Max Payne 3 - Thank you, and rest in peace, sweet prince.

  • 66 results
  • 1
  • 2
Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

This blog is spoiler-free. The title is an Alan Wake script reference.  

  Hello I am your host for the evening, Max "Dual-Wield-It" Payne.
In 13-14 hours within the last 2 days, I've played and beaten Max Payne 3.  
For months before the game came out I had so many mixed and profound feelings about it. There was the insane excitement and anticipation to get into the head of my all time favorite protagonist, dearest of all my friends Max Payne, one more (and last) time, so I can bid him farewell like I've waited to do for years. But there also all the things that make video game development simply unfortunate in my eyes.
 
My worries were: Over-simplifying the game's shooting mechanics and level deisgn so it sells more and has more appeal for the wider, lighter gaming audience. Leaving the sorrowful, heartbreaking and up-close-and-personal noire tale of Max Payne to go for a more generic Rockstar Games character arc. Featuring a sloppy, basic, freedom-restricting form of bullet-time and shootdodging, coupled with the terribad Rockstar shooting (I think it's great in IV and RDR, but it would suck for a linear bullet-time focused game). Totally ruining the game on PC (where Max Payne was born and will always belong) by porting it with their dicks while their hands are tied behind their backs and their eyes closed shut.   
And most importantly, Max losing his personality and charm. His legendary molongues and one liners during the game's cutscenes and various gameplay moments.
 My favorite throwing up material. 
  
Two of my three all time favorite franchises had been ruined less than a year ago: Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3. And since they say death comes in threes, it only made sense for me to expect Max to die in this new sequel as well. His soul to die, his action moves and great monologues, not him passing away in the game.
(P.S. the first BF3 DLC redeemed the game somewhat, and the fall DLC "Armored Kill" looks like it will be the salvation of the game. Here's hoping!)
 
Were any of my worries legitimate? WAS I RIGHT?!
I was so wrong

Max Payne 3 (2012)

Blog legend:
  • "Points" means I'm rewarding the game for doing something well. 
  • ">>" is for funny screenshots/interesting observations.
  • P.S. The words in yellow below are LINKED TO SCREENSHOTS. Click on them to enlarge on-screen!
Game intro:
"Time to move on, get on with my life. Yes, absolutely. Now, like I said, it was a long time ago. Let it go, seriously." 
From the opening cutscene where Max has a conversation with himself, trying to convince himself that this new beginning is good for him and that there's no harm in trying this new job, I was hooked. The Max Payne 2 theme was used beautifully, Max looks and sounds like he's the older extension of his 9-years-younger self. Points: 2     

   
The game has a TON of PC options, from gameplay to controls to graphics, and it runs sooooo smoothly. Points: 6 
Old man trying to play the piano again. References to MP1 and 2 from the get go? Yes please. 
The game begins with a flash back of the last moment of the story, just like the first two games. Max is reflecting on what he has done so far, with a tone that mixes confidence, regret and uncertainty. Points: 8
Now to be honest in the first couple of levels (villa party and disco club), I wasn't feeling the gameplay. Max was too heavy, a little clumsy, and I didn't know how to dynamically and swiftly use bullet-time and shootdodging, especially that the mouse sensitivity, even when turned all the way up, was just not high enough to spin the reticule 360 degrees 10 times before hitting the ground. The only way I know how. 
  
>> Max hanging from a ledge: #1 
 
In addition to his disorienting weight/movement and the dissatisfying shootdodges/mouse sensitivity, the camera effects were pretty ridiculous as well. I mean, come on. Those were my initial impressions, bear in mind. 
I also wasn't fond of taking cover in a Max Payne game, but seeing as the shootdodging wasn't very fun and the weapon controls just felt weird, i found myself either taking cover or repeating the gunfights over and over until I finished them untouched. The only way I know how.  
Yes, I actually restart the checkpoint over and over til i empty a room or clear a yard untouched, or with minimal damage taken. 
However the game gets a couple of points for having proper Max Payne levels to be explored. I felt right at home. I mean, exploring a dirty bathroom is so Max Payne. Ohhh yeeeahhh. Points: 10
  
>> KILL CAM : "Don't shoot the gun out of my hand while I'm dancing!" 
>> Glitch/bug #1 and #2 - misplaced cart light / Wall behind the door.
>> AERIAL SHOOTDODGE.
>> These textures are kinda shit. 
>>You know what I used to do in Max Payne 1? Try to shootdodge outside the map. MP3 totally let me do that, haha. Look how far he got :D  Points: 12 
 
