Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 15, 2012

The long-awaited third Max Payne game finally arrived in May 2012, courtesy of Rockstar Vancouver. Eight years after the end of Max Payne 2, an aging, burnt-out Max finds one last chance to redeem himself while working as a bodyguard for a rich family in Brazil.

Should I play the first two ?

sean2206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By sean2206

So I really want to play this but I haven't played the first 2, I played like half an hour at a friends house years ago and if I remember I enjoyed it although that may have been XIII.

Either way my question is in terms of story should I play the first two games and how do they hold up ?

They're fairly cheap on steam £10 for the bundle of 1 & 2 so getting them isn't a problem but Max Payne 3 is still mostly full price and I wouldn't want to buy it and not get whats going on throughout the game. I know the game takes place years later but there are several flashback sequences I'm told.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Sackmanjones

I've been trying to play them. They are very fun but definitely challenging. Honestly when Ryan said max is more fragile in 3, he clearly hasn't played the first one in awhile. Anyway I didn't finish em and still enjoyed Max Patne 3 immensely. From what I saw of 3 and what I've played of 1 there are just a few hooks that will grab you of you if played the original. 3 is completely its own story so don't worry about it.

McBEEF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By McBEEF

I would absolutely get the first 2 just cause they rock, but Max Payne 3 doesnt have many recurring characters or even reference the first 2 games very much, so you wont miss anything that isnt explained

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

yes.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ShaggE

Oh god, yes. 1 and 2 are must-plays in general, especially 2.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Sean2206 said:

I played like half an hour at a friends house years ago and if I remember I enjoyed it although that may have been XIII.

This sentence is just packed with awesomesauce. Followed! 

So let me ask you this: Why would you want to play the first two games? I'm not saying you shouldn't, I'm asking what reasons are worthy of you doing it?
    Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I played the first two games again right before Max Payne 3 came out, and they're still great. You can easily get through each game in a couple of days, and you can quick save at anytime, making it even easier. However, playing them is not necessary in any way for Max Payne 3, and it may actually be pretty jarring as Max Payne 3 is radically different from the first two.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By Yummylee

@Sackmanjones said:

I've been trying to play them. They are very fun but definitely challenging. Honestly when Ryan said max is my fragile in 3, he clearly hasn't played the first one in awhile. Anyway I didn't finish em and still enjoyed Max Patne 3 immensely. From what I saw of 3 and what I've played of 1 there are just a few hooks that will grab you of you played the original. 3 is completely is own story so don't worry about it.

This here sums it all up pretty nicely. Also yeah, I agree about Ryan's ignorance concerning how consistently weak to... bullets... Max has been across the series. I seem to remember my time in Max Payne 2 being filled with a lot of improvisational cover-taking and the like (EDIT: the part where you play as Mona Sax I especially remember finding pretty difficult). I think that was all glossed over because of how long it had no doubt been since Ryan played it, and since Max Payne is primarily known for its bullet time and shootdodging, that's all that apparently stuck in his mind when he thinks back.

Which is a shame, because while of all the issues he may have had with the different style and tone are just, his, and along with Patrick's, complaints concerning the gameplay are rather unfair. I can't wait to hear why Vinny of all people is also apparently super-down on the game, too.

CarpetRemnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By CarpetRemnant

Yes and then don't play 3.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By ShaggE

What said, except play 3.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SmilingPig

Yes, you should definitely play Kane & Lynch 1 and 2 before you play Max Payne 3.

squirrelnacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By squirrelnacho

The first two are better games. If someone hasn't played the first two (which a number of people haven't), they aren't in a position to talk about how the tone, style, and atmosphere of the third game differs.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By pr1mus

@Yummylee said:

@Sackmanjones said:

I've been trying to play them. They are very fun but definitely challenging. Honestly when Ryan said max is my fragile in 3, he clearly hasn't played the first one in awhile. Anyway I didn't finish em and still enjoyed Max Patne 3 immensely. From what I saw of 3 and what I've played of 1 there are just a few hooks that will grab you of you played the original. 3 is completely is own story so don't worry about it.

