Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 15, 2012

The long-awaited third Max Payne game finally arrived in May 2012, courtesy of Rockstar Vancouver. Eight years after the end of Max Payne 2, an aging, burnt-out Max finds one last chance to redeem himself while working as a bodyguard for a rich family in Brazil.

Setting the game is Brazil instead of New York is genius.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jerseyscum

When Max Payne was announced, there was some unfortunate rumblings and griping that our boy Max was leaving the cold, gritty streets of New York to the sun soaked favelas of San Paulo. I however think that the setting is absolutely perfect for a Max Payne game and I'm glad the developers decided to set the game in an environment that gamers haven't had the chance to explore in depth before. Allow me to state my case.

1. The Great Big Boring Apple: Seriously how many games are already set in New York? It's a great setting for a game, but it's honestly been done to death. I've already squared off against the Mob and both the Russian military (twice!) and invading alien hordes. And this was just in Manhattan alone! And New York is honestly too safe to set a Max Payne game in these days.

2. A World of Haves (and have nots): Brazil is a country on the rise with economic development and investment growing yearly. Rio was even awarded the rights to hold the 2016 Summer Olympics that will surely pump millions into this developing nation. However, the country has a hell of a dark side. Poverty in the slums of Brazil is endemic, which directly leads to massive amounts of violent crime. The mixture of high and low life has always been a part of the Max Payne games and Brazil is a perfect setting for this theme.

3. Meet (and kill) The Locals: There are so many possibilities of the sheer amount of people who want Max dead this time around. I'm sure we'll get a nice diverse selection of favella street bangers, anti-government drug pushers, dirty cops and special forces to blow away in full bullet time glory. Beefs between the Russians and Italians are played out and it's nice to kill new types of bad guys for a change.

Also, have you see Max recently? The guy obviously could use some time in the sun instead of moping around his apartment. It'd be good for him.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MikeGosot

It actually rains a lot in São Paulo. Usually, if it is a sunny today, it will rain tomorrow. And the day after tomorrow. And the crimes are not just in the favelas, but every-fuckin-where. Recently, we've been dealing with a lot of drug users roaming the streets and stealing whatever they can... But hell, i'm just happy there is a game set in my city. I really hope they touch in the "Police doesn't have mercy" subject.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jerseyscum

@MikeGosot said:

It actually rains a lot in São Paulo. Usually, if it is a sunny today, it will rain tomorrow. And the day after tomorrow. And the crimes are not just in the favelas, but every-fuckin-where. Recently, we've been dealing with a lot of drug users roaming the streets and stealing whatever they can... But hell, i'm just happy there is a game set in my city. I really hope they touch in the "Police doesn't have mercy" subject.

I heard about vigilante killings, this is actually true? The cops are that brutal?

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It sounds like it could put an interesting twist on things, but I think calling the setting of a game in one location instead of another more obvious location "genius" is going too far.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MikeGosot
    @jerseyscum said:

@MikeGosot said:

You carry a piece?

You can't "carry a piece" legally here. But sometimes, i walk holding my keys in a "stab" position.  

Edit: Also, the cops are brutal when they need to be brutal. If you want to know more about this, watch the movie "Elite Squad".

Sometimes, you just need to MacGyver everything.
     Sometimes, you just need to MacGyver everything.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Jimbo

York still doesn't get a look in.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I'm still skeptical.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I was filled with frustration when I saw the new Max, the new setting and the new story... But then Same Lake and Matias Myllyrinne explained it to me beautifully:  

Like you said, Matias thinks that the big rich corporations in Sao Paulo parallel the Aesir corporation or Vlad's fancy joints in New York, just as the Favelas in Sao Paolo parallel the shitty corrupt neighborhoods and rooftops you run through as Max in New York. 
    Moreover, Lake explains how the change in location reflects Max's feeling of being lost, and him shaving his head was his way of doing a personal ritual that allows him to feel like he's re-gained control of himself.  

The new setting now sounds brilliant after listening to their view on it, as well as your argument, and the story sounds like it can expand into deeper emotionality that will somehow tie in to Max's story from MP1&2, and his new look is totally fine by me. Your point on all-new enemies is also intriguing.
    I was making my peace with MP3 and willing to give it another shot.....  
    when this happened: 
    So much daytime footage, so much shouting and screaming, even Max himself is screaming his lungs out... Such lack of night time scenery, such lack of silent inner monologues and thought-provoking narration while moving in the shadows.. 