I slowly began to enjoy how gritty and rugged this whole experience is. It felt natural and made sense that an old man Max in a stranger land would turn into such an alien rather than feel familiar. And it was my mission to conquer this alien, tame him and bring him home. 
His confusion, cynicism and moodiness played a great role in presenting his state of mind in this game.
 Beautiful.
And then we're back in New York. The place I've literally lived in as Max Payne for all these years. And it looks. so. damn. identical. to MP1 and 2...  POINTS: 20   
>> Is it me, or is Max's tie supposed to resemble his old shirt from MP1? (The one lying in the bathroom in MP2, by the way). FUCK that's awesome!
Again, totally makes sense that this old man Max is sitting in a bar drinking his life away, being messed with by the younger generation of New Jersey. The story and Max's old tired voice are starting to grow on me, but what about the gameplay?  
 >> Max hanging from a ledge: #2
>> Running through a burning apartment building is SO MAX PAYNE 2. This, too. Points: 22 
>> This rifle is ALIVE! 
>>This guy forgot his face

Escape from New York (JUST LOOK AT IT) with Passos after having the best nostalgia-drenched fan service I've seen in ages, with a huge smile on my face, and then begins the FIRST STEALTH MISSION IN MAX PAYNE HISTORY! Playing stealth in Max Payne just felt.. really cool! Look at him sneaking around with his silenced pistol :D 
 
>> Yo, remember in Max Payne 1 when you shoot the yellow tire stopper to make the big trailer roll onto the enemies? MAX PAYNE 3 DID IT! Points: 24 
>> Kudos on bringing back Captain Baseball Bat Boy, but too bad it kinda sucks and is in Portuguese. Too bad you didn't bring back Address Unknown. Thanks for trying, though. 
>> Remember finding a camera recording a prostitution room in MP1? Another homage right here! Points: 25 
>> This hobo must be the grandson of Irish from Red Dead Redemption. He's also a reference to the hobo from MP2.
Boom. 
Then in the next level, I had it. I had enough. I thought that I will either make the combat feel like real swift Max Payne, or I'm done. 
I bumped up my mouse DPI to 2000, and set the DPI increase button on my mouse to go up to 5000 DPI when i hit it, and down to 2000 when I decrease is. 
And then..... The real Max Payne action came to life
When I pulled that shit off and recorded it, I was ecstatic. This is Max Payne. You run circling around the enemies, you mix bullet-time with real-time, you shootdodge, and switch weapons on the go. 
YES!  POINTS: 35
 
And just when I found the controls recipe to return Max to his former action glory, the next cutscene returned him to his glorious, determined personality. He shaves his hair,and, just like Sam Lake described it, he turned from a punching bag to someone who delivers punches. He shaved his head as a ritualistic act to regain control over himself. 
I fully endorse Skinhead Max. 
"I felt like a fool. I was a sweaty, grey-haired mess. This place, well.. this place was gonna kill me too. I can see that now. I decided that I was gonna die sober, not drunk. At least then I would see who shot me." 
"IT WAS TIME TO TAKE BACK CONTROL from whoever was out to get me. If I didn't flush them out, at least my mid-life crisis would confuse them enough so they did something stupid. It was the only hope I had. I knew I wasn't thinking straight, I'd been drinking and popping painkillers for years." 

>> Max hanging from a ledge #3 
>> Glitch/bug #3: Shootdodging to the right made some form of surface slide with me to the side and sweep the screen!  
>> Construction site = So Max Payne :D
>> This favela is beautiful.
 
Another flashback to New York.  
It's been nine years since I first saw Max witness the death of his wife and daughter, and this shit still gets to me.  
"We'd only been married a short time. By now she's been dead longer than I knew her. I still haven't really forgiven myself for the Mona business, but I knew that was just grief. The insanity that comes with losing the life you had just built. Michelle.. I missed her with every part of my being. I hated the world for not killing me with her, and I hated myself for allowing this to happen to her, and our little girl. But I knew I had to leave town."   
Michelle and Rose.After 11 years of the release of the first game, we learn his dead baby daughter's name. Just look how sad  he is :(  
 
The first time a game has made me tear up in years.  

POINTS: 100 

 
The remaining few chapters elevate the action, the intelligence and armor and accuracy of the enemies, diversifies the environments some more and consist of being raped by Spec Ops soldiers. I love all of it because it's exactly the way Max Payne 1's last few chapters went through.  
>> This bathroom is pretty  
>> Enemies waiting on the staircase ready to jump out and pop me is SO Max Payne 1. 
>> Filthy apartment building, totally Max Payne 2. 
>> Let's go for a SWIM!
>> Finding the story's big revelation on a top security computer. Just like Max Payne 1 (proof
>>Take cover underneath this plant!
>> A green-lit haze environment, even if it happened for a few seconds, was a TERRIFIC Max Payne 1 throwback (here's why)  
>> If you've beaten the game, you'll understand this.
>> Projector room, just like Max Payne 1   
>> Watching surveillance cameras is so Max Payne 1 (proof) (sexy proof
Points: 150
 

While going through the police station killing the cops and spec ops soldiers, in the most intense and dark of moments while in there, Max utters my now-all time favorite MP quote:  

"Another dark rainy night. Another police station. Another futile crusade for amends... Time moves forward, and nothing changes."  

