Rockstar Tweets Some New Max Payne 3 Screens

• 99 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Rockstar Games would like you to know that Max Payne 3 is still a game that it plans to release. At least, that’s the message I’m extrapolating from a recent Rockstar Games tweet, which contains the words “he’s coming” alongside two new images of the titular hero of the series.   

It’s easy to forget that this game is still in the works. After a stunning reveal in 2009 that showed off the grimier and much flabbier side of Max Payne, the project suffered several postponements. It was, at one time, set to release in the first half of 2010, though to be fair, this was the same year that publisher Rockstar and its sister publisher, 2K Games, released three big titles: Mafia II, BioShock 2, and Red Dead Redemption. Now, though, it's uncertain what the release window for Max Payne 3 actually is, and the publisher has, to this point, been more focused on putting out info related to L.A. Noire.

As for what these new screens show us, it appears as though Rockstar might be toning down the grizzled and broken look of 2009’s puffy Max. His chest and forearms are looking pretty good and that shirt? Dude is styling. Wouldn't want to get in his way, that's for sure.     
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Rockstar Games would like you to know that Max Payne 3 is still a game that it plans to release. At least, that’s the message I’m extrapolating from a recent Rockstar Games tweet, which contains the words “he’s coming” alongside two new images of the titular hero of the series.   

It’s easy to forget that this game is still in the works. After a stunning reveal in 2009 that showed off the grimier and much flabbier side of Max Payne, the project suffered several postponements. It was, at one time, set to release in the first half of 2010, though to be fair, this was the same year that publisher Rockstar and its sister publisher, 2K Games, released three big titles: Mafia II, BioShock 2, and Red Dead Redemption. Now, though, it's uncertain what the release window for Max Payne 3 actually is, and the publisher has, to this point, been more focused on putting out info related to L.A. Noire.

As for what these new screens show us, it appears as though Rockstar might be toning down the grizzled and broken look of 2009’s puffy Max. His chest and forearms are looking pretty good and that shirt? Dude is styling. Wouldn't want to get in his way, that's for sure.     
#2 Posted by ComradeCrash (559 posts) -

sweet!

#3 Posted by Faramir82 (68 posts) -

Looks pretty good.

#4 Posted by Yummylee (21652 posts) -

Guy in the top pic resembles Kane from the K&L series.

#5 Posted by LOZZAT (252 posts) -

The first image reminds me of Splinter Cell: Conviction or something, but both look cool; I'm glad to see that Max Payne 3 is actually still alive and that there are screenshots being sent out of it. Hopefully a trailer soon...

#6 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

yeah yeah yeah
#7 Posted by dark_being (20 posts) -

Who can forget about Max Payne? Been waiting forever.  
Good to know it's still in the works and hopefully we'll all get to play it soon.

#8 Posted by ZmillA (2271 posts) -

please be good, please be good

#9 Posted by fillmoejoe (1469 posts) -

Cabo Wabo Max.

#10 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

GOOD. I WANT MOAR MAX.

#11 Posted by dark_being (20 posts) -
@LOZZAT said:
" The first image reminds me of Splinter Cell: Conviction or something..."  
I thought the exact same thing!
#12 Posted by Hailinel (24830 posts) -

Max Payne Forever (Constipated).

#13 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Not by Remedy and new design of character = fail. This is going to be shit.

The old screenshots also looked crap, yeah great let's turn a series known for its gritty visual style into what looks like a wannabe Uncharted.

#14 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -

Rockstar Vancouver did Bully. I feel this game is in capable hands.

#15 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -

Is that first shot supposed to be a flashback to the end of Max Payne 1? If so, they're continuing the proud tradition of making him look completely different in every game. I honestly don't know which one to think of when I hear "Max Payne".

And as for the current one, I see that he still looks like a pedophile.
A most unfortunate fate.

#16 Posted by JJOR64 (18995 posts) -
@Scooper said:
"
 yeah yeah yeah
"
If this character model is DLC, I'm buying this game day one.
#17 Posted by TooWalrus (13202 posts) -
@Underachiever007 said:
" Rockstar Vancouver did Bully. I feel this game is in capable hands. "
Absolutely, can't wait.
#18 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

Yep. Those sure look like pre-rendered screenshots for a video game release that may or may not come out in the near future. Yep yep.

#19 Posted by Tordah (2479 posts) -

Still not sure if I want this game or not, too early to say. Seems like too big of a departure from the legendary Remedy games. Until some story and gameplay footage is released I'll remain highly skeptical.

#20 Posted by GreggD (4505 posts) -
@TooWalrus said:
" @Underachiever007 said:
Absolutely, can't wait. "
#21 Posted by easthill (351 posts) -
@Underachiever007 said:
Don't see how that matter - Bully wasn't exactly what I would call reminiscent of Max Payne, or a decent action game for that matter.
#22 Posted by GRiZZLYFiRE (27 posts) -

Agent 47 (Hitman) and Jack Carver (FarCry)... ok

#23 Posted by Zidd (1846 posts) -

Max payne is looking an awful lot like Jack Carver in that 2nd screenshot.

