The aiming alone...

• 97 results
#1 Edited by Napalm (9020 posts) -

EDIT: Finished the game. Found a sweet spot for the aiming. I might do a separate blog about my feelings on the game. Not sure, yet.

Has anybody found a good medium? I'm currently in the middle of the helicopter section in Chapter 2, and I don't think I've ever had to deal with aiming that was so fucking swimmy. Even after multiple changes, it still doesn't feel good. Max feels like he's just going to get away from me and run off-screen any second. I think I understand why they included a hard lock setting for this game, because Jesus Christ, is the aiming pretty poor.

#2 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

pretty poor.... by how angry you sound i expected it to be fucking poor. pretty poor makes it sound not so bad, fucking poor would reflect the tone of your post more.

im waiting for the PC version so will find out then i guess

#3 Edited by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Bell_End: Honestly, it feels exactly like their past games. It feels clunky and swimmy. At least Stranglehold made the aiming function.

#4 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Well, it's Max Payne.. Thee most hyper, twitchy and frantic shooting in a TPS action game. The fact that anyone is playing it by pushing a little rubber stick with their thumb is just wrong :P 
The fact that Rockstar were faithful to the frantic shooting of MP1 and 2 (according to you) makes me more hopeful for the PC version. My mouse hasn't had a real challenge in a long time! 

Edit: Unless I misunderstood you. What do you mean "swimmy"?

#5 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: It's only demanding by the fact that the aiming sucks, so you'll spend too much time trying to line up your shot. Rockstar can't hide the fact that they still suck at making aiming function properly, and Max Payne 3 is a testament to that. I assume they thought throwing in as many options as they can for aiming, hoping that the user will spend endless time throughout the campaign trying to tweak it to the their liking.

So, I immediately turned down the difficulty to Easy and put on Hard Lock because it's really the only way to enjoy the game.

#6 Posted by StingingVelvet (569 posts) -

Haha, assuming it's this way because the PC version is the one to use is to ignore Rockstar PC versions since that company started.

#7 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Whatever. Chuck it up to me being salty as hell. Hopefully I'll find the sweet spot soon.

#8 Posted by Quarters (1675 posts) -

No, I totally understand what you mean. The aiming feels like trying to move a bull. Thank God for the lock on, because otherwise, I would get shot in the face as I'm still trying to move my cursor to the next guy.

#9 Posted by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

Increase your aiming acceleration and it won't feel as sluggish. I have mine bumped up to 8 with free aim and it's silky smooth.

#10 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Lebensbaum: I ended up doing that as well. It still feels a little off. What's your ver/hor aiming speeds set at?

@Quarters: The problem is Max doesn't move as snappy. So, if you point the cursor in a direction, it takes him a quarter of a second to move that way, and he's always taking steps, even after you stop moving the stick.

#11 Posted by Sweep (8841 posts) -

@Quarters said:

No, I totally understand what you mean. The aiming feels like trying to move a bull. Thank God for the lock on, because otherwise, I would get shot in the face as I'm still trying to move my cursor to the next guy.

Max is getting old, man!

#12 Edited by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

@Napalm: right now I'm using 6 horizontal, 7 vertical - it feels natural having played Gears 3 recently. I had sluggish/swimmy aim on default settings as well, but the acceleration option alleviated that familiar Rockstar control issue (an option they lacked in previous games).

Movement nuances can take some getting used to. I'd recommend playing on medium with soft lock at least until it feels comfortable, and while you're shootdodging, feather the L-trigger if necessary when you're trying to rapidly snap between multiple dudes per jump.

#13 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

Playing with free aim and it feels pretty good to me. Definitely had to adjust the sensitivity and acceleration stuff, but I'm doing fine now

#14 Posted by Judoboy (22 posts) -

Why the hell is ANYBODY playing this game on anything but the PC.

#15 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

@Judoboy said:

Because I don't have a gaming PC. Is that a serious question?

#16 Posted by Artigkar (189 posts) -

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@Judoboy said:

Because I don't have a gaming PC. Is that a serious question?

Also the game is still not out on PC, so no one can play it on PC currently. I think he is being silly.

#17 Posted by Demoskinos (14753 posts) -
@Judoboy Because I wanna play it on my 360. I dont need any other reason.
#18 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7076 posts) -
@Judoboy

Because Rockstar has a bad reputation for their PC Ports and some people don't have an extra grand to throw at a new PC.
#19 Posted by ch3burashka (5040 posts) -

Max Payne is a PC game. Deal with it.