Fucking goosebumps. Points: 300
 
Killing more cops and going deep into the station, Max begins wondering why he's in this situation, what he's trying to achieve. And he references the Nightmare sequences from the first two games: 
"It was starting to feel as if I'd never leave that place. Like one of those nightmares where you keep running and running only to discover you're chasing yourself."  
Here's what he meant by "chasing yourself" <== The first nightmare sequence from MP1, you end up killing yourself. 
Points: 400 
 
The final level is an amazing and extremely difficult action level where this AWESOME and absolutely fitting song plays: 
    
Points: 450 

The game ends,  

and I am completely fulfilled, from every aspect possible. 
Thank you Rockstar for allowing me to have one more and last adventure in the shoes of my all time favorite character.  
To you I said hello 9 years ago. We've had a good run, man. 
 And to you I say goodbye. A late goodbye. Rest in peace, Max.
Now I know what purpose the credit song in MP2 serves: 

Thanks for reading.  

#1 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

This blog is spoiler-free. The title is an Alan Wake script reference.  

  Hello I am your host for the evening, Max "Dual-Wield-It" Payne.
In 13-14 hours within the last 2 days, I've played and beaten Max Payne 3.  
For months before the game came out I had so many mixed and profound feelings about it. There was the insane excitement and anticipation to get into the head of my all time favorite protagonist, dearest of all my friends Max Payne, one more (and last) time, so I can bid him farewell like I've waited to do for years. But there also all the things that make video game development simply unfortunate in my eyes.
 
My worries were: Over-simplifying the game's shooting mechanics and level deisgn so it sells more and has more appeal for the wider, lighter gaming audience. Leaving the sorrowful, heartbreaking and up-close-and-personal noire tale of Max Payne to go for a more generic Rockstar Games character arc. Featuring a sloppy, basic, freedom-restricting form of bullet-time and shootdodging, coupled with the terribad Rockstar shooting (I think it's great in IV and RDR, but it would suck for a linear bullet-time focused game). Totally ruining the game on PC (where Max Payne was born and will always belong) by porting it with their dicks while their hands are tied behind their backs and their eyes closed shut.   
And most importantly, Max losing his personality and charm. His legendary molongues and one liners during the game's cutscenes and various gameplay moments.
 My favorite throwing up material. 
  
Two of my three all time favorite franchises had been ruined less than a year ago: Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3. And since they say death comes in threes, it only made sense for me to expect Max to die in this new sequel as well. His soul to die, his action moves and great monologues, not him passing away in the game.
(P.S. the first BF3 DLC redeemed the game somewhat, and the fall DLC "Armored Kill" looks like it will be the salvation of the game. Here's hoping!)
 
Were any of my worries legitimate? WAS I RIGHT?!
I was so wrong

Max Payne 3 (2012)

Blog legend:
  • "Points" means I'm rewarding the game for doing something well. 
  • ">>" is for funny screenshots/interesting observations.
  • P.S. The words in yellow below are LINKED TO SCREENSHOTS. Click on them to enlarge on-screen!
Game intro:
"Time to move on, get on with my life. Yes, absolutely. Now, like I said, it was a long time ago. Let it go, seriously." 
From the opening cutscene where Max has a conversation with himself, trying to convince himself that this new beginning is good for him and that there's no harm in trying this new job, I was hooked. The Max Payne 2 theme was used beautifully, Max looks and sounds like he's the older extension of his 9-years-younger self. Points: 2     

   
The game has a TON of PC options, from gameplay to controls to graphics, and it runs sooooo smoothly. Points: 6 
Old man trying to play the piano again. References to MP1 and 2 from the get go? Yes please. 
The game begins with a flash back of the last moment of the story, just like the first two games. Max is reflecting on what he has done so far, with a tone that mixes confidence, regret and uncertainty. Points: 8
Now to be honest in the first couple of levels (villa party and disco club), I wasn't feeling the gameplay. Max was too heavy, a little clumsy, and I didn't know how to dynamically and swiftly use bullet-time and shootdodging, especially that the mouse sensitivity, even when turned all the way up, was just not high enough to spin the reticule 360 degrees 10 times before hitting the ground. The only way I know how. 
  
