to wait and see how it pans out.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Sooty

@Bell_End said:

@Sooty said:

@easthill said:

@Sooty said:

@easthill said:

@BiG_Weasel said:

It's not really a guess an 8600GT wasn't even a very good card in 2006 and it's 2012 now.

I'll probably get this game on console because Rockstar have screwed up on PC too many times now.

rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@CosmicQueso said:

Your ISP sucks? By the box or get a new IP.

Unfortunately in Canada, all ISP's suck.

whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RollingZeppelin said:

Really funny.

rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@whyareyoucrouchingspock said:

@RollingZeppelin said:

Really funny.

Oh, don't be so sensitive.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Bell_End

i think it looks great.@Sooty said:

@Bell_End said:

@Sooty said:

@easthill said:

@Sooty said:

@easthill said:

@BiG_Weasel said:

It's not really a guess an 8600GT wasn't even a very good card in 2006 and it's 2012 now.

I'll probably get this game on console because Rockstar have screwed up on PC too many times now.

as i say, im going to wait before making that decision. it might be fantastic. seems stupid to just buy it on the 360 with out at least waiting to see what the PC version is like.

whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bell_End said:

No Caption Provided

This kind of exemplifies the point about triangular geometry. Hopefully this is because tessellation isn't implimented yet.

No Caption Provided
    Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Th3_James

@Sooty said:

@Th3_James said:

I wish you luck because GTA IV was a piece of shit on ATi hardware. I used to get mad stuttering even when at 60 FPS on my HD4870, switched to a Nvidia card and it was fine.

@AstroCow said:

@Sooty: Well we knew that as soon as we saw "Rockstar Games". Prepare for folks whining a patch weeks after the game drops. :)

I still couldn't believe it when GTA IV barely ran at 20FPS on my 3.5Ghz Core 2 Duo back at the time. Being able to run Crysis buttery smooth but not GTA IV (which didn't even look good, those shadows...) was a joke.

I can play GTA everything high on 2560 at around 60fps. My 5870 never had any problems with gta, and my 7970 doesn't have any problems. Still, unoptimized as fuck.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#82  Edited By alternate

Smells fishy. Those specs are really high and if they are putting out a boxed copy I can't see them springing for multiple DVDs.

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#83  Edited By BiG_Weasel

@easthill said:

@BiG_Weasel said:

I run a quad core i5 3.0ghz, 8gb of ram, and 1gb GF 545 video card. I run Skyrim at the top settings, and Witcher 2 damn near that. If Rockstar cant' optimize their games better, they need to go back to school, because every other developer out there does just fine with it. Personally, I don't care for Rockstar's games much, so this is really a non-issue. Its just stupid that they can't get a game to run on a top-tier PC that will run on shittier console hardware.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#84  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Yep, so much for Max Payne 3. Not too disappointed though, my desire to play it wasn't that high to begin with.

Talis12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#85  Edited By Talis12

35gb? turn it on, go eat, done! the average game of 10-15gb takes me about 15 minutes.. not that big of a deal. the specs are a bit much though..

whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Regarding graphics. I wouldn't worry too much. Look at what modders done to GTA4. It looks near enough photorealistic at times.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By monetarydread

@Sooty said:

@easthill said:

@BiG_Weasel said:

First off Max Payne isn't GTA 4, the game isn't open world, doesn't have the instant replay editor (the main performance issue with GTA 4 PC, seriously, disable it and you get an extra 20fps) and is using a re-worked version of the engine. I still doubt that a dual core with an 8600gt will play the game that well, but the engine they use is pretty much entirely dependent on the CPU so performance should be easier to cope with.

I remember I tried playing LA Noire on an 8800gt with a core-2-duo running at 2.6GHz and received around 8fps. I installed the game on my dads computer with an 8600gt and a core-2-quad and the game played at 720p, at medium settings, while barely ever dipping below 30fps.

