Seriously....are they playing different games!

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Unilad (555 posts) -

I've read 4 reviews (ign, gametrailers, giantbomb and the Telegraphs) and so far found giantbombs the most balanced.

However, whilst IGN say the single player is disappointing, the telegraph say its the main attraction, and barely mention the multiplayer! Gametrailers is also critical, giving it a 7.6/10 (which is equal to the overall tone of the review)

#2 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

People have different opinions about stuff. News flash.

#3 Posted by PK_Koopa (583 posts) -

I don't know...is that a question!

#4 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

@PK_Koopa said:

Without a question mark, it's really hard to tell a question from a statement? Isn't it.

#5 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Most balanced != I agree with this one the most

#6 Posted by Jimbo (9775 posts) -
@Grissefar said:

@PK_Koopa said:

Without a question mark, it's really hard to tell a question from a statement? Isn't it.

Yes?
#7 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

GiantBomb.com - Fair and Balanced!

Luckily I find Ryan's opinions usually match my own. RDR also had mixed reviews if I remember.

#8 Edited by jozzy (2041 posts) -

I pesonally think Ryan's review of Max Payne is one of the worst reviews I have read on this site. Not because of the score or anything, but just because the review doesn't really explains what he liked and didn't like about the game. Like others have said, it seemed somehow that he didn't really enjoyed playing it, but recognized it as a good game.

#9 Edited by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Giant Bomb's review sounds more like an objective rundown, interspersed with a subjective interjection occasionally. A "balanced review" means absolutely nothing unless the reviewer is blatantly trashing and trolling in a review.

I most enjoyed Polygon's review. It's very informative and contains bucket-loads of information. I'm still on the fence until I know how the mechanics feel.

#10 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Is it only me?

#11 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7054 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow

Is it only me?

Fuck.
#12 Posted by Winternet (8006 posts) -

@mosdl said:

Luckily I find Ryan's opinions usually match my own. RDR also had mixed reviews if I remember.

If by mixed reviews you mean 94% average, then yes, RDR got mixed reviews.

#13 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1803 posts) -

I think the biggest point that Ryan wanted to make in that review was that this is not your daddy's Max Payne. It is truly a Rockstar game.

#14 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

@Winternet said:

@mosdl said:

Wow, great memory there. Perhaps Jeff messed a little with your mind.

#15 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

In my opinion the different opinions stem from every reviewer's "background" on this issue.  
The reviewers who jumped in with "In Rockstar We Trust" on their foreheads gave it perfect scores, the ones whose interest was "This is a sequel to MP1 and 2, let's see how it's delivered" gave it lower scores for being ambitious yet... off, and the people who approached it neutrally as a stand alone video game gave it the lower scores for being a sight-disturbing freedom-restricting cover-based glorified interactive Hollywood picture.

#16 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

Could as well be Kane and Linch 3.

#17 Posted by Winternet (8006 posts) -

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

I think the biggest point that Ryan wanted to make in that review was that this is not your daddy's Max Payne. It is truly a Rockstar game.

I'm sorry, but I'll have to disagree. I think Ryan's biggest point on the review was that this not your grandaddy's Max Payne. It is truly a Rockstar game.

#18 Posted by allworkandlowpay (874 posts) -

Or maybe the game just doesn't appeal to everyone. I thought Gametrailers criticisms all appeared to be valid. They just didn't like it as much.

#19 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Winternet said:

@mosdl said:

Because dropping a Metacritic Critic average is one way to win the argument.

#20 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

Well you can count on one thing. And that is that GT are idiots. So there's that.

#21 Posted by RYNO9881 (625 posts) -

@mosdl said:

RDR was one of the highest rated games the year it came out.

#22 Posted by Winternet (8006 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@Winternet said:

@mosdl said:

a) I didn't drop a Metacritic Critic average b) there is no argument to be made c) seriously?

#23 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@Winternet said:

@mosdl said:

Yes, it certainly wins the argument of whether or not it had mixed reviews. Quite literally, in fact.

#24 Posted by MethodMan008 (806 posts) -

I assume I'm just an echo of many posters before me...

but...

opinions.

#25 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -
#26 Posted by ToTheNines (660 posts) -

No. Different people playing the same game.

#27 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

@Napalm said:

Giant Bomb's review sounds more like an objective rundown, interspersed with a subjective interjection occasionally. A "balanced review" means absolutely nothing unless the reviewer is blatantly trashing and trolling in a review.

This is how I feel as well. Guess Jeff didn't talk to Ryan yet about the new direction he wants reviews to take.

#28 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Winternet said:

@Napalm said:

@Winternet said:

@mosdl said:

a) I didn't drop a Metacritic Critic average b) there is no argument to be made c) seriously?

Then maybe you should source your statements instead of making yourself look like a tool.

Keep that in mind next time you want to drop averages without sourcing your information, dummy. Arguments 101.