#20 Edited by Judoboy (22 posts) -

@PrivateIronTFU: That makes the choice easy. Don't play it until you have a better computer. I don't consider myself a PC snob but Max Payne has always been a series, like diablo and starcraft, that should only be experienced on the PC. I'm disappointed that Ryan reviewed the 360 version.

#21 Edited by AssInAss (2612 posts) -

Sounds exactly like RDR. Not surprised. Is it a deal-breaker?

#22 Posted by sixpin (1287 posts) -

@CH3BURASHKA said:

Max Payne is a video game intended to be played on the platform that most suits your needs and/or preferences. Deal with it.

There you go I made that sounds less dickish for you.

#24 Posted by SASnake (329 posts) -

funny how nobody else mentions it to be PRETTY FUCKING POOR MAN..you just suck.

#25 Posted by Judoboy (22 posts) -

ok ya the PC version isn't out yet. obviously they had to review a console version. But cmon guys.....play the console version and enjoy it...but understand that it's an inferior version. That is assuming that Rockstar doesn't poop on the PC version.

Maybe I'm just bitter because the PC works so much better for this type of game and yet it's becoming subordinate in the mainstream. Sad day.

#26 Posted by Hailinel (24381 posts) -
@Judoboy

ok ya the PC version isn't out yet. obviously they had to review a console version. But cmon guys.....play the console version and enjoy it...but understand that it's an inferior version. That is assuming that Rockstar doesn't poop on the PC version.

Maybe I'm just bitter because the PC works so much better for this type of game and yet it's becoming subordinate in the mainstream. Sad day.

It's inferior to a version that has yet to be released and is therefore an unknown quantity? Ridiculous.
#27 Posted by Demoskinos (14753 posts) -
@Judoboy Rockstar does shit PC ports. The ridiculous system requirements posted for Max 3 scream bad optimization. The fucking witcher 2 doesn't have that crazy of requirements yet they are reccomending 16 GB of ram for the PC version? Fucking crazy.
#28 Edited by Quarters (1675 posts) -

@Judoboy said:

@PrivateIronTFU: That makes the choice easy. Don't play it until you have a better computer. I don't consider myself a PC snob but Max Payne has always been a series, like diablo and starcraft, that should only be experienced on the PC. I'm disappointed that Ryan reviewed the 360 version.

Dude, have you seen the recommended's for the PC version? I'd need hundred upon hundred of dollars to upgrade the stupid thing to that level! I have bills to pay with that money.

#29 Posted by Demoskinos (14753 posts) -
@Judoboy This game was made for consoles and ported to PC. No amount of elitest snobbery will change that.
#30 Posted by Ghostiet (5245 posts) -
@Judoboy said:

But cmon guys.....play the console version and enjoy it...but understand that it's an inferior version. That is assuming that Rockstar doesn't poop on the PC version.

So the PC version is the superior version to the console versions. Unless it isn't. Then it's inferior.

She would be the most beautiful woman in the history of the world, if she wasn't so fucking ugly.

#31 Posted by jakob187 (21663 posts) -

@Judoboy said:

...because while the first game was primarily a PC game that was later ported to consoles, Max Payne 2 on PC was launched only about a month before the console releases, and even then, the strongest layer of popularity with the game still exists within the console market.

Moreover, the constant "PC vs console" argument has grown old and tired. Please find some other elitest shit to spout off somewhere that it possibly still matters. Personally, there are some shooters I prefer on console and others I prefer on PC. Max Payne is one that I would probably play on a console rather than PC...

...especially given Rockstar's track record of their own first-party PC releases...

#32 Posted by Judoboy (22 posts) -

@Judoboy said:

But cmon guys.....play the console version and enjoy it...but understand that it's an inferior version. That is assuming that Rockstar doesn't poop on the PC version.

So the PC version is the superior version to the console versions. Unless it isn't. Then it's inferior.

She would be the most beautiful woman in the history of the world, if she wasn't so fucking ugly.

No, the logic would be that she would be the most beautiful woman in the history of the world, as long as she doesn't grow up malnourished or get punched in the face. It must take an out-of-the-way force, like rockstar peeing on the optimization of the pc version, to fuck up a game that is mechanically built for a pc gaming experience.

Look, I concede. I'm pissed because one of the most beloved series of mine is being befouled. The originals were designed for the PC and ported to the console as an after-thought. The opposite is true now. Obviously it's a different industry. All I want is to re-create the formative experiences that I had with the first 2 games and it looks like I won't get that. :(

#33 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

I'm doing free aim and I don't find it bad at all.  Now, that helicopter bit when you have the sniper with the red 'laser', that seemed really off to me but the normal run and gun is good.