#24 Posted by bybeach (4831 posts) -

I was happiest how Payne ( in scooper's post) looked in the first game. I accepted how he looked in the second. I do not mind him having an unkempt face and neck beard to later get shaved or trimmed if it is in charactor. I do not mind him starting out flabby but tightening up because he has to. You can't make him young again because he isn't, nor should he be. 

But I do want the Payne I remember, with all his mental turmoil, emotional and physical anguish, and ultimatly his unstoppable balls out determination no matter what. And I do notice it is next to impossible to make out his lower face in those shots...not suprised after the comments last time. rockstar like others probably throws these things out for reaction.
#25 Posted by FoxMulder (1696 posts) -

ugh....this is not looking like a good thing at all.  Max Payne needs to be a gritty noir mystery.  Not some tropical adventure!

#26 Posted by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -

I have had very low hopes for this game since its reveal, but that's not to say I'm not open to playing it if it turns out well...I'll just wait and see.

#27 Posted by Raineko (433 posts) -

Max Payne 1 and 2 were completeley badass.  
But I don't know how this will work in a console generation.
A Max Payne with thumb stick controls and cover system? I dunno man.

#28 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Today I learned that some people don't know what a neck beard is.

#29 Posted by Raineko (433 posts) -
@Ygg said:
" Not by Remedy and new design of character = fail. This is going to be shit.   The old screenshots also looked crap, yeah great let's turn a series known for its gritty visual style into what looks like a wannabe Uncharted. "
not made by Remedy = fail. 
But at the same time made by Rockstar = WIN
#30 Posted by Tesla (1923 posts) -

Bald Max is whack.  

#31 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@GreggD said:
" @TooWalrus said:
Absolutely, can't wait. "
"
#32 Posted by TheHT (11284 posts) -

THe first shot looks like a Max Payne game. The second does not.

But it's not like the Max Payne feel and style is anything abstract. If they can make it work with that tropical shit, then go for it. I can't see how they can, but whatever, that's their job.

#33 Posted by 1337W422102 (1011 posts) -

No Remedy, no Sam Lake, no deal.

#34 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

i adore the first two games and.. i dont know what to think about this

#35 Posted by familyphotoshoot (653 posts) -

If they turn Max Payne into a balding, generic-looking retard, implement a shitty cover system, or tone down the over-the-top Noir aspects I will personally track down and murder the entire development team.

Do not fuck this up, Rockstar.

#36 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -
@easthill said:
Don't see how that matter - Bully wasn't exactly what I would call reminiscent of Max Payne, or a decent action game for that matter. "
But they managed to replicate another developer's signature style of gameplay and do it well. I can see them doing the very same with Max Payne.
#37 Posted by yevinorion (698 posts) -
@familyphotoshoot said:
" If they turn Max Payne into a balding, generic-looking retard, implement a shitty cover system, or tone down the over-the-top Noir aspects I will personally track down and murder the entire development team.  Do not fuck this up, Rockstar. "
Better start stocking up on your ammo and supplies, looks like exactly what they've done from the few screens we've seen.
#38 Posted by gbrading (2036 posts) -

Give him back his hair, get James McCaffery to voice him again... Then we'll talk.

#39 Posted by Jackel2072 (2261 posts) -

im not digging the new max pain look. 

#40 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

He looks the exact same what are you guys talking about..he's just bald and has a beard now. Probably lost his hair because he's getting old and he's depressed.

#41 Posted by ZeroCast (1869 posts) -

E3 is where it's at.  

Until then, I'll reserve all judgment.

#42 Posted by SquirrelGOD (502 posts) -

With the little bit that we know about this game, it's kind of starting to look like it might be "Man on Fire: The Game".  And that, would be fucking AWESOME.

#43 Posted by Tactless (87 posts) -

wait now he looks like that guy from Farcry

#44 Posted by peligroy2k (247 posts) -

sloooooooowwww moooooooooo'!!!!!!

#45 Posted by maskedarcstrike (701 posts) -
@Underachiever007: Wait so I know Remedy sold all the rights to Max Payne back in 2002 but they still made Max Payne 2.  So Remedy isn't developing this title and Rockstar's Vancouver team is?
#46 Posted by riogordo (7 posts) -

YES!!!  This is great news.  Duke = almost back!  Max = still alive!  Everything's going according to plan...

#47 Edited by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -
@maskedarcstrike said:

" @Underachiever007: Wait so I know Remedy sold all the rights to Max Payne back in 2002 but they still made Max Payne 2.  So Remedy isn't developing this title and Rockstar's Vancouver team is? "

Yes. I assume Remedy is working on whatever's next for Alan Wake.
#48 Posted by ajamafalous (11996 posts) -
@Scooper said:
"
 yeah yeah yeah
"
Man, I laugh every time.
#49 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -

NOOOOO. I hope this doesnt ruin fucking Max Payne.

#50 Posted by Doomshine (149 posts) -

it's like they looked at every aspect of the previous games and said: "now how make this the complete opposite?"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.