This here sums it all up pretty nicely. Also yeah, I agree about Ryan's ignorance concerning how consistently weak to... bullets... Max has been across the series. I seem to remember my time in Max Payne 2 being filled with a lot of improvisational cover-taking and the like. I think that was all glossed over because of how long it had no doubt been since Ryan played it, and since Max Payne is primarily known for its bullet time and shootdodging, that's all that apparently stuck in his mind when he thinks back.

Which is a shame, because while of all the issues he may have had with the different style and tone are just, his, and along with Patrick's, complaints concerning the gameplay are rather unfair. I can't wait to hear why Vinny of all people is also apparently super-down on the game, too.

The GB crew's coverage of the game has been pretty piss poor. Like you said, Max is extremely fragile in the first two, getting one-shotted from 30m away with a shotgun and the like. There's also Jeff saying that Max Payne should be all shootdodge all the time. If he really played the second one like that he played it wrong. With bullet time recharging over time and time slowing down a bit more with each kill, using regular bullet time was absolutely necessary in a lot of cases and more importantly fun! And just because there' wasn't an actual cover mechanic doesn't mean you were not using cover. Patrick is just being Patrick, aka "i didn't play it but its trash" type of comments he regularly throws around.

At least Vinny is always more reasonable and probably has good reasons why he doesn't like it. He's usually more considerate and better informed in his comments. Probably because he plays far fewer games and is a completionist with the one he plays.

And to answer the OP's question. Max Payne 1 and 2 are great games that still hold up today but are not necessary to understand what's going on in 3. You'll get why Max is so messed up but you could just go and read the story on wikipedia for that, Max Payne 3 has a self contained story that doesn't reference the first 2 too much.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Hizang

I was fine having no prior knowledge, it fills you in well and could easily have been the first game.

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Revan_NL

Yes, play the first 2 and then don't play the third one, because you will be dissapointed

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MikkaQ

Yeah because you wanna follow Max as he goes through more and more crazy shit, makes MP3 all the more cathartic for it.

And you know... because they're some of the best shooters in history.

squirrelnacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By squirrelnacho

@Pr1mus: The GB crew's complaints have been about the writing and tone that is not as good as the originals (and they are correct), not just the controls.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#18  Edited By Danteveli

First two parts have better story and that noir climate. If you havent played them experience with3 may be better because there will be less disappointment.

Frag_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Frag_Maniac

Definitely play the first two before this one if you can. It will help you understand Max's situation better and a few characters and incidents they reminisce about in this one. It will also train you how to use bullet time and shoot dodge on games that are a bit easier to play than this one. The main thing this one adds is the cover system and scripted scenarios where the game suddenly thrusts you into the middle of a heated battle. They're all good, I happen to feel this one is the best. It will feel more like a complete package and story if you play through them in order though.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By ch3burashka

YES. They still hold up amazingly well.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Pr1mus said:

@Yummylee said:

@Sackmanjones said:

This here sums it all up pretty nicely. Also yeah, I agree about Ryan's ignorance concerning how consistently weak to... bullets... Max has been across the series. I seem to remember my time in Max Payne 2 being filled with a lot of improvisational cover-taking and the like. I think that was all glossed over because of how long it had no doubt been since Ryan played it, and since Max Payne is primarily known for its bullet time and shootdodging, that's all that apparently stuck in his mind when he thinks back.

The GB crew's coverage of the game has been pretty piss poor. Like you said, Max is extremely fragile in the first two, getting one-shotted from 30m away with a shotgun and the like. There's also Jeff saying that Max Payne should be all shootdodge all the time. If he really played the second one like that he played it wrong. With bullet time recharging over time and time slowing down a bit more with each kill, using regular bullet time was absolutely necessary in a lot of cases and more importantly fun! And just because there' wasn't an actual cover mechanic doesn't mean you were not using cover. Patrick is just being Patrick, aka "i didn't play it but its trash" type of comments he regularly throws around.

At least Vinny is always more reasonable and probably has good reasons why he doesn't like it. He's usually more considerate and better informed in his comments. Probably because he plays far fewer games and is a completionist with the one he plays.