After the L.A. Noire fiasco, wasting 60 dollars of my hard earned money on that R*-hyped piece of shit, I'm no longer submitting to the hype. I will wait for reviews and MAKE SURE the game has MP1&2's atmosphere and narration and story telling, otherwise I have no interest in Grand Theft Payne 3.
    jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jerseyscum

@MikeGosot said:

@jerseyscum said:

@MikeGosot said:

You carry a piece?

You can't "carry a piece" legally here. But sometimes, i walk holding my keys in a "stab" position.

Edit: Also, the cops are brutal when they need to be brutal. If you want to know more about this, watch the movie "Elite Squad".

Just checked out Elite Squad and it honestly disturbed the shit out of me. Christ, these people basically are a fucking death squad supported by the government! Didn't know the same guy who wrote the screenwriter for City of God also did this film also. Thanks for the recommendation, I might check out the sequel.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Vonocourt

@jerseyscum said:

Just checked out Elite Squad and it honestly disturbed the shit out of me. Christ, these people basically are a fucking death squad supported by the government! Didn't know the same guy who wrote the screenwriter for City of God also did this film also. Thanks for the recommendation, I might check out the sequel.

The sequel is astonishingly better as a film. Don't know how well of a picture it paints of current situation since it deals more with the theoretical than the "based on true events" nature of the first movie.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hatking

@MikeGosot said:

They way you describe it sort of sounds like New York.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@AhmadMetallic: Being someone who appreciates Max Payne, how do you feel about MP3 being predicated - its only reason for existing from a narrative sense - on a retcon? I feel like that's the biggest issue I have with MP3. Max was finally okay at the end of MP2, and to see Rockstar just go "NOPE!" and revert an entire games' worth of character evolution feels sloppy as hell to me.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By TheHT
    @MikeGosot said:
    Ok, that already sounds more interesting than what they've been showing.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Oldirtybearon said:

@AhmadMetallic: Being someone who appreciates Max Payne, how do you feel about MP3 being predicated - its only reason for existing from a narrative sense - on a retcon? I feel like that's the biggest issue I have with MP3. Max was finally okay at the end of MP2, and to see Rockstar just go "NOPE!" and revert an entire games' worth of character evolution feels sloppy as hell to me.

He wasn't exactly "fine", though. Sure, when  
    , but it seemed like a rather hyperbolic moment of clarity and spiritual revelation rather than an actual turning point in his life. I mean I never believed that he was going to be OK. 
    I can easily picture him getting out of the hospital after the ending of MP2, renting a new apartment after the old one blew up, trying to get his life back on track as an NYPD cop and slowly spiraling downwards again as the nights passed while he's alone in bed, reminiscing about his loved ones while getting haunted by the traumatizing events of the two games.  
    He leaves his job, gets offered a fancy bodyguarding job in Brazil, and he takes it because he needed to get away and get any kind of action into his life to replace the pain in his mind. He goes there, stresses out and and starts drinking and neglects his looks, and once again we have a troubled Max Payne, feeling lost and struggling to hang onto anything, trying to kill off his demons forever.  

Hell after writing this post I can see how the rather explosive and loud vibe of MP3 kinda makes sense. It's no longer a quest for revenge or to expose the truth, it's an old jaded man spilling salt on his wounds trying to kill the pain and frustration of the haunting past with everything he has.
    MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MikeGosot
    @jerseyscum: The sequel is better, in my opinion. You should check it out. It goes deeper in a lot of subjects... Also, the police NEEDS to be Death Squad, i mean, the torture scenes in the movie usually happens because the drug dealers offer TV's, refrigerators and even food for people to shut the fuck up when the police comes. And usually, if the drug dealer is not very famous, he's simply not going to jail, 'cause money and shit. And even if he goes to jail... Because of his money, he can usually call whores, throw parties and watch TV's. 'Cause money and shit. 

@Vonocourt: Unfortunately, it paints Brazil's current situation very well. I mean, you remember the reporter? He was based off a real person.

@HatKing: Well, some people call São Paulo the brazilian New York. I think they're wrong, but then again, i've never gone to NY. 

@TheHT: There are a lot of interesting things in São Paulo. There's a favela in front of one of the richest neighborhoods. There's a neighborhood that tried to be like Las Vegas, but after a few years of glory, it just became a violent prostitution point. A good part of my friends lives in that shithole. I doubt Max Payne 3 will touch into these subjects... But it would be fitting you know? A neighborhood that fell from "grace".
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Oldirtybearon:  
    Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

