Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 15, 2012

The long-awaited third Max Payne game finally arrived in May 2012, courtesy of Rockstar Vancouver. Eight years after the end of Max Payne 2, an aging, burnt-out Max finds one last chance to redeem himself while working as a bodyguard for a rich family in Brazil.

Max's Monologues/Narration - Past or present tense? (spoilers)

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By hbkdx12

Played through the game and constantly found situations where max would say things where he touched upon an immediate upcoming event that he couldn't have possibly known would happen and i'm not talking about any of the flashback levels.

Example-

He makes the statement before he actually did it, which makes for a nice lil comedic effect in the moment, but of course how does that make sense if these thoughts and such are suppose to reflect whats happening at the moment? 

Another example is when

There are a few other examples as well. Was it like this in the other games? I could be wrong but it only seems to happen in cutscenes as oppose to "real time, in game" monologues which still doesn't offer much of an explanation. Am I missing something or does there appear to be some kind of disconnect? I know there was some breaking of the 4th wall in MP2 but i dont remember to what extent or in what context
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By AndrewB

Despite having played both a bajillion times, I don't really remember specifically, but...

Both games actually start at the ending and then flashback to the "beginning," so yeah, he's narrating events that have already happened.
    veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By veektarius

I can't remember other Max Paynes, but I'm willing to bet he narrated in past tense, because that is the noir standard.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

Max Payne was all flashback. Max Payne's 2 mostly flashback sans the last level, and Max Paine 3 is 95% flashback. That has been a nice consistant feature throughout the series.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By napalm

I'm glad they went as far as they did with Max's inner monologue. They definitely didn't skimp out at all on that section of the character. It's definitely a bit more matter-of-fact and not as metaphorical as it was in the previous games, but it's there in full force.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By hbkdx12
    Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Quarters

He always talks from the end of the game. Works that way for all three. Also, , MP2 is all flashback too. It doesn't start with the hospital, it starts with the very end, then goes back to the hospital. The only exception in the series is that you notice that once he loops back around to the point shown at the beginning of MP3, the narration stops.

Never really thought about it. I guess he's talking to us. He's just talking to the same mysterious unseen person that all people narrating stuff talks to. But yeah, sure, he's talking to us. I'll go with that.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hbkdx12

lol fair enough

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.