The darkest game I ever played! [Spoilers]

#1 Posted by MaxOpower (205 posts) -

Oh my god. This game opens up being all about Max Payne, his addiction and shitty situation. As the game progresses his shit gets even worse, but the story focuses less on him and more and more on this crazy fucking story.

This game deals with some pretty fucked up stuff. Human trafficking, organ farming (?), and some crazy family relationships, police violence (Or more like massacre). And that’s not even mentioning those countless other issues the game brushes over, as if they didn't matter (Though that is probably because of all the other stuff going on) like prostitution, pill and alcohol addiction, drug trafficking, the separation of the poor and the rich, corruption.

The relationships between the Brancos would almost have been enough for this game (Had it not been a Max Payne game). The two younger brothers smiling, but both waiting for the first chance to off their own brother. The heavily hinted love Marcelo have for Fabiana. And the sister relationship between Fabiana and Giovanna.

This game is dark, and gets darker by every minute. Anybody else felt... socked, maybe even slightly violated?

#2 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@MaxOpower said:

This game is dark, and gets darker by every minute. Anybody else felt... socked, maybe even slightly violated?

No.

I've seen Antichrist.

#3 Posted by hoossy (934 posts) -
#4 Posted by Korolev (1707 posts) -

Apart from the "One Angry Gringo manages to kill 1000+ People", it's not that far from reality. Brazil is improving, oh my yes, but just like Mexico, there are some really nice places and some really really unpleasant, dangerous, scary-as-hell places which no sane person would ever want to go into. The Brazilian police are a lot less corrupt now that the government has money to pay them, but according to my Brazilian friends, there's still a lot of corruption and in the 90's, the police were in some cases even more dangerous than the gangs.

Honestly the whole "human trafficking" thing, sick as it is, doesn't shock me because I've heard about it. It's even worse - most of the human trafficking is not for organs, but for sexual slavery and prostitution.

Still, things are improving in Brazil. The Brazil that Max Payne 3 shows is more the Brazil of the 1980's and 1990's. There are parts of Brazil that are still like that, but that is disappearing. The economy of Brazil is starting to really pick-up steam. It's in the top 10 in the world I believe. Granted, a lot of that wealth was built on, erm, destroying and plundering natural resources - but they can use the wealth from that to build an economy that isn't dependent on resources - which is what they are doing (unlike the idiotic Saudi Government which has taken all the money they earned from oil and splashed it on luxury apartments, fancy hotels and weapons from Uncle Sam).

But yeah, Max Payne 3 is pretty dark. But as I said before - no darker than reality (although real life doesn't have time-slowing Americans that can take 100 bullets to the face and still kill thousands upon thousands of people - which is a relief).

#5 Posted by MaxOpower (205 posts) -

@Korolev said:

But yeah, Max Payne 3 is pretty dark. But as I said before - no darker than reality

Yeah I know, but doesn't that make the game even darker. I mean this game puts thing into perspective, and kind of bring all these (to me) very stange and foreign issuse way closer than I might like. I too have seen Antichrist. I spend hours each day on 4chan (Have for years), I agree "violated" is a strong word. But this games gets dark, even though European art films have done it better/worse, or that this shit actually take place (Or have in the 80/90's).

#6 Posted by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -

I didn't find anything about it unnervingly dark.

Maybe i'm just horribly desensitized to all this shit

#7 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Mine would be LA Noire,

#8 Posted by Red12b (9084 posts) -

@TentPole said:

@MaxOpower said:

No.

I've seen Antichrist.

oh yeah. fuck that movie

#9 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

Nope. It's a video game. I'm not gonna get upset over a bunch of kids playing dress-up and pretending they've written a movie.

#10 Posted by jillsandwich (762 posts) -

Rockstar throws dark man.

#11 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

Haha wow.  You think MP3 is dark?  Hell, I can find worse stuff thats actually REAL in the news.  Grow up and get a clue.

#12 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@sins_of_mosin said:

Haha wow. You think MP3 is dark? Hell, I can find worse stuff thats actually REAL in the news. Grow up and get a clue.

No need to be rude.

#13 Posted by jerseyscum (875 posts) -

Rockstar does tend to go to the dark place a bit more than other developers, but I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream still takes it. Goddamn this game is FUCKED.

Suicide, rape, genocide and some human sacrifice thrown in for good measure.

#14 Posted by OldManLight (846 posts) -

@hoossy said:

Violated is a strong word... your uncle touching you is violating... idk if Max Payne 3 falls in that category.