#34 Posted by AlexW00d (6235 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@Judoboy Rockstar does shit PC ports. The ridiculous system requirements posted for Max 3 scream bad optimization. The fucking witcher 2 doesn't have that crazy of requirements yet they are reccomending 16 GB of ram for the PC version? Fucking crazy.

I dunno whether you actually saw the requirements or are going by word of mouth, but all they posted were a 4 year old PC for the min, up to the best you can buy now. It was essentially the worst and the best that can runt he game. I really doubt they are to be taken seriously. And if they are, Rockstar is a fucking joke.

#35 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2150 posts) -

Eh, I never play on default sensitivity with shooters.

#36 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

It may help to turn off the function that slows down the aiming reticule when it gets close to an enemy.

#37 Posted by Muttinus_Rump (814 posts) -

Troll. Ignore it.

#38 Posted by Judoboy (22 posts) -

Last point and I'm never gonna visit this thread again.

Lock-on targeting. Lock-on fucking targeting.....in a max payne game?! I feel like that totally undermines what it means to be a Max Payne game, a game that was originally designed to showcase slow-mo gunplay through diving and shit. The whole nature of the gameplay was for you to feel tension as you pop dudes before your body hits the ground and it goes back into real-time. Locking-on fundamentally changes the game.

#39 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

@Judoboy said:

Last point and I'm never gonna visit this thread again.

Lock-on targeting. Lock-on fucking targeting.....in a max payne game?! I feel like that totally undermines what it means to be a Max Payne game, a game that was originally designed to showcase slow-mo gunplay through diving and shit. The whole nature of the gameplay was for you to feel tension as you pop dudes before your body hits the ground and it goes back into real-time. Locking-on fundamentally changes the game.

Lock-on targeting is optional. Meaning you have the option not to use it.

#40 Posted by SASnake (329 posts) -

@Judoboy: you know you can disable it and turn it to free aim right?

#41 Posted by shrinerr (137 posts) -

yeah, fuck this game. i'm playing on hard with free aim so i can get the trophy. but i might go crazy and tear my hair out before that...

#42 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

The game can be very difficult at times.  You'll have a few points were its you vs an army.

#43 Posted by Brodehouse (9846 posts) -

@CH3BURASHKA said:

Max Payne is a PC game. Deal with it.

Okay, so when games are ported to the PC and don't play well with mouse and keyboard, you won't complain, right? You'll just 'deal with it'.

PC Master Race can't get mad about bad ports, they just have to 'deal with it'.

#44 Posted by Brodehouse (9846 posts) -

@Judoboy said:

Look, I concede. I'm pissed because one of the most beloved series of mine is being befouled. The originals were designed for the PC and ported to the console as an after-thought. The opposite is true now. Obviously it's a different industry. All I want is to re-create the formative experiences that I had with the first 2 games and it looks like I won't get that. :(

It's not a different industry, it's a completely different game made by completely different developers. You want to recreate a formative experience? Why not play the actual games? Why even bother playing a sequel if all you want is it to be exactly like the last game that came out?

Metal Gear was originally a top down 2D game for the MSX. Then it got befouled by Metal Gear Solid. Right?

#45 Edited by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@sins_of_mosin said:

The game can be very difficult at times. You'll have a few points were its you vs an army.

I'm near the end, and yeah, there were a few specific moments where I kept getting killed three or four times over, because it was me v. like eight military guys who all ran out at the same time. There are other times where the death seems kind of random, or a dude just dead-aims me and kills me in half a second. Switching up your approach is a good way to get past those parts. I initially got frustrated at dying all of the time, but it became less of a hassle once you get back in so quickly, and find different ways to approach a scenario.

That stuff can be frustrating, though.

#46 Posted by captain_clayman (3320 posts) -

yeah this is why i'm getting the pc version. that is if it's not shit.

#47 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Quarters said:

Dude, have you seen the recommended's for the PC version? I'd need hundred upon hundred of dollars to upgrade the stupid thing to that level! I have bills to pay with that money.

That's million bucks!

(I made that joke in another thread already, but it's always funny! Step off, haters!)

#48 Posted by Mikemcn (6980 posts) -

Ryan one shotted almost every enemy on that helicopter section, maybe he knows the secret.

#49 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Mikemcn said:

Ryan one shotted almost every enemy on that helicopter section, maybe he knows the secret.

Uh, it's called Hard Lock, which has already been discussed numerous times in this thread already.

#50 Posted by CounterShock (420 posts) -

Be better at video games?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.