Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 15, 2012

The long-awaited third Max Payne game finally arrived in May 2012, courtesy of Rockstar Vancouver. Eight years after the end of Max Payne 2, an aging, burnt-out Max finds one last chance to redeem himself while working as a bodyguard for a rich family in Brazil.

The Man with the Golden Gun

Avatar image for condorcalabasas
    CondorCalabasas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CondorCalabasas

I searched and searched for forums for Max Payne 3, and this one seems to be the most active and popular that I could find.

I did search to see if a thread like mine has already been posted, and I couldn't find one.

Alright, so I noticed that there is an achievement: "A Licence to Kill" with the description: "Collect all golden guns".

Now I don't know about the rest of you, but I've played Call of Duty 4 (I enjoyed it), CoD: Black Ops (I wish I could go back in time and never buy it), and Red Dead Redemption (Love it).

And still to this day I do not understand what this obsession is with developers, and golden guns in their games. I know no one asked to have golden guns in Call of Duty 4, and I know no one asked to have golden guns in Red Dead Redemption.

So why on earth do we have Golden Guns in Max Payne 3?

And on top of that, does anyone know whether or not we will have the choice of putting golden guns on or off?

Frankly I don't mind if I get like 500 headshots with a weapon, and I unlock the weapon in gold, thats fine.

My problem is, if I'am forced to have that weapon in gold for the rest of my playing experience on that profile. I specifically did not pre-order from a certain store, and did not download the DLC for RDR to avoid having golden guns.

For me personally, it completely removes any immersion I had before unlocking the golden weapon, and takes me out of the experience entirely. Instead of thinking "I'am max payne, excuse me while I shoot holes in baddies!" I think "Here I'am playing a video game, as some dude, killing people".

In a game like GTA IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony, it made sense. The guy who gives you the gun in the game, is basically the in game equivalent to Goldfinger from the bond series. He is just obsessed with everything gold, and the entire story was about glamor, bling bling, and ridiculousness. But not a single one of those words above describes Max Payne.

Although some of you might think I'm taking this too far, I care a lot about good games, and Max Payne 1 is one of the best I've ever played, in every single aspect. And after watching previews, interviews, and trailers, I can say I have only one concern about this game. And I'm glad its small, but it could be the reason I don't come back and play this for a second time. I wish this was an official Max Payne forum, so maybe someone who actually works on the game would shed some light, since I think no one knows more than I do.

Anyways, sorry for such a long post, but if I do continue to post here you will get used to my excessively long posts, so I suggest you get over it. (And for some reason I can't double space, so I apologize that this may be a little hard to read)

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By MariachiMacabre

It's a reference to James Bond, obviously. Like RDR, I'm sure there will be an option to turn golden guns off. It's an easter egg. Nothing more. No big deal.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Ravenlight

Would it be cool if they included a Facility deathmatch level a la Goldeneye?

CondorCalabasas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CondorCalabasas

@Ravenlightsaid:

Would it be cool if they included a Facility deathmatch level a la Goldeneye?

I would be all over that.

@MariachiMacabre said:

It's a reference to James Bond, obviously. Like RDR, I'm sure there will be an option to turn golden guns off. It's an easter egg. Nothing more. No big deal.

Yes, haha I know, hence the title of my thread, it too is a reference to James Bond.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By AndrewB

"I'am max payne, excuse me while I shot holes in baddies!"

Oh god damn, if only I was on a computer with a decent image editor right now...

CondorCalabasas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CondorCalabasas

@AndrewBsaid:

"I'am max payne, excuse me while I shot holes in baddies!"

Oh god damn, if only I was on a computer with a decent image editor right now...

I'm not sure if you attempting to make fun of me missing an "o", but you'll have to forgive me, it is awfully early in the morning, I'll edit my post just for you. =)

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By AndrewB

@CondorCalabasas: No, I was just thinking how hilarious it would be for Max to actually say that in a graphic novel scene.

PATJASA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PATJASA

So far golden guns didn't really affect my experience of any game. I agree and I don't really like or understand this "golden" concept myself. Personally, I treat it as video-game-stupidity...sort of like "yeah..I am shooting my friends with a golden gun, that ought to make them mad..." kinda stuff. Some people think that it's some kind of prestige or reputation or whatnot like some of my friend (one of them actually took the trouble to get all the golden skins in CoD4... to me it's madness)

It's ok that it exist in multiplayer I guess, not really for single player, because I think it really draw me away from enjoy the game overall, just like you said, "reminding me that it's a video game" but as long as we can turn it off, it 's cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.