#29 Posted by Winternet (8006 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@Winternet said:

@Napalm said:

@Winternet said:

@mosdl said:

Then maybe you should source your statements instead of making yourself look like a tool.

Keep that in mind next time you want to drop averages without sourcing your information, dummy. Arguments 101.

Wait, what? What are you even saying? Where are we? Aren't we in an internet forum? What is going on?

#30 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7054 posts) -

@Grissefar said:

@Napalm said:

@Winternet said:

@mosdl said:

Yes, it certainly wins the argument of whether or not it had mixed reviews. Quite literally, in fact.

Yep. Seems like a killing blow to that argument to me.

#31 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@SmilingPig said:

Could as well be Kane and Linch 3.

That's exactly the impression I get every time I see a trailer. It probably doesn't match the reality of the game, but the aesthetic is right there.

#32 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Winternet: English. Do you speak it?

Source. Your. Information.

#33 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@Napalm said:

Looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

How did this get so caustic? Sheesh.

#34 Posted by Winternet (8006 posts) -

@Napalm said:

Hahaha. Really? This is a forum, son. You don't think my info is correct? Go find it yourself. Because, hey, it may not be 94%. It may be 93.78% or 94.61%.

#35 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@Winternet said:

@mosdl said:

Well by definition a game with mixed reviews would have a lower than 90 average since the scores would be all over the place instead of leaning towards one extreme.

Anyway after all the reviews I've read this still sounds like something I have to get into my hands before I know whether I'll like it or not. Everyone seems to have a different relationship with the series in general, so it's hard to tell for myself.

#36 Posted by allworkandlowpay (874 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@Winternet said:

@Napalm said:

@Winternet said:

@mosdl said:

Dude just walk away. You lost. You know it, we know it. Now it's just getting sad.

#37 Posted by ColinWright (741 posts) -

This thread turned volatile quick. Scores are dumb.

#38 Posted by GooieGreen (453 posts) -

@nintendoeats said:

People have different opinions about stuff. News flash.

#39 Posted by Seedofpower (3925 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

@Grissefar said:

@PK_Koopa said:

Yes?

Maybe.

#40 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Someone fight me, I fucking dare you.

#41 Posted by Winternet (8006 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

Someone fight me, I fucking dare you.

You're wrong!

#42 Posted by Bocam (3673 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse: Get your sword out?

#43 Edited by jozzy (2041 posts) -

@Winternet said:

@Napalm said:

Hahaha. Really? This is a forum, son. You don't think my info is correct? Go find it yourself. Because, hey, it may not be 94%. It may be 93.78% or 94.61%.

Metacritic: 9.5 for the 360, 9.5 for the ps3.

#44 Posted by RoyCampbell (1096 posts) -
@allworkandlowpay said:

@Napalm said:

@Winternet said:

@Napalm said:

@Winternet said:

@mosdl said:

Dude just walk away. You lost. You know it, we know it. Now it's just getting sad.

lol
#45 Posted by iAmJohn (6109 posts) -

Come on guys, let's just chill out, listen to some good music and enjoy the fact that people have different opinions on games and stuff.

This might just be an excuse for me to post a song I've had stuck in my head all day.

#46 Posted by Aetheldod (3513 posts) -
@iAmJohn: What heve you done to me!!!!???  T_T you evil you
#47 Posted by IIGrayFoxII (303 posts) -

Sorry if this is already been said, but different reviewers review each game. I know it is the norm to say IGN, Gamespot, etc reviewed such game, but again it is an individual reviewer who reviews the game and it differs. This happens less at Giantbomb (and is better for it) due to their minimal staff, but the bigger sites especially seem to have different reviewers all the time. As already been said, it is an opinion, one guys trash is another mans gold. There is enough media and knowledge of the game mechanics, developer pedagree, etc to know if it a buy or not regardless of review.

#48 Edited by theveej (812 posts) -

wait so has anyone here actually played this yet? I found highly amusing when people try analyse how fair reviews are without the game being out. Usually user review give a good idea on how fair some critics reviews are for me.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes you can judge a review being fair / unfair without playing it, but MP3 has been a mystery to me, so I don't know what to expect; therefore for all I know any of the reveiws offered so far about the game could be true / plausible. So I'm gonna wait see what other critics say + what user reviews say about the game.

#49 Posted by 71Ranchero (2679 posts) -

Oh god. Big game comes out, people bitch about score. Who cares? Its the least relevant thing in regards to the quality of a game.

#50 Posted by Humanity (8834 posts) -
@Napalm

No one needs to source anything. You got called out on something that was widely known to be inaccurate and your primary course of action was to say "my bad, what I meant was.." or something along those lines instead of a kindergarten rebuke of asking to cite sources. Hey man the Earth isn't flat by the way, want me to cite my sources? Common knowledge, go look it up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.