Plus, I am ashamed at the people of this thread. It is almost like nobody here has read pc system requirements before. They almost always have a two sets of figures, one is a low to represent the minimum need to get the game to boot up (not actually minimum requirements), and the other is to play the game maxed out (pun intended). Looking at the veins in Max Paynes arms makes me think that there is a massive amount of tesselation going on in the render and right now hardware is at the point where tesselation needs a beast of a machine to run it properly. Remember a few months ago when Arkham city came out? My old computer could run Arkham City on dx9 maxed out, but turn on DX11 and the game still struggles to catch up (my new system is an i5-2500k, 8gig ddr3, and GTX 680).

easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By easthill

@BiG_Weasel said:

@easthill said:

@BiG_Weasel said:

I run a quad core i5 3.0ghz, 8gb of ram, and 1gb GF 545 video card. I run Skyrim at the top settings, and Witcher 2 damn near that. If Rockstar cant' optimize their games better, they need to go back to school, because every other developer out there does just fine with it. Personally, I don't care for Rockstar's games much, so this is really a non-issue. Its just stupid that they can't get a game to run on a top-tier PC that will run on shittier console hardware.

If we're going by the specs posted they have optimized extremely well, that's all I'm saying. I don't care what they've done before, none of us have tried MP3 yet. Max Payne have primarily been a PC franchise, maybe they've shown the respect the game deserve and made a good port.

NOWHERE does it say you need a GTX680 and a thousand cores to max out the game.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#89  Edited By DeF

@themangalist said:

In an age where terabytes are dirt cheap, I see no problem in 35 gigabytes. But I'd be lying if I said I have that much space to spare for a 10 hour game.

did you miss the little flood incident last summer that caused hard drive prices to skyrocket?

I need to clean out my drives for this game ...35gig is insane!

AstroCow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By AstroCow

@DeF said:

I need to clean out my drives for this game ...35gig is insane!

Even more so if you have an SSD.

easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By easthill

@MonetaryDread said:

Plus, I am ashamed at the people of this thread. It is almost like nobody here has read pc system requirements before. They almost always have a two sets of figures, one is a low to represent the minimum need to get the game to boot up (not actually minimum requirements), and the other is to play the game maxed out (pun intended).

Though that might be true, I'd guess Rockstar have listed the range of hardware supported at release. I don't think you'll need the absolute best available hardware to max the game.

Bravestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Bravestar

wow, look at those high specs! a 5+ year old PC, that could never run BF3, can run Max Payne 3. how dare they release such an unoptimised game. ablublublu.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Hitchenson

DX11 support for Payne 3 pretty much confirms DX11 support for GTA V on PC.

Fuck yes.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#94  Edited By fjordson

I remember seeing people complain about Skyrim's low size requirement and specs, expressing worry that it wouldn't really take advantage of powerful PC's.

Interesting bunch, those PC gamers.....

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Zelyre

@Anwar said:

look at those window frame textures...

Yeah. Ouch. The actual character models themselves are pretty nice; you can see some nice detail on the cloth and hair. It really makes the environment stick out like a sore thumb.

Kinda like an actor standing in front of a green screen. Or a bad photoshop. Like someone took Max from Max Payne 3 and photoshopped him over a wall from Max Payne 1.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#96  Edited By MooseyMcMan

So is the 360 version going to be on multiple discs, or is the console version a more standard size? I suppose no one outside of RockStar is in a position to know that at this time.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By captain_clayman

time to upgrade to gtx 680. call it a hunch, but it's probably just recommending that for marketing, since it just came out. borderlands 2 is saying you need a gtx 680 too (for physX), but you wont.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By BrockNRolla

Those are obscene stats. That's got to be bad optimization.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By ShaggE

I don't mind playing on Medium, but christ, 35 gigs...that's ludicrous.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

16 gigs of RAM? Octo-core (not sure if that's what it is actually called- just a guess)? Are they fucking joking? Jesus, my PC will get destroyed by this by the graphics card alone.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.