>> Max hanging from a ledge: #1 
 
In addition to his disorienting weight/movement and the dissatisfying shootdodges/mouse sensitivity, the camera effects were pretty ridiculous as well. I mean, come on. Those were my initial impressions, bear in mind. 
I also wasn't fond of taking cover in a Max Payne game, but seeing as the shootdodging wasn't very fun and the weapon controls just felt weird, i found myself either taking cover or repeating the gunfights over and over until I finished them untouched. The only way I know how.  
Yes, I actually restart the checkpoint over and over til i empty a room or clear a yard untouched, or with minimal damage taken. 
However the game gets a couple of points for having proper Max Payne levels to be explored. I felt right at home. I mean, exploring a dirty bathroom is so Max Payne. Ohhh yeeeahhh. Points: 10
  
>> KILL CAM : "Don't shoot the gun out of my hand while I'm dancing!" 
>> Glitch/bug #1 and #2 - misplaced cart light / Wall behind the door.
>> AERIAL SHOOTDODGE.
>> These textures are kinda shit. 
>>You know what I used to do in Max Payne 1? Try to shootdodge outside the map. MP3 totally let me do that, haha. Look how far he got :D  Points: 12 
 
I slowly began to enjoy how gritty and rugged this whole experience is. It felt natural and made sense that an old man Max in a stranger land would turn into such an alien rather than feel familiar. And it was my mission to conquer this alien, tame him and bring him home. 
His confusion, cynicism and moodiness played a great role in presenting his state of mind in this game.
 Beautiful.
And then we're back in New York. The place I've literally lived in as Max Payne for all these years. And it looks. so. damn. identical. to MP1 and 2...  POINTS: 20   
>> Is it me, or is Max's tie supposed to resemble his old shirt from MP1? (The one lying in the bathroom in MP2, by the way). FUCK that's awesome!
Again, totally makes sense that this old man Max is sitting in a bar drinking his life away, being messed with by the younger generation of New Jersey. The story and Max's old tired voice are starting to grow on me, but what about the gameplay?  
 >> Max hanging from a ledge: #2
>> Running through a burning apartment building is SO MAX PAYNE 2. This, too. Points: 22 
>> This rifle is ALIVE! 
>>This guy forgot his face

Escape from New York (JUST LOOK AT IT) with Passos after having the best nostalgia-drenched fan service I've seen in ages, with a huge smile on my face, and then begins the FIRST STEALTH MISSION IN MAX PAYNE HISTORY! Playing stealth in Max Payne just felt.. really cool! Look at him sneaking around with his silenced pistol :D 
 
>> Yo, remember in Max Payne 1 when you shoot the yellow tire stopper to make the big trailer roll onto the enemies? MAX PAYNE 3 DID IT! Points: 24 
>> Kudos on bringing back Captain Baseball Bat Boy, but too bad it kinda sucks and is in Portuguese. Too bad you didn't bring back Address Unknown. Thanks for trying, though. 
>> Remember finding a camera recording a prostitution room in MP1? Another homage right here! Points: 25 
>> This hobo must be the grandson of Irish from Red Dead Redemption. He's also a reference to the hobo from MP2.
Boom. 
Then in the next level, I had it. I had enough. I thought that I will either make the combat feel like real swift Max Payne, or I'm done. 
I bumped up my mouse DPI to 2000, and set the DPI increase button on my mouse to go up to 5000 DPI when i hit it, and down to 2000 when I decrease is. 
And then..... The real Max Payne action came to life
When I pulled that shit off and recorded it, I was ecstatic. This is Max Payne. You run circling around the enemies, you mix bullet-time with real-time, you shootdodge, and switch weapons on the go. 
YES!  POINTS: 35
 
And just when I found the controls recipe to return Max to his former action glory, the next cutscene returned him to his glorious, determined personality. He shaves his hair,and, just like Sam Lake described it, he turned from a punching bag to someone who delivers punches. He shaved his head as a ritualistic act to regain control over himself. 
I fully endorse Skinhead Max. 
"I felt like a fool. I was a sweaty, grey-haired mess. This place, well.. this place was gonna kill me too. I can see that now. I decided that I was gonna die sober, not drunk. At least then I would see who shot me." 
"IT WAS TIME TO TAKE BACK CONTROL from whoever was out to get me. If I didn't flush them out, at least my mid-life crisis would confuse them enough so they did something stupid. It was the only hope I had. I knew I wasn't thinking straight, I'd been drinking and popping painkillers for years." 

>> Max hanging from a ledge #3 
>> Glitch/bug #3: Shootdodging to the right made some form of surface slide with me to the side and sweep the screen!  
>> Construction site = So Max Payne :D
>> This favela is beautiful.
 
Another flashback to New York.  
It's been nine years since I first saw Max witness the death of his wife and daughter, and this shit still gets to me.  
"We'd only been married a short time. By now she's been dead longer than I knew her. I still haven't really forgiven myself for the Mona business, but I knew that was just grief. The insanity that comes with losing the life you had just built. Michelle.. I missed her with every part of my being. I hated the world for not killing me with her, and I hated myself for allowing this to happen to her, and our little girl. But I knew I had to leave town."   
Michelle and Rose.After 11 years of the release of the first game, we learn his dead baby daughter's name. Just look how sad  he is :(  
 
The first time a game has made me tear up in years.  