He wasn't exactly "fine", though. Sure, when
    Mona dies, he says that he was reborn and that his wife's deafh no longer pained him
    , but it seemed like a rather hyperbolic moment of clarity and spiritual revelation rather than an actual turning point in his life. I mean I never believed that he was going to be OK. I can easily picture him getting out of the hospital after the ending of MP2, renting a new apartment after the old one blew up, trying to get his life back on track as an NYPD cop and slowly spiraling downwards again as the nights passed while he's alone in bed, reminiscing about his loved ones while getting haunted by the traumatizing events of the two games. He leaves his job, gets offered a fancy bodyguarding job in Brazil, and he takes it because he needed to get away and get any kind of action into his life to replace the pain in his mind. He goes there, stresses out and and starts drinking and neglects his looks, and once again we have a troubled Max Payne, feeling lost and struggling to hang onto anything, trying to kill off his demons forever. Hell after writing this post I can see how the rather explosive and loud vibe of MP3 kinda makes sense. It's no longer a quest for revenge or to expose the truth, it's an old jaded man spilling salt on his wounds trying to kill the pain and frustration of the haunting past with everything he has.

I see how you reached that conclusion. I guess I'm more optimistic. I was fine with there not being a Max Payne 3, as I felt that the ending to MP2 gave all the closure I needed. My interpretation of the ending(s) to MP2 were, like I said, more optimistic about the whole ordeal.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By fjordson

I definitely applaud Rockstar for changing things up. Setting seems interesting to me, not too many games set in Brazil, and the gunplay looks amazing.

@jerseyscum said:

Yeah man, Elite Squad is crazy. Love that movie.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@MikeGosot said:

One of my teachers grew up in São Paulo, place sounds fucking rough.

I'll definitely be checking out those Elite Squad films now, thanks.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MikeGosot
    @PeasantAbuse said:

@MikeGosot said:

Just out of curiosity... Where do you live? Also, even if the place sounds rough and fucked up: São Paulo is one of Brazil's best cities.
    PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@MikeGosot said:

@PeasantAbuse said:

@MikeGosot said:

Just out of curiosity... Where do you live? Also, even if the place sounds rough and fucked up: São Paulo is one of Brazil's best cities.

I'm in the US, Washington state. I live in a town full of hippies so pretty much everywhere sounds rough and fucked up to me :P

Avatar image for condorcalabasas
    CondorCalabasas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CondorCalabasas

Well I disagree in two ways.

1. The setting has little to nothing to do with Max Payne, and noir.

2. Its going to be a bigger hill to climb to get the audience to care about the enemy Max is facing.

In Max Payne, it was easy, find the person responsible for the death of his wife and kid.

In the sequel, it wasn't as easy, but still they managed, Mona was from the first game, and she was a perfect character to build a sequel around, personally I thought Max Payne 2 was a failure in my eyes (I played it countless times to try and convince myself otherwise).

Max Payne 3, is either start off with completely new characters (which seems like thats exactly what they are doing). Or bring a character back from one of the two previous games without making it cheesy.

Starting off with such a new setting isn't going to be easy. Me personally, I want more references to norse mythology, that in my opinion is part of the true definition of a Max Payne game.

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
    BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BigChickenDinner

Every single one of you who "don't like" the setting, please PLEASE play the damn game first.

Reserving judgment about the atmosphere of games until you've played them seems like a logical course of action, but also seems beyond the ability of the internet.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @BigChickenDinner said:

Every single one of you who "don't like" the setting, please PLEASE play the damn game first.

Reserving judgment about the atmosphere of games until you've played them seems like a logical course of action, but also seems beyond the ability of the internet.

No, I'm perfectly fine with people who like to see, analyze, speculate and guess by thinking and comparing games. What the internet is incapable of doing is to stop telling people to play it first, keeping their heads in the sand until the game arrives.
    RuN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RuN

As far as São Paulo being a rough place, its just as rough as any other city like it....New York, Rio etc .

Everywhere is dangerous the media just puts a bit of an exaggerated tone on it, its a fantastic city and I love living here, really excited to see it in the game. Its all about knowing where you are walking and having common sense, you have that and you are just fine. Nothing rough about the city in that sense.

Really looking forward towards the games, and yeah the Elite Squad movies are fantastic. 2 is better.

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
    BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BigChickenDinner

@AhmadMetallic: I find it incredibly difficult to feel any sense of "atmosphere" via some screenshots and some spliced footage of a game. For people to talk about that type of stuff really seems beyond reason to me.

Your post is incredibly contrived, presenting nothing in the way of an argument, and completely ignoring my point.

Do you even know what the words you use mean? They see and analyze what exactly? Speculation and guesses, even by "thinking or Comparing" is a jackasses way of doing things. This isn't religion, you can bring FACTS to the table when a discussion takes place.

At no point did I demand people not pass any judgment on a game prior to release, I just said refrain from passing judgement on the atmosphere. The only way to really get a feel of it is by playing the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.