And to answer the OP's question. Max Payne 1 and 2 are great games that still hold up today but are not necessary to understand what's going on in 3. You'll get why Max is so messed up but you could just go and read the story on wikipedia for that, Max Payne 3 has a self contained story that doesn't reference the first 2 too much.

Man nasty spelling on my part! Anyway, it is disappointing to see the shoddy coverage the game has been getting from them. I love Giant Bomb but it seems like they are just out to get this game. And as I said before, Max is EXTREMELY fragile in 1, Im constantly killing one guy then quick save, kill 2 guys, quick save. If anything, the cover mechanic has helped a lot rather than just doing the last gen crouch under stuff.  If you wait for an opening (just like MP 1) there are times where you can use bullet time to devastating effect. Anyway, back to the topic at hand, go and buy Max Payne 3. It's a really incredible game and if you play the other 2 (either before or after 3 which i think is kinda fun) all the power to you. Just don't worry, you wont miss anything story wise if you don't play the first 2. Just know Max's family was killed and he is in a bad place.
    DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DeF

@FiestaUnicorn said:

yes.

absolutely!

not because you wouldn't enjoy the story in 3 but because they're awesome games both with a unique atmosphere pretty much never replicated since (that snow storm in NY feeling still gives me chills with the newsreports on TVs or radios that get cut off by white noise).

The bullet time gameplay is simply timeless. You will not regret it, @Sean2206: !

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By pr1mus

@squirrelnacho said:

@Pr1mus: The GB crew's complaints have been about the writing and tone that is not as good as the originals (and they are correct), not just the controls.

Complains about the writing and tones isn't a problem. These are always subject to each individuals opinions. The problem is when they barely try the game and say stuff like Max being way more fragile than in the first two or that the whole game used to be just shootdodge and nothing more. That's just not true. They can have whatever opinion they want about the game as long as they got their facts straight and it hasn't been the case when they are referencing Max Payne 1 and 2.

sean2206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sean2206

@AhmadMetallic: first of all woo 3 followers.

anyway well I wasn't as into video games at the time of max payne 1 and 2's release but I was aware of them and had a vague interest and now with max payne 3 out. I'd like to play that but I'd like some kind of context if it is needed. They have always just been two games I wanted to play or felt I should because they're some of those games people always mention as some of the best games or landmark titles, but I wondered should I play them for story reasons before max payne 3.

Well I'm convinced I'll pick up the bundle on steam next week and steam roll through those and then get the third game. Hopefully the story should be pretty cool as one long experience in quick succession.

Another question someone said the first 2 could be finished in a few days of serious play but in terms of hours how long are the games and should I spread them out a bit as I have heard people feel fatigue of sorts just playing through 3 ?

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By mosdl

@Pr1mus said:

@squirrelnacho said:

Complains about the writing and tones isn't a problem. These are always subject to each individuals opinions. The problem is when they barely try the game and say stuff like Max being way more fragile than in the first two or that the whole game used to be just shootdodge and nothing more. That's just not true. They can have whatever opinion they want about the game as long as they got their facts straight and it hasn't been the case when they are referencing Max Payne 1 and 2.

I actually agree with them on the fragility, I was experiencing more confusing one shot kills in 3 than in 1/2. Personally I felt the enemies in 3 were more accurate shots.

squirrelnacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By squirrelnacho

@mosdl: Yes, they are right about that, as well as the story and writing not being as good. The damage you took in the first two was more predictable.

@Sackmanjones: You haven't finished them, so perhaps you should before making statements about which game is easier or how the 3rd differs from the first two. The first two are are definitely more forgiving (especially on PC).

The GB crews complaints are valid about the 3rd game's story, style, and writing.

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#27  Edited By DonutFever

You won't need to, the story doesn't require you to know anything it doesn't tell you. 

But I understand that they're fantastic games, so maybe pick them up just to play them.

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jillsandwich

You don't NEED to, because there isn't anything you need to know from the first two going in.

Frag_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Frag_Maniac

Depends how much one cares about character development and missing story pieces, but there ARE parts of this one that will make some that haven't played the first two scratch their heads, like the cemetery for instance. It's more reminiscing than stories intertwining though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.