POINTS: 100 

 
The remaining few chapters elevate the action, the intelligence and armor and accuracy of the enemies, diversifies the environments some more and consist of being raped by Spec Ops soldiers. I love all of it because it's exactly the way Max Payne 1's last few chapters went through.  
>> This bathroom is pretty  
>> Enemies waiting on the staircase ready to jump out and pop me is SO Max Payne 1. 
>> Filthy apartment building, totally Max Payne 2. 
>> Let's go for a SWIM!
>> Finding the story's big revelation on a top security computer. Just like Max Payne 1 (proof
>>Take cover underneath this plant!
>> A green-lit haze environment, even if it happened for a few seconds, was a TERRIFIC Max Payne 1 throwback (here's why)  
>> If you've beaten the game, you'll understand this.
>> Projector room, just like Max Payne 1   
>> Watching surveillance cameras is so Max Payne 1 (proof) (sexy proof
Points: 150
 

While going through the police station killing the cops and spec ops soldiers, in the most intense and dark of moments while in there, Max utters my now-all time favorite MP quote:  

"Another dark rainy night. Another police station. Another futile crusade for amends... Time moves forward, and nothing changes."  

Fucking goosebumps. Points: 300
 
Killing more cops and going deep into the station, Max begins wondering why he's in this situation, what he's trying to achieve. And he references the Nightmare sequences from the first two games: 
"It was starting to feel as if I'd never leave that place. Like one of those nightmares where you keep running and running only to discover you're chasing yourself."  
Here's what he meant by "chasing yourself" <== The first nightmare sequence from MP1, you end up killing yourself. 
Points: 400 
 
The final level is an amazing and extremely difficult action level where this AWESOME and absolutely fitting song plays: 
    
Points: 450 

The game ends,  

and I am completely fulfilled, from every aspect possible. 
Thank you Rockstar for allowing me to have one more and last adventure in the shoes of my all time favorite character.  
To you I said hello 9 years ago. We've had a good run, man. 
 And to you I say goodbye. A late goodbye. Rest in peace, Max.
Now I know what purpose the credit song in MP2 serves: 

Thanks for reading.  

#2 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -

Glad you enjoyed it =). I'm still trying to truck my way through 1 and 2 to connect some dots in 3. Although I did get far enough to recognize a particular name on a particular gravestone

#3 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

That sound cloud auto-started and I was wondering what the fuck was going on.

#4 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2682 posts) -

I finally finished it last night after playing it off and on for three weeks. I'd say it's about six hours too long and the combat is pretty bland, but I already told you that.

:)

#5 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

I finally finished it last night after playing it off and on for three weeks. I'd say it's about six hours too long and the combat is pretty bland, but I already told you that.

:)

I agree with this, the way the camera switches side so often got really annoying on keyboard too.

#6 Posted by DukesT3 (1891 posts) -

Yeah. The last part was pretty goddamn amazing with that music going in the background.. gave me chills.

#7 Posted by BaneFireLord (2909 posts) -
@Guided_By_Tigers said:

That sound cloud auto-started and I was wondering what the fuck was going on.

#8 Posted by Strife777 (1503 posts) -

Good to know you actually changed your mind and enjoyed it that much.

#9 Posted by Chop (1994 posts) -

@Guided_By_Tigers said:

That sound cloud auto-started and I was wondering what the fuck was going on.

This happened to me too. I had about 10 tabs open and had to scroll through them all to figure out what was going on.

#10 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4594 posts) -

I don't agree with you often, but man you nailed Max Payne 3 for me.

#11 Posted by Linkin10362 (602 posts) -

This was a really good read. I never played the first two Max Payne games, but I'm glad that it lives up to their legacy in your mind. Max Payne 3 definitely seemed like a good closing act.

#12 Edited by leebmx (2216 posts) -

Really loved your piece. I haven't played 1 or 2 so can't comment in that respect but your impression of the game were almost exactly mine. I kind of liked the first few levels and then I fiddled around with the aiming speeds and the character and atmosphere enveloped me and I was totally absorbed.

All the action/shooters out there that try and make you feel like a bad-ass fall at Max's feet. There is no comparison between being stuck behind a gun in COD or in cover in Gears with diving majestically down stairs in slow motion or flinging yourself across a room of enemies and popping off head shots in this game. I let myself die on certain sections just so I could have the pleasure of playing them again.

Also the game was hard, but in a genuine non-cheesy way, the last fight by the plane when you are getting greneaded took me ages but I always felt it was my fault rather than the game.