That said, when

Marcelo is burned alive in the tires...

I was pretty shocked

this would have shocked me if i hadn't seen season 2 of the shield several years ago. as soon as i saw where he was standing, i knew where it was going. terrible way to go.

#15 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

Nah not at all..

#16 Edited by Quarters (1703 posts) -

None of it really bothered me. Pretty much on Rambo level violence-wise. There's way darker out there, both in terms of games and movies. Example? End of Drakengard. As in, the last one. That's effed UP.

#17 Posted by innacces14 (735 posts) -

@jerseyscum said:

Rockstar does tend to go to the dark place a bit more than other developers, but I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream still takes it. Goddamn this game is FUCKED.

We have a winner.

#18 Posted by MaxOpower (205 posts) -

@sins_of_mosin said:

Haha wow. You think MP3 is dark? Hell, I can find worse stuff thats actually REAL in the news. Grow up and get a clue.

OMG YOU MUST B THE COOLEST GUY IN SCOL.

I'm sorry, but maybe should grow up. Lots of fucked up things happens around the world each day, some of it is even recorded. But, at least if you ask me, well written stuff always beat raw fottage. When I see I video of some kid that gets beaten up, or some Mexican getting his throat cut open with a chainsaw, I can watch it without thinking to much about it. I don't kow these peopel, I dont know if the kid was a bully, or if the Mexican was a "bad guy".

But when someone go out of there way to set up a story, and make me feel for the victim, it hits much harder than some random video on 4chan.

I'm sorry this tread turned into a fucking contest. I'm not saying that this game is the darkest shit ever, I know the internet. I'm just saying that compared to so many other games, this game gets really really dark. I wanted to share my experience and see if anyone else had felt alike, some did, some didn't. And some thought it necessary to be dicks about it.

#19 Posted by Demoskinos (14834 posts) -

Uh, spoilers much? =\

#20 Posted by dropabombonit (1490 posts) -

The difference is that the dark stuff in Max Payne 3 is there for a reason, Rockstar have it there for a story or gameplay reason. I find it worse when games just stick dark stuff in there to because they think it's edgy and cool

#21 Posted by jmood88 (394 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

Uh, spoilers much? =\

Uh, he clearly stated in the title that there would be spoilers.

#22 Posted by Demoskinos (14834 posts) -

@jmood88: Ah, well reading comprehension on my part eh? In my defense I had just woken up when I posted that. =p

#23 Posted by oraknabo (1464 posts) -

@jerseyscum said:

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream still takes it. Goddamn this game is FUCKED.

I was playing it IHNMAIMS before bed once and as I got into bed, my wife, who was half asleep, asked "how did your game go?" Me: "Not good. I got raped." Her: "Oh, that sounds bad."

#24 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -

@TentPole said:

@MaxOpower said:

No.

I've seen Antichrist.

Ive heard horror stories about that movie.

#25 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

@sins_of_mosin said:

Wait, I don't think anyone was questioning the fact that, yes, things in real life can be dark. He's talking about the fact that the videogame is dark. You just went full retard

#26 Edited by OhdK2 (48 posts) -

I think what the OP meant was more that the game puts things in perspective. I was also kind of unsettled by the game, even though I've "read the news" and "gotten a clue" like some less-than-polite posters mentioned.

It wasn't so much any single bit of violence as much as the sustained culture of aggression, violence, sex, and drugs that these people live in. Always a hair's-breadth away from death, everyone living real close to the edge of life, just fucking and juicing and violence.

It was just like Cicade de Deus. If that didn't bother your middle-class ass, then I think you might have lost your sense of proportion.

#27 Posted by CaLe (3985 posts) -

The only piece of media I've ever felt shocked/disturbed by is a Japanese movie called Cold Fish (冷たい熱帯魚). I felt there was nothing shocking or even intense about Max Payne 3. It felt like a typical action game to me but I did still enjoy it a lot.

#28 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

I buy Rockstar games for the same reason I subscribe to HBO because I enjoy mature content. I did not find anything in Max Payne 3 gratuitous as it all added to what they were trying to achieve with the game. All the "shocking" content justified Max being a murder machine with bullet time.

I think the only thing that shocked me about this game was how amazing it was.

#29 Posted by Bamsen (342 posts) -

@TheHumanDove said:

@sins_of_mosin said:

Wait, I don't think anyone was questioning the fact that, yes, things in real life can be dark. He's talking about the fact that the videogame is dark. You just went full retard

And as we all now never go full retard

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.