Playing this game really made me wish I had played 1&2 when they came out and had that kind of seminal experience with them but I doubt it would be the same if I went back.

#13 Posted by bybeach (4725 posts) -

I am really enjoying this too, though it hits me as overly brutal..that is I already understand that without pieces getting blown off.. I'm also dealing w/ a little frustration w/a sniper right now. But most of Max's moves are decent to excellent, and there does seem to be the story. I'm a little irritated by Rockstar, Max was not a loser, he was crushed by life and yet he fought back, though of course he has become his own worst enemy, something I think he would readily admit.

#14 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

Man, that final sequence where that song you embedded breaks in made me feel like I wasn't playing a game, it made me feel like I was playing a movie (in a good sense). In fact, the whole game felt like playing a movie. What I mean is that from start to finish the game has a certain cinematic quality to it. The way the story is written and told and played out before your eyes ... it really did draw me in. It doesn't seem like it was that long ago when I shot those first couple goons in the subway of MP1 ... man, time flies.

Also, I can't state how much I enjoyed the New Jersey sequence. That flashback was a perfect homage to previous Max Payne titles. Wandering Hoboken at night with a pistol in hand and snow on the ground, that is Max Payne.

said: >>Take cover underneath this planet!

I was expecting something crazy, but then I realized you meant to say plant. I was disappointed.

#15 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Chop said:

@Guided_By_Tigers said:

That sound cloud auto-started and I was wondering what the fuck was going on.

This happened to me too. I had about 10 tabs open and had to scroll through them all to figure out what was going on.

Fixed now. 
 

@Oldirtybearon

said:

I don't agree with you often, but man you nailed Max Payne 3 for me.

I'm glad!  
 

@Linkin10362

said:

This was a really good read. I never played the first two Max Payne games, but I'm glad that it lives up to their legacy in your mind. Max Payne 3 definitely seemed like a good closing act.

It absolutely is, and thanks for reading. 
#16 Posted by TooWalrus (13136 posts) -

Read the whole thing, I can't wait to finish the game. I've got 6 chapters left, I'll finish it soon, I'll probably play some more after work (though I've still been spending far, far too much time with Diablo).

#17 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Now you have to jump into multiplayer.

#18 Edited by DharmaBum (1046 posts) -

Great series of blog posts, duder! It's interesting to view the trilogy as a whole now.

This is definitely my current game of the year - it had me hooked the entire way through, and I tried to soak up every morsel of bullet ballet nostalgia that it had to offer. Such a seamless, exhilarating rendition of the Max Payne formula, done with beautiful set design and brilliantly modernized gunplay that transcends the confines of its genre. I walked away satisfied that Rockstar had done their homework while not leaning too heavily on the established material.

#19 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

may payne 3 is pretty cool right guys?

#20 Posted by jjnen (660 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: Did you just spoil me the ending? I haven't yet finished what I think is the last level (airport) because all the dudes keep shooting at me. All of them. And I keep dying.

#21 Posted by hoossy (932 posts) -

nice blog post

#22 Posted by altairre (1126 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: GOD DAMN IT''S THE IRISH GUY FROM RDR! I tried to figure that out the whole game after I saw him. Drove me nuts. Knew I saw him before and was bewildered by the voice because I expected Irish's voice subconsciously. Oh yeah and MP3 on the PC is fucking awesome and in every way superior to the console ones. You can actually play it like a Max Payne game because fuck cover! Shootdodging all day long, son.

#23 Posted by Ghostiet (5224 posts) -

This... is actually a pretty good read. I expected nit-picking from you, considering how hostile you were towards this game. Instead, I got a pretty awesome write-up from someone who absolutely loved the game.

Bra-fucking-vo, sir.

#24 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@leebmx said:

All the action/shooters out there that try and make you feel like a bad-ass fall at Max's feet. There is no comparison between being stuck behind a gun in COD or in cover in Gears with diving majestically down stairs in slow motion or flinging yourself across a room of enemies and popping off head shots in this game.

You just got yourself a follower, good sir. 

Also the game was hard, but in a genuine non-cheesy way, the last fight by the plane when you are getting greneaded took me ages but I always felt it was my fault rather than the game.

Actually that last 3 gunfights in the game clearly were Rockstar's "Fuck it, we can't figure out how to intelligently make these levels any harder, lets give the enemies super powers and force the player into cover" move, but hey, I forgive them, the 13 other chapters were perfect. 
I mean that last airport boss battle was absurd and unacceptable.  

Playing this game really made me wish I had played 1&2 when they came out and had that kind of seminal experience with them but I doubt it would be the same if I went back.

You can still do it now, man! Get both games on PC, install them, turn out the lights, put your headphones on, grab the mouse and have a blast. They honestly have barely dated. 
  
@Subjugation said:

Man, that final sequence where that song you embedded breaks in made me feel like I wasn't playing a game, it made me feel like I was playing a movie (in a good sense). In fact, the whole game felt like playing a movie. What I mean is that from start to finish the game has a certain cinematic quality to it. The way the story is written and told and played out before your eyes ... it really did draw me in. It doesn't seem like it was that long ago when I shot those first couple goons in the subway of MP1 ... man, time flies.

Also, I can't state how much I enjoyed the New Jersey sequence. That flashback was a perfect homage to previous Max Payne titles. Wandering Hoboken at night with a pistol in hand and snow on the ground, that is Max Payne.

@AhmadMetallic said: >>Take cover underneath this planet!

I was expecting something crazy, but then I realized you meant to say plant. I was disappointed.

Always love a good Max Payne nostalgia, thanks for sharing! And lol at the planet thing. Fixed now, sorry! :D
#25 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

The last level with that song playing was so so so so good. I loved this game. I was kind of iffy about the shooting at first but once I got used to it (~15 minutes or so) I fucking loved it. It'll be the first game in at least a year and a half that I play through more than once.

#26 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

@Lebensbaum said:

Great series of blog posts, duder! It's interesting to view the trilogy as a whole now.

This is definitely my current game of the year - it had me hooked the entire way through, and I tried to soak up every morsel of bullet ballet nostalgia that it had to offer. Such a seamless, exhilarating rendition of the Max Payne formula, done with beautiful set design and brilliantly modernized gunplay that transcends the confines of its genre. I walked away satisfied that Rockstar had done their homework while not leaning too heavily on the established material.

Awesome goddamn post!

@Rappelsiini said:

@AhmadMetallic: Did you just spoil me the ending? I haven't yet finished what I think is the last level (airport) because all the dudes keep shooting at me. All of them. And I keep dying.

No, the title is an Alan Wake reference, not a Max Payne 3 spoiler. Also, Haha, all of the dudes. Yeah, the last 3 gunfights are extremely unfair. Sadly you have to stick to cover and keep popping heads, for a looooooooong time.

@altairre said:

@AhmadMetallic: GOD DAMN IT''S THE IRISH GUY FROM RDR! I tried to figure that out the whole game after I saw him. Drove me nuts. Knew I saw him before and was bewildered by the voice because I expected Irish's voice subconsciously.

I know @Abyssfull would love this. Maybe he'll even play MP3 because of it!

#27 Posted by GinjaAssassin (158 posts) -

That final section DOES have the perfect music cue. I'm so glad you pointed that out. I had a tough time getting through it like the first 50 times, but that music kept me pumped up and entertained.

#28 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

Playing on normal@AhmadMetallic said:

Actually that last 3 gunfights in the game clearly were Rockstar's "Fuck it, we can't figure out how to intelligently make these levels any harder, lets give the enemies super powers and force the player into cover" move, but hey, I forgive them, the 13 other chapters were perfect.
I mean that last airport boss battle was absurd and unacceptable.

Boss fights always suck, the ones in MP 1/2 were not that great either. I wish games would just remove them.

Surprisngly I played the entire game using pretty much only shootdodge and blind fire and it never got boring.

#29 Posted by MaskofMan (5 posts) -

Great review post! Just enough extra goodies added in to avoid any tldr issues... and it gave me a chance to show a buddy the great music Health did for the game. Now he's online looking to download the soundtrack... lol

#30 Posted by Arouga (66 posts) -

In a very weird way.. I was waiting for your approval of Max Payne 3. Now i am happy.

I even completed it myself and was still waiting to see what you thought and i am now very happy and all i can really say is... yea... What a game.

and the part where the HEALTH song kicks in, dear god. I felt so fucking badass and just thought "It's you and me Max. Let's fucking do it the way it should be done." and just went into this crazy moment of shootdoging and rolling and holding F to go into the roll and picking up the weapon, activating bullet time and just... unloading all the ammo and throwing away the weapon and finding another.. So good.

After the dissapointment that was Battlefield 3, Max Payne came in and fixed this broken heart. Thank you Rockstar.

#31 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Arouga said:

and the part where the HEALTH song kicks in, dear god. I felt so fucking badass and just thought "It's you and me Max. Let's fucking do it the way it should be done." and just went into this crazy moment of shootdoging and rolling and holding F to go into the roll and picking up the weapon, activating bullet time and just... unloading all the ammo and throwing away the weapon and finding another.. So good.

Haha, couldn't be more perfect! 
 
@MaskofMan  said: 

Great review post! Just enough extra goodies added in to avoid any tldr issues... and it gave me a chance to show a buddy the great music Health did for the game. Now he's online looking to download the soundtrack... lol

Thanks, appreciated! 
Rockstar should pay me for getting their soundtrack sold!
#32 Posted by Kazona (3059 posts) -

I completely agree with you. Just one question. Did you use the tracking and slow down features? I've finished the game, but all throughout I couldn't decide whether I hated or loved those features.

#33 Posted by ShaggE (6331 posts) -

This really is one hell of an amazing game that just doesn't let go, even after you've finished it. It's not flawless, but I'll think back on MP3 as one of my favorite games for many years to come.

#34 Posted by TheBlackPigeon (314 posts) -

It may be hard to believe, but there was never a doubt in my mind that Rockstar wouldn't do Max Payne justice. And lo and behold, my faith in them is vindicated.

It's good to hear from people who enjoy Max Payne games, and it's great to know that Max Payne 3 did not disappoint you. Definitely on my Best of 2012 list!

#35 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

So if we both loved Max Payne and Crysis, but you hated Crysis 2 and I loved it, this can only mean that because you loved Max Payne 3, I must hate it.

Thank you, sir. You have saved me 60 munnies.

#36 Edited by Eaxis (899 posts) -

Really enjoyed the blog post. I am almost done with my second playtrough on hard and It is fun the second time around knowing where the enemies are to get the upper hand on them, and the skills from playing it once made the combat more fun the second time around. Some parts are unfair even with cover like a certain boat deck and airport.

#37 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Kazona said:

I completely agree with you. Just one question. Did you use the tracking and slow down features? I've finished the game, but all throughout I couldn't decide whether I hated or loved those features.

I turn any and all assisting systems off.  I like it raw and challenging.
 
@mandude said:

you hated Crysis 2 and I loved it

It's like I don't know you anymore. Please just pack your stuff and.... leave... Just leave!
#38 Posted by JEC03 (898 posts) -

Great blog man I just finished the game today part of me wish it was longer it was so good. The last level was really hard but that's what I loved about it finally a modern game that's actually doesn't hold your hand and it makes you think tactically also when that song starts playing boy it really felt damn epic RS did such a great great job with this game I don't know any other Dev that could pull it off.I also feel the same too about BF3 and Crysis 2 those games are former shells of what they use to be everything that made them good is either gone or has has been dumbed down for the COD crowd it really is shit thank goodness for Rockstar and Remedy definitely my two favorite developers without them gaming would be pretty much shit.

#39 Posted by ArclightBorealis (1563 posts) -

Finished the game earlier today, and I loved it. And the things you brought up about it made me appreciate it a whole lot more (as expected from a huge Max Payne fan like yourself).

Also, how the hell did I miss Captain Baseball Bat Boy? Only TV thing I saw was an advertisement for pain killers. Must not have looked hard enough, or I didn't wait long enough to show up on the TV that I watched the ad on.

#40 Posted by laserbolts (5311 posts) -

Good to see you enjoyed it. I'm hoping to start playing it soon because it sounds awesome.

#41 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

While I mostly disagree with you on Max Payne 3, I can see why you'd like it so much. Great read.

#42 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
#43 Posted by kishinfoulux (2255 posts) -

Great post and I agree. The game is pretty damn awesome.

#44 Posted by madmanmaple89 (64 posts) -

Good read, sir. This game is just incredible. I appreciate that Rockstar made a real Max Payne game, not something with a pointless, open world or something with regenerating health. This game stuck to the basic Max Payne formula and tweaked enough to make it keep up with the times. This game was hard as hell, but shooting is near pitch-perfect, something Rockstar has struggled with for years. Also, the atmosphere and music is some of the best seen or heard in any other game. I couldn't be more pleased with this game. GTA IV and Red Dead might have been more well-received by reviewers, but this game is way better overall.

#45 Edited by Twiggy199 (496 posts) -

You best not of spoiled the ending for me with the title of your thread, if so, next time, be more subtle. Because that would be a real dick move.

#46 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Twiggy199 said:

You best not of spoiled the ending for me with the title of your thread, if so, next time, be more subtle. Because that would be a real dick move.

Read the very first sentence in the blog.
#47 Posted by Twiggy199 (496 posts) -

Oh thank god, i didn't dare read a sentence but then i saw you had 18,000 posts and thought theres no way this Duder could have trolled for that long and gotten away with it :P.

#48 Posted by Redsox44 (481 posts) -

Really cool thread. I can't wait to try it for myself.

#49 Posted by TRSJabber (26 posts) -

Excellent article, Ahmad. I just finished the game last night and have to say I agree with you on all points. The action level with the song "Tears" was fantastic. It was a perfect song for that scene. Rockstar have done a great job of that with their past couple of games. There were two scenes in Red Dead Redemption where they used a particularly poignant song at an unexpected time to create a beautiful, cinematic moment. It is an effective technique that I hope they continue using in Grand Theft Auto V.

#50 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

I am happy you too enjoyed it, I think its one of the best games this year.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.